... is now in progress. That is all.
-
Viridian
viridian
Site Admin

Re: Chapter 38...

Unread postby WishIwasASbadASS » October 21st, 2008, 5:55 am

Heh heh heh, your a funny one. Heh heh heh heh.......
WishIwasASbadASS

Unread postby viridian » October 21st, 2008, 6:42 am

No joke. Check the progress meters. I needed to have a thread started for the progress meter to link to when I set it up.
-
Viridian
viridian
Site Admin

Unread postby Darkarma » October 21st, 2008, 11:05 am

Whee, this is pleasantly unexpected! New chapter already started!
Darkarma

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » October 21st, 2008, 2:40 pm

Heh heh heh, your a funny one. Heh heh heh heh.......
he was referring to the fact that some people thought you might be putting up tidbits or something.
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby viridian » October 21st, 2008, 3:13 pm

Oh, you mean about the conversation with Rufus?

Oops!

:mrgreen:
-
Viridian
viridian
Site Admin

Unread postby WishIwasASbadASS » October 21st, 2008, 6:01 pm

Oh, you mean about the conversation with Rufus?

Oops!

:mrgreen:
Yeah, something like that. Heh heh heh, you are a funny one...
WishIwasASbadASS

Unread postby tjchaos » October 21st, 2008, 8:37 pm

Cool. :cool
tjchaos

Unread postby unknown296 » October 21st, 2008, 9:48 pm

Wow, 21% already is definitely cool.
unknown296

Unread postby unknown485 » October 28th, 2008, 5:06 pm

Goodie! I tend to avoid fics that are incomplete, having had too many promising ones vanish into the mist after a couple of chapters, but I figured there was already so much of this one out that this wouldn't happen. All the same, good to see evidence of the next one in the pipe, so to speak.

I've just finished reading all of this story thus far, and I'm impressed. It's not EASY to deal with post traumatic stress (extremely traumatic in this case) affecting your protagonist without either missing the point or fetching up in angst central. Your extrapolations are entertaining, too. Nice job. BTW - do you perchance write original novels for publication, or is fanfic pretty much your domain?

Well, enough for an initial post. You keep writing, I'll keep reading.

:waytogo
unknown485

Unread postby viridian » November 8th, 2008, 1:23 pm

They have a different realtionship dynamic in the new timeline. Merged-Harry is displaying considerable more intellectual horsepower than he did in canon. Also, he's showing a greater degree of discretion - like when he talked to her before he filed a formal complain about Snape. Finally, he not only has differing opinions than she does on some key issues, he is also willing to argue on behalf of his beliefs and does not back down.

She may not feel as sympathetic toward Harry as she did in the canon timeline, but she also respects him just a bit more. Thus the slight change in nomenclature.
-
Viridian
viridian
Site Admin

Unread postby Psalm Of Fire » November 8th, 2008, 10:27 pm

See, it's touches like that...
"That didn't make me cry. I'm just shedding manly tears over something completely unrelated and super masculine. Like an explosion. An exploding robot. An exploding robot that's on fire. DON'T LOOK AT ME!"
-Farmer10
Psalm Of Fire

Unread postby Wraith422 » November 9th, 2008, 1:55 am

Ellos, Viridian.
If I may pose a question or two about this 'magical core' you make use of.
See, I'm interested in expanding on this concept (particularly the parts where they can overload, destabilise, and EXPLODE) for a fic, and would like to know what your conceptualising of it is. Such as, does it have anything to do with magical capability--for example, could smaller or weaker cores explain why some people cannot perform advanced magic like Patronus Charms? Is it possible to intentionally overload one's core, or, as Dumbledore apparently did in that nightmare of Harry's, trigger the meltdown of someone else's, accidentally or otherwise? Is such a thing done by overwork of the core (applying, for a moment, to a thought [can't recall where I read this idea. If it happens to be you, well...I'm a miserable failure of a fan. Such things are known to happen] about it being like a muscle that can be exercised, and perhaps then overworked, torn, etc.) or by exhaustion, what?
Many thanks, should you respond.
Hope to see more of Nightmares soon.
Wraith422

Unread postby viridian » November 9th, 2008, 6:55 am

Yes to all of those. Muscle-like metaphors seem to work well, as they apply to most biology-based systems. (Such as a bell-curve-like distribution when you plot ability on the x-axis and frequency on the y-axis.)
-
Viridian
viridian
Site Admin

Unread postby Psalm Of Fire » November 9th, 2008, 10:23 pm

Wow, that's a stellar example. Where would Lee be on this graph? He he he.
"That didn't make me cry. I'm just shedding manly tears over something completely unrelated and super masculine. Like an explosion. An exploding robot. An exploding robot that's on fire. DON'T LOOK AT ME!"
-Farmer10
Psalm Of Fire

Unread postby Jamey » November 10th, 2008, 1:33 am

Wow, that's a stellar example. Where would Lee be on this graph? He he he.
12 sigmas out.
Jamey

Unread postby Psalm Of Fire » November 10th, 2008, 1:58 am

"Stigmas"? What do you mean by "stigmas"?
-Farmer10
Psalm Of Fire

Unread postby bibliophile20 » November 10th, 2008, 3:08 am

Basic statistics. A bell curve is broken up into standard deviations, which are represented by the σ symbol (lowercase sigma). The concept is basically "how spread out are the data points that are still close together?" Usually, IIRC, anything more than four standard deviations away from the mean is considered to be an outlier and therefore of minimal influence on the statistical graph in most cases. By saying that Rock Lee is 12 standard deviations away from the mean, he's saying that Lee is so far off the chart, you would need a multi-page extension to find where he is on it.

And if that made sense at 2 a.m., I'm impressed with myself. :punch And I'm now going to bed. g'nite.
bibliophile20

Unread postby Psalm Of Fire » November 10th, 2008, 3:42 am

It did make sense by the end, and thank you very much! Be impressed.
-Farmer10
Psalm Of Fire

Unread postby Larrylansday » November 11th, 2008, 2:52 pm

Basic statistics. A bell curve is broken up into standard deviations, which are represented by the σ symbol (lowercase sigma). The concept is basically "how spread out are the data points that are still close together?" Usually, IIRC, anything more than four standard deviations away from the mean is considered to be an outlier and therefore of minimal influence on the statistical graph in most cases. By saying that Rock Lee is 12 standard deviations away from the mean, he's saying that Lee is so far off the chart, you would need a multi-page extension to find where he is on it.

And if that made sense at 2 a.m., I'm impressed with myself. :punch And I'm now going to bed. g'nite.
It was very late at night when I read your post for the first time. I don't know if I should be sad that I understood what you where staying or happy as for seeing that I haven't has a math class that dealt with Bell curves and stigmas in years.

But in concordance Lee would be off the charts for Physical ability.

In NoFP, and in fan-fiction in general, I would think that the Magical Core would be fairly stable once the age of maturity is in effect (around 17-21.) At least that's what I got out of the books and other fics that use the muscle metaphor. (Also I wouldn't doubt that Harry from NoFP wouldn't have a completely stable core till he's 30. (The same age as when he went back in time.))

Well now off to the fun-ness of adult College life. :panic:
Larrylansday

Unread postby unknown511 » December 9th, 2008, 12:19 am

Hey there, I was quite thoroughly impressed with the fanfic, though once I started to approach the end I finally clued into what WIP meant when I payed very little attention to it as I read the 37 chapters over the course of 3-4 days.

I am curious as to how far you plan to take the book chapter wise? You seem to be doing a marvelous job, where you are doing 1 year per 14 chapters. Would Harry's final confrontation be waiting until he's finished school? once his core has stabilized? Waiting for his friends to develop? or dupe the friends to finish the fight before dragging them in. Things seem to be setting up quite nicely, where Harry has the Horcruxes and the basilisk poison to destroy them, he only would have Naggini and the Sorting Hat to worry about and then killing Voldemort. I was hoping that the end is not nigh, though it does seem to be getting very close to setting up for the climax.
While finishing several years and being on the road and possibly forcing Voldemort to stay on the run in a potion screwed up body would be very enthralling, I still do not want this to end.

many thanks,
jc
unknown511

Unread postby unknown316 » December 10th, 2008, 10:54 pm

Will we be getting any Christmas presents Viridian-sama?
unknown316

Unread postby viridian » December 11th, 2008, 8:33 pm

I'm not sure. Work has been pretty hectic lately. And I start a five-week, 200 hour training class next Monday morning.
-
Viridian
viridian
Site Admin

Unread postby MrRigger2 » December 11th, 2008, 8:34 pm

Ooh, sounds like fun. :violin:

MrRigger
In engineering, the work is only done when there is nothing left to add. In writing, the work is only done when there is nothing left to take away.

Check out Between Magic and Mount Justice
MrRigger2

Unread postby unknown535 » January 2nd, 2009, 9:16 am

I've torn through this in two days and I just wanted to tell you how much I am looking forward to the rest of the story. I've read multiple BackInTime fics and this is possibly the best one I've read. I'm really interested in seeing how this progresses and how Fate tries to keep the timestream aligned, especially with regards to Lupin being able to retain the DADA position for a second year and thus keep Moody and Fake!Moody out of play during the TriWizard tourny... or not. Still, there's not much Fate can do about the bones being dug up and destroyed. Can Hermione please have a pet? She might enjoy Pig more than Ron did :>
unknown535

Return to “%s” Harry Potter and the Nightmares of Futures Past