Chapter 42: Goblet Problems (SPOILERS)

Chapter 42: Goblet Problems (SPOILERS)

Unread postby JamestheFox » September 8th, 2015, 10:21 pm

Sooo. Chapter 42 is up. Does it hold the answers to life, the universe, and everything?
Spoiler: show
No. But it does seem to hold a imperiused Malfoy. It's... possible, but who would possibly do such a thing, and why?

Also, GOSH DARNIT WHO PUT HARRY'S NAME IN THE CUP?

Harry: "ONE. YEAR. I JUST WANT ONE YEAR OF PEACE AND QUIET!" (Heavy breathing) "... Alright. Whoever put my name in the Goblet... I will find you. And when I do...! Oh, I will visit upon you such horrors..."
GM of Kingdom Hearts VD: Visions of Destiny. You never know who you'll run into next. Until your Vision shows you.
Shinobi in Star Wars GM. Kyo's Data here.
Pokewizard Quest GM. Harry's Pokedex here.
JamestheFox

Location: A world beyond imagination, but just inside fantasy.

Re: Chapter 42: Goblet Problems (SPOILERS)

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » September 8th, 2015, 10:41 pm

Spoiler: show
I would like to note that the handwriting discussion may be a chekov's gun primed to fire next chapter.
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby Storyteller » September 9th, 2015, 12:18 am

Hmm... Does anyone have any ideas on why Luna was irritated? The only reason I can think of is that she is lying, but that doesn't make much sense to me.
Storyteller

Unread postby Zelenal » September 9th, 2015, 12:35 am

Great chapter, as usual. Moody's class was quite fun.
Hmm... Does anyone have any ideas on why Luna was irritated? The only reason I can think of is that she is lying, but that doesn't make much sense to me.
Luna was likely irritated because the professors had instantly thought that she had cheated/Harry had told her instead of believing that she figured it out on her own. If I was in her shoes, I'd be quite irritated as well.
Zelenal

Unread postby viridian » September 9th, 2015, 3:38 am

Great chapter, as usual. Moody's class was quite fun.
Luna was likely irritated because the professors had instantly thought that she had cheated/Harry had told her instead of believing that she figured it out on her own. If I was in her shoes, I'd be quite irritated as well.
Bingo!
-
Viridian
viridian
Site Admin

Unread postby MrRigger2 » September 9th, 2015, 7:16 am

No. But it does seem to hold a imperiused Malfoy. It's... possible, but who would possibly do such a thing, and why?
I hadn't thought about that as an option, but I suppose it could be, with Malfoy always referred to as quiet and keeping his mouth shut. It is a fairly radical departure from his previous characterization, but I just figured he'd had his loudmouth arrogance beat out of him at Durmstrang.

Speaking of Malfoy, with his being the Durmstrang champion, and Snape dumping in all the names, what's the possibility that Malfoy's name was the only one that went into the Goblet? Maybe he's got some kind of worthiness in the Goblet's eyes that I'm missing, but that's the only way I'm seeing Malfoy get the nomination over Victor Krum or another seventh year.

MrRigger
In engineering, the work is only done when there is nothing left to add. In writing, the work is only done when there is nothing left to take away.

Check out Between Magic and Mount Justice
MrRigger2

Unread postby DC79 » September 9th, 2015, 8:41 am

I think Harry is open to the idea that Draco could finally have some discipline beaten into him at Durmstrang. Even so, if he thinks it's odd that Draco is completely emotionless even when he should be really happy, it's worth noting.

I don't think this is it, but the idea of Draco being willingly imperiused for his own good to finally excel is amusing. Like Snape knew that was the only way to protect him from his own stupidity.

If there was ever a time to tell Dumbledore, it's now; Death Eaters in Hogwarts working to possibly resurrect Voldemort.
Even after all of these years I am still a little uncomfortable using DH information in analysis of this story, but I would like for DD to start with why he trusts Snape after Harry tells him everything only for him to cut into his recounting of "The Prince's Tale" with "HE KILLED YOU!" All of the victim blamers in the Snape fandom (Lily should have forgiven him for calling her a slur while sucking up to the crowd that hates her!) have always troubled me and it is nice to see him as a villain in a story that organically evolves from canon. Maybe once he was on the good side, but now he's been pushed far off of that path.

On that note, how much can one use Deathly Hallows info in this story? I remember what the AuthorLord said about DH after it came out and how it didn't really conflict with too much after he accounted for a single departure that created the original timeline(the extra Horcrux making LV more violent). Example: Was Dumbledore in NoFP friends with Gellert Grindelwald until the incident with his sister? Is Grindelwald is still alive, imprisoned in Nurmengard? Because it would be funny if Harry could throw that back into Dumbledore's face during their private chat. I just want to know what's on the table and what one can use when discussing this story.

Great chapter. I recall back in the day Matt said he was particularly proud of the plan to "get" Harry at the end of Year 2 in terms of cleverness. Without asking for spoilers, does this chapter's events make that look like tricking a dog into eating a pill by wrapping it in cheese?
DC79

Unread postby SiblingCreature » September 9th, 2015, 6:16 pm

Also, GOSH DARNIT WHO PUT HARRY'S NAME IN THE CUP?

Harry: "ONE. YEAR. I JUST WANT ONE YEAR OF PEACE AND QUIET!" (Heavy breathing) "... Alright. Whoever put my name in the Goblet... I will find you. And when I do...! Oh, I will visit upon you such horrors..."
*snickers*
I have a few ideas on that. Snape is my prime suspect at this point. I also suspect MrRigger may be right about Malfoy's name being the only Durmstrang name he added to the cup.
Snape and Malfoy both have reason to hate Harry, so I could just see this being a revenge scheme cooked up between the two of them.

I also got an odd feeling about Fred and George... Though if it was them they may live to regret it. ;-)

I would like to note that the handwriting discussion may be a chekov's gun primed to fire next chapter.
Good call, I reckon you're right.

-SC
Last edited by SiblingCreature on September 9th, 2015, 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SiblingCreature

Unread postby SaltyWaffles » September 9th, 2015, 8:00 pm

I find it rather hilarious how Moody, of all people, didn't see Luna coming.

And he thought he'd seen it all when a group of Fourth Years actually reacted to his ambush in time (and actually fought back really well).

Well, that, and he probably never imagined a student would have the audacity to just walk right up to his disillusioned form and ask him what was going on (seemingly to thin air, to the rest of the class).
SaltyWaffles

Unread postby Zelenal » September 10th, 2015, 2:22 am

To be fair, O don't think anyone can account for Luna.
Zelenal

Unread postby RavynousHunter » September 10th, 2015, 8:16 am

"Accounting for Luna" sounds like a fic where Luna ends up becoming a Muggle accountant.
RavynousHunter

Unread postby Zelenal » September 10th, 2015, 8:21 am

"Accounting for Luna" sounds like a fic where Luna ends up becoming a Muggle accountant.
I'd read it.
Zelenal

Unread postby MrRigger2 » September 10th, 2015, 9:29 am

I'd read it.
She got into the field because Snorkacks are attracted to the scent of blond Certified Public Accountants. She stayed because of the bizarre and arcane rules. She is Luna Lovegood, and she'll do your taxes.

MrRigger
In engineering, the work is only done when there is nothing left to add. In writing, the work is only done when there is nothing left to take away.

MrRigger2

Unread postby Storyteller » September 10th, 2015, 12:46 pm

Oh how everything is shifting, and I am wondering if the situation will start tipping here. Madame Maxine must be somewhat nervous if she heard about Professor Lupin. Is International Cooperation a Ministry Branch/ organization, or a European one? She herself is half-giant, and she keeps that very quietly to herself for a reason. And her school's champion is part-veela. If it is a European organization,even if he is a werewolf removing Professor Lupin after a year with no incidents would be worrying for the Beaubaxtons. Did Fluer's younger sister Gabrielle still come? With her elder sister wanting to compete, I cannot see any reason for Gabrielle to not come.

Harry Potter the Gryffindor, Hogwarts Champion. Yeah, a lot of Slytherins will be supporting Durmstrang just to spite Harry, and to support the Malfoys. Harry's reaction of surprise, (and him swearing) if noticed will point out that he did not expect, nor want this. He has also been more visible in not being a show off, so his work with those outside his house might make for Ravenclaws, and Hufflepuffs to support Gryffindor, maybe not. Any thoughts here?

Not sure where the Beauxbatons will stand, but Millicent is capable of giving support to Harry, and she is a former Slytherin. As it is, they are sitting with Gryffindor, perhaps to be as far away as possible from the Slytherins. There are advantages for the Head Girl to have insider information, even if out dated. I am fairly sure that Millicent did not give all the details to Fluer on why she left Hogwarts, there is standing up to people, but what was happening was very... Yeah, it was not simple bullying.

How much of a back-lash does everyone thing the Delacours will get for supporting Millicent? Because some of the more, fanatic, Slytherins have shown not to care one whit about consequences. Add in Fluer is the Beauxbaton champion... How well known is the veela heritage? I can think of several vicious activities that information could fuel, especially if Gabrielle, who isn't as capable of defending herself is also at Hogwarts.
Storyteller

Unread postby MrRigger2 » September 10th, 2015, 6:47 pm

Madame Maxine must be somewhat nervous if she heard about Professor Lupin. Is International Cooperation a Ministry Branch/ organization, or a European one? She herself is half-giant, and she keeps that very quietly to herself for a reason. And her school's champion is part-veela. If it is a European organization,even if he is a werewolf removing Professor Lupin after a year with no incidents would be worrying for the Beaubaxtons.
The Department of International Magical Cooperation is under the British Ministry of Magic, formerly headed by Barty Crouch Sr. France mostly likely has an equivalent branch in their Ministry, but the one referred to here is the British one.
Harry Potter the Gryffindor, Hogwarts Champion. Yeah, a lot of Slytherins will be supporting Durmstrang just to spite Harry, and to support the Malfoys. Harry's reaction of surprise, (and him swearing) if noticed will point out that he did not expect, nor want this. He has also been more visible in not being a show off, so his work with those outside his house might make for Ravenclaws, and Hufflepuffs to support Gryffindor, maybe not. Any thoughts here?
Slytherin will likely support Malfoy, with a few outliers dissenting, because with the way Malfoy threw his weight around, he probably made a few enemies in Slytherin while he was at Hogwarts. Gryffindor is bound to be behind Harry, probably even more solidly than in canon. Here, there is no Age Line, so Harry didn't "cheat" to get in, and he's not getting special treatment as the Fourth Champion. I can certainly see some resentment on the part of the Seventh Years who were passed over, but they'll likely get over it.

As for Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw, they're probably going to be behind Harry as well. Cedric isn't in, so the school loyalty aspect isn't split like it was in canon. They'll likely support Harry by default, if nothing else, and he's been more visible in leading the Deuling Association, so people know him from there instead of just as The Harry Potter. Again, you'll have some dissenters, but certainly not as many as in canon.
Not sure where the Beauxbatons will stand, but Millicent is capable of giving support to Harry, and she is a former Slytherin. As it is, they are sitting with Gryffindor, perhaps to be as far away as possible from the Slytherins. There are advantages for the Head Girl to have insider information, even if out dated. I am fairly sure that Millicent did not give all the details to Fluer on why she left Hogwarts, there is standing up to people, but what was happening was very... Yeah, it was not simple bullying.
Beauxbatons is going to stand with Beauxbatons. I can't really see Harry doing anything to draw their support away from Fleur, unless she gets seriously injured and is no longer able to compete. On a personal level, Millicent may support Harry, but while he got her out of the situation she was in, Fleur helped improve the new situation Millicent found herself in, and that can't be understated. Publically, Millicent will support Fleur, both as school spirit and supporting her new friend, but also because she doesn't want to be seen publically close and supporting Harry. Privately, Millicent is going to root against Malfoy, and would count either a Fleur or Harry win as a success as long as Malfoy gets ground into the dirt.
How much of a back-lash does everyone thing the Delacours will get for supporting Millicent? Because some of the more, fanatic, Slytherins have shown not to care one whit about consequences. Add in Fluer is the Beauxbaton champion... How well known is the veela heritage? I can think of several vicious activities that information could fuel, especially if Gabrielle, who isn't as capable of defending herself is also at Hogwarts.
I don't think Fleur is going to see any additional backlash from the Slytherins over supporting Millicent. After all, she's already French and a half-veela. She clearly wasn't worth much to begin with, it's no surprise she associates with a traitor like Millicent. As for her veela heritage being known, I'd say she doesn't go around shouting it to the skies, but she didn't seem to have any problem with admitting that her wand had a hair from her grandmother as its core in canon, so it's hardly something she hides. Not to mention her veela allure would make it difficult to hide even if she were inclined to keep it secret.

As for Gabrielle, I was always under the impression that she wasn't old enough to be attending Beauxbatons at the time of the tournament, and only came to watch/participate in the tasks, and spent the rest of the year at home. Reading on the wiki, there seem to be some inconsistencies across the media. In the books, Gabrielle was seen as Fleur's target in the Second Task, waved at Harry on the day of the Third Task, and kissed Ron's cheek on the last day of school. The movies put Gabrielle in a Beauxbatons' uniform, implying that she was a student at age 8, and the video games have her performing magic at a Fourth Year level at age 8. Personally, I'm not sure how to rectify all this. Beauxbatons could certainly start students earlier, but if that's the case, why in the world would she have been brought along in canon, rather than staying in France, where the rest of her year is? Here, it's more understandable, because there's no age restriction, but again, why would you bring an eight year old as a potential contestant?

Personally, I would have Gabrielle out of Slytherin reach for most of the year, just because I can't see a good reason to have her spend the entire year at Hogwarts, no matter her schooling situation. Have her come for the Tasks, but other than that, there's no reason for her to be at Hogwarts.

MrRigger

MrRigger2

Unread postby Storyteller » September 10th, 2015, 7:56 pm

Beauxbatons is going to stand with Beauxbatons. I can't really see Harry doing anything to draw their support away from Fleur, unless she gets seriously injured and is no longer able to compete. On a personal level, Millicent may support Harry, but while he got her out of the situation she was in, Fleur helped improve the new situation Millicent found herself in, and that can't be understated. Publically, Millicent will support Fleur, both as school spirit and supporting her new friend, but also because she doesn't want to be seen publically close and supporting Harry. Privately, Millicent is going to root against Malfoy, and would count either a Fleur or Harry win as a success as long as Malfoy gets ground into the dirt.

Thank you for your response, I missed the age line, and I thought that Harry would be facing the view of "how did he cheat to get in" from everyone again. That is what I meant with support, in a "Harry did not cheat" fashion. Without that, it is as you say. Thanks for correcting me :beaten:

. The reason I am worried about Millicent is that what was happening last year... The Slytherins behind are a) vicious, b) ruthless and c) have to prove that they are not to be ignored. It must have been a major loss of face that Millicent got away. Attacking the Delacours would be a continuation upon the focus of proving that "traitors don't getaway", hampers the Beauxbatons, (French), aids the Malfoys, and if the Veela heritage gets out an attack upon a non-pure blood witch. I don't think that it would take more encouragement to start making waves. I don't think that the Slytherins would need that much.
Storyteller

Unread postby SiblingCreature » September 10th, 2015, 9:10 pm

Millicent's situation has changed though. When she was in Hogwarts as a student her family was in danger, from the other pureblood families which made it impossible for her to change her situation at school. Now though , her family is out of the country and out of danger, and she has friends who are actual friends and will support her, and she has a lot more self-confidence.

Anyone wanting to make trouble for her is also picking a fight with Fleur and her lot (and Harry and his lot for that matter, though that may not be so obvious to them) as well, which will probably act as a deterrent for most of the regular school-ground shenanigans.

That said, we still have no idea who killed Melissa, and that person may still be resident in the castle.

-SC
SiblingCreature

Unread postby MrRigger2 » September 10th, 2015, 9:15 pm

. The reason I am worried about Millicent is that what was happening last year... The Slytherins behind are a) vicious, b) ruthless and c) have to prove that they are not to be ignored. It must have been a major loss of face that Millicent got away. Attacking the Delacours would be a continuation upon the focus of proving that "traitors don't getaway", hampers the Beauxbatons, (French), aids the Malfoys, and if the Veela heritage gets out an attack upon a non-pure blood witch. I don't think that it would take more encouragement to start making waves. I don't think that the Slytherins would need that much.
Well, from a storytelling standpoint, Viridian wouldn't have brought Millicent back unless something was going to happen with her. From an in-universe standpoint, the Slytherin's aren't likely to immediately target Fleur. Remember, as of right now, the Slytherin's aren't really aware that Millicent is back, because she doesn't look the same, if nothing else. Once they do realize she's back, the first incident is probably going to target Millicent alone. No reason to target the other students, other than they're French and the Slytherins are English, which some would argue is reason enough.

I predict that it won't be until after the first incident happens that the story behind Fleur and Millicent's friendship will come out. Once it does, you might have some of the really hardcore go after Fleur, but even so, I'm not sure she's going to be as big a target as you might suspect.

Remember, Snape is no longer the Head of Slytherin, Slughorn is, and he's a lot less permissive than Snape was as Head. I see Slughorn putting a stop to any attempts to go after Fleur directly because she's the representative of Beauxbatons and to go after her (and get caught) would be an embarrassment to Hogwarts. This won't stop everything, but that warning will probably be enough for the Slytherins to concentrate any sabotage efforts towards Millicent alone or (more likely, in my mind) towards Harry, as Hogwarts champion.

MrRigger

MrRigger2

Unread postby jgkitarel » September 10th, 2015, 10:49 pm

While Slytherin is likely learning the art of subtlety, there are several parties who don't want the attention that targeting Millicent would bring, especially since it is far more likely that the parties involved would get caught. That would bring attention that a lot of people don't need and can break open the conspiracy that the AIP is indicative of.
Also, I have to punch you, jgkitarel, because I spent a lot of time on the nanoha wiki trying to locate information on mages being trained due to being above a certain rank, only to remember and confirm that you were the one that came up with that. - Phht
Don't forget: Mass Effect is powered by magic space rocks. Evangelion is powered by Your Mom.
From his new fic Long Night of the Harvest

My current project on FFN, Mystic Knight Online
jgkitarel

Unread postby Grrarrggh » September 15th, 2015, 7:43 pm

Why does Harry think that if he doesn't remember some small detail there's something going on? He never was the most observant chap. I mean, he didn't even know the names of every boy in his year when he was in his FIFTH year at Hogwarts!
Grrarrggh

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » September 16th, 2015, 10:46 am

Why does Harry think that if he doesn't remember some small detail there's something going on? He never was the most observant chap. I mean, he didn't even know the names of every boy in his year when he was in his FIFTH year at Hogwarts!
Most likely survivor's guilt coupled with massive paranoia.
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby Zelenal » September 16th, 2015, 11:03 am

That and perhaps a minor God complex. This Harry seems to completely hate not knowing what's going on which is why he continually laments that his need to change things means his foreknowledge becomes more useless.
Zelenal

Unread postby viridian » September 16th, 2015, 10:34 pm

That and perhaps a minor God complex. This Harry seems to completely hate not knowing what's going on which is why he continually laments that his need to change things means his foreknowledge becomes more useless.
Well, he could argue that not knowing things in time was a major cause of everything going to hell in the original timeline.

On a related note: I've had several reviewers castigate me because Harry didn't do anything to prevent his name coming out of the hat. What could he have done without tipping his hand?
-
Viridian
viridian
Site Admin

Unread postby SiblingCreature » September 17th, 2015, 5:29 am

On a related note: I've had several reviewers castigate me because Harry didn't do anything to prevent his name coming out of the hat. What could he have done without tipping his hand?
Well he could have taken Barty Crouch Jr out of the equation I suppose - Oh, Wait...
:-)

-SC
SiblingCreature

Unread postby LadyCersei » September 17th, 2015, 12:25 pm

I do not think Malfoy has been imperiused.
Clearly his caracterisation has changed very much. But that does not mean he has been imperiused or somebody else has polijuiced himself to look like Malfoy (The latter would easily be detected by Harry via the Marauders Map, so if anything he has been imperiused).

In my opinion the change of character has to do with his expulsion from Hogwarts. His daddy will probably have made his life a living hell for some time (That neither surprising nor questionable). He is now a disgrace to the family, has damaged their reputation and must be ashamed as hell. His hatred towards the Griffindor Five will have multiplied. If I were him, I would put all my efforts into some kind of revenge plan. He knows that Harry is a brilliant wizard and is training his friends (thats not exactly what I would be calling a secret) so it is only logical, that he is doing everything he can to be even better. He probably will have had some hardcore training since he has been expulsed from Hogwarts. That isolates him and that would make anybody an introvert and change someones personality big time. Snape has a similar motivation and must be planning his revenge. It is only natural that Malfoy and Snape collaborate and make a plan together. Triwizard Tournament is a great opportunity for them.
Probably Snape really put only Malfoys name into the goblet as suggested above. Perhaps he even put in Harrys name to make sure, that he is at least part of the assortment of the contestants. He is a great wizard, too and had access. He might even have manipulated the Goblet to choose Harry.
But I think the Agent in place must also have something to do with this outcome. Either as a plotter who has been tipping of Snape/Malfoy, or as a partner who has been doing some of the dirty work, too.

Ähm... Thats it for now, dinner's ready.
Hope I expressed myself in a way you understand, sorry, I am not a native speaker.

Cersei
LadyCersei

Return to “%s” Harry Potter and the Nightmares of Futures Past