...is now in progress. That is all.

(How was my Radar O'Reilly impression?)
-
Viridian
viridian
Site Admin

Re: Chapter 37...

Unread postby DidelotM1 » April 25th, 2008, 1:02 pm

Well you must have progressed the HELL out of it since the update bar thingy reads to me as having it 7140% complete. Now THAT'S a completed chapter, I tell you what. :lol: ;) :P
DidelotM1

Unread postby viridian » April 25th, 2008, 1:11 pm

Well, that's what happens when I forget and put a comma in "10,000" on the form. It's fixed now.
-
Viridian
viridian
Site Admin

Unread postby Bug-Eyed Earl » April 25th, 2008, 1:59 pm

Question....

Is Remus' Occlumency progress addressed at all?
Bug-Eyed Earl

Unread postby Alex Mcpherson » April 25th, 2008, 2:21 pm

... Is Remus learning Occlumency?

I've read in other fics that being a werewolf goes both ways (that is to say, some fics take it one way, others take it anohter)
in that being a werewolf gives you mental defences by default or prevents you from ever being capable of building any (this latter one has 2 options - any that last during full moons, or incapable at any time.)

What direction will you take this? Would be be susceptible during Full Moons/any other time even after learning Occlumency because of his monthly visitor?
Alex Mcpherson

Unread postby Ironwolf » April 25th, 2008, 2:30 pm

Of course there is a problem with that, Ol' Tom wants to be able to read the minds of his servents, Snape can do it only because DD trusts him enough to keep the Potions Master close enough to be a spy, at which point you sorta need Occlumency. Fenrir is not someone I want around while wondering what he's thinking, and furthermore, it just seems like a bit of a copp-out after all the work that everybody else went through to get into the inner circle of trust with Harry. I mean Sirus side-stepped that already, and once with a trick like that is all that is usually needed, or in fact done, in a story, and remember that Remus has spent months around the group, and in that time Harry made no probes of his mind (that we have been told) or any efforts to tell him what's really going on.
Ironwolf

Unread postby viridian » April 25th, 2008, 3:36 pm

From chapter 31:
“We’ve all learned Occlumency to block Snape out…” Harry said. “I can loan you a book if you are interested in the process.”

Remus nodded gravely.
So he's learning it. But he only started at the beginning of the term, and he's a new teacher working with kids who've had awful previous instructors - and some of his students have NEWTs and OWLs coming up. Oh yeah, and he's flattened once a month for 2-3 days.

And he's still helping Harry on the side. Not much free time.
-
Viridian
viridian
Site Admin

Unread postby Alex Mcpherson » April 26th, 2008, 12:18 pm

An hour or so before bed... so what, a year for an adult to do it like that? (Didn't molly say that that is what She and Arthur did when learning it?)
Alex Mcpherson

Unread postby viridian » April 26th, 2008, 12:25 pm

Roughly, but there are a lot of variables, like the ones I mentioned above.
-
Viridian
viridian
Site Admin

Unread postby Alex Mcpherson » April 26th, 2008, 12:45 pm

So It'll be around end of the next summer rather than the start of the next summer :D

BTW, just out of curiosity - when does Hogwarts close for summer holidays in your fic? (Because normal high school here is 6 weeks before it opens for the next year
for instance, Next year's high school will start on the 2nd (Tuesday) and 3rd (Wednesday - well that's what my high school did, I can't recall which years started what days.
Anyway
that would put the end of this year's classes on Friday 18th July - it does work out at 6 weeks holiday, every time. the only thing that varies is the number. +4 for start? then +4 for end , and so on.
Earliest date they start any year is indeed, 2nd - when it's a tuesday. if that tuesday is the 1st, then they start the next week.

Hogwarts, due to the train, well this year for example, they travel on the 1st and their first lessons are on the 2nd. (I honestly think JK should have just stuck to '1st Monday of September' like my school sticks to 'no earlier than the 2nd, on tuesday'... )

That would put the current' years at again, Friday 18th last day of school - with travel done on the saturday.

Mentioning this makes me have a few ideas about that all now.
Alex Mcpherson

Unread postby viridian » April 26th, 2008, 5:28 pm

-
Viridian
viridian
Site Admin

Unread postby Kitsune no Arashi » April 26th, 2008, 6:37 pm

why I have a feeling we're going to get a taste of hell in the next chapter :?:
probably stems from the out burst of mr. grangers

“Why the hell would you keep something like this in a school full of children?” His wife gave him a sharp look when he said “bloody”, but didn’t look much happier.
“Daddy, no one knew it was there!” Hermione finally said.
“How could they not know?” He asked, exasperated. “The letter we got said it was over fifty feet long!”
“It was in a hidden chamber, buried under the castle,” Harry ventured

makes you wonder what else could be down there. That an matt loves adding creatures, just look at blackwand.
Kitsune no Arashi

Unread postby mr sinister » May 15th, 2008, 3:30 am

I was wondering what's happening with the next chappy, I noticed you've already completed a chapter of Team 8 and started a new one, does this mean you're muse is back?
mr sinister

Unread postby bibliophile20 » May 15th, 2008, 12:13 pm

I was wondering what's happening with the next chappy, I noticed you've already completed a chapter of Team 8 and started a new one, does this mean you're muse is back?
Mind you that right now the story arc that Team 8 is in is at a climax, which makes it much easier for Matt to write, while NoFP is still in the midst of rising action, building towards its own climactic action by means of plotty action, which isn't as easy to write. Especially given the considerable amount of background and info from NoFP alone that Matt has to keep in mind while writing, not even bringing canon into consideration.
bibliophile20

Unread postby viridian » May 15th, 2008, 4:51 pm

For various reasons, NoFP is much harder to write most of the time.

Team 8 is also kind of on a roll. I'm in the middle of a huge action sequence.
-
Viridian
viridian
Site Admin

Unread postby taillwh » May 15th, 2008, 11:15 pm

I'm just curious, but how is your interest level in NoFP, or HP fanfiction in general? I know you're dedicated to finishing the thing, that's not what I mean by the line of questioning, but it *has* been 335k words and 36 chapters. I personally know I lack the dedication to stick to any one thing with any level of intense drive for that long unless it's something extraordinary.
taillwh

Unread postby Greybane » May 15th, 2008, 11:18 pm

I'm just curious, but how is your interest level in NoFP, or HP fanfiction in general? I know you're dedicated to finishing the thing, that's not what I mean by the line of questioning, but it *has* been 335k words and 36 chapters. I personally know I lack the dedication to stick to any one thing with any level of intense drive for that long unless it's something extraordinary.
IMHO, NoFP is quite extraordinary. I would be most displeased if Mighty Authorlord/ Evil Overlord :bow gave it up
Odd that. It actually worked.
Greybane

Unread postby SilentWasteland » May 15th, 2008, 11:26 pm

Also, while I enjoy both Team 8 and NoFP, Nightmares is a much better story. I prefer a complex plot, and the characters are much more interesting with all their conflicts, and how they handle them. I've reread the entirety of NoFP about 5 or 6 times, where as I've only read Team 8 a couple times.
SilentWasteland

Unread postby Zerrat » May 15th, 2008, 11:45 pm

Guys, let's not start the pointless comparisions. It's like comparing apples and oranges, after all. :roll:
Zerrat

Unread postby SilentWasteland » May 15th, 2008, 11:49 pm

No need to roll your eyes. It is inevitable that the two fics will be compared, seeing as their written by the same author.
SilentWasteland

Unread postby Wittgen » May 16th, 2008, 12:39 am

I think the point was that comparing them here was absolutely pointless. They're both great, and saying things like "NoFP has a much better story" or whatever will just start needless flaming and bickering. Hence, eye rolling. :roll:
Wittgen

Unread postby Zerrat » May 16th, 2008, 1:14 am

I think the point was that comparing them here was absolutely pointless. They're both great, and saying things like "NoFP has a much better story" or whatever will just start needless flaming and bickering. Hence, eye rolling. :roll:
That was the point exactly, Wittigen. Thanks for clearing that up for me. :)
Zerrat

Unread postby SilentWasteland » May 16th, 2008, 1:17 am

I wasn't objecting to the point he made. I was objecting to the condescending tone I got from the eye rolling.
SilentWasteland

Unread postby Zerrat » May 16th, 2008, 1:22 am

Tone is easily lost over the 'net, as I'm sure you've had ground into your skull. The eye-rolling is merely that I've seen such simple statements degenerate very, very quickly into flame wars and I wasn't exactly looking forwards to it again. Sorry if you took it differently than I intended, SilentWasteland.

And, er... if the 'he' was directed at me, I'm female. ;)
Zerrat

Unread postby SilentWasteland » May 16th, 2008, 1:44 am

Yeah, tone really is easily lost over the internet.

And as for being female, I'll just make two points 1) In English, the proper way to refer to someone of unknown gender is the masculine pronoun. 2) It's the internet, a lot of females are really male. So prove it. :P

And, lets see, back to discussion of Chapter 37.

Harry's will most likely be back at Hogwarts, along with the rest of the Gryffindor Six. Snape and Malfoy are gone, so there goes the tension from them. I'm really not sure what direction the rest of this year is going to take.

I'm curious as to what Sirius' plans are now that he has collected almost all of the Horcrux. There are only two that Harry does not have in his possession. Maybe Sirius can go the 12 Grimmauld Place and see if his family has some research on how Horcruxes are created. Right now I'm not seeing if there is even a way to remove the Horcrux from the Sorting Hat.
SilentWasteland

Return to “%s” Harry Potter and the Nightmares of Futures Past