How would you like to be a teacher?

Re: How would you like to be a teacher?

Unread postby Gouka Ryuu » November 15th, 2009, 8:19 pm

An interesting topic, which besides a thinking exercise could be some good inspiration for fanfic. I think everyone has already covered any possibilities well. I especially liked Telosphilos's curriculum. Considering my interests, and my major and minor in college, I would probably try to get Dumbledore to replace Binns with me as the History of Magic Professor instead of doing DADA. Anyone could teach that class better than him and I'm pretty sure I'd actually be able to do it justice.
Gouka Ryuu

Unread postby gman391 » December 7th, 2009, 2:49 am

Just out of curiosity what exactly is the curse on the DADA position anyway?
"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby Random_fan » December 7th, 2009, 4:19 am

The curse is that no teacher has been in the position for more than a year it's been in place since Voldie was turned down for it.
Random_fan

Unread postby gman391 » December 7th, 2009, 4:32 am

You know a first year law student could figure away around that stipulation. God what the heck is wrong with Wizards?
"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby Random_fan » December 7th, 2009, 6:17 am

Well chances are Dumbledore had tried everything to get rid of the curse. Considering this is the guy who everyone in wizarding britian regards as the strongest wizard I doubt the curse is easy to break.
Random_fan

Unread postby gman391 » December 7th, 2009, 7:49 am

So make him a consultant. Or have multiple teachers that only teach for single terms focusing on their specialty. Or just scrap the class all together and create a new position while leaving the DADA post unfilled. And this is just off the top of my head!
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby Random_fan » December 7th, 2009, 8:12 am

Ah but that would be logical, and most of the greatest wizards of all time don't have an ounce of logic. This is commonly shown throughout the stories.
Random_fan

Unread postby gman391 » December 7th, 2009, 9:20 am

But logic is our friend. And I can understand the Purebloods but you'd think one of the muggleborn/raised would come up with it. This is something I could have found a loophole through when I was in elementary school.
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby Greybane » December 7th, 2009, 3:53 pm

Odd that. It actually worked.
Greybane

Unread postby gman391 » December 7th, 2009, 8:29 pm

I love that fic! Mind you I love most of Sarah's Work.
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby viridian » December 8th, 2009, 5:23 am

Hmmm... if I ever do a sequel to "There's Always a Way", I can have Riley get hired as a Post-War DADA teacher by Minerva...

His first act will be to change the course name to "Advanced Conflict Resolution and Agressive Negotiating Tactics"

I can see him using the assassination of Fudge as a case study for the seventh year class, and setting up a school-wide game of Assassin running all year long. The Slytherins would either love him or hate him, depending on how much they find out about his past. The Gryffs would be horrified at first, but some might catch on that he's a really good friend of their most famous recent alumnus. The Ravenclaws might be able to appreciate his teaching (MIT&T is a pretty serious school after all), but be dismayed that every single damn Assassin tournament is won by Luna Lovegood (who was badly injured and didn't return for her seventh year until now).

Hufflepuff is driven to the brink of insanity, and only leaves their common room in large, heavily-armed groups. He really should have offered to grade them on a curve.
-
Viridian
viridian
Site Admin

Unread postby gman391 » December 8th, 2009, 7:24 am

Please Authorlord write it when you get a chance. I beg you because that sound awesome
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby jgkitarel » December 9th, 2009, 5:13 am

I Would dispute the usefulness of Clausewitz's On War in terms of relevance. The first chapter is fine, but he died before he finished his revisions. His wife had the entire thing published after his death, and it has shaped military thought for years. Personally, I would have them read Thucydides' History of the Pellopinesian War instead.

Later years would be required to read Machiavelli, both The Prince and The Art of War (not to be confused with Sun Tzu, but both stressed avoiding conflict over seeking it.)
Also, I have to punch you, jgkitarel, because I spent a lot of time on the nanoha wiki trying to locate information on mages being trained due to being above a certain rank, only to remember and confirm that you were the one that came up with that. - Phht
Don't forget: Mass Effect is powered by magic space rocks. Evangelion is powered by Your Mom.
From his new fic Long Night of the Harvest

My current project on FFN, Mystic Knight Online
jgkitarel

Unread postby gman391 » June 19th, 2010, 4:43 am

Because I'm bored and the act of Necromancy is something I need to do every few months I command this thread to live.

That said Clausewitz's On War wasn't finished. But since we'd be going overall the books in depth I would explain that.

More importantly whenever I need to assign an essay to fill a quota (I assume all teachers have them) I would assign one of the books/chapters.

First year is about getting them to think and showing that yes the muggles could kick the wizarding world's ass or come very close.

After all the muggles have been reading and expanding on these concepts for hundreds of years.

The Prince might be introduced in sixth year.
----Jack Layton
gman391

Return to “%s” Harry Potter and the Nightmares of Futures Past