Ideas for Summon for Naruto

Re: Ideas for Summon for Naruto

Unread postby Stormseed » April 29th, 2009, 11:43 pm

But yeah, the four inch flying roaches were a drawback. :shock: :puke:
Aren't they the state bird?
That's the mosquito, having spent time at Ft. Polk's JRTC, you see some real monsters there, though the roaches do a good job.
Texas, too. They come out in clouds in summer after a good rain.
Stormseed

Unread postby jgkitarel » April 30th, 2009, 12:27 am

First, summons are not useful only to level-up in terms of power quickly. They are very useful for sending messages, scouting, fast emergency escape and fighting with oversized enemies. Not to mention alternative forms of summon (Sarutobi's staff, probably Orohimaru's sword) and partial summons (Jirayia summonning only toad stomach as "bunker" protection, or summoning only sticky toad tongue).

I think that it is conceivable that Naruto can get at current only pre-existing summons: Toads for Jirayia, Monkeys from Third Hokage; perhaps dogs from Kakashi (if they are not personal summon), Slugs from Tsunade (when they find her), IIRC snakes summon from Anko, probably turtles from Gai. New, original summon for Naruto I think (well, with exception of some plot hole) could go no earlier than finding summons for three Sannin (which I think got original and not pre-existing summons).

A few ideas for original summon animals:
  • ants (too similar to Aburames)
  • mantis (better, but still as above)
  • coyote (trickster, but Western / North America animal)
  • hyena (laugh, just because, non-Estern animal - Africa)
  • carrion birds (crow, raven, vulture, etc. - messages, spying)
  • crane (just because)
  • moongoose (against Orohimari's snakes)
  • squirrel (I loved the story...)
  • rat (or mouse in japanese zodiac), rooster, ox - from chinese zodiac
I like your list. I want to agree that any insect or arthropod is probably too close to the Aburame family jutsu. I'd expect any of those contracts to be wandering around the Aburame clan or similar clans in other lands.

Monkeys or tortoises both work because they are contact scrolls that Naruto could conceivably gain access to because he knows the contract holders and is on good terms with them. Note, I said tortoise, not turtle. Gai summons tortoises. The difference is tortoises are land reptiles. The hell if I know if it makes much of a difference. The practical thing about it is turtles generally dislike being away from water, tortoises don't really care since they are land creatures, not aquatic or semi amphibious creatures like most turtles are.

I love the coyote and hyena ideas, but they just don't seem a good fit because they are non native species compared to everything else we have seen so far. Both are great pack and lone hunters that are excellent survivors who aren't too proud to scavenge. They'd be awesome ninja creatures.

I love the crane idea because it is so opposite Naruto. Cranes are patient fishers who can be very still for long periods if it suits them. The crane styles of martial arts are generally rather graceful with more circular patterns to avoid being hit instead of blocking the blow. They are also an archetype of elegance. From the point of view of strengthening a weakness, the crane is perfect. As far as matching personalities, I can't see how they could be more opposite.

Rats and mice were what I was going to suggest. Both because rats are very intelligent and because they are a zodiac animal with their own mythology that can be worked in. I don't know a whole heck of a lot that'd be useful, but I do see a fair bit of potential with some research.

Squirrels I like just for the humor factor and because what is more ubiquitous than a squirrel in most places. They don't have the icky factor of tracing their paths using urine trails or the unsanitary factor that makes people freak out about mice and rats either. I can see squirrels as being extremely useful.

A point about pigs since some one mentioned them in connection with the Hyuuga. It actually would make sense to use them as a clan summon because pigs have a very important place in Asian culture. Pigs have an exceptional sense of smell and are very inteligent. The pig is a sign of largess and having several is a very good sign of wealth. Pork is extremely important as a meat on the Asian markets. The Hyuuga may focus on their tracking abilities and raw power as a compliment to their own. Use the porcine troops to drive their opponents into their formidable Gentle Fist taijutsu and to counter a natural weak point by having them point out underground opponents to them. It seems pretty reliable that the Hyuuga don't see well beneath the ground. Pigs can smell underground sources pretty well.

:ugeek:
If you've ever had the misfortune of running into a wild boar, there's the other side of the equation.

Nothing like getting chased into a tree by a pig that can, and will, kill you. :devil
Also, I have to punch you, jgkitarel, because I spent a lot of time on the nanoha wiki trying to locate information on mages being trained due to being above a certain rank, only to remember and confirm that you were the one that came up with that. - Phht
Don't forget: Mass Effect is powered by magic space rocks. Evangelion is powered by Your Mom.
From his new fic Long Night of the Harvest

My current project on FFN, Mystic Knight Online
jgkitarel

Unread postby unknown3150 » May 5th, 2009, 11:03 pm

First post; just joined; and all to say this:

Squirrels.

Anyone played Magic the Gathering? Nothing is more frightening than being attacked by twenty to thirty squirrels when each could kill you individually.

"Gnawed to death, bad way to go,"
unknown3150

Unread postby ewuvi » May 5th, 2009, 11:06 pm

Greetings, surr, I doth tip my hat to thou.

Butchered middle-English aside, welcome to the fray (not like that crappy band)
ewuvi

Unread postby serbii » May 5th, 2009, 11:11 pm

If you've ever had the misfortune of running into a wild boar, there's the other side of the equation.

Nothing like getting chased into a tree by a pig that can, and will, kill you. :devil
Nothing is more frightening than being attacked by twenty to thirty squirrels when each could kill you individually.
Speaking of things in trees that can kill you: Koala summon.
"Awww? isn't it cute? wha? GYAH! IT RIPPED MY NOSE OFF!"
They're like grumpy, vicious old men who live off leaves filled with alcohol.
Wombats are too, minus the booze. They'll try to crush you
Strangely, it tends to be the second class of animals (the Odd) that are more dangerous. The creature that kills the most people each year is the common Wombat. It is nearly as ridiculous as its name, and spends its life digging holes in the ground, in which it hides. During the night it comes out to eat worms and grubs.
The wombat kills people in two ways: First, the animal is indestructible. Digging holes in the hard Australian clay builds muscles that outclass Olympic weight lifters. At night, they often wander the roads. Semi-trailers (Road Trains) have hit them at high speed, with all 9 wheels on one side, and this merely makes them very annoyed. They express this by snorting, glaring, and walking away. Alas, to smaller cars, the wombat becomes a symmetrical launching pad, with results that can be imagined, but not adequately described.
The second way the wombat kills people relates to its burrowing behaviour. If a person happens to put their hand down a Wombat hole, the Wombat will feel the disturbance and think "Ho! My hole is collapsing!" at which it will brace its muscled legs and push up against the roof of its burrow with incredible force, to prevent its collapse. Any unfortunate hand will be crushed, and attempts to withdraw will cause the Wombat to simply bear down harder. The unfortunate will then bleed to death through their crushed hand as the wombat prevents him from seeking assistance. This is considered the third most embarrassing known way to die, and Australians don't talk about it much.
Fray is a good word :)
Welcome
serbii

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » May 5th, 2009, 11:15 pm

Why not throw in a few 'roos and maybe a Tasmanian Devil for good measure?
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby Darkandus » May 5th, 2009, 11:45 pm

Wombats are now officially Awesome!

On a completly unrelated note how about the cracktastic ability to summon Weapons from Final Fantasy Vii.

Do you need something to travel at high speed across the Ocean and take horrendous amounts of damage?! Do you need an inbuilt high pressure Water cannon that can cut through very thick metal?
Rely on Sapphire Weapon.

Enemy nin getting you down when you're in the desert? Plant a trap and laugh manically as an obscenly powerful thousand foot tall beast with personal space issues fucks their shit up.
Test drive Ruby Weapon.

Want to deal with a giant city while causing enough terror to make everyone collectively soil themselves? How about four high powered shoulder cannons to deal with things a thousand explosive tags just won't shift?
How about Diamond Weapon?

Underwater enemies stopping you from exploring the depts of the Ocean? Do you think four genuine sholdermounted Laser cannons are guaranteed to ruin their day? How about the ability to instakill your enemies by turning the surrounding water into steam and cooking them alive?
Try out Emerald Weapon.

Feel like exploring the skys on your very own flying death Machine? One that can breath fire and make Quick getaways if you're taking too much punishment?
You need Ultima Weapon.

Having existential problems? Want to just cram all life into one being and head out into the Universe? Do you feel like you want an army of creatures to keep you and the other souls of humanity safe on your trip?
Give your trust to Omega Weapon.

Please note, refunds will not be given in the event of Giant Cannons of Death, Spiky haired Zack Cosplayers with rediculously large swords or Emo Vampires that should stop angsting because they don't need to angst to be cool.
Spoiler: show
Darkandus

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » May 5th, 2009, 11:50 pm

Darkandus, you ROCK! :cheers:
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby bibliophile20 » May 6th, 2009, 12:47 am

On the topic of cute, cuddly, tree-dwelling creatures, I have only one thing to say:

Drop Bears.

(perks ears up to pick up traces of serbii and co.'s laughter)

Of course, I would suggest using the Shadowrun version... :devil
bibliophile20

Unread postby NaruHinaPyroWolf » May 7th, 2009, 7:53 pm

YOU GUYS ARE SO FREAKIN' HILARIOUS!! :rollin: :rollin: :animlol: I would ask to join your clique but I have the social skills of a rock and would probably bring down the level of enjoyment you guys get from this. :violin: I do have one question though. Where did the idea of yakuza frogs, and mobster crows come from?
NaruHinaPyroWolf

Unread postby MorphCross » May 7th, 2009, 8:05 pm

Well, Gamabunta is a giant yakuza toad. It's all about what word he uses when he talks to Naruto and Jiraiya, however i've yet to hear Naruto call him aniki like any good Yakuza underling.

The mob comment about crows comes from ewuvi, forgetting that a group of crows is called a murder, not a mob.

And now i'm thinking about a clowder of cats.
MorphCross

Unread postby NaruHinaPyroWolf » May 7th, 2009, 8:07 pm

Thank you
NaruHinaPyroWolf

Unread postby serbii » May 7th, 2009, 11:25 pm

On the topic of cute, cuddly, tree-dwelling creatures, I have only one thing to say:

Drop Bears.

(perks ears up to pick up traces of serbii and co.'s laughter)
Le gasp! No! They can not be controlled! They'll rip your face off! :biggrin1
serbii

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » May 7th, 2009, 11:38 pm

That's why you summon them so they appear in the midst of the enemy.

From about forty feet up.

And you're downwind.
— Captain America

Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby jgkitarel » May 8th, 2009, 1:55 am

On a completly unrelated note how about the cracktastic ability to summon Weapons from Final Fantasy Vii.

Do you need something to travel at high speed across the Ocean and take horrendous amounts of damage?! Do you need an inbuilt high pressure Water cannon that can cut through very thick metal?
Rely on Sapphire Weapon.

Enemy nin getting you down when you're in the desert? Plant a trap and laugh manically as an obscenly powerful thousand foot tall beast with personal space issues fucks their shit up.
Test drive Ruby Weapon.

Want to deal with a giant city while causing enough terror to make everyone collectively soil themselves? How about four high powered shoulder cannons to deal with things a thousand explosive tags just won't shift?

Underwater enemies stopping you from exploring the depts of the Ocean? Do you think four genuine sholdermounted Laser cannons are guaranteed to ruin their day? How about the ability to instakill your enemies by turning the surrounding water into steam and cooking them alive?
Try out Emerald Weapon.

Feel like exploring the skys on your very own flying death Machine? One that can breath fire and make Quick getaways if you're taking too much punishment?
You need Ultima Weapon.

Having existential problems? Want to just cram all life into one being and head out into the Universe? Do you feel like you want an army of creatures to keep you and the other souls of humanity safe on your trip?

Please note, refunds will not be given in the event of Giant Cannons of Death, Spiky haired Zack Cosplayers with rediculously large swords or Emo Vampires that should stop angsting because they don't need to angst to be cool.
:rofl :cheers:

Nice sales pitch.
Also, I have to punch you, jgkitarel, because I spent a lot of time on the nanoha wiki trying to locate information on mages being trained due to being above a certain rank, only to remember and confirm that you were the one that came up with that. - Phht
Don't forget: Mass Effect is powered by magic space rocks. Evangelion is powered by Your Mom.

jgkitarel

Unread postby AntiNaba » May 8th, 2009, 5:37 am

Rely on Sapphire Weapon.

Test drive Ruby Weapon.

Try out Emerald Weapon.

You need Ultima Weapon.

:rofl :cheers:

Nice sales pitch.
He forgot about the 50,000km oil changes, though.
AntiNaba

Unread postby Darkandus » May 8th, 2009, 12:12 pm

Nope, Weapons run on the belief of the planet.
Darkandus

Unread postby jgkitarel » May 8th, 2009, 7:42 pm

Well, another thing on the squirrels thread that came to me.

Remember Conker's Bad Fur Day from the N64 days? I can just see him looking at Manda and saying:

"Well, at least it's not psychopathic teddy bears, or an opera singin pile of shit. Trust me babe, you don't wanna know. :puke: 'scuse me."

jgkitarel

Unread postby NaruHinaPyroWolf » May 10th, 2009, 1:14 pm

Oh dear god! Mob crows! 1000 reviews to the person who writes it!
Hmm... well in that case:
There was a poof of smoke, and then a crow stood on the forest floor. It stood at not quite three feet in height, with a fedora at a jaunty angle and an unlit cigar in its mouth. “Ay, this ain’t Lil’ Joey’s place! What’s goin’ on here- oh, hey toots!” The bird started visably eyeing up Hinata, much to Naruto’s annoyance. “Well, haven’t seen you ‘fore, miss. My name’s Frank, but if you’d like you can call me Frankie.”
Hinata kept in mind Kurenai-sensei’s warnings about the pride that summoned creatures had about their dignity. Bowing low, she said in as non-threatening as she could “A pleasure to meet you, Frank-san. My name is Hinata.”
The crow looked a bit bashful, toeing the forest loam. “Ah, miss, just Frankie please. Don’t know how ‘ta feel when yer’ after makin’ me sound all respectable and all. Hey!” The bird saw Naruto behind Hinata, glowering. “You wanna start somethin’? Miss, is he botherin’ you?” The bird started advancing on the blond, acting threatining in the kind of comical, over the top way that only a 2’ 10” landbound ganster avian could. “You stop botherin’ this broad, you understa’n me? I only give out warnin’s infrequent-like, so you better watch out!”
“Ah, ano, Frankie, this is my friend.” Hinata wanted to head this off before there was some kind of misunderstanding. Of course, that only led to another misunderstanding.
Frankie stopped his advance and cocked his head at her. “Oh, like tha~at. I see. Well, that’s yer own affair, ‘spose.” He pulled out a lighter from under his wing and started working the wheel a few times, the *clak* *clack* sound fading into the woods. “So, what can ‘ol Frankie do ‘fer ya?”
Hinata showed him the scroll that she had signed. It was smaller than the Toad contract that Jiraya-sama carried around with him, but she still needed both hands to manage it. “Frankie, I have signed this contract and wished to consumate our relationship.”
“Huh. Well, I suppose that I’ll have to tell the Boss. He’ll want to meet’ca, ‘fcourse, but I don’ ‘spose there’ll be any problems.” He took a long drag from his cigar and blew out a smoke ring.”Provisionally speakin’ though, I can say that he’d say yes. He looked over at the scowling blond. “Hey, you better treat her right, or you’ll answer to us, hear? The Family looks after its own.”
Whatever Frankie was expecting, the sudden grin wasn’t it. Finally! This family sounded like it would be better for Hinata than her current one.
--
Naruto had noticed a few changes in his teammate over the las two years. First, as it turned out, Hinata was a girl. Which sounded stupid of course, because of course Hinata was a girl. It was just now, she was a girl girl.
The second change was that she was somewhat more forceful now than when Team 8 was formed in Iruka-sensei’s classroom two years ago. That could only be a good thing, in Naruto’s book, of course, but sometimes it was hard to reconcile the two images of her then and now.
That had started after she had gotten the Crow contract and was accepted into their family. Or Family, rather. The bad thing was that that didn’t mean that she got to leave her current family of jerks and idiots and, and, non-Hinata-likers. So, she had two families. Huh. Weird.
He had thought that he would be jealous that she had two and he had none, but he wasn’t. Maybe, because her first one was so bad, the other one cancled it out. Like how minus one plus one equaled zero. Maybe that left her with effectivly zero families, kinda like him. He thought on that one for a minute before dismissing the idea. It probably just meant that she had a bad family and a better one. At least she was smiling more often these days.
Even if half the time they were smiles like that scary trenchcoat-girl wore.
She was also talking different these days.
“So Mugsy, what’s it look like?” Team 8 was out scouting enemy positions for the Konoha couteroffensive. Or “scoopin’ out the nimrods who’re tryin’ ta muscle in on our turf”, depending on who you talk to.
“Eh, just a couple a’ mooks, boss. Two of ‘em are coverin’ the gate, but they just look bored more than anythin’ else. There’s another four or five in the barracks with a deck of cards. The one without depth preception had a better hand, but the little bald shit has a pair of aces up his sleave and is dealing from the bottom of the deck like an amature. Their boss is sitn’ up in his office with the door locked and is currently enjoyin’ some ‘alone time’ with the secretary, if you know what I mean.” The bird frowned. “Not very pretty, either. Not compared to a coupla’ broads I knew in Fresno. Now they had some good lookin’ tailfethers-“
Case in point; two years ago Hinata-chan would have blushed at the mention of ‘alone time.’ Now she smirked. Smirked! “Well, we might just have to interupt them.”
Shino frowned. “While they do seem unprepared for an attack, our orders are only to scout ahead. Engagements are expected to be avoided whenver possible.”
“Hey, you talkin’ back to the boss, punk?”
“Stuff it, Mugsy. Go back and tell the others to gather nearby. Casual-like, mind. Don’t want these jokers to catch wind of nuthin’ and try to get competant on us. Don’t start nuthin’, either. Just wait for us to make our move. Tell Frankie and Vinnie that I’ve got some messages for ‘em.” Hinata turned to to Shino, and raised an eyebrow.
Shino almost sighed. There were times that his teammates could be rather rash. “Our orders notwithstanding, it seems like a trap to catch an overconfidant reconassence team. An ambush would either wipe out the reconicance team, leaving only Team 19 to serve as the main force’s eyes, or serve to make further recon forces more circumspect, limiting the information that they would gather.”
Hinata nodded thoughtfully. That seemed plausible, and sneaky to boot. As a pair of crows flew in, she had made up her mind. “Vinnie, Frankie. I think these wise guys were gonna try to pull a fast one on us. I want you and a coupla’ the boys to keep an eye on those jokers. See who’s comin’ and goin’, what’s movin’ around, the works. Frankie, tell the Old Man that there’s either an outpost with the worst guards around here, or a trap. Tell ‘em that we’re movin’ on to Point Alpha 5b. If anyone else askes, we’re off to meet with somebody in Tanaka Town.”
--
Hiashi woke all of a sudden. He couldn’t tell what woke him, but when he looked around the room he saw a large dark bird with a vest and black and grey feathers. “Good, you’re awake. It’d look stupid for us to have this conversation while you were asleep.” The bird spoke in a dry, hoarse voice that commanded respect. Gesturing with one wing toward a small chest by the futon, he said “Open it.” Hiashi unlatched the box to find a small, head-shaped object. Lighting a candle, he saw that it was a small pumpkin with one of his daughter’s pictures pinned to it. Hiashi raised an eyebrow. “Origionally, it was going to be her head, but she’s a spunky little thing, and I like that. But if you oubt that I could do it, dig a little deeper.” There was Hanabi’s hairbrush lying under the pumpkin.
“You have my attention.” His voice was remarkably calm for a man woken in the middle of the night, receiving death treats towards his daughter.
“I thought I might. I know who you are, Hyuuga Hiashi. You may consider me as a concerned godfather, of sorts. Now, don’t get me wrong, I’ve got some respect for you, but I’m also a little concerned for some of my people here. I don’t like how they’re bein’ treated here. I realize that you’ve got your own problems to deal with, but you gotta show me a little respect. So, here’s how it is; I don’t interfere with any of your…operations, and in return, you get your head examined and start figurin’ out what a family is. I know that there’ve been some hard choices, I know ‘dat. But ‘dat don’ mean that you gotta be an asshole to e’rybody. You don’ start showin’ respect to people, you’ll start gettin’ what assholes always get sent. I’ve some good friends with the pidgions, so don’ try mess wit’ me on dis’.” Hiashi nodded slowly, trying to figure out what this bird was talking about.
“Oh, and Hiashi.” The bird looked very, very dangerous. “If I ever see your daughters walkin’ outa your house lookin’ like they got hit by a bus again…” the “godfather” gave a very meaningful glance at the box “you never know what’d happen.”
The bird hopped up to the window ledge before spreading wing and flying off into the moonlight, leaving the Hyuuga sitting up in the dark with a chest full of threat and a lot to think about.
I apologize for any poor characterization, etc. Writing with an arm and a leg already in bed is a wonderful way to produce crack, but not so great for coherence.
Personally I rather like it, especially the ending :devil The only thing I didn't like was how Hinata started talking like the crows. Other than that, if you turn this into an actual fanfic, I, along with several other members here I'm sure, will definetely read it. :D
NaruHinaPyroWolf

Unread postby Kitsune no Arashi » May 26th, 2009, 2:43 pm

Tiger Summons.
They come in orange. (Naruto likes orange despite having decided it's inapropriate as a ninja color)
They're BIG on stealth. (Kurenai IS working on this with them but someone who could specifically teach it would be immense.)
They're heavy hitters. (It follows naruto's style; fight smart, hit hard and don't let up till they're dead.)
Kitsune no Arashi

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » May 26th, 2009, 3:43 pm

I like it. And I can't help but picture Tigetron being the model for the Boss Summon, at least in temperment and attitude.
— Captain America

Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby NaruHinaPyroWolf » May 26th, 2009, 5:38 pm

Tiger Summons.
They come in orange. (Naruto likes orange despite having decided it's inapropriate as a ninja color)
They're BIG on stealth. (Kurenai IS working on this with them but someone who could specifically teach it would be immense.)
They're heavy hitters. (It follows naruto's style; fight smart, hit hard and don't let up till they're dead.)
That's a really good idea, if Evil Authorlord decides to give Naruto a summon, and it is not Toads, then this is a summon I would enjoy as much as I would if he did wolves(Sweet, beautiful, majestic, fierce, loyal, WOLVES!!!! :D :P :yay: ) Though then again what do I know? After all I'm just a teenager, not a proffesional literary critic. :D
NaruHinaPyroWolf

Unread postby ewuvi » May 26th, 2009, 5:55 pm

I like Tigers...or maybe I just like the though because I just read the Life of Pi this weekend. Although, I also read Water for Elephants, and think that an elephant would be a fine summon.

Oh yeah, and didn't the almighty Authorlord say he already knew what he was going to do for summons? Or am I recalling incorrectly?
ewuvi

Unread postby NaruHinaPyroWolf » May 26th, 2009, 6:34 pm

Yeah he did say he already decided what the summon will be, I meant if that was what he had decided.
NaruHinaPyroWolf

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » May 26th, 2009, 9:27 pm

He did. Now we only really do it to spawn plot bunnies I think.
— Captain America

Tempest Kitsune

Return to “%s” Team 8