Crowning Moments of Funny in Team 8

Re: Crowning Moments of Funny in Team 8

Unread postby Dechstreme » December 24th, 2009, 2:01 pm

Thanks for clearing that up, MEK. For the record, I got my evidence back in the Making of Features in the bonus disk of the special edition in the first movie.
Dechstreme

Yahoo Messenger: dechstreme@yahoo.com

Unread postby datubaman » December 29th, 2009, 7:00 pm

The epic Kage Bunshin Fail by Naruto in the first Chapter
Spoiler: show
There was a loud pop and two more Narutos appeared on either side of him. Both looked rather pale and sickly. One immediately ran behind some bushes and began making retching sounds. Kurenai felt the burst of malformed chakra when Naruto fired off his technique – she was actually surprised he produced anything at all. The other sickly twin broke wind so violently that he disappeared with a puff of smoke.
This is why Naruto doesn't go to Taco Bell anymore.
datubaman

Unread postby unknown500 » December 30th, 2009, 5:19 pm

The Kyuubi's answer on how to get rid of Orochimaru seal.
“Well, if you hadn’t wimped out and gone unconscious, I’d suggest just cutting the arm off at the elbow,” the fox suggested. “Oh, stop making faces. I bet I could grow it back. Eventually. Anyway, due to your pitiful pain threshold, we have to do this the hard way.”
unknown500

Unread postby Dechstreme » December 30th, 2009, 10:47 pm

There was a loud pop and two more Narutos appeared on either side of him. Both looked rather pale and sickly. One immediately ran behind some bushes and began making retching sounds. Kurenai felt the burst of malformed chakra when Naruto fired off his technique – she was actually surprised he produced anything at all. The other sickly twin broke wind so violently that he disappeared with a puff of smoke.
You forgot about Shinos Comment to the Kage Bunshin Fail.
Dechstreme

Unread postby datubaman » December 31st, 2009, 2:36 am

You forgot about Shinos Comment to the Kage Bunshin Fail.
Oh yeah! :duh Hehe LOL :lol:
datubaman

Unread postby unknown8356 » January 9th, 2010, 9:54 pm

Three moments stand out for me:

The ending of the Shikamaru vs. Temari fight. Granted, we all know it's coming, but it's still hillarious.
“I could make you beat yourself unconscious with your fan,” Shikamaru said with a sigh, “but that would be far too troublesome. I give up.”

Shikamaru released his shadow from Temari, turned, and ambled back toward the stairs. Naruto thought he could hear a cricket chirping somewhere.
Then there's Shino's explaining why Naruto beat Neji to a pulp.
“We are establishing a precedent regarding acceptable behavior towards allies and team members,” Shino announced. “To that end, we propose to demonstrate a willingness to use any and all means to obtain an equitable response, ranging from coercion, influence, and tactical intelligence, to, as needed, extreme levels of physical violence.”
And finally, Kurenai vs. Jiraiya.
“My apologies, Jiraiya-sama,” she said in a formal tone. “My student is, as you can see, still upset. I am, however, fairly well read and I am curious to see if I may have read one of your books. What are their titles?”

“I’m about to publish Icha-Icha Paradise, volume seven!” Jiraiya announced proudly, ignoring the frantic waving of the Hokage’s hands.

“The books with the… orange covers?” Kurenai asked, slipping the kunai back into her hand as the Hokage covered his eyes.

“Why yes,” Jiraiya answered slyly. “I can get you an advance copy, if you like.”

“Naruto,” Kurenai said through slightly clenched teeth. “Would you mind waiting in the hallway for a moment?”
unknown8356

Unread postby eternaleye » January 25th, 2010, 11:00 pm

“Every time I publish a new masterpiece of adult entertainment,” he explained, his grin widening with every word, “I reserve the first thirty copies to be shipped back to old friends in Konoha. Number one is always personally signed, with a dedication to my old sensei.”

Kurenai hung her head, pinching the bridge of her nose as she struggled to rid her mind of the image of Hokage-sama reading an orange book and giggling like Kakashi. She failed miserably. Being a genjutsu master required a vivid and detailed imagination. Times like this made her wonder why she hadn’t become a seamstress like her mother wanted.
This is especially funny for people who have some familiarity with Ankh-Morpork's guild structure.
eternaleye

Unread postby Calinero » January 26th, 2010, 10:03 pm

This is especially funny for people who have some familiarity with Ankh-Morpork's guild structure.

Heh, Discworld references ftw. All those poor, naive women who actually want to become seamstresses....
Calinero

Unread postby Nasdaq » January 29th, 2010, 7:01 pm

“We are establishing a precedent regarding acceptable behavior towards allies and team members,” Shino announced. “To that end, we propose to demonstrate a willingness to use any and all means to obtain an equitable response, ranging from coercion, influence, and tactical intelligence, to, as needed, extreme levels of physical violence.”
Yeah, I think this might be my favorite, as well..
"Sasuke was not really happy with his team. The shy Hyuuga, and the laziest person he'd ever known where not people he'd have picked. And he never expected how a blue-eyed, blond-haired, and newly minted jounin would transform them all into a true team." - Naruto-sensei, currently in Arc 2: The Chuunin Exams
Nasdaq

AOL: VindicatedHunter

Unread postby Calinero » January 30th, 2010, 9:08 pm

Just finished rereading the story, saw one that I hadn't thought about in a while...I have to say that I greatly, greatly appreciated the bit where Chouji's opponent called him fat. Also, the line immediately after was great. "I'll drain you of chakra faster than you can empty a bento box....fatass." Perfect.
Calinero

Unread postby RabeNacht » January 31st, 2010, 2:35 am

One of the things I found to be funny that haven't been mentioned is this scene in chapter 18.
The other Sound ninja was taking a beating from the clones, but managed to dispel six of them. He didn’t see Yugao’s leaping strike before it was too late.

Turning to the clones, she took a deep breath. “Thanks, but who are you?”

Most of the clones were warily scanning the rooftops around them, but one in the middle folded his arms and announced, in a deep growling voice, “We are legion!”

The two clones nearest to the speaker both turned to look at him. He shrugged. The one on the left smacked the back of his head and he disappeared in a cloud of smoke. The one on the right just shook his head. “Sorry, ANBU-san. We’re clones of Uzumaki Naruto. He assigned us to help you for as long as we last.”

Yugao blinked. “You’re all clones? Then where is he?”

“Chasing the Kazekage’s children,” the clone answered sourly.
Can we say Nickname?

I also found Hinata's reaction to Misato in Chapter 11.
The roasted termites are probably about done, but they won’t stay crispy for long.
Fortunately for Hinata, the dinner was fairly normal fare for Konoha, although prepared with obvious precision. She’d had to eat some unusual things at formal dinners, but she wasn’t sure she could eat roasted bugs without some time to prepare herself.
RabeNacht

Unread postby someone » May 28th, 2011, 1:50 pm

By the time they reached the tower, Naruto was nursing one hell of a headache. Between the other teams, the traps that had been set, and the normal forest hazards, less than a third of the clones made it through. The problem was random bits of memory that Naruto was constantly bombarded with as his clones were dispelled in an amazing variety of ways.

His wince was particularly painful when he received the memories of the idiot that expired trying to give Sabaku no Gaara a noogie. He had no idea you could do that with sand, and it looked really painful. At least it was a clone of him and not Shino or Hinata that did it. He didn't want that weird kid focusing on anyone else if he could help it.

On the other hand, he chuckled when he learned of the one that died mooning Neji.
Just imagine the guy's face.
someone

Unread postby Zankaru Zelladonii » May 28th, 2011, 10:45 pm

That's OK; in my head, Shino is voiced by Lawrence Fishburne (especially after the prelims).
Wait, what?
In my head, especially after Shino's question to Lee and Tenten ("What variety of flowers would be appropriate...for your teammate's funeral?") when I read Shino's lines, I hear them in Lawrence Fishburne's voice (especially as Morpheus from The Matrix trilogy; Shino's question especially reminds me of Morpheus' question in 'Reloaded'; "Would that include a bullet from this gun?")

I can completely see that now. Fishburne's voice is going to be stuck in me head as shino's voice from now on, awesome!
"Machiavelli was wrong, it is better to be loved than feared. It is harder to get people to love you, but those bonds are that much harder to break."
I'm a Princeps, the #1 of a Titan, the crazy bastard who wears an angry house to work. - Tomas, Princeps of Warhound Titan Invictorus

~*~ Ultimate Viridian Dream's Fanfic Recommendation List ~*~
Zankaru Zelladonii

Unread postby MrRigger2 » May 30th, 2011, 11:45 am

Perhaps it's only accidental, but during my current re-read of the story from the chapter A Fearful Fallout:
“Which brings me back to my original point,” Kurenai continued. “I don’t think it’s going to help Naruto as a Hokage if he has a reputation as a pervert. All right, I can understand in your case why it might make an acceptable cover, but for such a… why are you laughing?” she demanded.

Jiraiya was actually doubled over, holding his stomach. With a mighty effort, he stifled his laughter, save for an occasional chortle, and straightened up, wiping the tears from his eyes. “I’m sorry, but that’s the funniest thing I’ve heard all day.”

“I don’t see what’s so funny,” Kurenai said.

“Every time I publish a new masterpiece of adult entertainment,” he explained, his grin widening with every word, “I reserve the first thirty copies to be shipped back to old friends in Konoha. Number one is always personally signed, with a dedication to my old sensei.”

Kurenai hung her head, pinching the bridge of her nose as she struggled to rid her mind of the image of Hokage-sama reading an orange book and giggling like Kakashi. She failed miserably. Being a genjutsu master required a vivid and detailed imagination. Times like this made her wonder why she hadn’t become a seamstress like her mother wanted.
The last line is what's sticking out at me, and all I can see is Kurenai going to become an acredited seamstress, only to find out the Konoha Guild of Seamstresses is much the same as the Anhk-Morpork Guild of Seamstresses.

MrRigger
In engineering, the work is only done when there is nothing left to add. In writing, the work is only done when there is nothing left to take away.

Check out Between Magic and Mount Justice
MrRigger2

Unread postby Tarnished Blade » June 22nd, 2011, 3:52 am

The last line is what's sticking out at me, and all I can see is Kurenai going to become an acredited seamstress, only to find out the Konoha Guild of Seamstresses is much the same as the Anhk-Morpork Guild of Seamstresses.

MrRigger
I'm glad I decided to revisit this thread, but I have to say . . .
I don't get it. :leaving:
Tarnished Blade

Unread postby MrRigger2 » June 22nd, 2011, 9:52 am

MrRigger
I'm glad I decided to revisit this thread, but I have to say . . .
I don't get it. :leaving:
The Anhk-Morpork Guild of Seamstresses is actually the Guild of Prostitutes. Kurenai wouldn't be the first to make the mistake, either. It amused me, at least.

MrRigger
In engineering, the work is only done when there is nothing left to add. In writing, the work is only done when there is nothing left to take away.

Check out Between Magic and Mount Justice
MrRigger2

Unread postby TraceReading » June 24th, 2011, 11:26 am

This actually has historical precedent. Since prostitution was (and still is) illegal, in Britain at least when the tax collectors came around the ladies of the night would advertise themselves as seamstresses in order to avoid being arrested for criminal activity. And some of them were actual seamstresses, as a cover or a supplement to their real line of work.
See this look? It's terror!
TraceReading

Unread postby Dechstreme » July 2nd, 2011, 12:11 pm

..... This is awkward.
Dechstreme

Unread postby jgkitarel » July 16th, 2011, 3:52 pm

Not surprising. Despite the illegality of the World's Oldest Trade in many countries, practitioners of such a trade would have found many ways to operate under a cover. The fact that the cover can even be a legitimate trade has many precedents, considering that organized crime often uses such legitimate businesses itself to give that admittedly thin cover to keep law enforcement off their backs.
Also, I have to punch you, jgkitarel, because I spent a lot of time on the nanoha wiki trying to locate information on mages being trained due to being above a certain rank, only to remember and confirm that you were the one that came up with that. - Phht
Don't forget: Mass Effect is powered by magic space rocks. Evangelion is powered by Your Mom.
From his new fic Long Night of the Harvest

My current project on FFN, Mystic Knight Online
jgkitarel

Unread postby wolfman11378 » November 19th, 2011, 11:47 am

Here's a good one during the beginning of Chapter 14 Preliminary Mayhem
Naruto couldn’t help smiling to himself as they tied up the unconscious shinobi. It was about damn time all that planning and training worked right. Of course, it probably helped that they were facing real genin for once.

If that freaky grass dude is really a genin, he’d give up ramen.

For life.
That one really cracked me up.
wolfman11378

Unread postby GiftedAspie » December 4th, 2011, 6:40 am

I personally adored the scene during the prelim's.
So, for once, Uzumaki Naruto decided to keep his mouth shut.

OoOoO

Sitting in an office elsewhere in the tower updating the list of remaining participants, Umino Iruka suddenly stiffened as all the hairs on the back of his neck stood up. He didn’t know what was causing it, but he instinctively knew that a massive violation of the natural order was occurring. He suspiciously peered around, even looking under his desk, but he couldn’t find anything to explain that uneasy feeling.

Controlling his shudders of dread, the chuunin sat back down and double-checked the list again.
That to me, was quite simply epic. And quite beautiful.
"The time for using the knife to remove this cancer is long gone. Bring forth the torch!"
GiftedAspie

Unread postby Avinia » December 1st, 2012, 7:40 pm

"All right," Naruto said dubiously. Then he shook his head. Gai wouldn't let him be injured, even if this was a 'finishing move' – Kurenai-sensei would kill him. For all his quirks, Maito Gai didn't appear to be suicidal.

All the same, Naruto couldn't help but gulp as he dropped into a defensive stance. Lee had his hands clasped together and gasped "First Gate: Open!"

Then he disappeared in a blur of motion.

Naruto's eyes had just begun to track downward when Lee's foot drove upward into his stomach, launching him into the air. He heard Lee shout "Kage Buyo" and suddenly he could see his sparring partner out of the corner of his eye, leaping into the air behind him, in a parallel arc.

Naruto felt something wrapping around his arms. He looked down as he struggled to free himself. It looked like Lee's arm bandages. Then the boy's arms wrapped around his upper arms in a grip of iron. "Omote Renge!" Lee shouted as they began to spin rapidly. As he struggled to break free, a corner of his mind observed that he was very lucky to have not eaten breakfast yet.

It was hard to tell with all the spinning, but Naruto thought they had passed the top of their shared trajectory and were now shooting toward the ground at high speed. As he frantically tried to break free, he realized the purpose of this strange attack. With the way Lee gripped him, his head would strike the ground first – with their combined momentum behind it. Truly a deadly technique.

Naruto's appreciation of the technique was, of course, marred by the fact that he was about to become its first victim. He was seriously considering calling on the red chakra when the two of them jarred to a halt.

"That's enough!" Gai shouted as he caught the two of them. With Lee's grip relaxed, Naruto was able to burst out of the bandages. He tried to turn around and immediately fell to the ground, too dizzy to walk.

"Did I do it right?" Lee asked in a worried tone as leaned forward, resting his hands on his knees.

"If you didn't, I don't ever want to see the right version," Naruto groaned as he tried to swallow. Empty or not, his stomach was feeling rather delicate at the moment; that launching kick certainly hadn't helped either. He saw Hinata, out of the corner of his eye, watching anxiously. He gave her a small wave and she looked down with a sigh of relief.

"Yes, Lee…" Gai said, pausing dramatically. "You have mastered the Omote Renge!" he shouted.

"Such a flowery name for a move that plants your opponent like a turnip," Naruto groused as he tried to climb to his feet, sternly addressing his rebellious inner ear; how Lee was able to stand up at all was completely beyond him.

"You ever catch him with that turnip-planting move, you'll kick his ass," Naruto agreed, his stomach rolling slightly at the memory.

"You ever catch him with that turnip-planting move, you'll kick his ass," Naruto agreed, his stomach rolling slightly at the memory.

Chapter 9
Avinia

Unread postby LinkSeasonMaster » May 12th, 2014, 4:41 pm

The following conversation from Chapter 22, especially the last few lines, just gets me every time.
"Look Tsunade, I'll get right to the point," Jiraiya began. I want Naruto as my apprentice."

"Okay."

"I know I haven't been here for him growing up like I should have been," the old lecher admitted with a grimace, "but I'd heard some ugly rumors that needed chasing down, and I thought the Old Man had things under control. Well, now I know better, and I can't leave him alone."

"Okay."

"I've got a lot of things I can teach him, things he needs to learn," Jiraiya continued, clearly not listening yet. "His father's jutsu, for one thing. And maybe how to get a handle on the Fox's chakra without hurting himself."

"Okay," Tsunade replied, her teeth starting to grind.

"I know you don't think much of my sense of responsibility," Jiraiya plowed on, "but he's my Godson. And I made a promise to his Jonin-sense as well. I-"

"DAMMIT JIRAIYA. I SAID YES! NOW SHUT UP BEFORE I KILL YOU!" Tsunade yelled.

The Toad Hermit was gone before the Chuunin guard even got the door open.
Just the right amount of dialogue, and paced just as smoothly. Great comedic writing here, folks! Then again, considering the other gems this story has been offering long before that, that's not surprising.
"This world is full of interesting things! It's the best! You don't have even one second to waste doing stuff you don't want to do!" - Kagami Junichirou
LinkSeasonMaster

Unread postby Dechstreme » May 12th, 2014, 9:22 pm

Whoa, talk about thread necromancy. Welcome to the Forums, LSM.
Dechstreme

Unread postby LinkSeasonMaster » May 12th, 2014, 9:53 pm

It's a pleasure to be here! Admittedly, I've been checking out this particular thread from time to time since I first discovered Team 8 a while back, but I can't help it. While not an outright comedy, the humor in this story always gets a laugh from me. So even if this thread hasn't gotten much attention lately, the fact that it's dedicated to funny moments in one of my favorite pieces of fan fiction is all the reason I need to post here myself. That, and I'm sure there are plenty of funny moments that nobody has brought up yet.
"This world is full of interesting things! It's the best! You don't have even one second to waste doing stuff you don't want to do!" - Kagami Junichirou
LinkSeasonMaster

Return to “%s” Team 8