Chapter 20 Discussion

Re: Chapter 20 Discussion

Unread postby Nitramy » October 3rd, 2010, 10:47 pm

For one thing, the Third is still alive.

And how would getting "Boom, headshot!"-ed by a chakra-laced kunai remove constraints, unless...

Unless...

*starts speculating*
slowly but surely / the moon / quietly goes to the stars
my fanfiction.net profile
Nitramy

AOL: linuxblacksarena

Unread postby bookworm702 » October 3rd, 2010, 11:09 pm

Since when were you under the impression that the kunai was laced with chakra?

bookworm702

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » October 4th, 2010, 1:15 am

Well, it did punch through her forehead protector.
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby Chuckg » October 4th, 2010, 8:29 am

In this context, Dunkelzahn's Will is being referenced in that the wily old bastard deliberately arranged the terms of his will so that it either manipulated, instigated, or stopped about 50% of the total amount of megacorporate and international intrigue going on in the world for the next decade. You know... calculated reveals of hidden secrets, sudden infusions of capital to people who'd always wanted to act but never had the wherewithal to, large bequests waiting for 'the first person or corporation to achieve X scientific advancement', all calculated for maximum effect. Some of what he did ended up destroying one of the world's ten largest megacorporations, rearranging the boards of directors of two more, and creating another damn near out of whole cloth. Dunkelzahn's will was a late Shadowrun 2nd edition product, and the effects of it on the metaplot carried all the way across Third Edition, and only started dying down come the fourth.

Dunkelzahn may have been a benevolent old dragon, but he didn't live as long as he did without also being one twisty, manipulative, and downright genius son-of-a-bitch. Hell, even his death was on his own terms. :)

So yes, Kurenai might have arranged for her will to throw a few cats in among the pigeons, along the same principle (if not the same scale).
Chuckg

Unread postby Lilcross » October 7th, 2010, 8:58 pm

Team 8's Kurenai wasn't too likely to hook up with Asuma. He's a good shinobi, but his slacker nature would drive her up the wall. This is different from canon because this Kurenai is much more driven than her canon counterpart. She'd regard Team 10's lack of decent preparation as the worst sort of neglect. (Sort of how someone who has lost a loved one to a drunk driver views someone who casually drinks and drives - even if they have been lucky and never had an accident.)

If Itachi hadn't come along, she *might* have gotten more interested in Umino Iruka, as he struck her as more of an adult. But that's still questionable, because she was scarred by Mattai's death when she was a genin. (Something that didn't happen in canon.)

Yes, the mentor dying is a trope, but anyone in Konoha thinking this will interfere with her goals isn't thinking things through. In fact, if you think back, this has likely... removed... some of the constraints on her. And no, I'm not implying anything of a supernatural nature.
Oh, no...don't make me re-read it again. But now I'm curious. Crap...
Lilcross

Unread postby viridian » October 7th, 2010, 9:32 pm

I find that comparison to be... rather apt. Bravo!
-
Viridian
viridian
Site Admin

Unread postby SLAMU » October 8th, 2010, 1:34 am

Let's all take a moment to read through the quotes the Mighty Authorlord keeps on his sig, shall we?

Alright, enough with that. Who wanted the bannana?
SLAMU

Unread postby jgkitarel » October 8th, 2010, 7:48 pm

ME! ME!
Also, I have to punch you, jgkitarel, because I spent a lot of time on the nanoha wiki trying to locate information on mages being trained due to being above a certain rank, only to remember and confirm that you were the one that came up with that. - Phht
Don't forget: Mass Effect is powered by magic space rocks. Evangelion is powered by Your Mom.
From his new fic Long Night of the Harvest

My current project on FFN, Mystic Knight Online
jgkitarel

Return to “%s” Team 8