Theme music

Theme music

Unread postby spudman » November 24th, 2008, 8:33 pm

If the Team 8 characters had their own theme songs, what would they be?

Naruto: Tom Petty: I won't back down
or maybe Metallica's "Broken, beat, and scarred", both about staying tough...but different tones. Probably the first one, Naruto leans more toward optimistic.
Kurenai: part of me wants to say Cake's "short skirt, long jacket" since it describes an intelligent, quietly intense woman, but the clothing does match Anko.
Don't know about Hinata and Shino.

Course there are also plenty of other characters who might have songs that suit them well. If anyone can think of a song that suits a particular chapter/scene feel free to bring that up too.

A slightly related question, what kind of music do you think the characters themselves would prefer?

I see Naruto as a metal fan *throws up horns*(probably speed/thrash in particular). What better way to vent his frustration and anger (without doing so on the villagers) than go home and crank up the metal?
spudman

Re: Theme music

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » November 24th, 2008, 10:52 pm

Naruto - Me Against the World, Simple Plan
Hinata - Beautiful Soul (with Naruto singing it to her of course), Jesse McCartny. Alternately - Drops of Jupiter, Train
Shino - Harder to Breath, Maroon 5
Kurenai - Home By the Sea, Genisis
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby viridian » November 25th, 2008, 12:12 am

Here are some random thoughts of mine...

Naruto - Genesis "Land of Confusion", Stan Bush "You Got the Touch", maybe even some George Thoroughgood and the Delaware Destroyers "Bad to the Bone"... or Linkin Park "In the End" (coming soon)...

Hinata - Linkin Park "In the End" (especially during her fight with Neji)

Shino - Linkin Park "Crawling (in my Skin)"

Sabaku no Gaara - Disturbed "Down with the Sickness"

Kurenai - Masterplan "The Spirit Never Dies", Weezer "Still Preoccupied with 1985"

Maito Gai - Joey Scarbury "Believe it or Not" (Theme from The Greatest American Hero)

Hatake Kakashi - Blue Oyster Cult "Veteran of the Psychic Wars"

Anko - Anything by Joan Jett and the Blackhearts

The Hokage - Billy Joel "We Didn't Start the Fire"

Orochimaru - Shiro Hamaguchi "Liberi Fatali"
-
Viridian
viridian
Site Admin

Unread postby Essex » November 25th, 2008, 1:11 am

Rock Lee - Eye of the Tiger

On a tangenitally related note, Harry Potter from NoFP fits disturbingly well with the lyrics to My Chemical Romance's Welcome to the Black Parade. The few lyrics that don't apply to Harry apply to his nemesis, Voldemort.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am the man who will help you fan the flames of your youthful power to greater heights!"
"Arson? Cool!" Naruto said enthusiastically.
"I like fire," Sasuke admitted.
"Konoha shall burn," Hinata added quietly. - People Lie, Chapter 14.
Essex

Unread postby Jamey » November 25th, 2008, 12:35 pm

Here are some random thoughts of mine...

Naruto - Genesis "Land of Confusion", Stan Bush "You Got the Touch", maybe even some George Thoroughgood and the Delaware Destroyers "Bad to the Bone"... or Linkin Park "In the End" (coming soon)...

All good suggestions - Sixteen Tons (Tennessee Ernie Ford) also comes to mind...
Hinata - Linkin Park "In the End" (especially during her fight with Neji)

Shino - Linkin Park "Crawling (in my Skin)"
I'm not up on some of these newer groups like Linkin Park - I mostly cut off at the mid 80s.
Sabaku no Gaara - Disturbed "Down with the Sickness"

Kurenai - Masterplan "The Spirit Never Dies", Weezer "Still Preoccupied with 1985"

Maito Gai - Joey Scarbury "Believe it or Not" (Theme from The Greatest American Hero)

OK, this is just *FULL* of win. I really enjoyed the concept of that show. I wish it had gone further.
Hatake Kakashi - Blue Oyster Cult "Veteran of the Psychic Wars"

Yes. Nailed it. 10.0 from the East German Judge.
Anko - Anything by Joan Jett and the Blackhearts

Anko does seem that type - though I'm not sure how much of it is fanon vs. canon.
The Hokage - Billy Joel "We Didn't Start the Fire"

Especially when you consider that Billy Joel wanted to be a history teacher at one point. And a wonderful song - it's fun to listen and pick out the references you can recognize.
Orochimaru - Shiro Hamaguchi "Liberi Fatali"
I'll have to dig this one up somewhere. Neat.
Jamey

Unread postby shoootme » November 25th, 2008, 1:43 pm

Naruto-Burn in my Light by (cant remember but its a wwe song) also was "in the end" a hint from the next chapter...
Hinata-Concrete Angel by Martina McBride.
Rock lee - rock you like a hurricane by Scorpions (there was a good AMV that just suited lee perfectly but youtube band it under copyright law).

as to the question "what kind of music do you think the characters themselves would prefer?"

naruto-anything he would be sold probably something really bad (Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up)
hinata- classical Japanese songs as anything else would "disrespect her family name"
sasuke- emo
rock lee- eye of the tiger on repeat one.......
shik- nothing but when you have headphones on know one bothers you.
shoootme

Unread postby viridian » November 25th, 2008, 3:50 pm

I think Linkin Park was the one of the first post-80s bands I actually bought multiple albums from. (With the exception of Enya.) You can hear them on a lot of different videos on Youtube.

That reminds me...

Naruto - His more intensive training sequences could be set to "Book of Days" from Enya.

Hinata - "Sail Away" by Enya (Watermark), because that's what she'd really like to do some day...

Kurenai - "Boadicea" By Enya (from The Celts)... there is a creepy brooding waiting element to this song that really fits, now that I think about it. It can be 100+ degrees in my truck, but this song will still put chills down my spine.
-
Viridian
viridian
Site Admin

Unread postby Shoubushi » November 25th, 2008, 8:41 pm

I think Linkin Park was the one of the first post-80s bands I actually bought multiple albums from. (With the exception of Enya.) You can hear them on a lot of different videos on Youtube.

That reminds me...

Naruto - His more intensive training sequences could be set to "Book of Days" from Enya.

Hinata - "Sail Away" by Enya (Watermark), because that's what she'd really like to do some day...

Kurenai - "Boadicea" By Enya (from The Celts)... there is a creepy brooding waiting element to this song that really fits, now that I think about it. It can be 100+ degrees in my truck, but this song will still put chills down my spine.
I listen to Enya a bunch too. Her and Loreena Mckennit make for pretty decent music to listen to at work when the mood strikes me. On a related note, your mentioning about Boadicea and its creepiness reminded me of the first time I ever heard it. It was at the end of Stephen King's Sleepwalkers.
Shoubushi

Unread postby SquirrelyRequiem » November 26th, 2008, 12:56 am

Nooooo, the perfect theme song for Naruto would be...Andrew W.K.'s "Into the Clear!"

The Decemberists' "O' Valencia" might work well for Hinata, especially in Team 8 canon.
SquirrelyRequiem

Unread postby MorphCross » November 26th, 2008, 1:18 am

It really is objective.

IMO, Canon Naruto in the beginning fits in very well with Metallica's Unforgiven.

Tom Petty's Won't back down is also a good choice.

Team 8 Naruto is a harder pick.

Shikamaru could be a cantidate for Yes' I've seen all good people seeing as how he can apply shougi (chess) to life.

What are the chances that most of our picks for character theme's are based on AMV's? :biggrin1
MorphCross

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » November 26th, 2008, 1:24 am

Pretty dang likely I'd say.
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby Wittgen » November 26th, 2008, 1:52 am

Are you sure 1985 is Wheezer and not bowling for soup? Maybe Wheezer just has a similarly named song that I am not aware of, but my google foo didn't turn up anything...

If you read "love" as "fires of youth," I think I Believe in a Thing Called Love by the Darkness is a good fit for Gai. At least, I'd really want to see him karaoking that like it ain't no thang.

I didn't sleep last night. Communication anywhere, let alone the internet is probably not the best of ideas. I will come back with more, hopefully not bad ideas if/when I have them.
Wittgen

Unread postby MEKristian » November 26th, 2008, 2:40 am

To be totally different, I'm going with "HEATS" by Nironobu Kageyama for Gai/Lee. Heck, Anything Hotblooded works for them, regardless of how well the lyrics may-or-may-not fit.

Bet nobody else has heard it though...
:leaving:
MEKristian

AOL: MEKristian

Unread postby MorphCross » November 26th, 2008, 2:46 am

Listening to it right now just to prove you wrong. :P :lol: ;) Isn't Youtube just grand?
MorphCross

Unread postby Soulfuzion » November 26th, 2008, 5:19 am

That reminds me...

I listen to Enya a bunch too. Her and Loreena Mckennit make for pretty decent music to listen to at work when the mood strikes me. On a related note, your mentioning about Boadicea and its creepiness reminded me of the first time I ever heard it. It was at the end of Stephen King's Sleepwalkers.
I tend to listen to a lot of Enya myself, though my themes are a bit different and spread out for Team 8:
  • Naruto - This one is threefold: Behind Blue Eyes - Limp Bizit (his past) The River Sings - Enya (his training), Hero - Chad Kroeger/Josey Scott (for his heroic moments).
  • Hinata - Her themes are intersting in my eyes: Anywhere Is - Enya and We Belong - Pat Benatar (especially with Naruto)
  • Shino - For him, it had to start still and yet move with power, so it was: Go - Andy Hunter and Emergence - Richard Dekkard (Auto Assault OST)
  • Kurenai - While I agree Boadicea is great choice I also think that: The Blessed Spirits - Vanessa-Mae complements her as well.
  • Shikamaru - Heh, this was easy: Lazy Days - Enya (for obvious reasons) and One Vision - Queen (for his great intelligence).
  • Gaara - Oh this one was easy and hard at the same time: Forze De Male - Kingdom Hearts OST (for his appearance as the Kinju-tanuki) and Desert Rose - Sting (when he realized his connection to Temari).
  • Haku - Well this one was a fun one to figure out: The World I Know - Collective Soul (for Haku's past and the chance for a new life)
  • Sauske - I dare you to read into this one: Black Celebration - Depeche Mode (so moody) and Voices In My Head - Dennis Leary (a wacky look at his curse mark effects).
  • Maito Gai - Hmm...I'll have to go with: Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger - Daft Punk and Ready, Steady, Go - Paul Oakenfold (though these could easily fit Rock Lee too).
  • Anko - Easy! : Livin' on the Edge - Aerosmith (her dangerous abilities) and Stromata - Charlotte Martin (and her sensuality).
  • Kakashi - I had to think on this one: The Outside - Staind and Another Brick in the Wall - Pink Floyd (for his questionable teaching methods)
  • Jiraiya - *Snort* I could not help myself: Addicted to Love - Robert Palmer ('nuff said).
  • Third Hokage - In all honesty, this the only one that fits him: Like Flames - Berlin
  • Orochimaru - Dark, evil and creepy? It had to be: PIMPF - Depeche Mode (his overall mood), Will I Ever Understand You - Berlin (for his many faces) and Destai - Kingdom Heats OST (his battle theme).
Wow that list got bigger that expected... :o :D
Last edited by Soulfuzion on November 26th, 2008, 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Soulfuzion

Unread postby MorphCross » November 26th, 2008, 5:53 am

Kakashi=Another Brick in the Wall made me crack up. :D Avid fan of the Floyd here. Though that did bring back some disturbing imagery from the movie. :?

Living on the Edge. A very apt way to descibe Anko. She'd be good fun with a handfull of M80's, just don't sneak up on her if you value your life.
MorphCross

Unread postby Locke1911 » November 26th, 2008, 12:38 pm

well, most of my ideas have already been said, so...

there's actually an excellent AMV out there on this same concept: NarutoHeck, by Moorefox
Link: Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDjsqPx9Cco
Link: Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2h4LfIUYgg

Cheers! :lurk:
Locke1911

Unread postby MEKristian » November 26th, 2008, 1:34 pm

Listening to it right now just to prove you wrong. :P :lol: ;) Isn't Youtube just grand?
And maybe that was the plan all along :D
MEKristian

AOL: MEKristian

Unread postby Jamey » November 26th, 2008, 2:48 pm

What are the chances that most of our picks for character theme's are based on AMV's? :biggrin1
I'd have to say not too likely - I certainly don't view many AMVs. The last one I watched had scenes from Ranma, I think, and riffed off of Lords of Acid's "I Must Increase My Bust". Then again, Lords of Acid has a lot of fun.

Jiraiya: Bloodhound Gang's "Bad Touch (The Discovery Channel Song)".
Jamey

Unread postby MorphCross » November 26th, 2008, 3:24 pm

You "asked" for it :moon More proof that there is nothing original under the sun.

It'll probably seem a little trite but the Konoha 12's cumulative theme could be POD's Youth of the Nation.
MorphCross

Unread postby unknown62 » November 26th, 2008, 6:19 pm

Hinata: Falling On by Finger Eleven
Kakashi, Tokeidai No Kane (Clocktower Bell) by Tsukiko Amano
Orochimaru: Joker Jo by Tsukiko Amano
Naruto: Idea by Tsukiko Amano

I want to say Hisui by Tsukiko Amano, for either Neji or Hinata, I just can't figure out which.

That said I should probably try listening to more songs in english.
unknown62

Unread postby Jamey » November 27th, 2008, 11:30 am

You "asked" for it :moon More proof that there is nothing original under the sun.

It'll probably seem a little trite but the Konoha 12's cumulative theme could be POD's Youth of the Nation.
No, not a matter of originality - I'd call it a matter of inevitability. I suspect Jiraiya was the original inspiration for that song in the first place!

Youth of the Nation brings a vague memory to mind - I'm going to have to hit up a lyrics site for the words.
Jamey

Unread postby unknown304 » November 27th, 2008, 12:14 pm

Hinata is so 'Absolutely (Story of a Girl)' by Nine Days.
unknown304

Unread postby MorphCross » November 27th, 2008, 7:30 pm

No, not a matter of originality - I'd call it a matter of inevitability. I suspect Jiraiya was the original inspiration for that song in the first place!

Youth of the Nation brings a vague memory to mind - I'm going to have to hit up a lyrics site for the words.
Really the chorus would be the only thing that would really apply. Unless you interpret "taking two to the chest" as punches instead of gunshot wounds.

The song is really about modern school shootings, suicide, and I believe promiscuity.
MorphCross

Unread postby DidelotM1 » November 28th, 2008, 3:53 pm

Naruto: unbreakable - bon jovi - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKp_8c7Kn0o

Hinata: somewhere I belong - linkin park -(lyrics)http://www.elyrics.net/read/l/linkin-pa ... yrics.html

Sasuke: Hurricane years - alice cooper - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVYjzvchPPo

Rookie 9 in General: Youth Gone Wild - skid row - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBvaYwITW74
DidelotM1

Return to “%s” Team 8