Just a little warning...

Just a little warning...

Unread postby ArcaneAzmadi » January 31st, 2012, 12:10 am

Chapter 22 has been so delayed (over a year since chapter 21) that the series is now being officially classified as a Dead Fic on its own tropes page at TV Tropes. Consider that a little incentive to pick up the pace- none of us want to see the story fade away into oblivion forever.
ArcaneAzmadi

Re: Just a little warning...

Unread postby Aldraia Dragonsong » January 31st, 2012, 1:30 am

Odd that, the Authorlord has often stated that he is still working on it, albeit slowly.

Now, dear, I understand that you are new here. Please understand that the Authorlord is working as fast as he can given the many delays caused by his life and the fact that he wants to produce truly quality work. "Picking up the pace" is simply not possible at this time. If you could treat his efforts with a little more courtesy, it would be greatly appreciated by all.
Random Scholomance Quote of However Long It Takes Me To Get Bored of the Last One:
“Ancell: respecting personal boundaries to the detriment of his friends since 1993.” ~bookworm702
Aldraia Dragonsong

Unread postby gamebrain89 » January 31st, 2012, 1:35 am

First of all, as this was your first post, welcome to the forum.

Secondly, just because its been classified as a dead fic on TVtropes doesn't mean its dead. The majority of this forum will be the first to tell you that $^%t happens. Real life takes precedent over everything for any fic writer. As neither you nor I are paying the Author for his work, we are in no position to tell him to "Pick up the pace". This is something he does for the fun of it, and we benefit from it. Enjoy what we have!

His progress on the chapters maybe slow, but progress is being made. If it does come to a point where eventually it does die, so be it. No one wants it to happen, but if it does, that's the author's prerogative. and in my experience, hearing "Hurry up already" doesn't make writing any more enjoyable.
Think Globally. Act Within Local Variable Scope.
<div> Q: How do you annoy a Web Developer? </span>
Kingdom Hearts: Visions of Destiny- The Game So Far...
gamebrain89

Unread postby Nasdaq » January 31st, 2012, 1:37 am

I think it's less 'hurry up already' and more 'hey, uh, just an FYI,' guys.

Personally, I think we need a new catagory. Schrödinger's Fic. It's dealived!
"Sasuke was not really happy with his team. The shy Hyuuga, and the laziest person he'd ever known where not people he'd have picked. And he never expected how a blue-eyed, blond-haired, and newly minted jounin would transform them all into a true team." - Naruto-sensei, currently in Arc 2: The Chuunin Exams
Nasdaq

AOL: VindicatedHunter

Unread postby Aldraia Dragonsong » January 31st, 2012, 1:48 am

Oh, Gamebrain reminds me of something I forgot; welcome to the forum, ArcaneAzmadi!
Random Scholomance Quote of However Long It Takes Me To Get Bored of the Last One:
“Ancell: respecting personal boundaries to the detriment of his friends since 1993.” ~bookworm702
Aldraia Dragonsong

Unread postby ArcaneAzmadi » February 1st, 2012, 7:09 am

I think it's less 'hurry up already' and more 'hey, uh, just an FYI,' guys.

Personally, I think we need a new catagory. Schrödinger's Fic. It's dealived!
Uh yeah, that was more my intention. Even if it's not a dead fic, it's never a good thing to be perceived as such. No offence intended.
ArcaneAzmadi

Unread postby SynzofGlikus » February 1st, 2012, 5:53 pm

We all want more of Viridan's dreams to be fleshed out in a form we can understand, that's why we hang around his forum :D. Once we have the technology to view the dreams via some kind of mental uplink we can just come here to quest and whatnot but until then we happily/patiently wait. While your waiting for a new chapter however you can always check out some of the recommended Naruto fics on the forums or some of my latest favorites > http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4370189/1/W ... t_of_Stone
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4611673/1/N ... mpensation
That author has a few crazy one shots too and if your looking for something more Sakura centric this amazing fic finished fairly recently too http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5193644/1/
“My dear friends,” said the king, “we have come a long way… yet our journey has only just begun. Our species is young on this planet. Today we are like children again. The future lies open before us. We shall go into this future and try to do better than we have done in the past. We have time now – time to get things right, time to grow up, time to learn from our mistakes, time for the slow process of building a better world, and time to get settled in it.
The True Fable
SynzofGlikus

Unread postby ArcaneAzmadi » February 17th, 2012, 8:33 am

While we're on the subject, have you all seen the 'Team 8' tropes page? EVERY creator should be aware of their work's tropes page!
ArcaneAzmadi

Unread postby jgkitarel » February 17th, 2012, 9:34 pm

Some here were the ones who basically set it up, along with Nightmares of Futures Past.
Also, I have to punch you, jgkitarel, because I spent a lot of time on the nanoha wiki trying to locate information on mages being trained due to being above a certain rank, only to remember and confirm that you were the one that came up with that. - Phht
Don't forget: Mass Effect is powered by magic space rocks. Evangelion is powered by Your Mom.
From his new fic Long Night of the Harvest

My current project on FFN, Mystic Knight Online
jgkitarel

Unread postby Otakkun » April 6th, 2012, 3:49 pm

Good to know the fic is still alive. I don't mind waiting some more as long as there's something to wait for =)
Otakkun

Unread postby GiftedAspie » April 21st, 2012, 7:36 am

/casts Raise Dead on fanfic
/it's ineffective

Damn, apparently only Viridian can perform that spell. *Grins*

It's worth waiting for though.
"The time for using the knife to remove this cancer is long gone. Bring forth the torch!"
GiftedAspie

Unread postby lilmspayne » May 1st, 2012, 5:48 pm

I think we al know that RL can be hell, we may not get it now, or tomorrow but soon!
lilmspayne

Here's another way of putting it

Unread postby hga » July 16th, 2012, 9:57 am

I have no insight into the author's life expectancy, although I get the impression he's younger than I am.

I do have a lot into mine, and I have a reasonable expectation that I have at least another quarter century while retaining my intellectual capacity.

I have no expectation that I will be able to read the final chapter of Team 8 before I die. (Maybe NoFP, it could be closer to the conclusion.)

So to me it's a "Dead Fic"; even when additional chapters come out, I'm very uncertain I should make further emotional investments into it (not that that's likely to prevent me from reading them :-).

- Harold
hga

Unread postby ArcaneAzmadi » September 26th, 2012, 10:55 pm

Hate to be the one to point it out, but the textbook definition of Dead Fic includes this specific clause:
The death knell comes when, rather than simply coming out with a new chapter, the author just assures the audience they haven't given up.
ArcaneAzmadi

Unread postby jgkitarel » September 28th, 2012, 11:26 am

Hmm, nope, not quite dead yet, though it is a little sickly right now due to RL and plot issues.
Also, I have to punch you, jgkitarel, because I spent a lot of time on the nanoha wiki trying to locate information on mages being trained due to being above a certain rank, only to remember and confirm that you were the one that came up with that. - Phht
Don't forget: Mass Effect is powered by magic space rocks. Evangelion is powered by Your Mom.

jgkitarel

Unread postby hga » September 28th, 2012, 11:55 am

Well, I can certainly see plot issues, the last chapter definitively closed off a section, perhaps the first part, of the story.

Going forward, Team 8 will have to be assigned a new Jounin sensei (a cunning advantage of the Council denying everyone advancement), there's no way that won't be rough for a while, and the backstory almost certainly has come into play in earnest given Hinata's "unseemly" behavior ... although Hiashi knows someone who can almost certainly stomp him flat is on their side (Kakashi, who's well on his way to S-rank). How this all plays out should be fairly obvious, but it all depends on how the author intends to move the plot forward.
hga

Unread postby runsamok » October 27th, 2012, 2:45 pm

Just a note from the Authorlord's beta.. the Writing Progress bar has been updated with progress on Chapter 22 for Team 8. Now that NOFP Chapter 39 is done, there should be some more movement on Team 8. :yay:
Sincerely,
Lindsey Schocke (aka Runsamok)

"In the penny jar of life, I want to be a quarter."
runsamok

Unread postby hga » October 27th, 2012, 3:21 pm

[...] the Writing Progress bar has been updated with progress on Chapter 22 for Team 8. Now that NOFP Chapter 39 is done, there should be some more movement on Team 8. :yay:
I'll make sure to block out some time 2-3 years from now to read it ( 1/2 :-( 1/2 :-).

- Harold
hga

Unread postby jgkitarel » October 27th, 2012, 4:56 pm

Shouldn't take quite that long. There were reasons why RL kept him from writing for so long.

jgkitarel

Unread postby Otakkun » January 10th, 2013, 10:51 am

:joe:

:biggrin:
Otakkun

Unread postby Greatlimmick » January 12th, 2013, 2:06 pm

Don't be so impatient. It's still a few days until the second anniversary of the last update.
Greatlimmick

Unread postby Rague » February 2nd, 2013, 1:33 pm

Odd that, the Authorlord has often stated that he is still working on it, albeit slowly.
Where did the nickname "Authorlord" come from?
Rague

Unread postby jgkitarel » February 3rd, 2013, 9:40 pm

Running gag that dates from the Yahoo forum days.

jgkitarel

Unread postby MortisMage » August 30th, 2013, 5:06 pm

So what happened to this Yahoo forum? I saw it on one of the Team 8 chapters, but apparently it doesn't exist anymore.
MortisMage

Unread postby Wraith5 » August 30th, 2013, 5:40 pm

Yeah, I noticed that too. But I'm guessing it got dismantled after everything was moved here. Although, I AM a bit curious. Is there an archive we could go through that has the 'crowning moments of forum hilarity' or something like that? :whistle:
"Boss, why is it that you always say 'I've got a plan' like a terrorist says 'I've got a bomb'?" - Garrus Vakarian in Razor's Edge: Requiem (a Mass Effect fan-fic)
"Sometimes I stop to think and forget to start again." - t-shirt
"I don't understand, but I disagree." - my older sister misquoting my younger brother ("I understand, but...")
"Come to the Darkside; We have bacon." - t-shirt
Wraith5

Return to “%s” Team 8