A suggestion

A suggestion

Unread postby Nitramy » May 3rd, 2012, 4:29 am

...Can any future chapters of Team 8 be outsourced to different writers? If only for faster output. Obviously, the Evil Authorlord will have the final say, volunteers will be screened based on their writing ability and their commitment (maybe a one snippet-a-week is enough) to this task.

I mean, do something like this...
Spoiler: show

Scene 1: Team 8 gets a mission to clear the ruins of a burned-down house and runs into Kurama Yakumo, who has been basically catatonic since Kurenai bit the big one. Somehow, Naruto's presence rouses her from her state, and she relates to them normally. The mission goes off without a hitch.

Scene 2: A dark shadow attacks random genin and civilians of Konoha at night, and Team 8 is thus given the mission to track down the perpetrator under their new jonin-sensei Yamato (or anyone the Authorlord deems worthy). They're on edge because the attacks seem to occur near where Yakumo lives.

Scene 3: Some exposition goes here, maybe Naruto talking to Jiraiya and getting a few tips on seals and sealing. Team 8 also talks about how they have to move on now that Kurenai's gone.

Scene 4: Night patrol, and Team 8 runs into a monster who they fend off successfully. Hinata wounds the monster with a Gentle Fist strike to the shoulder.

Scene 5: The next day, the team decides to go see Yakumo and see how she's holding up. They immediately go on alert when they see Yakumo clutching her injured shoulder every now and then.

Scene 6: The Hokage finds out something disturbing about the Kurama clan and sends Shizune to assist Team 8...

Scene 7: Team 8 finds out that Yakumo's repressed chakra has taken on a life of its own, becoming a monster. A fight ensues, and Naruto is forced to call on the Nine-Tails' chakra. But somehow, the monster grows stronger... Team 8's on their last rope when Shizune arrives in time, tells them the monster's weakness, and Team 8 (and Naruto, who has since dispelled his transformation) subdue the monster with a coordinated attack, enough for Shizune to apply the seal paper to suppress the thing.

Scene 8: Jiraiya is brought in to undo the seals on Yakumo. It seems that the chakra Yakumo absorbed have given her a physical boost, allowing her to continue her ninja career. Naruto is given a primer on Onmyoton-based jutsu. Snippet ends as Team 8 brings Yakumo to where Kurenai is laid to rest, and watch as she mourns her mentor.
Something like that, but volunteers can take up to several snippets depending on the volume of writing each snippet requires.

I hope this suggestion is satisfactory.
slowly but surely / the moon / quietly goes to the stars
my fanfiction.net profile
Nitramy

AOL: linuxblacksarena

Re: A suggestion

Unread postby guyfonderball » May 4th, 2012, 8:44 am

I don't think this is a good idea. As the proverb says: too many cooks spoil the broth.

Any attempt at doing this would require lots of editing, to keep up with the quality of the previous chapters, or to prevent plotholes or continuity errors. Also, different authors have different opinions on how the story should progress, both within the chapter (e.g. when following your guideline) and the story as a whole. For example, one author, who writes scene 3, may want to push Naruto and Hinata closer together, trying to finally get them in a romantic relationship *coughmecough*, while another, who writes scene 4, wants them to keep their close friendship how it is for now. This would lead to discrepancies between scenes in how characters interact, which will propably just confuse the reader.

Also, it could screw up any plans the Evil Authorlord has for the story and its progression. And I don't think that is something any of us want, right?

As my final argument against it, look at DCs Countdown to Final Crisis.

PS: What could be done is start a new story, have one author write the first chapter, and then another writes the second, following some set guidelines. Afterwards, the two (and any additional writers) keep circling around writing chapters. I've seen this once with a Digimon fanfic, and that one worked fairly well. But even this shouldn't be done with an already established story like team 8.
guyfonderball

Unread postby jgkitarel » May 4th, 2012, 12:03 pm

Something like Tales from Konoha: A Perspective on Team 8?
Also, I have to punch you, jgkitarel, because I spent a lot of time on the nanoha wiki trying to locate information on mages being trained due to being above a certain rank, only to remember and confirm that you were the one that came up with that. - Phht
Don't forget: Mass Effect is powered by magic space rocks. Evangelion is powered by Your Mom.
From his new fic Long Night of the Harvest

My current project on FFN, Mystic Knight Online
jgkitarel

Unread postby Nitramy » May 4th, 2012, 2:15 pm

I mean, since the main story is stalled, the Evil Authorlord could appoint his minions to write filler.

Let's not kid ourselves about it, it's filler and it needs to be written. Maybe enough needs to be made to flesh out the details of the Team 8 world.

A lot of stuff has been glossed over, and we can tide over the readers in the meantime until the story can continue.
Nitramy

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » May 6th, 2012, 10:45 am

Mainly because there will be people that take what is written as canon for Team 8, even if it isn't; just like with the anime. Also, I consider myself a pretty fair writer, and I know that I can't get the same sort of impact out of the cast that the Authorlord can. So I'm not going to undermine the story by trying.
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby Nitramy » May 6th, 2012, 7:16 pm

Or we could hold a writing contest, where the best entries get added to a side-story compilation.

We've got a lot of creative muscle here, and we need to flex it. :)
Nitramy

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » May 6th, 2012, 11:08 pm

Yes, but we're not all flexing the same kind of muscle. My forte is fight scenes and snark. I can't write decent drama to save my soul, and romance? Yeah, not happening. I can't replicate Matt's style, and I'm not going to kill myself trying. I honestly don't think that any of the other forumites can either. We've all got our specialties here. So it's like a bicep trying to do the heart's job. It simply won't work.
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby gman391 » May 6th, 2012, 11:43 pm

Keep in mind that some of us are flexing our muscles with our own much much more inferior work too.
"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby viridian » May 7th, 2012, 12:37 am

I will, however, keep doing the Omake contests if someone comes up with a "missing scene" they would like to see filled in. Usually a single scene is doable, as it will often be of a single 'theme' like TK mentioned. We've had some really cracking good entries in the past, so if an opportunity comes up again, I'll be all for it.
-
Viridian
viridian
Site Admin

Unread postby Otakkun » May 9th, 2012, 5:17 pm

I ... I ... I just want more chapters :joe:
Otakkun

Unread postby Nitramy » May 11th, 2012, 5:00 am

@Evil Authorlord:

Thanks for clearing that up.