Team 8 - Chapter 22 Discussion Thread

Re: Team 8 - Chapter 22 Discussion Thread

Unread postby jgkitarel » December 18th, 2013, 5:57 pm

From what I've heard, that's how most types of nerve gas and snake venom work. (As far as nerve gas goes, I'm pretty sure you'll still get messed up even if you get the antidote, just not nearly as much as either one by itself.).
Antidotes to poisons are generally toxic themselves in quantities above the LD50. Depending on the antidote and poison used, the effects are either neutralization through combining, bringing symptoms which counter the symptoms of the toxin (Atropine in regards to VX works this way) or flushing/forcing the toxin out (emetics and such).
Also, I have to punch you, jgkitarel, because I spent a lot of time on the nanoha wiki trying to locate information on mages being trained due to being above a certain rank, only to remember and confirm that you were the one that came up with that. - Phht
Don't forget: Mass Effect is powered by magic space rocks. Evangelion is powered by Your Mom.
From his new fic Long Night of the Harvest

My current project on FFN, Mystic Knight Online
jgkitarel

Unread postby Greatlimmick » December 23rd, 2013, 5:01 pm

Isn't everything toxic in doses above LD50? I mean, isn't that what LD50 means?
Greatlimmick

Unread postby FullofSeoul » December 23rd, 2013, 6:02 pm

Well, actually yeah. LD50 stands for the Median Lethal Dose, or the amount of substance needed to kill off 50% of a population. It basically measures the toxidity of a substance.

Fun fact: Water actually has a LD50, who knew?

But antidotes for Snake Venom and say, Nerve Gas, are different. While antidotes for Snake Venom are usually mostly derived from the venom itself, almost like a vaccine (I'm not completely sure on the details, but basically if you use to much of the antidote, you'll just make things worse), but Nerve Gas antidote is a whole other substance.

The antidote for Nerve Gas, Atropine, counteracts the damage that Nerve Gas does, which is basically block the enzyme that help nerve signals travel (duh), but when used in too large doses, it solves your nerve problem but it actually has negative effects on the brain itself, not the nerves.
There is another antidote, called Pralidoxime chloride, that isn't toxic, but just reactivates the poisoned enzyme and makes them work again. It's slow though, so more unpopular, even though it's safer.

Sources: Wikipedia. HA, did you actually think I knew all this stuff? :dark_mood: :XD:

But hopefully, Hinata doesn't use poisons. I just think it would be so un-Hinata, you know?
FullofSeoul

Unread postby Wraith5 » December 23rd, 2013, 6:14 pm

But hopefully, Hinata doesn't use poisons. I just think it would be so un-Hinata, you know?
Agreed, poisons would be quite un-Hinata, but I could see her using something like a minor paralytic in extenuating circumstances...
"Boss, why is it that you always say 'I've got a plan' like a terrorist says 'I've got a bomb'?" - Garrus Vakarian in Razor's Edge: Requiem (a Mass Effect fan-fic)
"Sometimes I stop to think and forget to start again." - t-shirt
"I don't understand, but I disagree." - my older sister misquoting my younger brother ("I understand, but...")
"Come to the Darkside; We have bacon." - t-shirt
Wraith5

Unread postby rbear1231 » December 1st, 2014, 4:12 am

i just finished eading team 8 for the first time, and i do enjoy it. not many authors can get me to read naruto.

now i will say this, i am upset there teacher died, but i was wondering why the relationship with Asuma was not being pursued,

her back story makes more scene but with all the papers and notes she left around for naruto, 2 things come to mind. ether she is not dead and she is doing deep undercover long term infomation gathering(not likely) or she had permanition that her life was coming to an end.

I must be the only one that will miss Gamabuta. i liked the toad. I remeber when Gama actually worked with narutoe simply because naruto defended his kids.

i could see the old toad taking offence to Hiashi's mistreatment of his only child.

for once i dont think Kakashi is a dick, yes i said that, i feel 90% of narutos problems after he left the acadamy were cause kakashi didn't train him right. (which is the reason i started reading this story.
when he and asuma defended the kids and 'suggested' hiashi stay put and shut the hell up. my respect for him went up.

the idea that Hinata will get the speacil training that sakura got....just thinking how the extra power could help her dead with her father :confident:

to bad jairya messed it up, taking nauto away not will make hinata disobey the Hokage. "continue your training as you have' i like shino he is cool but it was naruto that was able to push Hinata to this grand level.

i am going to miss the old toad. i am sure that the toads would not have eaten the Kiki bugs if asked politly, not when they are allies.
rbear1231

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » December 2nd, 2014, 3:22 am

The letters and other preparations are a concept called "dead mail" where if you die suddenly and unexpectedly, information is released that's going to make things very hard for your enemies, on the off chance that one of them was the one who got you killed.
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby Zelenal » December 7th, 2014, 12:44 am

Yeah, the letters are just Kurenai possessing foresight. She knew that she had enemies who would love to see her dead and would kill her in an instant if she made a single mistake. She knew that she could easily die on any given mission. She knew that the information she had could be beneficial to Naruto. Ergo, leaving him that letter was the logical thing to do.

Shino would approve.
Zelenal

Return to “%s” Team 8