Team 8 - Chapter 22 Discussion Thread

Re: Team 8 - Chapter 22 Discussion Thread

Unread postby Kitty-Chan » September 8th, 2013, 4:43 pm

If you haven't got much left, how are you lucid enough to post in this threads?

...And did we derail this thing again? Man, there aren't much people discussing things about the new chapter, are there?
Dude, losing your sanity doesn't mean you can no longer sound lucid. Look at this forum! :XD:
Kitty-Chan

Unread postby Dechstreme » September 8th, 2013, 5:21 pm

You mean we are insane? :burnt:
Dechstreme

Yahoo Messenger: dechstreme@yahoo.com

Unread postby Kitty-Chan » September 8th, 2013, 5:26 pm

You're just now figuring this out? :biggrin:
Kitty-Chan

Unread postby Wraith5 » September 8th, 2013, 6:30 pm

You're just now figuring this out? :biggrin:
DAMMIT! Someone beat me to it...:TT_TT:
As far as insanity goes, I've seen many sources (usually characters portrayed as literally insane) who just say you see reality for what it really is (or something like that). I've also seen a demotivational pic captioned "Schizophrenia. In a battle of wits, I dual wield." (I realize that's a bit different from insanity, but it still applies.)
"Boss, why is it that you always say 'I've got a plan' like a terrorist says 'I've got a bomb'?" - Garrus Vakarian in Razor's Edge: Requiem (a Mass Effect fan-fic)
"Sometimes I stop to think and forget to start again." - t-shirt
"I don't understand, but I disagree." - my older sister misquoting my younger brother ("I understand, but...")
"Come to the Darkside; We have bacon." - t-shirt
Wraith5

Unread postby Dechstreme » September 8th, 2013, 7:38 pm

This all brings to mind a quote from The Tick. Anyone want to hear it?
Dechstreme

Unread postby jgkitarel » September 8th, 2013, 11:55 pm

Sure, go ahead. I think I know the one you're mentioning. And it makes me realize that I'm getting older.
Also, I have to punch you, jgkitarel, because I spent a lot of time on the nanoha wiki trying to locate information on mages being trained due to being above a certain rank, only to remember and confirm that you were the one that came up with that. - Phht
Don't forget: Mass Effect is powered by magic space rocks. Evangelion is powered by Your Mom.
From his new fic Long Night of the Harvest

My current project on FFN, Mystic Knight Online
jgkitarel

Unread postby Dechstreme » September 9th, 2013, 5:49 pm

"Sanity is a one-trick pony: Rational Thinking. But when you're good and crazy, the sky's the limit!"
-The Tick
Dechstreme

Unread postby doc.exe » September 9th, 2013, 8:07 pm

I was under the impression that you had to leave most of your sanity on the door to post here. :-?

Started re-reading the fanfic since the beginning although I have not finished the first chapter yet. But I have to ask: Is the trademark snark™ the gag you were alluding in your author notes?
"No te tomes la vida demasiado en serio, al fin y al cabo no saldrás vivo de ella." Les Luthiers

"There are two essential rules to management. One, the customer is always right; and two, they must be punished for their arrogance." Dogbert
doc.exe

Unread postby Dechstreme » September 10th, 2013, 4:34 pm

There is a door? :bouaaaaah:
Dechstreme

Unread postby jgkitarel » September 10th, 2013, 5:21 pm

It's a revolving one, be sure not to slam it when coming in or out.
Also, I have to punch you, jgkitarel, because I spent a lot of time on the nanoha wiki trying to locate information on mages being trained due to being above a certain rank, only to remember and confirm that you were the one that came up with that. - Phht
Don't forget: Mass Effect is powered by magic space rocks. Evangelion is powered by Your Mom.

jgkitarel

Unread postby WarriorDrgnMage » September 11th, 2013, 2:04 am

It's a revolving one, be sure not to slam it when coming in or out.
I'm sure I could figure out a way to slam it if givien enough time :psychotic:
WarriorDrgnMage

AOL: WarriorDrgnMage

Unread postby Wraith5 » September 11th, 2013, 6:25 am

That's easy. Stick something through the entrance/exit so it sticks out, then spin it HARD. Seriously. It's easy.
"Boss, why is it that you always say 'I've got a plan' like a terrorist says 'I've got a bomb'?" - Garrus Vakarian in Razor's Edge: Requiem (a Mass Effect fan-fic)
"I don't understand, but I disagree." - my older sister misquoting my younger brother ("I understand, but...")
Wraith5

Unread postby viridian » September 11th, 2013, 9:47 am

The long-planned gag was Iruka's Secret. :nose_bleed:
-
Viridian
viridian
Site Admin

Unread postby Wraith5 » September 11th, 2013, 11:32 am

The long-planned gag was Iruka's Secret. :nose_bleed:
I was wrong? Darn... oh well. (Must... refrain... from screaming... for... next... chapter... < only half kidding there, at best.)
Wraith5

Unread postby jgkitarel » September 11th, 2013, 6:57 pm

That's easy. Stick something through the entrance/exit so it sticks out, then spin it HARD. Seriously. It's easy.
Sorry, but forum policy means that the entryway must be clear of all obstacles beforehand, and people enter or leave one at a time, or the door won't work. We established that to keep the Ree from getting out on their C'thullu mounts. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go to the spare Shinji locker and grab a few.

*hears something in the vents*

Hmm, gonna have to set more cloned after this.

jgkitarel

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » September 11th, 2013, 7:02 pm

Okay gents, please take it to the thread in General Discussion if you're not going to actually discuss the fic here please.
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby jgkitarel » September 11th, 2013, 7:22 pm

Sorry, got a little carried away there.

jgkitarel

Unread postby macdjord » September 11th, 2013, 11:42 pm

When you mention that, I'm sort of worried that Team 8 is going to get a Trope Overload again. I really don't want to see that happen again. Same happened for People Lie, Chunin Exam Day, and There and Back Again. It's really annoying when popular fics get that surge of people trying to claw up every trope and exaggerate as much as they can.
Okay, I've read People Lie and Chunin Exam day, but I've never heard of There and Back Again*. Link?
* Well, I've read The Hobbit, A.K.A. There and Back Again, but no fanfic of that name.

I thought it was foreshadowed pretty blatantly beforehand that Mattai was a bastard Hyuuga & the clan had him offed.
Not really. We knew that he was related to the Hyuuga, and it was obvious that Hiashi had him killed (or at least that Kurenai thought so - and wouldn't that be a twist if she was wrong all along?). But there was never much to go on about why - my working theory was that he was a Branch Member who acted too un-Hyuuga-like in public; Kurenai describes him early on as 'the only member of that family not to act stuck-up'.
macdjord

Unread postby Dechstreme » September 12th, 2013, 5:50 pm

I think it was mentioned in another thread that Mattai was never a Hyuuga, to be honest. Still, the chapters left us with a lot of questions. We know what Kurenai suspects now, and we know how her team was killed off... but we still don't know if it was Hiashi using the resources available to him through his co-conspirators in the village just to kill Mattai and keep the Byakugan from spreading outside the clan, or if there was something more to Mattai's death aside from pure spite being the cause.

We also still don't know for certain what the conspiracy in the village is after, if there are any clear links with Akatsuki, if it's because of Akatsuki that it exists, or even their long term goals. We just know that the jerks are there, they are nasty, and they are hard to get rid of.
Dechstreme

Unread postby Kitty-Chan » September 13th, 2013, 3:30 pm

I thought it was foreshadowed pretty blatantly beforehand that Mattai was a bastard Hyuuga & the clan had him offed.
Not really. We knew that he was related to the Hyuuga, and it was obvious that Hiashi had him killed (or at least that Kurenai thought so - and wouldn't that be a twist if she was wrong all along?). But there was never much to go on about why - my working theory was that he was a Branch Member who acted too un-Hyuuga-like in public; Kurenai describes him early on as 'the only member of that family not to act stuck-up'.
She commented at one point how tan his skin was compared to the rest of the clan, if I remember right. That gave it away for me.
Kitty-Chan

Unread postby FFBandit » September 14th, 2013, 2:18 am

Once again an excellent chapter from our author who can make grown men skip with joy when a new post is up.
I have to say that you made a chapter that from any other writer would just be annoying filler and gave us something thought provoking and progressed the entire plot in more ways than we mere mortals can grasp.

I have just had one horrible thought for where the Diversion may have occurred; not long before the death of mattai we have the Hyuga kidnapping incident and Hiashi gives up his twin brothers life to cloud. But given that the Hyuga clan head in this tale does not match cannon we get...
An evil Twin!
Hizashi manages to over power his brother sends his body off and secretly takes over as head of the family. And running with the evil twin idea we could even postulate the source of some certain wild oats and extra-familial genetic traits.
Not that I think my crazy brain is any where near the mark for such a well constructed story but its just stuck up there. :dizzy:
FFBandit

Unread postby jgkitarel » September 14th, 2013, 10:38 am

Considering that he was born outside the clan and is not a stranger to outside labor, the tanned skin would make some sense.

jgkitarel

Unread postby Wraith5 » September 14th, 2013, 11:58 am

Considering that he was born outside the clan and is not a stranger to outside labor, the tanned skin would make some sense.
Crud. Someone beat me to it. Thought of that earlier, never got around to posting. *facepalm*
Also, I just remembered. During the Search for Tsunade sequence, it was mentioned that Hinata could've passed for a farmer's daughter... foreshadowing (uhh... "back"shadowing :wut: ...?) maybe?
In any event, I'm sticking with my theory that there was a Hyuuga who never manifested the Byakugan, got kicked out of the clan, then one of his/her descendants (Mattai) manifested it.
Wraith5

Unread postby Dechstreme » September 14th, 2013, 4:33 pm

The whole farmer's daughter thing had nothing to do with hinting anything regarding Mattai. The comment was in regards to Hinata's physique rather than her skin color like with Mattai. They are two unrelated things, really.
Dechstreme

Unread postby Wraith5 » September 14th, 2013, 5:33 pm

I know, but I've seen some VERY obscure foreshadowing in some of my favorite fics. Plus, this is all speculation already, right? :whistle:
Wraith5

Return to “%s” Team 8