Character Concept Sketch

Character Concept Sketch

Unread postby DatSuKid » December 29th, 2008, 1:13 am

I started reading OotD:aJT earlier today and was a bit disturbed at the resemblance Hikaru bears with Orochimaru. I couldn't formulate an image of Orochimaru even remotely appealing [even as a young boy] so I took the liberty of constructing an image to assuage this annoyance. I am not an artist, nor do I wish to aspire to be one, but something told me I had to get this out.

I still am not 100% satisfied with this Hikaru, but I might as well share him now. Asuka is a freebie, not much work on her, so she looks pretty generic.

Feedback/Cons. Crit. is welcome.

This story rocks, by the by.
DatSuKid

Re: Character Concept Sketch

Unread postby viridian » December 29th, 2008, 6:37 am

I like it! And that's not too bad for Asuka. Though somewhat sad, she has her chipper moments.

Hikaru almost never smiles though. Although if he made chuunin... by that time people might have gotten him to lighten up a bit.

Wait a minute, what am I saying?

More exposure to stupidity would probably make the scowl permanent... :mrgreen:
-
Viridian
viridian
Site Admin

Unread postby DatSuKid » December 29th, 2008, 8:08 pm

Thank you very much sir. :aww:
I'll be sure to get their expressions right next time. It's out of subconscious preference that I enjoy characters with smiling faces.
Are there any other suggestions you could give me to improve them (clothing, special facial features)?

And of course since they're Genin now, I should get their forehead protectors on.
That aside, I don't have much to work with, with the story being so short. :P
Please continue, I'll show support by buying Star Sons: Dawn of the Two from your site.

Thank you so much [again] for responding. ^_^
DatSuKid

Unread postby Psalm Of Fire » December 30th, 2008, 2:14 am

Ah man, I had, like, a 5 month "most recent post" record on this section. Jk :moon

Nice work man, I look forward to your second draft! Please be detailed viridian, I've considered playing around with some art for them too.
"That didn't make me cry. I'm just shedding manly tears over something completely unrelated and super masculine. Like an explosion. An exploding robot. An exploding robot that's on fire. DON'T LOOK AT ME!"
-Farmer10
Psalm Of Fire

Unread postby unknown369 » December 30th, 2008, 12:42 pm

and now you have the most recent post aga-

oops :oops: guess I have the most recent post now :D

But anyway, those pictures look really cool.
unknown369

Unread postby ewuvi » December 30th, 2008, 7:05 pm

Hmmmm, I've been doodling a Hikaru or two as well, something about studying snakes gets boring, and Hikaru gets confused for snake-man, so uhm...it works dammit!
ewuvi

Unread postby tjchaos » December 30th, 2008, 8:40 pm

Hmmmm, I've been doodling a Hikaru or two as well, something about studying snakes gets boring, and Hikaru gets confused for snake-man, so uhm...it works dammit!
Maybe we should use this thread as an OotD art thread. I've got an 'Uzumaki Clan' sketch inspired by chapter 4.
tjchaos

Unread postby Psalm Of Fire » December 31st, 2008, 7:41 am

Post it!
"That didn't make me cry. I'm just shedding manly tears over something completely unrelated and super masculine. Like an explosion. An exploding robot. An exploding robot that's on fire. DON'T LOOK AT ME!"
-Farmer10
Psalm Of Fire

Unread postby tjchaos » January 3rd, 2009, 2:19 pm

Post it!
Took longer than I thought to straighten out a few things but here it is:

Re-reading OotD though I'd have to say that I got the heights wrong. Although Asuka is described as being pretty short I think she'd be closer to Naruto and that Hikaru is probably a little taller than Naruto in the story.

My apologies to DatSuKid for jumping into this thread like this, seems a bit presumptuous.
tjchaos

Unread postby viridian » January 3rd, 2009, 3:30 pm

I like it! You're right that Hikaru is a little taller and thinner than Naruto, but yeah, Asuka is pretty short. (She's also years younger, too, which contributes to the disparity.) I've also pictured Hikaru as having a narrower face, as well. It's part of his "unfortunate resemblance" to a certain nutcase...
-
Viridian
viridian
Site Admin

Unread postby tjchaos » January 3rd, 2009, 4:06 pm

Now if only I could find and complete that 'Team 8' sketch I was working on months ago. :oops:
tjchaos

Unread postby DatSuKid » January 3rd, 2009, 10:55 pm

My apologies to DatSuKid for jumping into this thread like this, seems a bit presumptuous.

Heh, no need for apologies, everything is welcome. I thank you for giving me more ideas.

Now, if Mr. Schocke would be as kind as to give us more details to work with, I can get started on my second draft (this one hopefully in color).
DatSuKid

Unread postby Psalm Of Fire » January 4th, 2009, 9:48 pm

Cool Symbol Alterations!

Yeah, viridian, who is Asuka most like in canon? I'm thinking of starting with a sketch of Orochimaru and altering it into Hikaru, and maybe the same would work with Asuka, hmm? How high does Asuke come up to on Naruto? She's got a pretty narrow face too, right?
-Farmer10
Psalm Of Fire

Unread postby viridian » January 5th, 2009, 1:06 am

Hmmm... Hikaru has dark green hair (mistaken for black in dim light), Asuka's is fiery red. Her eyes are a brilliant green (emeralds under a spotlight) while his are a dark green (mossy green stones in a forest stream).

Hikaru's face is rather thin, but Asuka's is still round-ish with a little baby fat remaining. Also, Asuka's hair is shorter than Hikaru's, and all of his is gathered in a pony-tail at the back. (Think Duncan MacLeod from the Highlander TV show.)
We’d even gone out of our way to make ourselves presentable. We were wearing our new clothes, black long-sleeved shirt and pants for me, with a dark green tunic belted on over that, and dark red shorts and tunic for Asuka. She wanted freedom of movement for taijutsu, but while my shirt and pants were cut loose, they also covered as much of my unusually pale skin as possible.
-
Viridian
viridian
Site Admin

Unread postby Psalm Of Fire » January 5th, 2009, 7:17 pm

Ooo! Good descriptions, epically for the eyes.

Any particular scene or pose? Expressions?
-Farmer10
Psalm Of Fire

Unread postby tjchaos » January 5th, 2009, 8:20 pm

Any particular scene or pose? Expressions?
Hikaru and Asuka's first encounter with Anko would be high on my list.
tjchaos

Unread postby MrRigger2 » January 5th, 2009, 8:26 pm

I don't know. Maybe just a scene of Naruto, Hikaru, and Asuka eating at Ichiraku's, or sitting around the apartment. Asuka could be showing Naruto one of her fire jutsu, so something like a fireball hovering over her hand, Naruto looking on excitedly, and Hikaru sitting at the table working on a batch of exploding tags for Iruka, with a bag of rice sitting over in the corner.

MrRigger
In engineering, the work is only done when there is nothing left to add. In writing, the work is only done when there is nothing left to take away.

Check out Between Magic and Mount Justice
MrRigger2

Unread postby Psalm Of Fire » January 6th, 2009, 12:05 am

Both excellent suggestions.

Ooo, the lightwork on that last one could be insanely hard... makes me want to try it.
-Farmer10
Psalm Of Fire

Unread postby Jamey » January 6th, 2009, 12:10 am

You know, it strikes me - I kinda hope Hikaru's teacher was named Sai. (And if he imprisoned the 5-Tailed Bijuu, that'd just make it so much better!)
Jamey

Unread postby MorphCross » May 11th, 2009, 6:19 pm

Whilst hunting down the Team 8 fanart on dA I came across a piece of fanart for OotD.

Linkage!
MorphCross

Unread postby Wittgen » May 11th, 2009, 10:26 pm

That pretty excellent, besides the katakana error. "Fukaru" for the win!
Wittgen

Unread postby jgkitarel » May 13th, 2009, 1:55 am

That's a nice piece. I wonder if someone will do a piece with the entire team one of these days.

I can't draw to save my life, unfortunately.
Also, I have to punch you, jgkitarel, because I spent a lot of time on the nanoha wiki trying to locate information on mages being trained due to being above a certain rank, only to remember and confirm that you were the one that came up with that. - Phht
Don't forget: Mass Effect is powered by magic space rocks. Evangelion is powered by Your Mom.
From his new fic Long Night of the Harvest

My current project on FFN, Mystic Knight Online
jgkitarel

Unread postby viridian » May 16th, 2009, 2:23 am

I can't draw worth a darn either. You know how high school art classes are... usually if you are really trying, the teacher will give you a break. Well, I got a D- in drawing... I'm just glad I got an A in photography to save my grade.

And I have an *extremely* visual imagination.

I can see my characters and action scenes quite clearly. And I can't draw them to save my soul. And it drives me utterly crazy.

So when I see something like this, where someone who DOES have the talent brings my dreams to life, it makes me COMPLETELY giddy. Seriously, this made my day, and it does look pretty much how I describe Hikaru. (Maybe more snakiness in the eyes, but it's a small detail at a distance here...)

Great job!
-
Viridian
viridian
Site Admin

Unread postby Phht » May 16th, 2009, 4:16 am

And I have an *extremely* visual imagination.

I can see my characters and action scenes quite clearly. And I can't draw them to save my soul. And it drives me utterly crazy.
I have this issue with writing. I'm often unhappy with trying to write because it just doesn't seem to be written down how I'm seeing it in my head. And why put out something that's like Uwe Boll quality written down against the James Cameron quality that's in your head.

I need to invent (and patent) a device that records your imaginings in an a/v format. That'd solve my problem. Of course, then we'd end up with the a/v version of fanfiction and would likely end up with the same level of quality. And it'd probably eat hard drive space like a starving man. Then in the end I'd probably end up sued into poverty by Big Business for enabling copyright/whatever infringment. OR become insanely rich as Hollywood switches to using that instead of having to pay actors and film crews. :leaving:
"BTW, Phht your ability to think of a plot bunny about any situation impresses me, amuses me and horrifies me. All at the same time. Good for you!" - doc.exe
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Naruto RP: Higure Yuuhi (Sp Jonin, age 20, Konoha)
RP Atlas - Naruto RP wiki
Phht

Unread postby unknown6576 » October 29th, 2009, 6:59 am

Ah ah ah... Since I'm new around, I hope not to make offence at making this post. I have a drawing of Hikaru and Asuka according to how I think they looked like... Was it okay for me to post a link to the drawing itself? Since the OP seems to be quite accepting...?
unknown6576

Return to “%s” Out of the Darkness: A Jinchuuriki's Tale