Asuka...

Re: Asuka...

Unread postby Psalm Of Fire » January 7th, 2009, 6:57 pm

Yep, that explains it. I'm glad to hear the details, really. Knew there had to be some more thinking behind it. ...and, of course, it proved to be a lot more sensical than my own. Seems I need to bust out some more psychology books - and live a little longer.
"That didn't make me cry. I'm just shedding manly tears over something completely unrelated and super masculine. Like an explosion. An exploding robot. An exploding robot that's on fire. DON'T LOOK AT ME!"
-Farmer10
Psalm Of Fire

Unread postby DatSuKid » January 8th, 2009, 12:11 am

Quick Digression:
If we are sitting around debating what happened to Asuka, with the author of the story participating, how may we determine the "actual course of events?"
After all, this is but fiction, but under whose power is truth determined?
Obviously Mr. Schocke is the most qualified as he wrote the story... but does fiction take upon a life of its own and leave it to the readers to be interpreted?

Philosophically, may we say "to each his own"--reality?

The reason for my questioning of the nature of fiction is that I did not interpret the assault on Asuka as rape. I thought of it more as just tattered clothes as a result of trying to escape (or she killed him before he tried anything).

Personally, I try to surround myself with sunshine, daisies, and happy endings. So my mind has a sort of self-defense mechanism when it comes to touchy issues such as molestation or rape. However, those crimes obviously exist in the real world, and there's not much I can do to prevent those. Subsequently, I assume a humor of heroism and justice, willing the protection of characters of fiction (unusual as it may be, but I need an outlet of some sort). Thus, to me, Asuka, was traumatized, but safe from sexual injury.

Ultimately, what I ask now, is for the truth of the current situation. I do not desire a sugar-coated answer to assuage my insecurities, only the truth, free from bias (with an explanation of its purpose in the story, please).
DatSuKid

Unread postby Psalm Of Fire » January 8th, 2009, 5:02 am

Cool post. Hmm, Didn't he just give that?
"That didn't make me cry. I'm just shedding manly tears over something completely unrelated and super masculine. Like an explosion. An exploding robot. An exploding robot that's on fire. DON'T LOOK AT ME!"
-Farmer10
Psalm Of Fire

Unread postby viridian » January 9th, 2009, 12:12 am

I think we're getting close to calling out "All aboard for the Solipsism Express!"... and discussions of subjective reality can often induce headaches.

But... what is the story's existence to you? It's how you experience it within your own mind. I left things a little vague in that scene so those who might prefer to do so can interpret them differently. Is there an exterior, objective TRUTH? Maybe. But is how I visualize things inherently more 'real' than how the reader visualizes them?

If you want to know how I visualize things when devising Asuka's reactions, then I'll tell you it's the grittier interpretation of those events. But don't think that the author's interpretation is the only valid one. If your version is well-reasoned and internally consistent, then why not?
-
Viridian
viridian
Site Admin

Unread postby DatSuKid » January 9th, 2009, 1:09 am

But don't think that the author's interpretation is the only valid one. If your version is well-reasoned and internally consistent, then why not?
This reminds me of two quotes.
"Man is the only animal that laughs and weeps; for he is the only animal that is struck by the difference between what things are and what they might have been."
-William Hazlitt

"Rather than love, than money, than faith, than fame, than fairness... give me truth."
-Henry David Thoreau [expanded by Christopher McCandless]

To me it seems selfish and adamant to be the one to say "I believe only in this, my own interpretation, and all others are false and wrong." It is probably a result of my own insecurity to be overwhelmed by the grittier interpretation, and being aware of this... I'm not sure how to react accordingly. Should I continue frolicking in sunshine-world and say Asuka just got some scratches, or can I be a bit more mature about this and try to accept the harsher reality? As far as I can tell, these ideas branch off to unknown territory.. and curiosity has claws. :futile:

Ostensibly, effects may result from the "correct" interpretation that differ from personal interpretations. If rape did occur, subsequent effects follow such as trauma, night terrors, inhibited psychological/physical development, etc.; whether these will be apparent remains to be seen. Later on, this could affect the character... with her innocence violated, someone will have to counsel; if later she decides to be involved in a romantic relationship, what adverse responses will stem from the trauma?

This notorious truth-seeking attitude of mine irks me to no end. In my social group I have been dubbed "The Over-Analyst."

However my previously posted request still stands: If the truth is [and I can accept it] that Asuka was raped... what purpose does this serve to the story, or what was it supposed to convey to the reader that I cannot fully grasp?
DatSuKid

Unread postby viridian » January 10th, 2009, 5:04 pm

Speaking of consequences, you might want to re-read the story again with that mindset.
-
Viridian
viridian
Site Admin

Unread postby SLAMU » February 22nd, 2009, 8:27 pm

:futile: I feel like an idiot for missing that. I had thought that her clothes had been damaged in the explosion (concussion damage?). I hadn't thought that there was another element to it.
That explains a lot about the later chapters though.
SLAMU

Unread postby Kitsune_Akatsuki » February 24th, 2009, 7:37 pm

I actually assumed the worst at this:
“Where’s Tetsuo?” one of the shinobi abruptly asked, looking around.

“I don’t know,” another one answered. “Lazy bastard didn’t even help us drag this piece of shit.”

“Idiot!” the first one said, slapping the other on the head. “We’re supposed to be looking for a little girl.”

“Shit!” more than one voice hissed.

The blatant fear in that expletive made my blood run cold as four of the five Shinobi took off running back the way we’d come. Had this Tetsuo creep heard her or something?
But, I assumed I was possibly overreacting, or that it wouldn't get that bad, as I was in a pessimistic mood at the time and knew it.

Of course then I realized there was a lot of trauma for being optimistic....Somehow it didn't freak me out as much as it should've. But then again, I'm the kid in the class whom's favorite line is, "Humanity is going to destroy its self one day through pure stupidity." ...And, no, I do not know why I'm so grim and forbidding.
Kitsune_Akatsuki

Unread postby Darkandus » February 24th, 2009, 8:16 pm

Because you actually have a brain?
Spoiler: show
Darkandus

Unread postby SLAMU » February 24th, 2009, 9:10 pm

That's an easy way to get someone in a bad mood.
Still...
SLAMU

Unread postby Kitsune_Akatsuki » February 24th, 2009, 10:50 pm

Because you actually have a brain?
I suppose that would do it..... And I'm qouting that. It just sounds awesome.

That's an easy way to get someone in a bad mood.
Still...
...Which is why I'm mainly a loner, as my views tend to either scare the crap out of people or make them want to punch me....Or just get away from me as fast a humanly possible. I't actually rather funny when a 'cool' kid tries to talk to me and the first response I make makes them flee....And did that turn into a ramble?
Kitsune_Akatsuki

Unread postby SLAMU » February 25th, 2009, 12:04 am

No, but it does remind me of my school days. I remember staying very quiet, never smiling, and wearing a trenchcoat every day, regardless of weather. I went to a fairly rough school, but no one wanted to start anything with me. I even scared the administarters to ban trenchcoats after I graduated. :rollin:

Wait. Should I be proud of that? :?

Matt, did you name Asuka after the charachter from Neon Genisis Evengelion?
SLAMU

Unread postby jgkitarel » February 27th, 2009, 6:38 pm

[quote="SLAMU"]I even scared the administarters to ban trenchcoats after I graduated. :rollin:

Wait. Should I be proud of that? :?

You should be proud of that.

As for what happened to Asuka, I had interpereted at least attempted rape. I didn't go much beyond that, though I know it happens, and far more ofted than statistics indicate.

Things do make sense though, when put into that context. Aside from the trauma itself, a heavy dose of PTSD is also in the works. Considering that I am in the military, I have seen the latter far more often than I like.

The former as well, unfortunately.
jgkitarel

Unread postby unknown3953 » December 3rd, 2009, 12:18 am

“Are you all right?” I asked. Which was a remarkably stupid question, now that I think about it.

“My stomach hurts,” she whispered as she wrapped her arms around her middle.

I ground my teeth. I hoped he had time to scream really loudly. “Look, can you stay here for a minute? You can, er, get cleaned up if you want to, and I’ll get us some clothes.”

She dully looked down at herself. “He cut my shirt. I liked that shirt.”
Before that I had wondered... but that pretty much cinched it for me.
unknown3953

Unread postby Stormseed » December 3rd, 2009, 12:44 am

I wondered about that, but the rest of my mind told me I really don't want to know.
Stormseed

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » December 3rd, 2009, 12:54 am

There's a reason the Authorlord left that particular bit so vague.
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby Darkandus » December 3rd, 2009, 1:15 am

It's pretty damn obvious but it leaves enough deniability that if someone kickes up a ton of fuss over it he can say it's up to reader interpratation?
Darkandus

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » December 3rd, 2009, 1:19 am

Bingo.
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby Darkandus » December 3rd, 2009, 1:23 am

Ah, plausible deniability. You make the world so much more interesting.
Darkandus

Unread postby viridian » December 3rd, 2009, 5:03 am

Ah, plausible deniability. You make the world so much more interesting.
...and keep my stories from getting removed from ff.net...
-
Viridian
viridian
Site Admin

Unread postby Darkandus » December 3rd, 2009, 5:30 am

Judging from some of the dross I've stumbled upon in that site I would be happy if those rules were actually enforced more often. Better safe than sorry anyway I suppose, it always seems to be the stories that are worth reading that incur the most wrath.
Darkandus

Unread postby viridian » December 3rd, 2009, 5:42 am

Yeah, their enforcement patterns are rather irregular. Bob and Alyx had Sunset over Britain removed for having a page of author notes at the end of a 30+ page chapter.

The admins there are pretty inconsistent - it'd be just my luck that some crank would complain and the ff-net admin who processes the complaint has had a bad day so he decides to erase my entire account. :doh
-
Viridian
viridian
Site Admin

Unread postby Darkandus » December 3rd, 2009, 5:49 am

Yep, and the Admins would probably ignore any complaints about the removal or appeals to have it restored. Such is life, luckily if something like that did happen there are always sites like Fanfiction Authors who aren't run by vindictive idiots. Backups are such a precious thing.
Darkandus

Unread postby Dechstreme » July 2nd, 2011, 1:48 pm

“Are you all right?” I asked. Which was a remarkably stupid question, now that I think about it.

I ground my teeth. I hoped he had time to scream really loudly. “Look, can you stay here for a minute? You can, er, get cleaned up if you want to, and I’ll get us some clothes.”

... I have no words to define the shock...
Dechstreme

Yahoo Messenger: dechstreme@yahoo.com

Unread postby Zankaru Zelladonii » July 2nd, 2011, 4:50 pm

... I have no words to define the shock...
I, too, am speechless.
"Machiavelli was wrong, it is better to be loved than feared. It is harder to get people to love you, but those bonds are that much harder to break."
I'm a Princeps, the #1 of a Titan, the crazy bastard who wears an angry house to work. - Tomas, Princeps of Warhound Titan Invictorus

~*~ Ultimate Viridian Dream's Fanfic Recommendation List ~*~
Zankaru Zelladonii

Return to “%s” Out of the Darkness: A Jinchuuriki's Tale