Asuka...

Asuka...

Unread postby viridian » January 5th, 2009, 8:45 pm

A comment someone made a while back got me wondering.

How did people interpret what happened to Asuka in the first chapter?
-
Viridian
viridian
Site Admin

Re: Asuka...

Unread postby MorphCross » January 5th, 2009, 8:49 pm

Somewhat disturbed by it but I'm sure that is what you were going for.

I went with the assumption that the loss of clothing occured before she baked her attacker rather than as a side effect of explosion. Whether it went further than that is hard to say.

Edit: Regardless, I'm with Hikaru in sharing the opinion that the Iwa Jounin got what he deserved. There are some lines that shouldn't be crossed. Though it makes me wonder about the leacherous Chuunin guard in chapter 19 of Team 8. I really have my doubts that Sarutobi would appreciate that behavior in his ninja. Oh well, can't keep an eye on all your people all the time.
MorphCross

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » January 5th, 2009, 9:39 pm

I'm honestly hoping that what happened was the Jounin pawed at her, breaking through her shock and causing her to realize what he intended to do to her, leading to the inferno. Traumatizing, yes, but not as bad as the ... other, scenario.
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby ewuvi » January 5th, 2009, 9:43 pm

Yeah, I was under the strong impression that she was getting molested. And then she got revenge on the bastard(s).

HEAR THAT YOU MOLESTING BASTARDS! YOU GET BLOWN UP!....in fanfiction...sigh....
ewuvi

Unread postby tjchaos » January 5th, 2009, 9:47 pm

I don't know, she's like 11 or something and small as well so she probably looks like she's 9 or 10 if she's lucky. While it could have been something sexual it could have easily been that the guy simply tried to kill her. In the context of being raised to be a ninja I would imagine that either option and the resulting carnage would have less of an impact on Asuka as it would one someone of similar age in our society.

Just to be safe though, the purchase of a few cases of fire extinguishers and their subsequent installation throughout the apartment by Hikaru and Naruto would be a prudent investment. Perhaps an automatic sprinkler system as well.
tjchaos

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » January 5th, 2009, 9:50 pm

“Idiot!” the first one said, slapping the other on the head. “We’re supposed to be looking for a little girl.”
This is where we get the possible molestation, or even rape from.
Last edited by Tempest Kitsune on January 5th, 2009, 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby tjchaos » January 5th, 2009, 9:58 pm

Something that I've been wondering about Asuka, seeing how kishi-canon had the eight tails in Kumo but Schocke-canon had the eight tails in Iwa, I would think it'd be likely that Asuka holds either the Four or the Five tails. Although there doesn't have to be any relation to kishi-canon, ever since the color chapter spread for Naruto 420 it's something I've wondered about.
tjchaos

Unread postby ewuvi » January 5th, 2009, 9:59 pm

Rape and such isn't a sexual thing. If that was the case why would old ladies get raped? It's violence, with sex as the weapon.

And that color spread was really cool.

Too bad some of those people didn't even canonically exist...
ewuvi

Unread postby tjchaos » January 5th, 2009, 10:03 pm

Yeah but they exist now. I've even used the Seven Tails Jincuuriki in something of an Omake at the end of a recent chapter of one of my own stories.
tjchaos

Unread postby ewuvi » January 5th, 2009, 10:08 pm

Indeed.

That was a fanon hand out.
ewuvi

Unread postby viridian » January 5th, 2009, 10:24 pm

Rape and such isn't a sexual thing. If that was the case why would old ladies get raped? It's violence, with sex as the weapon.

And that color spread was really cool.

Too bad some of those people didn't even canonically exist...
That's kind of just semantics though. If you are using sex as a weapon to hurt someone, the crime is inherently sexualized. That doesn't reflect anything about the victim though - just the perpetrator. After all, the psychological definition of (sexual) fetishism is "the sexual attraction to materials and objects not conventionally viewed as being sexual in nature." (i.e. If some guy has an obsessive attraction to beer mugs, it doesn't mean the beer mug was leading him on.)

The victim-related effects of the sexualization tend to lie with the intial psycho-social trauma, along with the tendency to have nastier long-term effects... which is why most legal jurisdictions in the West treat such crimes a bit differently (and usually harsher).

I suppose I kept things slightly vague on purpose. The original draft was a bit more explicit and my beta thought it was a little... well, it upset them. As things are now, if someone is really bothered by it, they can re-interpret what may or may not have happened in a way that will cause less distress.

I just got a little curious as I re-read over the four completed chapters, and wondered how most of you all interpreted it.
-
Viridian
viridian
Site Admin

Unread postby tjchaos » January 5th, 2009, 10:25 pm

I don't know if those pages would really be considered fanon. Although not really canon they're usually done by Kishimoto or one of his assistants, I thought anyway.
tjchaos

Unread postby MorphCross » January 5th, 2009, 10:29 pm

I thought that ewuvi implied that it was a gimme to the fans for the purpose of fanon?

Edit: I personally thought that the scene in chapter 1 was in good taste however i'm not as bothered when bad things happen to fictional characters.
MorphCross

Unread postby ewuvi » January 5th, 2009, 11:25 pm

Yeah, Morph got what I meant.

Ah thanks Viridian. I don't get to take Psychology until at least a couple of years, and even then I doubt we'll be covering criminal psychology. If I can even shove myself forcefully into the class.

This would also explain some of Asuka's sadness? Also, will this have affects later on, or will you not do that so that the scene may be interpreted multiple ways?
ewuvi

Unread postby Jamey » January 6th, 2009, 12:07 am

I suppose I kept things slightly vague on purpose. The original draft was a bit more explicit and my beta thought it was a little... well, it upset them. As things are now, if someone is really bothered by it, they can re-interpret what may or may not have happened in a way that will cause less distress.

I just got a little curious as I re-read over the four completed chapters, and wondered how most of you all interpreted it.
I interpreted it as things getting just to the point of going south, when the fire flared up.

One thing to think about - if it did go past that point, this might not have been the first time she'd been attacked in this manner - simply the first time she felt safe enough to retaliate and prevent it from happening.
Jamey

Unread postby Psalm Of Fire » January 6th, 2009, 4:33 am

That's a good point.

Eh, not very explicit, but the whole subject is disturbing. I wrote specifically where I had concluded it happening.
Spoiler: show
Yeah, I thought it was like, cloths being forced off, cloths being taken off, hand's just grabbing her (being the final trigger) and then Boom, charcoal. It may have been slightly later... poor girl.
I think you vagueness is a good call.
"That didn't make me cry. I'm just shedding manly tears over something completely unrelated and super masculine. Like an explosion. An exploding robot. An exploding robot that's on fire. DON'T LOOK AT ME!"
-Farmer10
Psalm Of Fire

Unread postby viridian » January 6th, 2009, 5:41 pm

Yeah, Morph got what I meant.

Ah thanks Viridian. I don't get to take Psychology until at least a couple of years, and even then I doubt we'll be covering criminal psychology. If I can even shove myself forcefully into the class.

This would also explain some of Asuka's sadness? Also, will this have affects later on, or will you not do that so that the scene may be interpreted multiple ways?
Most intro psych courses will at least touch on abnormal, clinical, and criminal psychology issues. Even if it makes you a little uncomfortable, I'd reccomend reading up on the subject if you want to write believable villains.

And yes, it will have some major long term effects. Her breakdown when Hikaru was burned is only a pale reflection of this. I'm not that wedded to keeping things ambiguous - I just didn't want to go beyond the bounds of good taste.
-
Viridian
viridian
Site Admin

Unread postby shoootme » January 6th, 2009, 7:48 pm

I'm not that wedded to keeping things ambiguous - I just didn't want to go beyond the bounds of good taste.
something i am grateful for as it makes the fic able to be read again if there is not something really really off putting like a full rape seen or something equally dark and distasteful :puke: .

my interpretation of what happen was the ninja was starting to "have fun" when he got what he deserved and by "have fun" i mean his pants were still on. still it dose make me question Iwakagure laws if they let someone who is none to do stuff like that have potential power over his victims.
“Where’s Tetsuo?” one of the shinobi abruptly asked, looking around.

“I don’t know,” another one answered. “Lazy bastard didn’t even help us drag this piece of shit.”

“Idiot!” the first one said, slapping the other on the head. “We’re supposed to be looking for a little girl.”

“Shit!” more than one voice hissed.

The blatant fear in that expletive made my blood run cold as four of the five Shinobi took off running back the way we’d come. Had this Tetsuo creep heard her or something?
shoootme

Unread postby ewuvi » January 6th, 2009, 11:19 pm

Most intro psych courses will at least touch on abnormal, clinical, and criminal psychology issues. Even if it makes you a little uncomfortable, I'd recommend reading up on the subject if you want to write believable villains.

And yes, it will have some major long term effects. Her breakdown when Hikaru was burned is only a pale reflection of this. I'm not that wedded to keeping things ambiguous - I just didn't want to go beyond the bounds of good taste.
I was actually hoping for some abnormal and criminal psychology stuff, the topic is quite interesting to me, I was considering some career in psychology before I decided that I lose track of time and plot the most when it comes to cooking. Honestly though, who knows?

I'm glad that you won't be glazing over the psychological ramifications of such a thing. I still have problems from when my cousin got a little bit too friendly a few years ago, and it seems as though Asuka endured far worse at a younger age. Of course, you are all Authorlord and stuff, so I didn't think that you'd be anything be excellent with your writing on OotD.

Wow. That was longer than I intended.
ewuvi

Unread postby ShonenHero » January 7th, 2009, 2:31 pm

So wait....Asuka was actually raped? That's awful. :sadangel:
ShonenHero

Yahoo Messenger: chubbs.panbuukin
AOL: canera411

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » January 7th, 2009, 2:36 pm

Yeah. Matt actually let me see what was originally going to be posted... needless to say it was disturbing imagery.
— Captain America

Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby Psalm Of Fire » January 7th, 2009, 5:12 pm

Hmm, Matt, is there a psychological reason as to why she didn't 'boom' before the act was completed, or at least progressed that far? My reasoning was that she had to be pushed over the line, but I see that happening when he starts
stripping and grabbing,
and I currently can't see a reason for her to wait longer except "Dues Angst Machina", and that doesn't really seem your style. If, for plot reasons, you can't fill us in could you give me some assurance that it's not the cheap ploy for synthesizing drama that I see now?
"That didn't make me cry. I'm just shedding manly tears over something completely unrelated and super masculine. Like an explosion. An exploding robot. An exploding robot that's on fire. DON'T LOOK AT ME!"
-Farmer10
Psalm Of Fire

Unread postby ewuvi » January 7th, 2009, 6:03 pm

There was probably a wee bit of shock and fear before she managed to get enough control to actually make the flaming terror.
ewuvi

Unread postby Psalm Of Fire » January 7th, 2009, 6:22 pm

That is a possibility. I imagine hitting freak-out from the start, but I can see that might not be the case. Still, I don't think it would take much at all to take her from shock to explosions. Maybe it's the after effects of this incident, but she's never seemed slow to hit that reaction before. I guess she could have her mind stuck on "never let it get that bad / happen that long again" and that's why she's so volatile, but I just sort of assumed she was from the start. Hmm. Authorlord?
-Farmer10
Psalm Of Fire

Unread postby viridian » January 7th, 2009, 6:53 pm

Ignore the rest of this explanatory post if you find the 'grimmer' interpretation too upsetting.
Well, it was likely the very first time she'd ever called on her Biju like that. And she probably froze a little at first. Would someone that young really understand what was happening at first? (Beyond "he's acting creepy" anyway.) And yes, she's received some basic shinobi training, but she was still sheltered (and perhaps a little spoiled) because of the Tsuchikage's experiment in social engineering.

The 'spiritual entity' in question also likely has a limited understanding of humans and what was happening. One can also assume that it's not terribly happy about being sealed into a human in the first place, so it probably wasn't too eager to help Asuka, especially since she was being raised as the daughter of the Kage that engineered the imprisonment in the first place. However, once it realized that it's prison was being damaged, and might well be killed, it was probably more than eager to ante up all the chakra Asuka could ask for... resulting in her first kills.

And yes, it's one of the exact reasons why she's so volatile now.
-
Viridian
viridian
Site Admin

Return to “%s” Out of the Darkness: A Jinchuuriki's Tale