OOTD Chapter 4 - Tests of All Kinds

Re: OOTD Chapter 4 - Tests of All Kinds

Unread postby Kitsune no Arashi » April 25th, 2008, 5:27 pm

alright, ignoring all of our praise on how great matt is (sorry matt) I have a question for him. you have HP:MOFP all planned out, you have N:T8 all planned out, I think you had HP:TBWC planned out, so: do you have a plan for OOD:AJT?
Kitsune no Arashi

Unread postby viridian » April 26th, 2008, 5:07 am

alright, ignoring all of our praise on how great matt is (sorry matt) I have a question for him. you have HP:MOFP all planned out, you have N:T8 all planned out, I think you had HP:TBWC planned out, so: do you have a plan for OOD:AJT?
I have a very rough plan for OotD:AJT, but it's not as coherent as I'd like. Lots of high points and "MUST INCLUDE ____", but some organization and framework is lacking.
-
Viridian
viridian
Site Admin

Unread postby Zerrat » April 26th, 2008, 5:59 am

I have a very rough plan for OotD:AJT, but it's not as coherent as I'd like. Lots of high points and "MUST INCLUDE ____", but some organization and framework is lacking.
Hey, a rough outline is better than NO outline! At least you won't be asking your reviewers 'hey gaiz, wut shud i rite now?' ;)

Which brings to me to a question, why do people ask that? :roll:

If it ever got to that stage with ANY of your work, though, I think it would cause a riot.
Zerrat

Unread postby viridian » April 26th, 2008, 6:52 am

Yeah, I think that would be the quick kiss o' death.

Just remember there are a lot of kids doing this for the first time, and they don't really know what they're doing. I try to be as diplomatic as possible, because you never know how good they might become with some practice. I'd feel like a complete jerk if I made someone quit trying, no matter how bad they are.
-
Viridian
viridian
Site Admin

Unread postby Zerrat » April 26th, 2008, 7:12 am

Agreed, it is a very steep learning curve, especially on the internet. It's quite a public forum, and some people seem to forget that.

That said, I do find the end result of somebody writing that way to be quite... disjointed. It's probably just me, which is why I outline outline outline. (and when I deviate, I outline that unexpected sub-plot too. God I'm adventurous, huh?)

Though, I do find that the extent to which I outline subsequently kills the story. But at least it keeps an underlying theme and eventual goal to the fic I'm writing. If there's no clear goal in my mind, I can't even start a fic!
Zerrat

Unread postby viridian » April 26th, 2008, 7:27 am

My method could, at best, be described as "a very loose and mess outline".

But - I always know which general direction I am headed in. That's what's really important if you want to avoid writing yourself into a corner.
-
Viridian
viridian
Site Admin

Unread postby Zerrat » April 26th, 2008, 7:33 am

My method could, at best, be described as "a very loose and mess outline".

But - I always know which general direction I am headed in. That's what's really important if you want to avoid writing yourself into a corner.
That method is probably the best way to keep yourself interested and motivated to continue. Myself, I'm just too paranoid about that same problem of writing myself into a corner that I won't let myself just 'flow with it'.

Urk. This discussion would probably have been better in the Writing Workshop! :)
Zerrat

Unread postby viridian » April 26th, 2008, 9:11 am

Probably. You can start a thread on outlining there if you want to explore this further...
-
Viridian
viridian
Site Admin

Unread postby Kitsune no Arashi » April 26th, 2008, 5:41 pm

Probably. You can start a thread on outlining there if you want to explore this further...
I dout it'd help me much ;-/ but i'd still check it out if either of you made the thread.
Kitsune no Arashi

Unread postby viridian » April 26th, 2008, 6:15 pm

Just stay away from the writing philosophy thread. It'll make your head all explodey. :shock:
-
Viridian
viridian
Site Admin

Unread postby Greybane » April 26th, 2008, 6:42 pm

Just stay away from the writing philosophy thread. It'll make your head all explodey.
I tried reading it, and my frontal lobe will never be the same.
Odd that. It actually worked.
Greybane

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » April 26th, 2008, 7:07 pm

That particular thread could become very dangerous to those of us without Masters in Psychology, Spirituality, or a Brittanica Edition thesaurus.
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby viridian » April 26th, 2008, 7:16 pm

I have a masters in Psychology and it still gave me a migraine. I think I'm going to bed early tonight.
-
Viridian
viridian
Site Admin

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » April 26th, 2008, 7:27 pm

:shock:
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby Kitsune no Arashi » April 26th, 2008, 11:56 pm

I have a masters in Psychology and it still gave me a migraine. I think I'm going to bed early tonight.
I love philosophy, it's all opinions and open forum debate is fun. especially with good oponents.
Kitsune no Arashi

Unread postby unknown187 » April 27th, 2008, 1:25 am

I just came away from the agent in place thread with all the speculation on the basis of magic...at 2 in the morning my brain hurts now...I find that happens more on this forum than any other but not necessarily a bad thing; like this story! At first I was a little worried because most OC stories turn to utter crap but after re-reading both NoFP and Team 8 and waiting desperately for a new chapter I decided to tip my toes in OOTD and I've never regretted it. Though upon a re-read a thought occurs to me, one that I'm a little disappointed I didn't catch earlier, exactly how much light did Hikaru have down there? He was five levels underground so there's no chance of sunlight, so I'm going to guess something like torches or weak Katen, yet hikaru seemed mostly fine physically after seeing the sun for the first time he was mentally disoriented but not much else. Shouldn't he be a little like a mole, in respect to his light sensitivity, even with the Hachimata instant recovery's a little odd.
unknown187

Unread postby viridian » April 27th, 2008, 5:10 am

There were quite a few torches and such down in the cell. You don't want to give a seal master and jonin+ ninja too many opportunities to conceal what he is doing.

But yeah, it wasn't quite as bright as day. Good thing Hikaru has nictating membranes on his eyes. (Remember how people freaked out over his 'snake eyes'?) Those saw frequent use when he first emerged from the dungeons, and the interior of the Kage's palace was a helpful transition as well.
-
Viridian
viridian
Site Admin

Unread postby Calinero » January 18th, 2010, 9:33 pm

I agree with everyone else on here talking about the lack of love for Out of the Darkness. I think it's a really good story (as I do for pretty much all the Authorlord's work). There is one thing that gets me though--there's a bit of whiplash reading the Authorlord's writing style, but seeing Naruto on Team 7. I haven't been keeping up with the manga or anime recently, so it almost feels like Team 8 is the natural place for Naruto to be. I like it more than canon in a lot of ways, actually. So, seeing him on Team 7 (or even reading other fanfics where Kurenai isn't awesome) is kind of a strange jolt for me. Does anyone else get that feeling?

I also agree with the Authorlord in the idea that we should try to be gentle with some of the...less polished writers out there on the internet. Sure, a lot of them probably could use some advice, but I'd feel crappy if I knew that I had made someone feel bad about their writing. Besides, I'm not exactly one to throw stones...I have a fanfic or three that I would be embarrassed to show to any of my friends.

edit: wow, sorry for the thread necromancy...did not notice the date on this thread. My bad.
Calinero

Return to “%s” Out of the Darkness: A Jinchuuriki's Tale