Plot Bunnies to a good home (May be rabid)

Re: Plot Bunnies to a good home (May be rabid)

Unread postby TraceReading » August 24th, 2014, 8:26 pm

Spoiler: show
In discussing the peculiar electromagnetic properties of Hogwarts on another forum, I've come across two theories that are actually pretty interesting.

The first comes from the question of why Hogwarts affects electronics so greatly, when we've never heard of any Muggles living near Diagon Alley, the Ministry, or St. Mungo's having any such problems. All are places where magic is both passively and actively being used and by large numbers of people. This would naturally lead one to believe that such places would also have a lot of "magic in the air," to quote Hermione. Why is it, then, that they seem to not have any of the effects of Hogwarts? My theory is that Hogwarts is built on or near a natural wellspring of raw magic. Unlike channeled, purposed magic, raw magical energy is chaotic and interferes with Muggle electronics because of its unpredictable nature. Channeled magic doesn't have this problem, as it makes the magical energy more coherent and, unless specifically made to do so, wouldn't naturally interfere with electronics. This could also explain why such places are comparatively rare, as magical wellsprings make it easier for students to use and manipulate magic; they use less of their own power, and exhaust themselves less often, an ideal learning environment for young mages.

The second comes from why things like ground-penetrating radar can't discover places like the Ministry. Making the whole place Unplottable would help, but it wouldn't help if a group of Muggles were, for example, digging a subway tunnel and accidentally broke into the Ministry. How is this prevented? Places like the Ministry and Diagon Alley are actually contained in large pocket dimensions. I like this one because it turns a mere handwave, "a wizard did it," into a nice bit of Time Lord-esque dimensional engineering.
There was a story like this, where much of the wizarding space was maintained by expansion charms (and a LOT of them), and then one day the magic failed...
See this look? It's terror!
TraceReading

Unread postby RavynousHunter » August 25th, 2014, 4:11 pm

I actually had a similar thought regarding Hogwarts, with an additional part about why the school has all of the moving staircases. The premise is training the students to be able to almost instinctively recognize magic being cast, which is why first year students are always getting lost and turned around while seventh years are able to get where they need to go without any issues.
Here I thought it was to train the students to forget common sense and logic because magic.
Rule #1 of a Good Fantasy Setting: there must be rules.
RavynousHunter

Unread postby jgkitarel » August 26th, 2014, 4:42 am

Magic does have rules. It's more likely that they "hid" everything by careful manipulation of perceptions and a lot of hard work. That and ensuring that building development doesn't happen in magical areas. As for ground penetrating radar not finding anything, oh, it did. The information is just classified so high, God would get a nosebleed.
Also, I have to punch you, jgkitarel, because I spent a lot of time on the nanoha wiki trying to locate information on mages being trained due to being above a certain rank, only to remember and confirm that you were the one that came up with that. - Phht
Don't forget: Mass Effect is powered by magic space rocks. Evangelion is powered by Your Mom.
From his new fic Long Night of the Harvest

My current project on FFN, Mystic Knight Online
jgkitarel

Unread postby Wraith5 » August 26th, 2014, 9:07 am

Hmm... they could've done something like a portal to another location where there's nothing but what appears to be a large warehouse/factory that nobody uses any longer that (for some reason or other) nobody ever gets around to demolishing (Code: Lyoko much? Uhh...). I mean, they've got things like apparating and portkeys, so couldn't they just have something that straight up teleports (my computer apparently doesn't think "teleports" is a word...) you to the warehouse/factory/whatever and back?
"Boss, why is it that you always say 'I've got a plan' like a terrorist says 'I've got a bomb'?" - Garrus Vakarian in Razor's Edge: Requiem (a Mass Effect fan-fic)
"Sometimes I stop to think and forget to start again." - t-shirt
"I don't understand, but I disagree." - my older sister misquoting my younger brother ("I understand, but...")
"Come to the Darkside; We have bacon." - t-shirt
Wraith5

Unread postby MEKristian » August 28th, 2014, 11:09 pm

So, I was thinking, pretty much every crossover takes the form of an epic adventure between two worlds or two groups. For example, Voldemort finds out about other worlds, teams up with Orochimaru, and Harry and Naruto have to stop them, or something similar.

But that doesn't really allow for the characters to just interact with each other. So, I propose a "slice of life" style of crossover: rather than the marvel of two scenarios crossing over and a large threat both sides must take down, Naruto and Luna Lovegood just plan and host a movie night at his apartment. Or they all just go to the same cafe (thanks All-around Type-Moon) and have random antics there. Or whatever other situations one can come up with, I suppose.
MEKristian

AOL: MEKristian

Unread postby Phht » August 28th, 2014, 11:24 pm

So they go grocery shopping... and an epic adventure occurs in the store? ;-) Now I'm imagining Improbable Mission from Whose Line in real life.
"Okay, we've got everything, right?" Harry turned to his friend.

The blonde ninja ticked off items on his fingers. "Hermione's group isn't back yet, but I saw them with their stuff."

"Good, good. ...Where's the two-liter of soda?"

Keitaro came running around the corner. "I'm sorry, but someone grabbed the last one! And it's nearly closing time for stores."

Harry froze, then stood up straight. "... Guys, I know this wasn't what we signed up for when we came here, but-"

"No." Hermione had arrived with her item, which she placed in the cart even as she spoke up. Two girls that had been following her added their items as well.

"But Hermione-"

"No, Harry. We're not getting into an epic adventure over groceries."

"Someone took the last two-liter of soda in the store. Including diet and caffeine-free. And other stores will close before we can get to them."

Her eyes narrowed. "... What's the plan."
Because if they won't go to epic adventure, epic adventure will make the effort to come to them, wherever they may be at the time.
Phht

Unread postby jgkitarel » August 29th, 2014, 2:18 am

Good for humor value. After all, an epic quest for snacks, drinks and goods for a party needs a suitably absurd premise. Either that, or what they get will be suitably epic.
Also, I have to punch you, jgkitarel, because I spent a lot of time on the nanoha wiki trying to locate information on mages being trained due to being above a certain rank, only to remember and confirm that you were the one that came up with that. - Phht
Don't forget: Mass Effect is powered by magic space rocks. Evangelion is powered by Your Mom.

jgkitarel

Unread postby RavynousHunter » August 29th, 2014, 9:04 am

Good for humor value. After all, an epic quest for snacks, drinks and goods for a party needs a suitably absurd premise. Either that, or what they get will be suitably epic.
Epic Snack Quest. Good game title...hrm...
RavynousHunter

Unread postby Phht » September 2nd, 2014, 3:34 am

Spawned by reading Charles Bhepin's Surrogate of Zero. ME3 ending spoilers (if anyone actually cares if ME3 ending-ish is spoiled for them)
It looked out across space. Reapers battled the combined forces of the Council races in Earth orbit. Behind its holographic manifestation sat Commander Shepard, a human that managed to make it all the way to the attached Crucible. A cough from behind it led the AI's hologram to turn around.

"I have one last question before I make my decision. It's been something I've wondered about since finding out what was on the Collector Base." This was not Shepard... was it? Her hair was longer and a more vibrant red. Her damaged armor was replaced by some sort of seamless suit that covered her up to her neck. What were those things in her hair? More importantly, she did not seem in any way injured, let alone near death like it last saw her. Her smile was distinctly... predatory. "What do you know of Instrumentality?"
Basically, Third Impact occurred. Then humanity mostly pulled itself out of the soup as a more ideal version of itself. Current humanity was shaped by a trio of beings known as the Sohryu, the Ayanami, and the Ikari. When a human dies, its soul returns to the soup. When the soul feels like it, it reenters the cycle and is reborn. New souls can be born and will end up in the tang soup on death (The Illusive Man is actually a new soul on its first life time, which would be why he doesn't have even an inkling of the tang ocean's existence). The tang ocean was moved inside Earth and replaced the planet's core (this has absolutely no noticeable effect on anything because humanity gave a collective fuck you to reality via AT Field when it moved the tang ocean). After humanity was reborn into existence, it pushed forward to space exploration, discovered the Prothean ruins on Mars, etc.

Reapers essentially force Instrumentality on species to create new reapers. Turn a person into 'tang' and stick it into a reaper with the attached soul. Rinse and repeat. Of course, given that when a human dies (even by force Instrumentality means), the soul returns to the human tang ocean, Reapers will never get a proper 'monument' to humanity out of the cycle because they're getting no souls. This also means that Asuka can choose not to pick a color, humanity could fight to the last, be "wiped out" along with the other Council races, wait for the Reapers to leave and hibernate, then begin manifesting new bodies and starting a 50,000 year long R&D program to prepare for the next Harvest to begin.

And yes, Commander Shepard is, in fact, Asuka. An Asuka with the ability to tap into the collective AT Field power of humanity tang in order to give reality the finger at opportune moments. Because the three Pilots that fought to defend humanity were the ones the collective will decided should have that power and no one else.
Phht

Unread postby jgkitarel » September 2nd, 2014, 4:48 pm

Hoo boy, the Reaper's don't know what they're messing with here. Heh. Hehehehehehehehe. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... *cough*

Sorry.

Still, wonder if they'll manifest the reality screwing powers of an Eva against the Reapers?

jgkitarel

Unread postby Phht » September 2nd, 2014, 11:43 pm

Imagine Kaworu. Imagine him powered by the collective will/soul of humanity. Now transplant all of that into Asuka. And Rei. And Shinji.

The way I think of it is that Shinji generally represents humanity's desire for peace and conflict avoidance. Rei generally represents humanity's desire to learn and understand. Asuka's the angry fist of humanity. Asuka's still a little annoyed that Rei has a giant form available from Lilith and she doesn't (imagine Rei manifesting in London in Lilith form to battle Reapers).

--

Of course, then I think about it and realize... there's far more important things for humanity to do than that. Like trolling the galaxy.
So make humanity rise up during the Prothean cycle, Second Impact occurs, Third Impact occurs. Protheans find the system, only to see a wrecked planet and a massive primordial soup. So they stick an outpost there to see what might come of the soup, and go on their way. Eventually the outpost is shut down, Reapers arrive, and the Protheans are wiped out. Reapers pass through, see the soup planet, and Earth ends up being a mystery discussed between Reapers during the next 50,000 years because no records could be found by the Reapers to explain what the hell happened there.

Humanity starts pulling itself out of the soup and progressing forward, etc. So they'd get into the relay network early in the new cycle, well before the asari or salarians do. Asari arrive at the Citadel, only to be greeted by three beings similar to them in appearance. Despite the warm greetings, the asari are worried about taking off their pressure suits. One of the three kinda pushes down a liquid-y bulge and says it's nothing to worry about. The trio continue to encourage the group to take off the suits and come on deeper into the station and take a tour. Then the one that had the bulge explodes into orange liquid. The asari decided to decline the tour offer and retreat back to their ship. The remaining two beings step into the elevator wondering what will happen due to their failure, the interior of which gets splattered orange seconds after it starts ascending away from the dock. The asari promptly quarantine the Citadel and don't set foot onto it again. When they meet the salarians, they share the footage as part of the explanation of why they aren't allowing access to the giant station.

When they encounter the krogan, there are stories of a giant humanoid -- similar to the ones the asari encountered, if on a massively different scale -- that occasionally shows up to fight Kalros. Batarians have a story of a humanoid that became a giant 4 eyed creature that defeated a great menace and saved the species (hence the four eyes are superior to two eyes thing). Just about every space faring civilization has at least one story that could likely be linked to these not-asari beings, and enough of the stories are of a prank-ish nature that the unknown beings are regarded as tricksters.

Eventually humanity decides to properly make themselves known to the galaxy. Turians discover a ship adrift near a deactivated relay. When they board it, they only find orange goo splattered everywhere. They quarantine the ship while trying to determine what to do with it. Another human ship appears, going "Ah hah! We're wondering where those guys tried to run off to! Good thing the ship's safe, I'd hate to get into trouble over that being lost." And so humanity presents itself as a species that's controlled by a higher authority that explodes people into orange goo for failure and they just shrug and go "what can you do?"

The Council doesn't really want to flat out deny humanity something when its representatives ask, because they don't want to be responsible for some poor ambassador getting tanged for failure, but they also don't really want humanity to integrate with Council space, out of fear that the masters of the humans might start enslaving and exploding other species into goo for failure. Thereby allowing humanity plenty of space to continue trolling the galaxy.
Phht

Unread postby Wraith5 » September 3rd, 2014, 12:15 am

...I am now both immensely amused and INCREDIBLY disturbed... :that_dood_is_up_to_something:
"Boss, why is it that you always say 'I've got a plan' like a terrorist says 'I've got a bomb'?" - Garrus Vakarian in Razor's Edge: Requiem (a Mass Effect fan-fic)
"Sometimes I stop to think and forget to start again." - t-shirt
"I don't understand, but I disagree." - my older sister misquoting my younger brother ("I understand, but...")
"Come to the Darkside; We have bacon." - t-shirt
Wraith5

Unread postby jgkitarel » September 3rd, 2014, 8:33 am

And that doesn't take into account the mad scientists that know the powers behind humanity very well, who like to make physics their bitch and create crimes against creation FOR SCIENCE!!! Cue Yui Ikari being reconstituted and then introduced to the Salarians, while Ritsuko is on Tuchanka curing the genophage and telling off any Salarian about the amateur job they did.

Except Mordin, who she compliments for doing a good enough job in modifying the genophage to make it look like more than a "piss poor rush job that makes one of Misato's plans look well thought".

Shinji, Asuka and Rei let those two in particular out because if they stay tanged for too long, things get weird inside the collective will of humanity as they get bored.

Now, how should we have some of the ME characters deal with them?

jgkitarel

Unread postby TraceReading » September 23rd, 2014, 8:58 am

So what happens when you expose a portal gun to a confiscation field?
See this look? It's terror!
TraceReading

Unread postby jgkitarel » September 24th, 2014, 5:27 am

The Cubs win the World Series, My Immortal becomes a blockbuster movie and Perfect Lionheart's works become international bestsellers?

jgkitarel

Unread postby EdStargazer » September 25th, 2014, 6:03 am

The Cubs win the World Series, My Immortal becomes a blockbuster movie and Perfect Lionheart's works become international bestsellers?
Ron Weasley becoming polite, humble, eating human portions at dinner and nice to Hermione. [Less likely than any of jgkitarel's]
They are characters we all know, and dislike. They are the reason for the story. The reason the plot moves ahead towards its end. No story of any quality can exist without these most important of characters. They are the reason for heroes to exist.
The antagonist, the 'bad guy'

The Villain

One thing you learn as a hero, that once you reach a certain power or ability level, death is merely an inconvenience

There comes a time when even a magical castle loses its luster, when spells and enchatments fail to thrill, when magic itself becomes ... mundane
EdStargazer

Unread postby jgkitarel » September 26th, 2014, 8:30 am

Ouch.

jgkitarel

Unread postby PencilMonkey » October 10th, 2014, 8:38 am

But that doesn't really allow for the characters to just interact with each other. So, I propose a "slice of life" style of crossover: rather than the marvel of two scenarios crossing over and a large threat both sides must take down, Naruto and Luna Lovegood just plan and host a movie night at his apartment. Or they all just go to the same cafe (thanks All-around Type-Moon) and have random antics there. Or whatever other situations one can come up with, I suppose.
Hmm... Naruto/HP crossover slice-of-life dramas, you say?
Dude, Where's My Thestral?

Rock Lee and Ron Weasley have become fast friends, after Lee decided that Ron's behavior was "most Youthful!", and Ron took it upon himself to teach the poor work-a-holic ninja how to relax and enjoy life a little.

However, after a particularly raucuous night of casual debauchery, they wake up in a pile of Yorkshire pudding with no memory of where they parked the Thestral that Ron flew in on, last night. Hilarity ensues as the not-so-Dynamic duo struggle to retrace their steps and recover the winged steed, encountering an aggressive transgender Potions teacher, paranoid ANBU operatives, and a hippogriff farmer named Pierre. And hey, what are these weird fuinjutsu Seals on our backs, dude?

(Later to be followed by the prequel story Harry and Naruto Go to White Castle, featuring special guest star Neal Patrick Harris, as himself.)
The Dursleys of Konoha

When Harry Potter accidentally inflated his aunt Marjorie, Vernon Dursley wasn't heavy enough to keep her near the ground - in fact, they both ended up floating all the way to Konohagakure. (During the ensuing Ministry investigation, one of the fairies living in the hedgerow outside the home of Arabella Figg later confessed to having sprinkled pixie dust on the pair of airborne Muggles, facilitating their journey to another world, as revenge for Vernon's aggressive privet-trimming.)

After a tumultuous introduction to life in the hidden village, Marge is mistaken for a distant cousin of the Akimichi clan, due to her amazing size-changing ability (although the loss of her beloved dog Ripper leads her to spend many evenings outside the Inuzuka compound, gazing lovingly at their beautiful canine killing machines), whilst Vernon is arrested by the ANBU on suspicion of espionage.

(Ships: Marge/Choza, Vernon/Danzo.)
If you're looking for fan drawings of Harry Potter, Naruto, and plenty more besides, come check out:

My Tumblr

My DeviantArt page
PencilMonkey

Unread postby jgkitarel » October 11th, 2014, 7:50 am

The first one has a lot of potential for crazy hijinks, but the second... Well, Vernon getting some comeuppance would be nice, but honestly, I think Vernon would manage to antagonize too many people and get himself killed. Also, Danzo, being the perennially paranoid and fanatic KONOHA, FUCK YEAH! extremist that he is, well, no he's not likely to bond with Vernon.

Although, despite the less than pleasant introduction to Marge Dursley in the books, we don't know enough about her, so things could go that way.

jgkitarel

Unread postby Phht » October 12th, 2014, 6:33 pm

The first one has a lot of potential for crazy hijinks, but the second... Well, Vernon getting some comeuppance would be nice, but honestly, I think Vernon would manage to antagonize too many people and get himself killed. Also, Danzo, being the perennially paranoid and fanatic KONOHA, FUCK YEAH! extremist that he is, well, no he's not likely to bond with Vernon.
More importantly, Danzo tends to be about asset utilization. Vernon, at least when it comes to Harry Potter, seems to be more about asset denial. Also, I don't think Danzo would approve of Vernon's actions vs Potter from a training perspective.

--

Silly thought. Marvel has the sort of tech that would make something like Girls und Panzer possible. But an issue would arise on how to make sure that the materials and systems used for crew safety weren't misused by criminal/terrorist organizations. My thought would be to put the rights/permissions for that stuff with Dr Doom. He's not the sort to misuse it beyond making his country even safer from external attack (depending on time frame/characterization), and I'm pretty sure no organization really wants the trouble of dealing with him simply to get that tech.
Phht

Unread postby jgkitarel » October 12th, 2014, 10:42 pm

More importantly, Danzo tends to be about asset utilization. Vernon, at least when it comes to Harry Potter, seems to be more about asset denial. Also, I don't think Danzo would approve of Vernon's actions vs Potter from a training perspective.
That makes a lot of sense. Danzo would have seen the potential in Harry's abilities and "freakishness" and sought ways to make the best use of them. Then again, in the kind of world he lives in, there are far freakier things than magic.
Silly thought. Marvel has the sort of tech that would make something like Girls und Panzer possible. But an issue would arise on how to make sure that the materials and systems used for crew safety weren't misused by criminal/terrorist organizations. My thought would be to put the rights/permissions for that stuff with Dr Doom. He's not the sort to misuse it beyond making his country even safer from external attack (depending on time frame/characterization), and I'm pretty sure no organization really wants the trouble of dealing with him simply to get that tech.
:animlol:

Well, unless Reed Richards has done something more to piss him off other than simply existing, which is already a berserk button of his.

jgkitarel

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » October 13th, 2014, 12:09 am

So, had an interesting thought after going through Youtube for a bit. What if the protection Harry got from his mother and father's sacrifices wasn't in the blood, but in the soul? In the form of his parents taking on Shaman King-esque spirit forms that can be there to comfort him, and as he grows older they learn how to materialize into manifested weapons and armor to help him?
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby PencilMonkey » October 13th, 2014, 4:29 am

That makes a lot of sense. Danzo would have seen the potential in Harry's abilities and "freakishness" and sought ways to make the best use of them. Then again, in the kind of world he lives in, there are far freakier things than magic.
Yes, but remember what Danzo does with all the valuable power-ups he gets his paws on... ;-)
Namely, grafting Sharingan eyes into his arms. Imagine a showdown between Danzo and Voldemort, where Tom is mocking the Muggle 'ninja', and then Danzo rolls up his sleeve and reveals that he's collected all the Horcruxes and turnes them into a charm bracelet, except for Nagini and Harry's forehead (including the scar), which he has had surgically implanted on his bicep. No, wait - on his buttocks! That way, he can moon Voldemort when he's showing off his collection. :-D
So, had an interesting thought after going through Youtube for a bit. What if the protection Harry got from his mother and father's sacrifices wasn't in the blood, but in the soul? In the form of his parents taking on Shaman King-esque spirit forms that can be there to comfort him, and as he grows older they learn how to materialize into manifested weapons and armor to help him?
Manta Oyamada = Neville Longbottom?
If you're looking for fan drawings of Harry Potter, Naruto, and plenty more besides, come check out:

My Tumblr

My DeviantArt page
PencilMonkey

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » October 13th, 2014, 12:24 pm

Possibly. If nothing else Lily would try to get Harry to be friends with him in order to try and help her godson out a bit. They'd probably try and keep their existence at least partially a secret... at least until Harry's first Potion's class. I really doubt Lily would be able to keep herself from manifesting and tearing a strip off of Snape's hide, figuratively and possibly literally depending on how far into the lesson they got.
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby PencilMonkey » October 14th, 2014, 7:36 am

Lily's ghost would probably be rather upset when she saw Snape sending Dumbledore a message, or warding off a Dementor, too.

"He bloody well stole my Patronus, the greasy git!"

My Tumblr

My DeviantArt page
PencilMonkey

Return to “%s” General Fanfiction Discussion