Plot Bunnies to a good home (May be rabid)

Re: Plot Bunnies to a good home (May be rabid)

Unread postby EdStargazer » May 29th, 2015, 2:34 am

Or simply work outside normal. Make yourself invisible. Set a trap with a big spike the size of a phone pole. Summon the EGGS to the trap. Wait for dragon to chase eggs and get spiked. Harvest dead dragon too.
:biggrin:
They are characters we all know, and dislike. They are the reason for the story. The reason the plot moves ahead towards its end. No story of any quality can exist without these most important of characters. They are the reason for heroes to exist.
The antagonist, the 'bad guy'

The Villain

One thing you learn as a hero, that once you reach a certain power or ability level, death is merely an inconvenience

There comes a time when even a magical castle loses its luster, when spells and enchatments fail to thrill, when magic itself becomes ... mundane
EdStargazer

Unread postby TraceReading » May 29th, 2015, 4:29 am

Yes, and to get at most of the targets you've all listed, the magic has to bypass the skin first.
Everything I mentioned can be done when the dragon roars at you.
See this look? It's terror!
TraceReading

Unread postby Wraith5 » May 29th, 2015, 10:21 am

Yes, and to get at most of the targets you've all listed, the magic has to bypass the skin first.
Everything I mentioned can be done when the dragon roars at you.
I can only imagine the widespread disgust, horror, and vomiting that would happen if you used "Accio dragon (organ)" when it roars. I can't imagine viewing a dragon's stomach turned inside out (including the contents) would be anywhere near pleasant. :puke: Informative? Maybe. Pleasant? HELL NO.
"Boss, why is it that you always say 'I've got a plan' like a terrorist says 'I've got a bomb'?" - Garrus Vakarian in Razor's Edge: Requiem (a Mass Effect fan-fic)
"Sometimes I stop to think and forget to start again." - t-shirt
"I don't understand, but I disagree." - my older sister misquoting my younger brother ("I understand, but...")
"Come to the Darkside; We have bacon." - t-shirt
Wraith5

Unread postby jgkitarel » May 29th, 2015, 8:59 pm

I like Ed's idea, it's outside the box thinking and something that is, technically, within Harry's reach.
Also, I have to punch you, jgkitarel, because I spent a lot of time on the nanoha wiki trying to locate information on mages being trained due to being above a certain rank, only to remember and confirm that you were the one that came up with that. - Phht
Don't forget: Mass Effect is powered by magic space rocks. Evangelion is powered by Your Mom.
From his new fic Long Night of the Harvest

My current project on FFN, Mystic Knight Online
jgkitarel

Unread postby Phht » May 31st, 2015, 6:29 am

More fun: What if Harry successfully cast the Imperious on the dragon when it roars (to bypass any magic resistant skin issues)?

Tournament rules (no rules against using illegal/dark spells and no rules requiring competitor to conform to national laws) and national laws (not illegal if used on creatures cliche) reveal that he did absolutely nothing illegal with that curse, so he suffers no punishment (for bonus points, it'd be amusing if national laws would've had it as illegal to cast on the dragon if the tournament was at either other school instead). Well, other than getting only 10 points. Every judge but Karkaroff gave him 0 points, and he gave full points for the amusement of the Boy-Who-Lived from the school not associated with Dark Arts being the one to use a dark spell to complete the task.

At some point during that, someone decides to ask the important question: How did he learn how to cast the spell? "Well, Professor Moody demonstrated it in class, then spent a class or two casting it on every student a few times, so probably anyone that paid enough attention to the professor thoroughly knows the pronunciation and wand movements for the spell at the very least." Cue Dumbledore and "Moody" being taken in for questioning, Crouch Jr being discovered, etc.
Phht

Unread postby jgkitarel » May 31st, 2015, 7:08 am

And then Voldemort goes to Plan B, talking with his old friend Albert Whesker.
Also, I have to punch you, jgkitarel, because I spent a lot of time on the nanoha wiki trying to locate information on mages being trained due to being above a certain rank, only to remember and confirm that you were the one that came up with that. - Phht
Don't forget: Mass Effect is powered by magic space rocks. Evangelion is powered by Your Mom.

jgkitarel

Unread postby RavynousHunter » May 31st, 2015, 1:44 pm

Take out its eyes, then. It was implied in the books (if memory serves) that a Conjunctivitis Curse would've perturbed a dragon long enough for Harry to get the egg, so if something as childish as that would work, why not something more serious like diffindo or a Bludgeoning Curse or, hell, even the Killing Curse? Given the size of an average dragon, their eyes are likely size of a man's head, making them much easier targets than a human's eyes. If you can pierce the eyes, then you can pierce the brain, so a sufficiently powerful piercing spell to the eyes would kill a dragon stone dead.
RavynousHunter

Unread postby Wraith5 » May 31st, 2015, 3:49 pm

Lol, if you're going to go that route, you could even do something like an improvised magic rifle. "Accio tent stake" followed by tossing it into the air and using some other spell to launch it through the dragon's eye... Hell, you could even use "accio loaded anti-material rifle." XD
"Boss, why is it that you always say 'I've got a plan' like a terrorist says 'I've got a bomb'?" - Garrus Vakarian in Razor's Edge: Requiem (a Mass Effect fan-fic)
"Sometimes I stop to think and forget to start again." - t-shirt
"I don't understand, but I disagree." - my older sister misquoting my younger brother ("I understand, but...")
"Come to the Darkside; We have bacon." - t-shirt
Wraith5

Unread postby RavynousHunter » June 2nd, 2015, 9:52 am

Dude, enhancing muggle tech with magic would be awesome. Aside from the obvious military applications, could you imagine how cool it'd be to have self-breeding nuclear reactor fuel? Magical containment of fusion plasma? Using a conjuration to create antihydrogen in mass quantities?
RavynousHunter

Unread postby TraceReading » June 3rd, 2015, 7:07 am

I know there's already a few stories in a similar vein (Master of the Basics comes to mind), but a little thought all the same, either from a medic that served in a field hospital, or from a teacher...

Whiner need not be Naruto. Saying soldiers instead of ninja is my thing, going off a different idea where the military culture of the Hidden Villages is taken to its logical conclusion.

"Why the emphasis, though? Why the dogged insistence on such basic skills?"

"Because they can SAVE. YOUR. LIFE. I could tell you dozens, hundreds of stories of soldiers who went home crippled, or worse, in a pine BOX, because they FORGOT THE BASICS. Never underestimate what you can do with bog-standard, textbook basics. Some of the most skilled soldiers in the world were taken down by the simplest of tricks. You don't need a flashy power move in order to be an effective fighter."
TraceReading

Unread postby MEKristian » June 3rd, 2015, 10:21 am

Because the clone technique is going to be the most helpful thing against the guy who can twist reality by looking at you.

aka The problem with most "serious" Naruto fanfics is that they have to completely gut the franchise because you can't have "serious military story" and "fun shounen adventure" in the same story. And at that point, why are you even bothering to twist Naruto into being that story?
MEKristian

AOL: MEKristian

Unread postby Dechstreme » June 4th, 2015, 8:05 pm

Funny crossover idea: right after A's, Nanoha, Fate and Hayate take up a hobby to work off stress from school and TSAB work.

Six months later, the world is shocked as three elementary school girls leave a swath of destruction through the Under-19 Gunpla Battle Japan Team Championship.
Spoiler: show
Nanoha uses a Hi-Nu Gundam with a GN Sword II Blaster and GN Sword Bit edges to the Fin Funnels, allowing them to cut targets.

Fate uses a Deathscythe Hell with a GN Drive and the Epyon's Beam Sword.

Hayate uses a black-and-white Reborns Gundam with the Large GN Fin Fangs upgraded to Large GN Atomic Bazooka Fin Fangs.
Yeah, I think you, me, and MEK are the only ones familiar enough with the Build Fighters at this point, Nitramy...
Dechstreme

Yahoo Messenger: dechstreme@yahoo.com

Unread postby TraceReading » June 8th, 2015, 10:40 am

What would you call a bloodline based on Kirby's ability to copy the unique powers of his foes, and who should get it?
TraceReading

Unread postby MEKristian » June 8th, 2015, 11:04 am

The Sharingan?
MEKristian

Unread postby TraceReading » June 9th, 2015, 5:59 am

I said unique.

The Sharingan does not copy unique abilities.
TraceReading

Unread postby jgkitarel » June 15th, 2015, 4:57 pm

That would be the Deus ex Machingan, the fan wanking version of the Sharingan.

jgkitarel

Unread postby TraceReading » June 15th, 2015, 7:12 pm

Of course we could just give [CHARACTER] the same initial ability as Rogue, but knowing the state of fanfic these days I would worry about excessive wangst.
TraceReading

Unread postby jgkitarel » June 16th, 2015, 12:17 am

Just use the classic method of dealing with it. Take implement of wangst correction. Use said implement on character. Either they get past it, or get knocked unconscious.

jgkitarel

Unread postby MEKristian » June 16th, 2015, 10:15 pm

Here's an "Easy" one; choose a "Crack pairing" in whatever series that you find interesting.

Then build an entire story around making it plausible.
MEKristian

Unread postby jgkitarel » June 19th, 2015, 2:45 pm

I would try, but I found a fic that would have any attempt I do beat.

here.

jgkitarel

Unread postby Phht » June 19th, 2015, 11:20 pm

I would try, but I found a fic that would have any attempt I do beat.

here.
I believe I've seen that story before. Passed over it because the summary didn't catch my interest. Oh god, definitely crack pairing made plausible.
Phht

Unread postby jgkitarel » June 20th, 2015, 8:41 pm

And done in a very clever way, as well. An ultimate FU to the Reapers in the prologue, and then built from there.

jgkitarel

Unread postby MEKristian » July 4th, 2015, 8:44 pm

Allow a second bonus condition for the "Crack pairing" thing; pick a fandom that's very "set in their ways" about shipping. For instance, Avatar, Naruto and Harry Potter tend towards free-for-alls in the shipping department, so an unusual pair doesn't make much of a splash.

Depending on your shipping standards, for a real "Crack ship" you can go with things like harem anime, and anything else that has lots of fandom "Definitive" OTPs, such as with Nanoha, and to an extent Touhou. Or anything else you think of that I don't.
MEKristian

Unread postby RavynousHunter » July 14th, 2015, 5:22 pm

During a bout of rather severe depression, I had one. Spoilered because its...well, depressing. (Has to do with Tenchi Muyo)
Basically, due to the laws in Tenchi's version of Japan (I don't know if this holds true for real Japan or not), Tenchi can only legally marry one of the girls. There was a drawing of straws, and Washu won. Being a good sport, she promised to share. However, on their wedding day, Tenchi is killed in a car accident while driving home after getting some last-minute alterations to his tux. Most of the story was going to detail Washu and the girl's grief in dealing with the sudden, tragic loss of the man they loved.
Yeah...depression screws with your mind. A lot.
RavynousHunter

Unread postby jgkitarel » July 23rd, 2015, 1:03 am

Ouch. Would be interesting to read, but it would heavily depend on which continuity you are using.
The OVA continuity, which is the canon continuity, Tenchi's death wouldn't stick, if he could even die, and that is if something as simple as a car accident would kill him, given how tough he is and his raw power, especially given that he is now fully aware of it and is slowly learning how to call on it at will. He's more powerful that his own universe's gods and is de facto immortal.

The TV continuity? Yeah, Tenchi's fully mortal, so dying like that would be more plausible.

jgkitarel

Return to “%s” General Fanfiction Discussion