The 'Pimp your fics' Thread

The 'Pimp your fics' Thread

Unread postby ashez2ashes » May 5th, 2008, 8:42 pm

I thought it might be fun to have a thread for people to advertise their fics. Name your top three favorite fics that you have written and include a link. We might see some famliar names or find something new to read. And honestly, who doesn't enjoy an excuse to pimp out their stories?

Three fics that I feel a relatively low level of shame to have written are...

Learning - Hinata and Naruto have a moment underneath the moonlight... but not exactly the type of moment she'd like to have. Naruhina. [Naruto]

Childhood Memories - collection of short stories about the strawhat crew when they were kids. [One Piece]

Rage - COMPLETE! Cowritten with AsheRhyder. Ryoga finally makes it back to junsekyo...and jumps into the wrong spring. They really should repaint those signs... (there's a lot of things about this I'm a little embarassed about 7 years later, but still one of the few things I've actually finished). [Ranma/X-Men]

So what about you? What have you written? Come on out and unlurk, I know there are quite a few writers out there.
Last edited by ashez2ashes on May 15th, 2008, 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
ashez2ashes

Re: The 'Pimp your fics' Thread

Unread postby LightLink17 » May 5th, 2008, 9:11 pm

Bah. :P

I usually have a problem with advertising my own fics directly, but I suppose...

I've only submitted two stories at the moment, despite having 3 (well, 4 now) done/in progress.

Harry Potter EU: The Philosopher's Stones - A fic that's almost a year in the making at this point, I one day had the idea of a world in which wizarding genes were more common, and had always been so (meaning muggleborns always happened more often, and squibs less so). It's great fun, as it allows me to create a ton of OC's, dabble with Wizarding history and society in interesting ways, remove the Harry-centric universe problem I had with canon, remove the Gryffindor-and-Slytherin-are-the-only-houses-worth-talking-about problem, and do a few other interesting things, all in one fell swoop.

A Better Man - It was a Lily/Snape challenge to myself. But I didn't think it interesting enough to write a whole story about it, so it's just a oneshot, featuring a more emotionally aware Snape's pensieve memories, from Snape's point of view.
LightLink17

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » May 5th, 2008, 9:51 pm

Okay, I've got three fics that I'm working on, one that's been discontinued due to poor planning and is being tweaked for reinvention, and a half-:censored: one-shot that's a small offshot of my first fic ever, which I haven't really edited, so it's a real mess that gradually gets a little better.

First off:

Take the Long Way Home: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1520966/1/T ... g_Way_Home
This is my very first fic, an X-Men: Evolution take that branches off from cannon after X-23 is first introduced. There's a whole platoon of OCs here folks, something that's pretty consistent with all my fics, but these guys are pretty much half-baked rip-offs in some cases, and in others they're just not well thought out. Add on a serious lack of inspiration for the fic lately and this thing is in serious danger of dying. It's in a coma as it is...

Swamp Fox: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2443704/1/Swamp_Fox
Yet another OC fic, this one introducing a new Titan who doesn't play by their rules, as well as a whole new way of playing the game, including new enemies, old enemies that turn to allies and more than a few new allies. A little better put together than the OCs in TtLWH, he and his ilk still aren't exactly primo material. Had a lot of plans for this one, but they never really took off. There's a heavy emphasis on Raven/Beastboy pairing in here too (yes I'm a shameless BB/Rae shipper, what can I say I like the whole "opposites attract" theory. Probably why I like Naru/Hina so much too.)

Dogs of War: Element Lords: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4219921/1/D ... ment_Lords
My newest effort to get back into fanfiction, this is a "Guardians of Earth" type Sailor Moon AU, where I explore how some things might have gone if the Earth had had it's own battalion of protectors, a different take on the whole "Tuxedo Mask" persona, and a not so nice take on Serenity's true intentions behind reincarnating the Scouts.
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby paradoxielysium » May 6th, 2008, 10:52 am

Give me a minute to peruse your selections eh?
paradoxielysium

Unread postby U2P » May 6th, 2008, 1:05 pm

I thought it might be fun to have a thread for people to advertise their fics. To keep is simple, name your top three favorite fics that you have written and include a link. We might see some famliar names or find something new to read. And honestly, who doesn't enjoy an excuse to pimp out their stories?

Three fics that I feel a relatively low level of shame to have written are...

Learning - Hinata and Naruto have a moment underneath the moonlight... but not exactly the type of moment she'd like to have. Naruhina. [Naruto]

Childhood Memories - collection of short stories about the strawhat crew when they were kids. [One Piece]

Rage - COMPLETE! Cowritten with AsheRhyder. Ryoga finally makes it back to junsekyo...and jumps into the wrong spring. They really should repaint those signs... (there's a lot of things about this I'm a little embarassed about 7 years later, but still one of the few things I've actually finished). [Ranma/X-Men]

So what about you? What have you written? Come on out and unlurk, I know there are quite a few writers out there.
I found the idea of Hinata reading one of the Toad Sanins books entertaining. It seemed to cause trouble for her to an entertaining degree. Actually the part about Naruto dancing didn't surprise me as much as I thought. Most professional athletes take dance lessons for the sole purpose of being more agile/graceful.
U2P

Unread postby ashez2ashes » May 6th, 2008, 2:28 pm

I found the idea of Hinata reading one of the Toad Sanins books entertaining. It seemed to cause trouble for her to an entertaining degree. Actually the part about Naruto dancing didn't surprise me as much as I thought. Most professional athletes take dance lessons for the sole purpose of being more agile/graceful.
I vaguely remember reading stories about American football players taking ballet and such. There's also the fact that Jiraiya would consider it teasing/blackmail material somewhere down the road. Well he would have if he hadn't
Spoiler: show
up and died on me and ruined my sequel. Argh.
ashez2ashes

Unread postby unknown134 » May 6th, 2008, 3:46 pm

Psh. Sequel, Schmequel. You can always go AU if canon events don't fit into your plans. I liked your 'Learning' story, by the way. Good job with that 1st person perspective - wish more people would use it like that.

Quizer
unknown134

Unread postby Puck » May 7th, 2008, 4:21 pm

Interviews with Minister of Magic canidates-spelling of the title isn't great, but I didn't have spell check on that.
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2356979/1/I ... _canidates

Mythbustes take on English Composition Theories. This one was written as an assignment and ended up on fanfiction.net. http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3430158/1/M ... n_Theories

Edit: should work now.
Last edited by Puck on May 9th, 2008, 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Puck

Unread postby Alex Mcpherson » May 7th, 2008, 6:25 pm

odd, your link didn't turn into a link... I'll check out tomorow after work. ;)
Alex Mcpherson

Unread postby Puck » May 9th, 2008, 11:56 pm

Fixed it, Alex.
Puck

Unread postby runsamok » May 12th, 2008, 4:17 am

I've made this topic "sticky" since it's likely to be used often, like the introductions thread. =)
Sincerely,
Lindsey Schocke (aka Runsamok)

"In the penny jar of life, I want to be a quarter."
runsamok

Unread postby paradoxielysium » May 13th, 2008, 11:11 am

Oh much obliged. At the moment i have too many to read, not enough time to see. TT_TT Sorry people.
paradoxielysium

Unread postby unknown315 » May 14th, 2008, 11:15 pm

Ah, I had originally posted in the Other Team 8 fics, and saw the post about this thread.

I've been writing fanfiction since 1996, decent to good fanfiction since 2001. My work is spread out across a bunch of different sites, but here's my ff.net profile. http://www.fanfiction.net/~nugar

My first really good one was Needful Things, which won best Tenchi Muyo lemon of 2002 on the TMFFA. It's a comedy about what happens after a saleslady shows up and convinces the girls of Tenchi Muyo to host a 'fun party', basically a tupperware party for adult items, at the Masaki household. Warning, Lemon.

http://www.mediaminer.org/fanfic/view_st.php/115490/
Ayeka involuntarily flipped a few more pages, then moved to
hand the magazine back. "I'm sorry, but I don't think we need
such objects of base perversion in this..." she trailed off,
looking at Ryoko. "I don't think _I_ would need such objects of
base perversion."

Ryoko looked up at her and stuck out her tongue. "You're
just jealous because I'd look better in these than you would,"
she replied, holding up the magazine. The 'these' in question
being two sequins and a cork short of a rather modest one piece.

Ayeka struggled to ignore Ryoko's antics. "Unlike Ryoko,
some of us don't care to dress up as the town slut and sleep with
every man, woman, and toaster oven that crosses our path-"

The old woman frowned and cut Ayeka off mid-sentence. "Oh,
come off it, Dear, we're all women here. Sometimes a girl needs
a little something special to revive a marriage, or comfort
herself in loneliness, or maybe, dare I say it..." She paused,
waiting for their full attention.

"Yes?" they both asked, leaning forward.

"Something to help bag that perfect man..."

Sequel to that was Aurora of Rainbow Fire, a collection of stand alone stories, kinda like a filler arc, that take place aftwards. Mixed comedy, drama, and lemon, depending on the individual chapter.

http://www.mediaminer.org/fanfic/view_st.php/117972/
"Cakes are for guests, like you," he replied, half turning.
"Eat your soup and be quiet." Then, to the other man, he added,
"Little girl has good point, though. If there are any left after
breakfast, give them to the pheasants."

"Well," Sasami muttered to herself, "if they're for the guests
like me..." Furious at his uncaring attitude, Sasami strode over
and grabbed several bagels, lobbing each one in turn at the
birds.

Unfortunately, each one bounced off the shimmering field
which kept them apart from the rest of the room and landed on the
floor, much to the cook's anger.

"What you do?!"

"Don't be such a meanie!" she yelled. "If the pheasants
are hungry, let them eat cake!"
Black and Blue Lagoon, a Black Lagoon adventure fic, with a bit of lime, written last year that turned out really good.
From the FF.net summary: Rock and an unconscious Revy end up adrift after a botched pirating job, finally ending up on a deserted island. Revy sees a new side to Rock as he fights man and nature to save her, but the real danger may be more insidious. They're out of cigarettes.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4026846/1/B ... lue_Lagoon
“Hey, you! Yeah, you, you bastard! You better start cowering properly or I’m gonna shoot you in the balls!” Revy snarled.
There's also The Lie of Night, which is a fanfic of a fanfic. It's a side story to Mark MacKinnon’s On a Clear Day You Can See Forever, written with permission. Only one chapter on it right now, but I'll be releasing chapter two fairly soon. (I got side tracked on another project, People Lie.)

On a Clear Day You Can See Forever (not mine, incredibly awesome in ways I cannot express in less than 20000 words). Primarily Ranma through most of the story, but the On a Clear Day arc is Ranma/SM in a darkly sexy alternate universe. http://www.shadowchronicles.net/

The Lie of Night (mine). Naruto characters in the same universe with different backgrounds. http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3806588/1/The_Lie_of_Night
I don't really have any good short snippets to cut out in it, my favorite scene, personally, is one where an older teenage Hinata fights three werewolves that were preying on people in a low end shopping district. Byakugan and jyuken vs lycanthropic healing.

And, my current main work, People Lie, currently sitting at 16 chapters, 17th to be released soon, 130k+ words.

It's similar in principle to Team 8, since I was inspired by T8, except I went the other direction. Instead of Naruto going to Team 8, I had Hinata come to Team 7 in place of Sakura. It's kind of dark in places, but really funny in others. It's not just dark comedy, it whipsaws back and forth betwen the two. I've changed a lot of things in the series. Among others, I didn't rehash the bell test, the wave arc, or the chunin exams. It starts during the academy days, where Naruto is basically the polar opposite of how he is in canon. He's slightly smarter, but he's got a vicious streak a mile wide and basically hates everyone. When actually ordered to go out and make a friend by his mentor, Ibiki, (the one person with enough insights into his personality to keep his rage and pain in check so he doesn't hurt the people around him), he stumbles into Hinata, who had no idea what he was really like. Naruto takes Hinata under his wing, showing her how to develop and nurse her resentment and anger towards her family into something that gives her strength. Hinata goes along with him because she understands that just as he teaches her to be strong, she's basically his only chance for redemption as a human being. The characters change a lot from when they're first introduced.

I'll be honest with you. Naruto treats Hinata very badly at first. The kind of things that some people have seriously disliked, though plenty of people have enjoyed it. But Naruto himself has been treated very badly, and he DOES improve. That's the whole point. The story isn't really about characters developing godlike fighting abilities, it's about deeply damaged child assassins finding healing and, if not normality, at least stability in each other. If you don't like a character, just keep reading. They'll change.

“If it gets cut in two, that indicates a wind type. Water: it gets wet. Fire: it bursts into flame. Earth: it crumbles into dust.” He held up two more folded sheets of paper with a smile, then handed them to Naruto and Hinata.

Naruto looked at his sheet of paper dubiously. “Um, Kakashi-sensei?” he hazarded. “You gave me a page from a book.”

“Hmm?” Kakashi replied. “I don’t think so. What does it say?”

“Uhh,” Naruto began, tilting it to catch the firelight. “’But we mustn’t, Minoru-kun, someone might see,’ Akira protested weakly, gasping as the boy’s hand slid into her panties’?!” he read, his voice rising perceptibly toward the end.

They all stared at him.

“That’s what it says,” he protested. “Look,” he said, brandishing the page. ‘Akira’s too large uniform slipped off her shoulders and puddled at her feet, her cute and shy face looking to one side as she bared herself,’ it’s what it says!”

“Ah,” Kakashi exclaimed. “I understand. That’s a page from Icha Icha Blushing Maidens. For the chakra paper to turn into that…” he paused. “It means you have the elemental affinity of hentai.”

Naruto stared at him in complete disbelief.
“As I said, I regret that I and my team have been away on a mission, and I only today got back and heard the news! I am not the man who will ignore your plight, I am the man who will help you fan the flames of your youthful power to greater heights!”

“Arson? Cool!” Naruto said enthusiastically.

“I like fire,” Sasuke admitted.

“Konoha shall burn,” Hinata added quietly.

Gai paused, unsure exactly how to respond to that. “Ehhh… that’s not exactly what-“
Naruto grinned. “You’re a compassionate soul, Sasuke. It’s really very thoughtful of you to release the little woodland creatures together.”

“Yes,” he admitted, dangling the mouse in front of the snake’s head.

Its tongue flickered out, tasting the air.

“Together.”

Lee made a strangled noise and ran for the trees with an armload of his little friends.

Naruto chuckled and looked at Sasuke, who was still teasing the snake with the dangling mouse.

“You’re a magnificent bastard, Sasuke,” he said admiringly.

Sasuke smiled back with a glint in his eyes. “Thanks. I’d do it anyway, but you know, it really gives me a warm feeling inside to know that it benefits the team.”

And I've got assorted smaller stuff floating around here and there. Hope some of you enjoy these fics!
unknown315

Unread postby U2P » May 15th, 2008, 2:49 am

Is it just me or does Hinata in that story, or at least her way of speaking remind you of A.Rei from time to time? Not her personality mind you, but her pattern of speech strikes me like that. Oh well look forward to your next update.
U2P

Unread postby Wittgen » May 15th, 2008, 3:17 am

I almost didn't check out People Lie because your description made it sound as if you just decided to make Naruto different for no reason. But there was a reason, and the changes to Naruto's personality made sense within the story. Anyway, I just wanted to say that I did enjoy the story. Naruto is absolutely terrible to Hinata though. Their relationship is pretty sickening, but I do see some hope for them.
Wittgen

Unread postby U2P » May 15th, 2008, 3:25 am

I almost didn't check out People Lie because your description made it sound as if you just decided to make Naruto different for no reason. But there was a reason, and the changes to Naruto's personality made sense within the story. Anyway, I just wanted to say that I did enjoy the story. Naruto is absolutely terrible to Hinata though. Their relationship is pretty sickening, but I do see some hope for them.
He was pretty terrible at the start, and up until they all got laid up in the hospital after their mission I'd agree, but he's certainly better now, and I hope he'll continue to improve as to how he treats them both.
U2P

Unread postby unknown315 » May 15th, 2008, 4:05 am

Yeah, I've put a LOT of thought into making the changes internally consistent. Naruto has a reason for being like he is. It's not a pleasant reason, but it's there. Also, he was raised by Ibiki, of all people.

You know how there's this general assumption in fanfics that if Naruto was raised by ANYONE he would grow up smarter and stronger? Well, I took that assumption and turned it on its ear. Yeah, he's smarter, and stronger, but Ibiki put him through subtle emotional abuse for years. It's not that Ibiki wanted to be mean to him, exactly, it's that he couldn't help it. Ibiki is a sadist of the highest order. He plays mind games with people, finding their insecurities and using them as weapons. Well, now Naruto does the same thing. Naruto, in many ways, would have turned out BETTER if he'd been left an unsupervised orphan.

He did treat Hinata quite badly. You're not SUPPOSED to approve of that. What good is a story without conflict? I wanted to create a fic where Naruto is both the protagonist and the antagonist. He's his own worst enemy, and the battle for his soul is fought by his friends. But there is hope there. No one has anything unless they have hope. He's made some very big mistakes here and there, but he's learning from them. With luck, he'll learn from them fast enough to not do anything irreversable.

Right now, though, the big mission is dealing with her family. Since Hinata can't turn off her byakugan and has to wear the special hitai-ate over her eyes to keep from hemorraging chakra, she's incredibly worried that her father is going to have her sealed. The big goal at the moment is a showdown between her and Neji, and ultimately she intends to face her father and prove that she's grown in strength so much they can't help but declare her undisputed heir. The idea there was, she hid her improvements all this time, faking weakness in front of her family as she gained strength, so that, when the time is right, she can suddenly display her full capabilities and not only prove herself strong, but utterly destroy the memories of her being weak, since her family will wonder how long she's been playing them.

Also, there's only like what, 4 unsealed Hyuga, period? That one elder that was shown, presumably Hiashi's father, Hiashi, Hinata and Hanabi. If Neji's father was sealed, and he was Hiashi's twin, I don't understand where this fanon assumption that there's this whole group of main family members running around making life miserable for the branch family. I figure that most of the supposed council of elders in the Hyuga are actually branch members keeping up the traditions.
unknown315

Unread postby U2P » May 15th, 2008, 4:54 pm

Nice portal reference btw. Always good to see another portal fan.
U2P

Unread postby SLAMU » May 16th, 2008, 3:24 am

I really am in awe of People Lie. I wasn't quite sure of whether or not I liked it to begin with, but it really did have a different flavor to it. Not the kind of sweet, cotton candy-like fluff that Learning had, but more like the kind of tangy, tartness that leaves you wanting more (like Sour Powder. Which reminds me; if some one bets you that you can't handle downing a handful of the stuff all at once, DON'T DO IT. Especially don't do "Double or Nuthin'." $6.14 just isn't worth it.) There were parts that had me going "I don't like where this is headed", although the writing held me in. That was a very good "Dark Naruto".
Kinda makes me want to call Hinata "Haku." Are we going to get a full recap of the shuggoth mission, or will it all be in fragments?
The tone of the fic is kinda hard for me to place at times...hmm. Anyway, *respectful bow* thank you for a story worth reading, and please keep up the good work.

On a side note, how does one go about laying tribute at the Mighty Authourlord's feet? :bow I have a tribute fic that I'd like to send His Most Esteemed Spectacularness, and as soon as it is ready, I intend to present it to him. :bow

As for my own fics, of the only two I have "published", one is on permanent hiatus and the other...needs to be reworked. I've been pushing around a Naruto/Wheel of Time crossover, but I have nothing "published" at this time. I guess this wasn't much of a "Pimp my Fic" post, was it?
SLAMU

Unread postby ShonenHero » May 16th, 2008, 5:38 am

Yeah, I've put a LOT of thought into making the changes internally consistent. Naruto has a reason for being like he is. It's not a pleasant reason, but it's there. Also, he was raised by Ibiki, of all people.

You know how there's this general assumption in fanfics that if Naruto was raised by ANYONE he would grow up smarter and stronger? Well, I took that assumption and turned it on its ear. Yeah, he's smarter, and stronger, but Ibiki put him through subtle emotional abuse for years. It's not that Ibiki wanted to be mean to him, exactly, it's that he couldn't help it. Ibiki is a sadist of the highest order. He plays mind games with people, finding their insecurities and using them as weapons. Well, now Naruto does the same thing. Naruto, in many ways, would have turned out BETTER if he'd been left an unsupervised orphan.

He did treat Hinata quite badly. You're not SUPPOSED to approve of that. What good is a story without conflict? I wanted to create a fic where Naruto is both the protagonist and the antagonist. He's his own worst enemy, and the battle for his soul is fought by his friends. But there is hope there. No one has anything unless they have hope. He's made some very big mistakes here and there, but he's learning from them. With luck, he'll learn from them fast enough to not do anything irreversable.

Right now, though, the big mission is dealing with her family. Since Hinata can't turn off her byakugan and has to wear the special hitai-ate over her eyes to keep from hemorraging chakra, she's incredibly worried that her father is going to have her sealed. The big goal at the moment is a showdown between her and Neji, and ultimately she intends to face her father and prove that she's grown in strength so much they can't help but declare her undisputed heir. The idea there was, she hid her improvements all this time, faking weakness in front of her family as she gained strength, so that, when the time is right, she can suddenly display her full capabilities and not only prove herself strong, but utterly destroy the memories of her being weak, since her family will wonder how long she's been playing them.

Also, there's only like what, 4 unsealed Hyuga, period? That one elder that was shown, presumably Hiashi's father, Hiashi, Hinata and Hanabi. If Neji's father was sealed, and he was Hiashi's twin, I don't understand where this fanon assumption that there's this whole group of main family members running around making life miserable for the branch family. I figure that most of the supposed council of elders in the Hyuga are actually branch members keeping up the traditions.
Eh, I tried to read it (got to about three chapters), but I became really turned off by it. It's...It's not bad, I'll admit, it just has a certain quality to it that makes my stomach sour. I want to give it a chance, but from what I've gathered so far the later chapters haven't changed the dynamic much. Or, I should say, in the direction that I'm comfortable with. :P
ShonenHero

Yahoo Messenger: chubbs.panbuukin
AOL: canera411

Unread postby ashez2ashes » May 16th, 2008, 12:31 pm

Eh, I tried to read it (got to about three chapters), but I became really turned off by it. It's...It's not bad, I'll admit, it just has a certain quality to it that makes my stomach sour. I want to give it a chance, but from what I've gathered so far the later chapters haven't changed the dynamic much. Or, I should say, in the direction that I'm comfortable with. :P
Yeah, I wasn't comfortable with it either... But I know it's a preference thing, not a quality issue. If I don't like any of the characters, I can't bring myself to keep reading. And also, I'm a mental wuss and just can't handle really dark fics most of the time.
ashez2ashes

Unread postby ShonenHero » May 16th, 2008, 4:24 pm

Yeah, I wasn't comfortable with it either... But I know it's a preference thing, not a quality issue. If I don't like any of the characters, I can't bring myself to keep reading. And also, I'm a mental wuss and just can't handle really dark fics most of the time.
Well, what I meant by quality is the overall nature of the fic. xP But your right, it is more of a preference issue then anything else. I, like you, am a mental wuss who doesn't like to deal with the more darker fics out there. P=
ShonenHero

Yahoo Messenger: chubbs.panbuukin
AOL: canera411

Unread postby unknown315 » May 16th, 2008, 4:29 pm

Fair enough. As long as you don't say that it just generically sucked. I will admit I tried a few experimental ways of telling a story that I usually don't do, and that didn't work out perfectly, things like a timeskip/flashback and a few others, but I did put a lot of work into writing it to the best of my ability.

I'm not sure what 'the direction you weren't comfortable with' is. At this point in the story, Naruto has pretty solidly latched onto Hinata and no longer feels the childish urge to 'test' her. Actually, at this point, Hinata, Naruto, and Sasuke have latched together in a bond of trust that makes them function as an extremely tight nit group. Naruto's demons have more to do with how he treats outsiders now than how he treats his friends, since that part was largely resolved earlier. He just doesn't have a lot of friends yet.

The thing drawing them all together isn't some big badguy like Orochimaru, who won't even show up in the story, it's that the world is a big scary place and bad things can happen to anyone, any time, and the only thing you can do about it is band together and help each other.

I understand not liking dark fics. I put so much comedy in it because I didn't want it to be some dark angst fest. There is almost no angst, certainly no deliberate angst, in People Lie.

Where some people are squeamish, other people are not. For me, I wrote People Lie the way I did because I've seen a lot of bad things in my life, but I always do my best to stay cheerful and upbeat. Bad things happen. Some people write stories where bad things happen to people and then they get all depressing and mope about it.

I write stories where bad things happen to people and they get a sense of humor about it while they overcome it.
“Hey, Hinata?” Tenten said out loud, not taking her gaze from Naruto.

“Yes?” Hinata replied.

“Naruto said you use your byakugan to settle arguments between him and Sasuke about girl’s underwear.”

Hinata tilted her head down as if she were looking at the ground for a moment. Finally, she said, “That again? Sasuke looks great in dark, low cut panties but really needs ruffles up top, even if he does think they make him look unmanly. Naruto looks great in almost everything, but his insistence on orange makes him look like he’s smuggling fruit in his bra.”
unknown315

Unread postby U2P » May 16th, 2008, 5:53 pm

Fair enough. As long as you don't say that it just generically sucked. I will admit I tried a few experimental ways of telling a story that I usually don't do, and that didn't work out perfectly, things like a timeskip/flashback and a few others, but I did put a lot of work into writing it to the best of my ability.

I'm not sure what 'the direction you weren't comfortable with' is. At this point in the story, Naruto has pretty solidly latched onto Hinata and no longer feels the childish urge to 'test' her. Actually, at this point, Hinata, Naruto, and Sasuke have latched together in a bond of trust that makes them function as an extremely tight nit group. Naruto's demons have more to do with how he treats outsiders now than how he treats his friends, since that part was largely resolved earlier. He just doesn't have a lot of friends yet.

The thing drawing them all together isn't some big badguy like Orochimaru, who won't even show up in the story, it's that the world is a big scary place and bad things can happen to anyone, any time, and the only thing you can do about it is band together and help each other.

I understand not liking dark fics. I put so much comedy in it because I didn't want it to be some dark angst fest. There is almost no angst, certainly no deliberate angst, in People Lie.

Where some people are squeamish, other people are not. For me, I wrote People Lie the way I did because I've seen a lot of bad things in my life, but I always do my best to stay cheerful and upbeat. Bad things happen. Some people write stories where bad things happen to people and then they get all depressing and mope about it.

I write stories where bad things happen to people and they get a sense of humor about it while they overcome it.
“Hey, Hinata?” Tenten said out loud, not taking her gaze from Naruto.

“Yes?” Hinata replied.

“Naruto said you use your byakugan to settle arguments between him and Sasuke about girl’s underwear.”

Hinata tilted her head down as if she were looking at the ground for a moment. Finally, she said, “That again? Sasuke looks great in dark, low cut panties but really needs ruffles up top, even if he does think they make him look unmanly. Naruto looks great in almost everything, but his insistence on orange makes him look like he’s smuggling fruit in his bra.”
It's why I'm so extremely sarcastic in my humor. I'm not spiteful it's just how I've learned to deal with everything. Acada uno su gusto though right?
U2P

Unread postby Chao Yang » May 18th, 2008, 12:41 pm

Hello, lurker here

I find People Lie to be... alluring in a very dark manner, it resonates with something deep within me which compels me to read it further. The psychology behind everything Naruto does is very dark and disturbing, adding an interesting dimension to the character you made.

Besides, I can't pass up a good NaruHina fic.

(BTW, I would love to post in the Team 8 thread, but I figure I'll wait till Chapter 18 comes out first)

-Chao Yang
Chao Yang

Return to “%s” General Fanfiction Discussion