Fic Search

Re: Fic Search

Unread postby Phht » June 10th, 2014, 8:51 am

You could try Accidental Hero of the Galaxy by Random Equinox.
Phht

Unread postby TraceReading » June 10th, 2014, 2:08 pm

Would anyone happen to have an alternate source for The Cost of Brilliance? It got pulled suddenly and I hadn't gotten around to reading it yet.
See this look? It's terror!
TraceReading

Unread postby Wraith5 » June 16th, 2014, 9:17 am

Well, having just seen How to Train Your Dragon 2 a few days ago, I've been sucked into reading a BUNCH of fanfics for the movie-verse. (I'll be honest, I wasn't too big a fan of the books. Shoulder-riding dragons are awesome when used right, I just think the movie version of the dragons works better. Also, I like the name "Valka" better than "Valhallarama". "Valhallarama" brings to mind something like a viking version of Futurama, or something like that...) I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for HtTYD fics, romance not required, but a HiccupxAstrid pairing is nice.
Last edited by Wraith5 on October 4th, 2014, 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Boss, why is it that you always say 'I've got a plan' like a terrorist says 'I've got a bomb'?" - Garrus Vakarian in Razor's Edge: Requiem (a Mass Effect fan-fic)
"Sometimes I stop to think and forget to start again." - t-shirt
"I don't understand, but I disagree." - my older sister misquoting my younger brother ("I understand, but...")
"Come to the Darkside; We have bacon." - t-shirt
Wraith5

Unread postby gamebrain89 » June 16th, 2014, 4:14 pm

As a matter of fact, I do.

Hitchups
By: The Antic Repartee
Hiccup didn't see the point in stopping Astrid as she ran off towards his village—towards his father—with his most desperately protected secret. He was leaving anyway. A coming-of-age tale. Deviates from movie. Borderline bromantic-comedy.

Hitchups is one of the best HtTYD fanfics I've read. It started out as a What-If Hiccup and Toothless didn't intercept Astrid when she found out about them and they instead left as he was planning, and turned into a kind of AU universe, filled with myths and legends and lots of different things. Definitely worth a read.

As for the romance bit, well this is definitely more focused on Hiccup's relationship with Toothless over anything else. There's not alot of romance stuff in it.
Think Globally. Act Within Local Variable Scope.
<div> Q: How do you annoy a Web Developer? </span>
Kingdom Hearts: Visions of Destiny- The Game So Far...
gamebrain89

Unread postby MrRigger2 » June 16th, 2014, 9:33 pm

I second Hitchups. I saw HTTYD2 over the weekend, and I'm rereading Hitchups as a result. Yeah, Hitchups isn't really focused on the romance so much as the Epic Bromance between Hiccup and Toothless. Seriously, highly recommended.

Designated Driver is a funny fic with Hiccup and Astrid together, but it doesn't really involve much of their relationship. Worth a read, though.

MrRigger
In engineering, the work is only done when there is nothing left to add. In writing, the work is only done when there is nothing left to take away.

Check out Between Magic and Mount Justice
MrRigger2

Unread postby TraceReading » August 6th, 2014, 4:23 pm

I forgot the name of a fic I was kinda reading wherein...it's sort of a self-insert, but the character is incarnated as a cat which Ami thinks is a Maine Coon... (sailor moon fic, yeah.)
TraceReading

Unread postby DIT_grue » August 7th, 2014, 1:06 am

I forgot the name of a fic I was kinda reading wherein...it's sort of a self-insert, but the character is incarnated as a cat which Ami thinks is a Maine Coon... (sailor moon fic, yeah.)
That'll be LordsFire's: That is not a Moon Cat.
DIT_grue

Unread postby TraceReading » August 7th, 2014, 9:09 am

>December 2013

Right, that's why I stopped reading it.

...like I'm one to talk. I've had a revised draft of chapter three of...a pile of garbage sitting around since 2012.
TraceReading

Unread postby DoctorNutter » August 24th, 2014, 2:36 pm

Not looking for a specific fic, more just asking people whose opinions I respect in the hopes of finding something good.

Does anyone know of any good HP/LotR crossovers? I just ended up suffering through "Wizard in the Shadows", which was among other things, a painful self-insert and despite the obviously timeline-altering entrance of Harry Potter into this world, forcefully drags itself into following the movie trilogy's scripts and plotlines.

I would like to think that there simply must be good fics out there, but in the brief time I've poked around, I tend to find crackships like Harry/Thorin or Hermione/Legolas, where it's Shipping-Without-Plot...to say nothing of generally poor writing.

Anyone have any suggestions?
DoctorNutter

Unread postby Wraith5 » October 4th, 2014, 10:59 pm

Hm... any recommendations for a good Eureka Seven fic? I've already made it about half-way through Ken-Goh's fics. And most of the other fics I've seen... well... yeah. I've tried reading a couple of the ones that aren't highschool AU, smut, self-insert, and so on, but all of the one's I've seen to this point have suffered from poor formatting (multiple characters speaking in the same paragraph, etc.).

Also, planning to try finding some Fafner: Dead Aggressor fics once I finish the series. (I've currently seen 23 episodes for it, but I'm REALLY busy with classes...)
EDIT: I've finished the original Fafner series, but I still have to watch the movie, Heaven and Earth. And apparently, there's also a sequel season to both of those coming out early 2015 titled EXODUS. :want:
EDIT 2: I've finished watching Fafner in the Azure: Heaven and Earth, and have started looking at the fanfics for it. I have one little problem with the Fafner fanfic community. [/sarcasm] Why is there so much KazukixSoshi??? There were only TWO characters in the entire series who I thought showed any sort of romantic interest in Kazuki, and they were both female. WTF???? Some KazukixMaya would be nice...
"Boss, why is it that you always say 'I've got a plan' like a terrorist says 'I've got a bomb'?" - Garrus Vakarian in Razor's Edge: Requiem (a Mass Effect fan-fic)
"I don't understand, but I disagree." - my older sister misquoting my younger brother ("I understand, but...")
Wraith5

Unread postby TraceReading » November 29th, 2014, 5:59 pm

I'm trying to remember this story...might have been from a one-shot or drabble, but it involves the Exams, the Jonin lounge (which was probably created for that story), and a bunch of rookie Jonin (Kurenai among them) all copying Kakashi's outfit.
TraceReading

Unread postby Phht » November 29th, 2014, 9:22 pm

You may be thinking of one of Chilord's stories, possibly Bondage Style?
Phht

Unread postby jgkitarel » December 6th, 2014, 7:37 am

Ah, that classic. Thank's for bringing it up Phht, gonna read it and allow my inner sub enjoy it.
Also, I have to punch you, jgkitarel, because I spent a lot of time on the nanoha wiki trying to locate information on mages being trained due to being above a certain rank, only to remember and confirm that you were the one that came up with that. - Phht
Don't forget: Mass Effect is powered by magic space rocks. Evangelion is powered by Your Mom.
From his new fic Long Night of the Harvest

My current project on FFN, Mystic Knight Online
jgkitarel

Unread postby Wraith5 » January 10th, 2016, 1:11 am

(Note: the first part of this post was from a WHILE back. Like early 2015...)
I know this is a 'little' off the beaten path, but anyone have any good s-CRY-ed fic suggestions?

Also, looking for good Zoids fics (preferably from the Chaotic Century/Guardian Force series), and I've already looked through pretty much all of the Zoids fics on FF.N...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd really rather not double-post... *sigh* I know! I'll add some things to this post, copy it, DELETE the original, then make a new post!

Okay, just read Knights of Sidonia. LOVED IT. Now I need fanfiction... but I've only been able to find a total of like 15, and only 12 (IIRC) were actually in English (10 from FF.N, 4 from AO3, and one from a very brief Google search I did...). And pretty much none of them were of the 'post-series continuation' or 'missing scene' type fics that I love so much... If anyone has any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated.
Wraith5

Unread postby acemcknight » February 1st, 2017, 6:07 pm

Long time since this thread was used, hope it might still be of some use. Also, I freely admit to not having read through all 46 pages of replies, so if my question (or a similar one) has already been asked, sorry.

Anyway, does anyone here know of any good RWBY fanfiction? I really enjoy the show, but a lot of the fanfiction I have found is pretty sub-par. What I'm looking for in a list:

1. Jaune (or overall JNPR) focused story that emphasizes a realistic progression for character growth (physical, mental, and otherwise).
2. Canon teams (optional, though highly preferred)
3. No yuri/yaoi (preferably light to non-existent on "mature themes") (Yuri is hard to avoid in this area; if it is well written I may consider it despite my preference)
4. No high school/real world AUs (Keep it in Remnant)

Alternatively, if anyone can suggest a good story where Jaune is written a little darker (though not evil) in his interactions with others I would appreciate it. Ideally he would also be disillusioned with the concept of "heroes."

Note: Though it probably seems obvious, I am dissatisfied with what the show has done with Jaune thus far. I realize he is something of a side character (at least until Volume 4), but it almost seems like he's just there for comic relief. Needless to say, I'm trying to turn to fanfiction to solve his case of severely wasted potential.

That should be it. Let me know what you've got so far as fanfics. Thanks!
acemcknight

Unread postby Bluone » April 15th, 2017, 5:30 am

....What I'm looking for in a list:

1. Jaune (or overall JNPR) focused story that emphasizes a realistic progression for character growth (physical, mental, and otherwise).
2. Canon teams (optional, though highly preferred)
3. No yuri/yaoi (preferably light to non-existent on "mature themes") (Yuri is hard to avoid in this area; if it is well written I may consider it despite my preference)
4. No high school/real world AUs (Keep it in Remnant)

Alternatively, if anyone can suggest a good story where Jaune is written a little darker (though not evil) in his interactions with others I would appreciate it. Ideally he would also be disillusioned with the concept of "heroes."
Ok, Here we go.

1. Jaune focused story: Check (Realistic progression for character growth... tentative check).
2. Cannon Teams: Not for JNPR, but I believe RWBY is still a team. Not really the focus of the fic.
3. No Yuri/Yaoi: Check, there is next to no romance. There IS however the most awesome Bromance I've ever read.
4. Keep it in Remnant: Check

Three out of four aint bad, right? Also, from about a quarter into the fic, all the way to the end, its almost nonstop Crowning Moments of Awesome.
The fic is Ryuugis' "The Games We Play" and is the best RWBY fic I've ever read.
Here's the TVTropes link http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/F ... amesWePlay Definitely go for the "Story Only" link though. You'd have to page through way too many posts otherwise.
Bluone

Unread postby acemcknight » May 8th, 2017, 10:16 am

[/quote]
Ok, Here we go.

1. Jaune focused story: Check (Realistic progression for character growth... tentative check).
2. Cannon Teams: Not for JNPR, but I believe RWBY is still a team. Not really the focus of the fic.
3. No Yuri/Yaoi: Check, there is next to no romance. There IS however the most awesome Bromance I've ever read.
4. Keep it in Remnant: Check

Three out of four aint bad, right? Also, from about a quarter into the fic, all the way to the end, its almost nonstop Crowning Moments of Awesome.
The fic is Ryuugis' "The Games We Play" and is the best RWBY fic I've ever read.
Here's the TVTropes link http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/F ... amesWePlay Definitely go for the "Story Only" link though. You'd have to page through way too many posts otherwise.[/quote]

Thanks for the recommendation. Most of the way through part 2 and I have to agree with you about it being one of (if not) the best RWBY fanfictions I've read.
acemcknight

Unread postby Wraith5 » May 21st, 2017, 12:31 am

Has anyone seen any good Zelda: Breath of the Wild novelization-type fics? (And by "good" I mean "they didn't use any of the standard RPG-type game mechanics as a story plot thing" (like trading Spirit Orbs for 'extra health/extra stamina').) I did some poking around, but I haven't actually found one of those yet.
EDIT: I would now say 'some decent searching' instead of 'some poking'.
Last edited by Wraith5 on June 26th, 2017, 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wraith5

Unread postby acemcknight » June 26th, 2017, 11:20 am

Since this thread managed to turn up a gem last time I tried, I'm back to try to find something else. As with my last post, this is more a general concept search than anything else.

What I'm looking for is a Harry Potter fanfic that pairs Harry and Hermione without letting Ron fall to the background and/or get bashed on (and hopefully he even finds someone for himself). Other things I'm looking for (or not looking for) in this fic:

1. Bashing kept to a minimum/non-existent (if bashing exists, no bashing on Dumbledor or Weaslys; keep it to characters that deserve it like Draco and Snape)
2. Keeps characters relatively true to form, with believable changes based on events of the story.
3. Stresses the friendships between the "golden trio," even after HP/HG develops
4. Generally well written
5. No restrictions based on canon compliance, but keep it in Hogwarts and surrounding areas (No serious AU)
6. Can start anywhere in the timeline, but no relationships until at least 3rd year (seriously, that's just strange)

Mainly I'm looking for this because I want to see a take on a (slightly more) mature Ron than Rowling presents in canon, one who wouldn't drop his friendship with Harry and Hermione just because they started dating. I recognize that canon Ron is not a good character and is in fact kind of a big jerk (or at the very least an unfortunate combination of selfish and tactless). What I don't understand is why so many people are intent on keeping him that way in fanfiction; clearly Rowling meant for him to be Harry's friend, even his best friend. It's discouraging to see so many fanfictions that throw that away instead of making Ron's character adapt and change to be a better person and a better friend.

Thanks all. Keep being awesome!
acemcknight

Return to “%s” General Fanfiction Discussion