Fic Search

Re: Fic Search

Unread postby Wraith5 » October 12th, 2013, 12:22 am

Well, since I appear to have killed this thread... (Longer than Nebula1701! I win! :leaving:) I shall attempt to revive it!
Anyone know where I could find any somewhat decent After War Gundam X fanfics? I already looked at the TWO on ff.n... They didn't exactly help...
"Boss, why is it that you always say 'I've got a plan' like a terrorist says 'I've got a bomb'?" - Garrus Vakarian in Razor's Edge: Requiem (a Mass Effect fan-fic)
"Sometimes I stop to think and forget to start again." - t-shirt
"I don't understand, but I disagree." - my older sister misquoting my younger brother ("I understand, but...")
"Come to the Darkside; We have bacon." - t-shirt
Wraith5

Unread postby Wraith5 » October 23rd, 2013, 8:52 am

Okay... have I scared people off or something? Dammit. :angry:
Okay, ANOTHER request then! Anyone know any good Gundam AGE fics? Yes, I have tried the seven on FF.N (even though it says there are NINE...), but the only ones I like were only really at the prologue chapter stage. Savior's Destination (45 chapters long) would've been good... if the author hadn't made the Haro a self-aware pervert and turned the Yurin and Emily's relationship with Flit into an "He's going to love me!" "No, he'll love me!" thing.
Spoiler: show
Emily keeps referring to Yurin as a succubus. WTF? Remember, these characters are FOURTEEN. :O_O:
Sooo... yeah.
"Boss, why is it that you always say 'I've got a plan' like a terrorist says 'I've got a bomb'?" - Garrus Vakarian in Razor's Edge: Requiem (a Mass Effect fan-fic)
"I don't understand, but I disagree." - my older sister misquoting my younger brother ("I understand, but...")
Wraith5

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » October 23rd, 2013, 11:21 am

Sorry Wraith, it's jut that Gundam is kind of a niche fandom here, thus the lack of responses.
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby MEKristian » October 23rd, 2013, 11:39 am

And AGE is a niche within a niche.
MEKristian

AOL: MEKristian

Unread postby Wraith5 » October 23rd, 2013, 11:53 am

Hmm... that is true. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Well, I would've thought that, with all the blanks for past events, future events, inter-generation events, and so on, I would've thought it would be one of the easier Gundam series to write for. I mean, Gundam Wing pretty much has everyone's history filled in, and almost all of the things between the major events are too. Gundam Wing pretty much leaves a LOT of what it doesn't explicitly state in the "heavily implied" category (at least, that's how it seems to me...). So... yeah.
Wraith5

Unread postby MEKristian » October 23rd, 2013, 3:11 pm

A fair number of those things do exist; Gundam AGE was conceived as a Video Game first, then turned into a heavily rushed anime, after all. It's just that with Bandai of America's herping and derping, we may never get the AGE PSP games in a translated format.
MEKristian

AOL: MEKristian

Unread postby Aldraia Dragonsong » November 13th, 2013, 11:43 pm

Anyone ever seen a decent time-travel fanfic with Gaara as the main character?
Random Scholomance Quote of However Long It Takes Me To Get Bored of the Last One:
“Ancell: respecting personal boundaries to the detriment of his friends since 1993.” ~bookworm702
Aldraia Dragonsong

Unread postby macrossgreen » November 25th, 2013, 1:17 am

I'm looking for a Naruto-based fanfic. Basically, Naruto, Shino, and Hinata are friends pre-team assignments, and train together during that time, but wind up stuck in the standard assigned teams anyway.

I'm also looking for a way to be able to get fanfics from fanfiction.net into epub format, but that doesn't fit here. heh. So I'd be happy to find the fic I'm looking for, I've been trying to find it for months.
macrossgreen

Unread postby Wraith5 » November 25th, 2013, 7:15 am

Well, I've seen that kind of fan fic before, but I can't remember what it was. As for your other question, I use FanFiction Downloader. It can convert fics to epub, mobi, rtf, txt, html (well, ONE html on YOUR computer), and several other formats.
Wraith5

Unread postby macrossgreen » November 25th, 2013, 9:01 pm

I used to use it, too. Unfortunately, Fanfiction.net seems to have found a way to mask any copying of any story text from it's site. It messes with the downloader as a result, loads all the chapters as blank pages. I don't think the bugfix handles the issue, either.
macrossgreen

Unread postby Wraith5 » December 6th, 2013, 11:11 pm

Well, I haven't downloaded any fics since the last big FF.N update, so I don't know if that messed anything up. I do know that I never got any blank pages or anything. You may also want to make sure you're not trying to use one device to attempt to read an unsupported file type.
(Those are the only things I can think of at this point in time. I've barely slept at all in the last 36 hours...)

Although, there IS the 'brute force' method. A few years ago, I just copy-pasted entire fics into a text document one chapter at a time (adding in chapter numbers, titles, and break lines). It's very tedious, but it works. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Wraith5

Unread postby jgkitarel » December 7th, 2013, 12:39 am

Are you using the more recent version of FF Downloader? When FFN did their last major update, there was a change to the HTML coding which caused this problem, they say they fixed it (meaning it generally works for them). If you're still having an issue, you may be better served just uninstalling and reinstalling it to the latest version.
Also, I have to punch you, jgkitarel, because I spent a lot of time on the nanoha wiki trying to locate information on mages being trained due to being above a certain rank, only to remember and confirm that you were the one that came up with that. - Phht
Don't forget: Mass Effect is powered by magic space rocks. Evangelion is powered by Your Mom.
From his new fic Long Night of the Harvest

My current project on FFN, Mystic Knight Online
jgkitarel

Unread postby Wraith5 » December 7th, 2013, 7:41 am

Well, whaddaya know? I was using version 0.7.x, most recent version is 0.8.7. Huh. Agreed, you might want to update the downloader.
Wraith5

Unread postby Wraith5 » January 5th, 2014, 11:50 pm

Wow. I'm a bit surprised at how long this thread has stayed silent... Well, I've got a new search request: Anyone know any good fics for Frozen (my family went and saw it last week, we loved it)? No ElsaxAnna please... Oh, and preferred setting would be post-movie (within a few months after the movie ends, if possible). I've done a fair amount of looking through FF.N and found a few decent fics, but that searching was mostly done after 2:00... AM. (Translation? I was pretty much brain dead.) Preferred pairing for canon characters is KristoffxAnna, but non-romance fics are fine. Oh, and, of course, a plot that makes (at least a little) sense is a requirement.
Oh, more stuff on pairings (spoiler-ed because it kind of includes spoilers):
Please, please no HansxElsa or HansxAnna... I don't like Hans at all. He's a real asshole...
Wraith5

Unread postby Greybane » January 7th, 2014, 2:28 am

Dear God been ages since I did more than lurk. Anyways, I did some searching recently, and there isn't anything that really fits your requirements Wraith5. The movie is fairly recent though, so that is unsurprising, even if it is a fantastic movie. I shall keep an eye out though.
Odd that. It actually worked.
Greybane

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » January 7th, 2014, 3:09 am

Same here. Most of the ones I've found aren't really that great, or suffer from really badly rushed plots and minimal character building. All of them also seem to focus on getting Elsa hooked up.
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby Wraith5 » January 7th, 2014, 7:44 am

Like I said, I've found a few decent ones, which just happens to include a fic where the author refuses to use past tense outside of dialogue... I was mostly just wondering if any of you happened to have found any on a site other than FF.N since I'm too lazy to look myself.:halo
Wraith5

Unread postby Aldraia Dragonsong » February 3rd, 2014, 6:55 am

I wish for a Harry Potter AU where Peter stays good.
Random Scholomance Quote of However Long It Takes Me To Get Bored of the Last One:
“Ancell: respecting personal boundaries to the detriment of his friends since 1993.” ~bookworm702
Aldraia Dragonsong

Unread postby TraceReading » February 3rd, 2014, 10:08 am

I recall a Familiar of Zero fic where Louise summoned Zero...

But I can't remember if it was in a compilation or if it was stand-alone. (It goes without saying I don't remember the name.)
See this look? It's terror!
TraceReading

Unread postby Wraith5 » March 21st, 2014, 1:07 am

Well, 2.5 things this time around:
First, I've found a few (well, more like several) Frozen fics that are rather well done. But most of them could really do with having a beta (or a better beta, if they already have one). That said, they're still pretty well done.

Second, I recently (about a week ago) started reading Air Gear. Anyone have any good fics they would suggest? (I would hope there are fics out there where the physics/science behind some things makes more sense. Same goes for the logic used by characters. The majority of my reactions through the manga so far have been "Boring..." (for significant portions of some backstory elements), "That. Was. AWESOME!", "...wut.", and "...What the fuck?"***) Preferred genres would fall more into adventure/action, maybe a little bit of romance. Things I do NOT want would be smut and highschool fics (related to the 'half' thing I'm going to mention in the spoiler).
As for the 'half,' anyone have ANY clue how one would go about suggesting a filter on FF.N for fic type? I really think they should have some filter option for 'time travel', 'highschool', 'genderbender', 'modern AU' (like for things like Naruto), 'general AU', 'post-canon continuation' (like a fic about events after the end of a series/book/movie), etc.
(I'm bringing this up here because it's kind of relevant to the topic, I think...)
***Let me expand on that... my reaction to EVERYTHING in Air Gear was some level of "What the fuck?", ESPECIALLY chapter 357...

Would like to add a request for recommendations on good Pokémon fics. I've tried the majority of the ones on the 'Recommendation List: Pokémon Category' and really enjoyed The Sun Soul... well, up until the end of chapter 22. Then I just thought things got a little too dark and gritty for my tastes. I really enjoyed the realism of actually letting people and Pokémon actually die, even if it was rather gruesome at times. Even better was how the Pokémon really acted like animals (like Growlithes acting like dogs, complete with growling, barking, etc. rather than "Growlithe. Growwwlll..." You get my point...).
Related to that, I'm pretty sure I remember that exact scene (or something close to that) where Ash found the pack of dead Growlithes (don't remember if he catches a survivor or not), only he actually tells the cops about it when he gets to the next town/city.
Wraith5

Unread postby Aldraia Dragonsong » April 4th, 2014, 6:33 pm

Well, if what you want is real-world-ish Pokémon, this is quite good:
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3535877/1/Sword_and_Shield
It is a series about a policewoman working with a Pokémon to solve crimes; gets a bit weird in the later stories, but it is well-written.
Aldraia Dragonsong

Unread postby Wraith5 » April 4th, 2014, 6:40 pm

Whoops. Probably should've mentioned I've been through the majority of the fics on the 'ultimate recommendations' thread... The Sword and Shield series was nice, but I kind of liked Shades of Violet better. That one was funny.
Wraith5

Unread postby Aldraia Dragonsong » April 10th, 2014, 12:18 am

I agree, Shades of Violet was better.
Aldraia Dragonsong

Unread postby Bluone » June 10th, 2014, 1:33 am

Anyone know of a decent Mass Effect 1 Novelization that is actually complete?
Bluone

Unread postby Wraith5 » June 10th, 2014, 1:52 am

I've got a few 'in progress' ones on my alerts list that are almost novelizations. Meaning, they don't follow the game to the letter. There are other interactions involved (for example, in one of them, Shepard is an engineer, and part of the subplots involves him and Tali building the combat drone), but they just tend to add a little humor or thicken/enhance plot.
As for straight novelizations, nope. And complete? Nope. And I'll be honest, I IMMENSELY prefer Tali as a LI over the others (I just find her too damn cute, or something like that), and I haven't really found any complete ME1 Tali romances I really liked yet.
Wraith5

Return to “%s” General Fanfiction Discussion