Some of My Favorites

Re: Some of My Favorites

Unread postby HypoSoc » January 16th, 2014, 8:54 pm

Gabriel Blessing is awesome. I highly recomend all his work.
High School SAO takes place from after Asia becomes a devil, up to the first ratings game, so basically the second story arc.
Mottos to live by:
Hoc Dictum Videtur Esse Melius In Latine.
Cadimus Concordia.
Nolite Hamena Machinae Timere, Nam Iusta Erunt.
Spoiler: show
This Motto Sounds Better In Latin.
United We Fall.
Do Not Fear The Reign Of Machines, For They Shall Be Just.
HypoSoc

Unread postby gman391 » January 20th, 2014, 7:42 am

Personally I liked Hill of Swords but he quickly went down hill for me with In Flight which I find terrible. Debt of a Sword was also decent. But overall I don't find him that recommendable, but each to their own I guess.
"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby someone » January 25th, 2014, 8:19 pm

Halkegenia Online is great so far.

Basically Louise summons The Seed, which comes down to the entire world of ALFheim Online + players, right when Kirito reaches the end of the World Tree raid. It does a very good job of showing the political aspects of a society of advanced humans that can suddenly use magic being transported into a fantasy magic world and the interactions with the events of FoZ canon.
someone

Unread postby Phht » May 25th, 2014, 10:41 pm

After a long wait, The Accidental Sensei by The Raven Sennin has updated. I do love the look into the Haruno family we get this chapter.

Note: link points to chapter 1, not the latest chapter. I figured it's been so long people would probably need to reread from the start. :-)
Phht

Unread postby MEKristian » July 22nd, 2014, 12:41 pm

Well, I don't know how well everyone else here will enjoy it based on the themes involved (slight yuri and gender identity things), and the fact that it's Precure-based, but I think it's good enough to share so woooooosh:

The leaves that enliven the spirit! Cure Citronella is born! by Ember_Keelty.
MEKristian

AOL: MEKristian

Unread postby Phht » August 5th, 2014, 3:29 pm

A Demon Among Devils

Persona 3/Highschool DxD crossover. Basically, take post-P3 main character, drop him into the other world just pre-series start. Naturally, he gets pulled into the events of the series. I like to think the phrase "hilarity ensues" would work here, but I might just be odd.
Spoiler: show
He lifted the Evoker to the side of his head, the barrel cool and comforting against his skin.

"What are you doing!?" Issei gasped out, his face stretched into an expression of incredulity, "Stop! Put it down! Just because they're strong doesn't mean we can't beat them! Don't give in!" Raynare silenced him by smashing his face against the floor with a swift kick.

The Fallen Angel let out a giggle.

"Yes. Yes. Despair. Tremble. Know that you cannot ever match my power," she licked her lips, "Kill yourself. Die for me."

Still she did not comprehend. Did not understand the meaning. He would show her.

He pulled the trigger. There was an instant of weightlessness. The sudden splash of liquid chill entering his mind. Then the familiar sensation of power emanating from within, seeking a way out, begging for release. He let the feeling flow over him, a thin smile spreading across his features.

And deep within his conscience something came from the nothingness.

I am Thou, and Thou art I.

Its silver armor shone like the sun, gleaming with the exuberance of a freshly born star.

I am the Light of Humanity. I am the Illumination of the Soul.

Steel pinions that were more blades than wings extended over each shoulder, cloaking the figure in a veil of sharpened metal.

From the Fires of Redemption I am Born. From Thy Mind I have Come.

A frowning mask hid its face from view, silver like the plate that covered the rest of its body, but nothing could cover the sheer power that radiated from its floating frame.

I am the Voice of God. I am the Word in His Command.

The masked face tilted, turning to regard them with almost mechanical precision.

I am Metatron.

Then the sword, alight with righteous fire, materialized into its palm.

And I have Come to Deliver Judgment.
Phht

Unread postby Bezzerker » August 5th, 2014, 11:45 pm

I will second the rec for A Demon Among Devils, it is very well written.
Unleash the Elements of Order and Chaos!

A Heart Born Of Darkness,
Bound Within A Body Of Light,
Ignited By A Twilight Forged Soul

What's the Canadian policy on heretics?
Gman391: Turn them into Pop sensations, and then inflict them on the American's for their sins.
Bezzerker

Unread postby jgkitarel » August 6th, 2014, 6:42 pm

Cheerfully thirded and this should be in the Ultimate Collection, if it isn't already. Someone who knows himself as well as Arisato does, as a Persona user, adds an interesting dynamic. The Fallen won't know what hit them when someone who can bring actual gods into play comes looking for them.

EDIT: And just got to Chapter 13, all I have to say is this.

What the fu-, I mean holy shi- *ahem*... Well, time for some good old fashioned ass whoopin to commence, Old Testament Style. Oh, the next chapter is going to be AWESOME! :want:
Also, I have to punch you, jgkitarel, because I spent a lot of time on the nanoha wiki trying to locate information on mages being trained due to being above a certain rank, only to remember and confirm that you were the one that came up with that. - Phht
Don't forget: Mass Effect is powered by magic space rocks. Evangelion is powered by Your Mom.
From his new fic Long Night of the Harvest

My current project on FFN, Mystic Knight Online
jgkitarel

Unread postby Phht » November 25th, 2014, 7:28 pm

So, last night I decided to see if anyone had put an XCOM/Nanoha story up on ff.n. I mean, if I can come up with an interesting-ish idea, surely there's at least 5-10 idiots that slapped something onto ff.n out there, right? Nope. There's XCOM/Sailor Moon, XCOM/Invader Zim, and even XCOM/Minecraft for fucks sakes, but no XCOM/Nanoha. Looked in XCOM/ME and found this.

Psi Effect
A fun-loving asari mercenary finds herself a little in over her head when she ends up abducted by terrifying aliens from beyond the galactic frontier. These asari-like creatures call themselves 'humans.' They seem to be secretly nosing about on the borders of known space, acting through proxies, conducting covert operations, and they've got a deal for an enterprising asari...
Crossover - X-Com & Mass Effect - Rated: T - English - Humor/Sci-Fi - Chapters: 11 - Words: 105,131 - Reviews: 263 - Favs: 882 - Follows: 1,098 - Updated: Nov 22 - Published: Jul 20 - U. Wrex, Daro'Xen, Shepard (F), Shepard (M)

--

Also, if you missed it, A Demon Among Devils is up to chp17. And the ending of 17. Hee. :-D
Phht

Unread postby DIT_grue » November 26th, 2014, 12:06 am

XCom/Mass Effect seems to be fairly common. As for XCom/Nanoha, this updated last night, to many squeals of glee.
DIT_grue

Unread postby Phht » May 25th, 2015, 4:34 am

Checked on The Accidental Sensei, discovered a new chapter (under Hellweek, Day 1 as opposed to a second chapter under The Accidental Sensei). Looks like it's planned for five chapters covering the revised first day, which I can see happening, since the first chapter only covered maybe a quarter of the previous version's chp 2. Lots of expansion of scenes, putting a certain reveal earlier (and clearing up the issue of "if that's the case... why's she so fucked up skill/physical-wise?"). In some cases, this means entire later scenes of the old version are no longer entirely necessary since certain plot points have already happened, but I can't really say it's a bad change. I always kinda wondered about the dynamics between Root and normal ninja in the previous version, given that from one direction, there seems to be an effort by ANBU to keep Root out of things regarding Team 7 like Root was a threat but at the same time the Hokage/Danzo dynamic seemed to be the opposite....

Also, Gate Anchor Syndrome is the best name. Lee has GAS~ :leaving:

New chapter will hopefully be up in the next few days, based on author comments under the chapter.
Phht

Unread postby MEKristian » August 19th, 2015, 3:55 pm

I found an RWBY oneshot I really enjoyed and thought I should share:

Fortune favors the brave.

Which gives an interesting, though likely suuuuuper non-canon look at what could be behind Coco Adel. Also Yuri warning, 'cause that's a thing here.
MEKristian

Unread postby MEKristian » October 26th, 2015, 11:13 am

*grumbles about double posting*

Another Fire Emblem Awakening fic! Another fic with Yuri shipping!

It's Shepard's Pie by Smashing successor! And yes, that title is the wooooorst kind of pun.
MEKristian

Return to “%s” General Fanfiction Discussion