Some of My Favorites

Re: Some of My Favorites

Unread postby Wittgen » December 18th, 2011, 4:47 am

I enjoyed the beginning of that fanfic immensely. I think it jumped the shark eventually. For me, at least, I started rolling my eyes and being bored way too much to keep following it. But I second the rec for the beginning alone.
Wittgen

Unread postby Lthayer3 » December 22nd, 2011, 12:13 am

A Very Naruto Christmas by daniel-gudman

In this Naruto oneshot, Santa Claus is a ninja. Absurdity ensues.
Lthayer3

Unread postby raaaak » December 22nd, 2011, 12:28 am

He's back? How nice. Now I can begin hoping for updates to "The biggest chuunin exam ever".
raaaak

Unread postby Wittgen » December 22nd, 2011, 1:01 am

A Very Naruto Christmas is pretty old. He may have just posted it to fanfiction.net, but he wrote it at least a year ago.
Wittgen

Unread postby Lthayer3 » December 22nd, 2011, 2:37 am

*Google searches* Yeah, seems it was originally posted on TFF in 2009. I'd never seen it before, though, since wading through that forum inevitably leads to headaches and general hatred of humanity for me.

EDIT: And I thought chapter 1 was absurd. Chapter 2 has been posted (so I guess it isn't a oneshot), and it gets even wackier :panic:
Lthayer3

Unread postby Random_fan » January 3rd, 2012, 1:49 am

Random_fan

Unread postby Tsuki » January 3rd, 2012, 3:50 pm

Two of my favorites from NGE: An Unwilling Angel and Everything to me.
Tsuki

Unread postby ShonenHero » January 18th, 2012, 7:53 am

I'm going to rec' a rather hilarious Batman one shot, Bruce Has A Problem by Adrian Tullberg, so that I can segue into recc'ing the awesome joint-written story thread that was inspired by it:

Elseworlds: Bruce Has A Problem

The overall tone of most of the written snippets is very much like Chris Dee's Cat Tales (a thoroughly long batman/catwoman fic), in that it's very much more slice-of-life, romcommy, and character/relationship-driven then typical Batman fare. It also has, imo, one of the best Stephanie Brown/Spoiler/Batgirl's ever written. The crux of the story/thread comes from the fact that Harley Quinn figures out Batman's identity, and then decides to shack up with the big ol' Bat. Hilarity Ensues

Definitely worth the lack of sleep! :z_z_Z:
ShonenHero

Yahoo Messenger: chubbs.panbuukin
AOL: canera411

Unread postby Minion » January 26th, 2012, 2:39 am

Bug Eyed Freak A short one-shot, actually narrated by Shino. Really good interactions between the team.

Hell is for Neji In which we feel sorry for the Hyuuga prodigy, but cannot help but laugh.
Minion

Unread postby Lthayer3 » February 20th, 2012, 3:52 am

Let's see what I've put in my favorites list recently but haven't bothered reccing here...

Actually, I don't remember much about half of the stories I've added in the past three months. Here are the ones I do remember greatly enjoying, at least:

The Queen who fell to Earth by Bobmin356. A crossover between Harry Potter and Pern that has been one of my favorites recently. Not a really high quality story, but it is well written and entertaining enough.

Surrogate of Zero by Charles Bhepin. Crossover between Evangelion and Zero no Tsukaima. Well, I think it's in its second(?) rewrite right now, so it has probably been recced somewhere around here before. Still, one of the best ZnT crossovers.

That Which Holds The Image by TheAngelsHaveThePhoneBox. Crossover between Harry Potter and Doctor Who. Pretty cool story. It probably isn't for people that aren't familiar with Doctor Who, though.

A Change in the Wind by Beatrice Otter. Oneshot crossover between Doctor Who and Mary Poppins.

Making Magick by Mashadar . Crossover between ZnT and Magicka (a rather unique parody RPG). Absolutely hilarious. Some exposure to Magicka is probably required, or you'll be rather lost.

The First Step is Fatal by Qilin. Harry Potter died, became a ghost, and is kinda sorta Neville's familiar or something. Decent story, and I haven't seen anything quite like it before.

Cleaning no Jutsu by Erisah Mae. Naruto story, but focused on an OC. Entertaining and fairly well written.

And one I just picked up earlier today:
The Lives Worth Saving by cywsaphyre. Naruto + time travel. There have been a couple original points to it, but really, it isn't one of the best ones in the genre. I'm just a sucker for any time travel stories with decent writing and nothing too stupid.
Lthayer3

Unread postby Phht » February 20th, 2012, 5:48 am

Cleaning no Jutsu by Erisah Mae. Naruto story, but focused on an OC. Entertaining and fairly well written.

And one I just picked up earlier today:
The Lives Worth Saving by cywsaphyre. Naruto + time travel. There have been a couple original points to it, but really, it isn't one of the best ones in the genre. I'm just a sucker for any time travel stories with decent writing and nothing too stupid.
Because I'm also a sucker for time travel stories that are decently writing and lack extreme stupidity, I have that one open in a tab to read.

I'll just support the rec of Cleaning no Jutsu for now because that first two chapters are gold.

EDIT: Rolled right into the other one after finishing what was available of Cleaning no Jutsu, and have to admit that it IS a decent read. Nothing really extraordinary, but still leagues above some of the crap you find looking for Naruto time-travel fics. At the very least, it's above average.
"BTW, Phht your ability to think of a plot bunny about any situation impresses me, amuses me and horrifies me. All at the same time. Good for you!" - doc.exe
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Naruto RP: Higure Yuuhi (Sp Jonin, age 20, Konoha)
RP Atlas - Naruto RP wiki
Phht

Unread postby Farmer_10 » February 26th, 2012, 12:14 am

Has anyone here been following 'Sage of Toads' on Spacebattles.com? He's been updating his Naruto fic 'And then suddenly, Ninjas!' there. If you have: good. Then you'll understand the context behind this reaction to the latest snippet: :eep Helluva twist.
Sweet lady fate, why dost thou piss on me so?!
Farmer_10

Unread postby jgkitarel » March 4th, 2012, 12:10 am

Higher Learning by Strike Fiss

(Links to chapters are near the bottom of the page)

Eva fanfic that I happened across and spent the past several days reading. No author prepared summary (from before FF.net), but it depicts Eva rather well, starting midway through the anime with a time travel divergence. Despite some grammatical and spelling errors, it is an excellent story.

It is rather lengthy, but certainly worth the time it takes to read (my eyes should stop leaking in the next minute or two...). And this is nothing like Nobody Dies (though I may have still chuckled a couple times). If you don't like the depression of Eva canon, this story is not for you.
And yet, that fic is so awesome. Damn, that's a fic I always end up going back to every few years, always have since I first read it... how long has it been? Over a decade, at least. While it has the depression, the ending is happy, if bittersweet. Well, time to read that fic again. Should only take a week or so.

And Jeconais, at FFA has shown he's still plugging away at a keyboard for more than coding with Hogwarts' Dawn, which is an interesting one to read. It's a rare author who can take a bunch of cliches and come up with an entertaining read without the been there, read that boredom.
Last edited by jgkitarel on April 7th, 2013, 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Also, I have to punch you, jgkitarel, because I spent a lot of time on the nanoha wiki trying to locate information on mages being trained due to being above a certain rank, only to remember and confirm that you were the one that came up with that. - Phht
Don't forget: Mass Effect is powered by magic space rocks. Evangelion is powered by Your Mom.
From his new fic Long Night of the Harvest

My current project on FFN, Mystic Knight Online
jgkitarel

Unread postby Lthayer3 » March 13th, 2012, 12:49 am

The end times are upon us. Why do I say this, you ask? Because I am about to recommend a first person Naruto fanfic with a self-insert OC as the main character. (And I can't believe this is really happening. I can only think of one other first person story and one other self-insert on my favorites list. At least it isn't an unholy trinity with a Harry Potter crossover or something...)

Anyway:
Dreaming of Sunshine by Silver Queen

I could say that this is the best self-insert I've ever read, but that doesn't say much. I could say that it currently has 782 reviews for 43 chapters and over 200k words in about 6 months, but that still doesn't indicate it's a good story. The grammar is well above average, though by no means perfect. The author seems to know what they're doing, has a pretty firm grasp of the characters and setting, can manage some rather impressive world building, and can tell a pretty good story, but it still has some areas that feel flawed. The OC is a fairly likable character, but is still a little sueish. And while the story is entertaining, the divergences from canon remain fairly insignificant overall (up until the chunin exams, at least -- I'm only on chapter 36).

This fic is by no means a masterpiece (and I really doubt if you could find a self-insert fic from any fandom that is). But it is enjoyable, and I can say that I will be looking forward to more updates. And recently, I've found there to be fewer and fewer stories that I can truthfully say that about.
Lthayer3

Unread postby Zankaru Zelladonii » March 18th, 2012, 10:36 pm

Higher Learning by Strike Fiss

(Links to chapters are near the bottom of the page)

Eva fanfic that I happened across and spent the past several days reading. No author prepared summary (from before FF.net), but it depicts Eva rather well, starting midway through the anime with a time travel divergence. Despite some grammatical and spelling errors, it is an excellent story.

It is rather lengthy, but certainly worth the time it takes to read (my eyes should stop leaking in the next minute or two...). And this is nothing like Nobody Dies (though I may have still chuckled a couple times). If you don't like the depression of Eva canon, this story is not for you.
And yet, that fic is so awesome. Damn, that's a fic I always end up going back to every few years, always have since I first read it... how long has it been? Over a decade, at least. While it has the depression, the ending is happy, if bittersweet. Well, time to read that fic again. Should only take a week or so.

And Jeconais, at FFA has shown he's still plugging away at a keyboard for more than coding with Hogwarts' Dawn, which is an interesting one to read. It's a rare author who can take a bunch of cliches and come up with an entertaining read without the been there, read that boredom.
I saw this recommended here way back when and for some reason I never tried it out, have come to learn since then to give any fic recommended here a chance and glad I did, half way through and can't stop. Thanks yall.
"Machiavelli was wrong, it is better to be loved than feared. It is harder to get people to love you, but those bonds are that much harder to break."
I'm a Princeps, the #1 of a Titan, the crazy bastard who wears an angry house to work. - Tomas, Princeps of Warhound Titan Invictorus

~*~ Ultimate Viridian Dream's Fanfic Recommendation List ~*~
Zankaru Zelladonii

Unread postby Phht » April 3rd, 2012, 12:15 pm

So, He Said, She Said was completed a while back. Its sequel was released late March. Only two chapters so far.

She Said

And I have to admit, the end of the first chapter revealed a pretty interesting twist on the Jiraiya training trip.
"BTW, Phht your ability to think of a plot bunny about any situation impresses me, amuses me and horrifies me. All at the same time. Good for you!" - doc.exe
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Naruto RP: Higure Yuuhi (Sp Jonin, age 20, Konoha)
RP Atlas - Naruto RP wiki
Phht

Unread postby ShonenHero » April 4th, 2012, 8:06 am

The end times are upon us. Why do I say this, you ask? Because I am about to recommend a first person Naruto fanfic with a self-insert OC as the main character. (And I can't believe this is really happening. I can only think of one other first person story and one other self-insert on my favorites list. At least it isn't an unholy trinity with a Harry Potter crossover or something...)

Anyway:
Dreaming of Sunshine by Silver Queen

-snip-
Thank you for recommendation Lthayer! Upon binging of this fine fic', I have to say a lot of the main points in your review/summary were fairly spot on, and I too am looking forward to future updates! I really gotta wonder where Silver Queen is going to take the plot of the first movie; so far it's shaping up to be pretty excellent.

:dance
ShonenHero

Yahoo Messenger: chubbs.panbuukin
AOL: canera411

Unread postby MEKristian » July 20th, 2012, 4:03 pm

*looks around* Okay, this is kinda-sorta cheating, but the Doujinshi Higurashi Fortress was to awesome not to mention.

(WARNING: Hosted on Danbooru, which has NSFW ads; the comic itself is perfectly safe though.)
MEKristian

AOL: MEKristian

Unread postby Phht » September 3rd, 2012, 11:47 am

Anbu Training Mission

Naruto makes it to ANBU and gets his first training mission, which honestly explains a lot about that D-rank...
Phht

Unread postby doc.exe » September 9th, 2012, 1:09 pm

So, after the recent developments in the Naruto manga I decided to go and vent some frustration looking for what fanfiction had to say on the matter. I actually found a few good pieces:

Are You Serious? by Imaginarivalued. It may be pure undistilled crack, but damn if it's not actually pretty funny. You almost wish chapter 600 had actually gone like this.

The Path Has Been Set by Lucillia. An interesting theory on what might have happened leading to this plot twist from hell. Not really perfect, but probably better than what we might see in the actual manga.

Dark and Gray and And Then There Would Be Sun by sinemoras09. These two actually milk the revelation for dramatic potential and are very effective at that. It actually makes you feel sorry for the character.

And well, something I realized while reading them is that, putting aside how non-sensical the revelation is, it actually turns Tobi into a better "Evil Counterpart/Shadow Archetype" to Naruto than Pain ever was.
"No te tomes la vida demasiado en serio, al fin y al cabo no saldrás vivo de ella." Les Luthiers

"There are two essential rules to management. One, the customer is always right; and two, they must be punished for their arrogance." Dogbert
doc.exe

Unread postby Phht » September 9th, 2012, 7:02 pm

I should point out Lucilla's The End.

--

doc, "Are You Serious?" was a hilarious read. :D
Phht

Unread postby Jaur » September 17th, 2012, 12:17 pm

Read a decent fic the last week or so:
Martian manhunter

It is a cross between Buffy and Veronica Mars. I'm not really a big fan of either series and haven't really seen more than a few episodes now and then of BtVS (I've a friend who is a fan and social watching is unavoidable from time to time) and the first 3-4 episodes of VM.
Still it was enjoyable if not superlatively so. The story is finished and keeps a good quality all the way through with the exception of a few chapters near the end. When those start (you wont miss it) just flip to the second to last chapter and you are good. Close to a hundred chapters and some 260 000 words waiting to take away your time and it ends before you get bored. (Too many authors just keep going long past where the plot can carry them) Give it a try.
Jaur

Unread postby QuoteMyFoot » April 5th, 2013, 10:35 pm

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4562496/1/1 ... t-Hogwarts

Fred and George Weasley pranks which are actually funny. Seriously, I just spent the past half hour laughing and it's 3 in the morning.
QuoteMyFoot

Unread postby Lthayer3 » April 19th, 2013, 12:53 am

Just discovered Deathly Hallowed by Shujin1

A Harry Potter / Lovecraft crossover.

Lily makes a bargain with Death to protect Harry. She survives and becomes the Witch-Who-Lived, but seems to have accidentally opened a Door that should have remained closed. Enter the Lovecraftian Horrors. Quite well written, ongoing, and is long enough that the overall story isn't too nightmare inducing (yet?).
Lthayer3

Unread postby Phht » January 16th, 2014, 2:56 am

So, this thread has lain dormant long enough! Therefore, I shall recommend something (so as to be on topic and not necro-ing a thread for the hell of it).

Highschool SAO by gabriel blessing.
Rias Gremory wasn't certain what to expect when she found herself in a hospital hearing the wish of a boy dressed all in black. She definitely was surprised by what the price of his wish would be.
Highschool SAO is a crossover between Sword Art Online and Highschool DxD. Set post-S1 SAO and at least part way into S2 of SAO, and I think early on in Highschool DxD? Dunno about that part, never seen/read/whatever any of the series. All information I needed to understand/follow the story was provided in-story.

Elsewhere in this thread are some other fics of his mentioned. Out of 19 stories on his ff.n account, I like all 12 I've read so far. Been a fan of this author since his 90s fanfic works. Among his more recent work is In Flight (Fate/Stay Night / Sekirei crossover) that was completed in December (3 years and one week after it was first published) and Hill of Swords (Fate/Stay Night / Familiar of Zero crossover).
Phht

Return to “%s” General Fanfiction Discussion