Viridian Dreams does Harry Potter fanfiction.

Re: Viridian Dreams does Harry Potter fanfiction.

Unread postby PhoenixFire » October 31st, 2012, 1:04 pm

seconding The-Well-Groomed-Mind

Not complete, but only started past May and apparently pretty regularly updated for it to be so far
PhoenixFire

Unread postby jgkitarel » November 2nd, 2012, 11:46 am

Thirding The Well Groomed Mind.

It's certainly interesting and definitely worth a read.
Also, I have to punch you, jgkitarel, because I spent a lot of time on the nanoha wiki trying to locate information on mages being trained due to being above a certain rank, only to remember and confirm that you were the one that came up with that. - Phht
Don't forget: Mass Effect is powered by magic space rocks. Evangelion is powered by Your Mom.
From his new fic Long Night of the Harvest

My current project on FFN, Mystic Knight Online
jgkitarel

Unread postby DoctorNutter » November 15th, 2012, 3:59 pm

Enthusiastically thirding "The Wizard from Earth". Morta's Priest continues to be a pleasant surprise and excellent addition to the FF community.
DoctorNutter

Unread postby Lthayer3 » December 9th, 2012, 4:58 am

Apparently this isn't the Naruto thread. :ninja:
Last edited by Lthayer3 on December 9th, 2012, 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lthayer3

Unread postby jgkitarel » December 9th, 2012, 5:41 am

Wrong thread, man. That's supposed to be in the Naruto thread.
Also, I have to punch you, jgkitarel, because I spent a lot of time on the nanoha wiki trying to locate information on mages being trained due to being above a certain rank, only to remember and confirm that you were the one that came up with that. - Phht
Don't forget: Mass Effect is powered by magic space rocks. Evangelion is powered by Your Mom.

jgkitarel

Unread postby TraceReading » December 9th, 2012, 2:15 pm

Well considering there have been more than a few crossovers between Potter and Naruto...

ninjas, man.
See this look? It's terror!
TraceReading

Unread postby DoctorNutter » January 24th, 2013, 4:15 pm

Recommending mira mirth's "On the Way to Greatness":
As per the Hat's decision, Harry gets Sorted into Slytherin upon his arrival in Hogwarts - and suddenly, the future isn't what it used to be.
Code: Select all
[url]http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4745329/1/On-the-Way-to-Greatness[/url]
It's definitely one of the best and well thought out Slytherin!Harry stories I've seen.
DoctorNutter

Unread postby jgkitarel » February 19th, 2013, 9:25 pm

You know, considering that it was this forum that got me to read this endlessly enjoyable fic, I'm surprised it's not on the list. Anyway, nominating the Harry Potter x Ranma 1/2 x Sailor Moon Crossover, The Girl Who Loved.
[url=http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5353683/1/The-Girl-Who-Loved]The Girl Who Loved[/url]
It also has a sequel, Violence Inherent in the System, which was also directed to me via this forum... hmm, been a few years, since I was still in the Seattle area at the time.
[url=http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5619147/1/Violence-Inherent-in-the-System]Violence Inherent in the System[/url]

jgkitarel

Unread postby Phht » February 19th, 2013, 11:09 pm

Seconding both Girl Who Loved and Violence Inherent in the System.

Been a while since I read them, but both good stories. How Voldemort is dealt with is... creative. Also, highly amusing.
Phht

Unread postby jgkitarel » February 20th, 2013, 7:45 pm

Indeed, it is creative.

jgkitarel

Unread postby Comosicus » February 28th, 2013, 1:57 pm

I've seen this thing today on 9Gag and I was wondering if anyone made a fiction along this idea? Basically, the prophecy means that death at the end of the other is the only way for either HP or LV to die. Meaning that in canon Harry sacrificed the possibility of getting reunited with his loved ones on death, becoming the Boy Who Lived Forever. Here's the link, in case the hotlinking is disabled.

http://9gag.com/gag/6687487

Comosicus

Unread postby gamebrain89 » February 28th, 2013, 3:34 pm

That's a pretty popular interpretation. I see in most often in fics where they need a reason to hurl Normal!Harry into an alternate dimension. Voldemort knows the whole prophecy, so instead of killing Harry he uses an obscure charm/ritual/Macguffin to toss Harry out of his home reality. Harry Potter and the Distaff Side and Elsewhere, but not Elsewhen, for example, both use that particular idea.
Think Globally. Act Within Local Variable Scope.
<div> Q: How do you annoy a Web Developer? </span>
Kingdom Hearts: Visions of Destiny- The Game So Far...
gamebrain89

Unread postby QuoteMyFoot » March 22nd, 2013, 9:58 pm

I'd like to nominate Becoming Neville by Jedi Rita.
[url=http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2736892/1/Becoming-Neville]Becoming Neville[/url]
COMPLETE Neville's Gran breaks her hip just after his fifth year at Hogwarts, and he must spend the summer with Harry and Remus. They discover a hidden message in the candy wrappers his mother has been giving him, and begin to uncover the mystery.
Rated: Fiction T - English - Mystery/Adventure - Neville L. & Harry P. - Chapters: 34 - Words: 114,850 - Reviews: 1,192 - Favs: 1,311 - Follows: 341 - Updated: 06-07-06 - Published: 01-04-06 - Status: Complete - id: 2736892
Seriously, I cannot stress enough how much of a gem this story is. It's perfectly characterised, practically canon (goes slightly AU towards the end, but in the best of ways) - seriously, I cannot believe no one's stumbled across it before. The main characters are Harry, Neville, Remus and Snape, and there are some AMAZING friendship moments between the four of them (well, not Snape/Harry. They still tolerate each other at best) (yes, this does mean there are Neville/Snape friendship moments, and it's all perfectly in character, I kid you not). Harry acts exactly like you might expect a grieving teenager to do (i.e. occasionally like a prat, but never to an extent when it becomes annoying), and Neville is PERFECT, with that quiet, understated courage which makes him such an amazing badass in the later books but still with the insecurity and uncertainty which we associate with his character - basically the Neville JKR wishes she had time to write, askdjajlkaahkasdjdlkas, GO READ THIS NOW, I LOVE IT SO MUCH.

(Pairings are canon for that point in time, i.e. Ron/Hermione, Dean/Ginny, and allusions to Remus/Tonks. They're not really important though. Did I mention that Tonks shows up in this fic? And she's awesome? Well, Tonks shows up and is awesome, as if you needed another reason to read this.)

Also, seconding "On the Way to Greatness" as for some strange reason it doesn't seem to be up there yet and is easily the best Slytherin!Harry I've read.
QuoteMyFoot

Unread postby TraceReading » March 24th, 2013, 8:12 am

That's a pretty popular interpretation. I see in most often in fics where they need a reason to hurl Normal!Harry into an alternate dimension. Voldemort knows the whole prophecy, so instead of killing Harry he uses an obscure charm/ritual/Macguffin to toss Harry out of his home reality. Harry Potter and the Distaff Side and Elsewhere, but not Elsewhen, for example, both use that particular idea.
Personally, I like to view the prophecy as meaning that neither of them can die unless one of them kills the other, and until that time they're functionally immortal. Spells which would kill them if cast by another would miss or be deflected somewhat, fatal injuries wouldn't happen, etc., the march of time would not have any effect at all but their minds and souls would be consumed with hunting each other down in order to restore the balance, almost to the exclusion of all else...

not sure how workable that is, though.
See this look? It's terror!
TraceReading

Unread postby nemaarpit » March 26th, 2013, 5:10 am

Seconded Becoming Neville by Jedi Rita.
[url=http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2736892/1/Becoming-Neville]Becoming Neville[/url]
nemaarpit

Unread postby jgkitarel » March 28th, 2013, 6:55 am

Thirding Becoming Neville.

jgkitarel

Unread postby DoctorNutter » March 30th, 2013, 11:07 pm

Thirding "Violence Inherent"
Last edited by DoctorNutter on April 5th, 2013, 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
DoctorNutter

Unread postby DIT_grue » March 31st, 2013, 9:48 am

Nominating The Most Dangerous Subject of Them All, a short (just over 200 words) oneshot that suggests a possibly-unique analysis of one corner of the Harry Potter universe. I found it by being pointed at another of the author's oneshots (The Dark Lord's Right Hand) this afternoon, and I've also enjoyed their Saint Potter and its sidestories (a crossover with The Saint books by Leslie Charteris), so I'm looking forward to reading their seventy or so remaining stories as well.
[url=http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8708041/1/The-Most-Dangerous-Subject-of-them-all]The Most Dangerous Subject of Them All[/url]
DIT_grue

Unread postby jgkitarel » March 31st, 2013, 11:54 am

Huh, unexpected, but makes some sense, all things considered. Seconding.

jgkitarel

Unread postby nemaarpit » April 6th, 2013, 6:28 am

Thirding "The Most Dangeroud Subject of them all".

Also nominating "Echoes of Power: Part I Anger", by the author of "Natural Order" . I am pretty sure some of the members have read it, I am very surprised this story is not on the list already. Even a forum search yielded no mention at all :O .
[url=http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3322666/1/Echoes-of-Power-Part-I-Anger]Echoes of Power: Part I Anger[/url]
Harry mysteriously disappeared at the age of six, and then benefited from years of tutoring by an old family friend. With the return of Voldemort, it is finally time for a fifteen-year-old, well-trained, sarcastic and somewhat cynical Harry to take up his place at Hogwarts. Life at Hogwarts, however, is not always what Harry anticipated. There, secrets are told, allies are discovered, and the journey to power begins. Completely AU.
Mind you, there have been no updates for the past 3.5 years, but the author is definitely alive and the story is not abandoned (he made a post on Metafic.com explaining the delay in September).
nemaarpit

Unread postby Kodra » May 30th, 2013, 12:52 am

Recommending The Other Boy Who Lived. I got about 25 chapters into it the other day before I was emotionally exhausted and couldn't continue. Very good story about a Harry who was not marked by Voldemort.

The Other Boy Who Lived Story is complete with a sequel in progress.
Kodra

Unread postby jgkitarel » July 31st, 2013, 10:54 pm

I think you all may find this a good one. A Marauder's Plan is an excellent "what if?" story of Sirius not fleeing the country after PoA and taking matters into his own hands, by thinking things through (*le gasp*) and coming up with a plan.
[url=http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8045114/1/A-Marauder-s-Plan]A Marauder's Plan[/url]

jgkitarel

Unread postby jgkitarel » August 18th, 2013, 12:08 am

Found this from searching and mining TVTropes and read it out of curiosity. Hervald von Einzbern and the Philosopher's Stone by kyugan, who demonstrates his ability to do crossovers again. Even if you have no familiarity with the Nasuverse, you don't need it. It's complete and has a sequel as well.
[url=http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6763234/1/Herwald-von-Einzbern-and-the-Philosopher-s-Stone]Hervald von Einzbern and the Philosopher's Stone[/url]

jgkitarel

Unread postby HypoSoc » August 18th, 2013, 9:43 am

Seconding Hervald. I hope Assassin returns.
Mottos to live by:
Hoc Dictum Videtur Esse Melius In Latine.
Cadimus Concordia.
Nolite Hamena Machinae Timere, Nam Iusta Erunt.
Spoiler: show
This Motto Sounds Better In Latin.
United We Fall.
Do Not Fear The Reign Of Machines, For They Shall Be Just.
HypoSoc

Unread postby Phht » August 19th, 2013, 4:34 am

I'll second A Marauder's Plan.
Phht

Return to “%s” General Fanfiction Discussion