A fun new game: Fanfiction Harakiri, Naruto edition.

Re: A fun new game: Fanfiction Harakiri, Naruto edition.

Unread postby gman391 » July 19th, 2011, 11:45 pm

Sadly Quote despite the lack of Minato's screen time there are authors who bash him heavily. Anyways that reminds me of another fic I read.
Spoiler: show
God of Illusion, Host of the Devil's Arm
Naruto's sister was chosen for the sealing. The Yondaime lived. Despite his talent and hard work, Naruto slowly faded into the background of his sister. He suffered a crippling accident. His desperate attempt to fix himself will change the world.
Which featured more of the same. People will bash anything. Still Farmer's fanfic is just...ehhhh
"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby Phht » July 19th, 2011, 11:52 pm

We need some courageous, possibly CRAZY, person to plumb the depths of ff.net for all the "twin-who-lived" Naruto fics. They then tally the number of TWL fics where the Yondaime survives and Naruto's ignored, Kushina survives and Naruto's ignored, both survive and Naruto's ignored by one/both, etc. Then, should the person survive carrying out this gruesome task, report to us the information.
"BTW, Phht your ability to think of a plot bunny about any situation impresses me, amuses me and horrifies me. All at the same time. Good for you!" - doc.exe
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Naruto RP: Higure Yuuhi (Sp Jonin, age 20, Konoha)
RP Atlas - Naruto RP wiki
Phht

Unread postby Nitramy » July 20th, 2011, 12:07 am

[sarcasm]Twin-Who-Lived? Where have I heard THAT one before?[/sarcasm]

Also...
Sisters Revenge » by <writer> reviews
Sisters Bridgette and Cathrin hear boyfriends Sasuke and Shikamaru call them weak. Hearing similar from their sensei's they decide to run. Beginning a new adventure for them. From new teachers to new loves in Akatsuki! Bridgette/Itachi Cathrin/Kyo :P
Rated: T - English - Romance/Humor - Chapters: 9 - Words: 32,599 - Reviews: 2 - Updated: 7-19-11 - Published: 4-5-11
What.

Just... WHAT.
slowly but surely / the moon / quietly goes to the stars
my fanfiction.net profile
Nitramy

AOL: linuxblacksarena

Unread postby Phht » July 20th, 2011, 1:52 am

[sarcasm]Twin-Who-Lived? Where have I heard THAT one before?[/sarcasm]
Almost certainly the exact same place I yanked it from! :yuush: Since it's practically the same situation, but using a different fandom.

--

If genin like Sasuke and Shikamaru (and a pair of jounin-sensei) consider someone weak, how the hell would they survive as missing nin long enough to meet up with Akatsuki, much less pair up with at least one member of the organization (side note: who the hell is Kyo)? As bonus fail, they used "Bridgette" and "Cathrin" as names in a culture that lacks English names outside of rare exceptions like Rock Lee.

This fic (summary) would be 20% better if they had done something as simple as look up the meaning of the names they were going to use, then find Japanese names that mean about the same. Crazy talk, right? :D
"BTW, Phht your ability to think of a plot bunny about any situation impresses me, amuses me and horrifies me. All at the same time. Good for you!" - doc.exe
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Naruto RP: Higure Yuuhi (Sp Jonin, age 20, Konoha)
RP Atlas - Naruto RP wiki
Phht

Unread postby TraceReading » July 20th, 2011, 12:18 pm

Yeah, putting your OCs in the story as something other than minor side characters is the quickest way to make me not read it.
See this look? It's terror!
TraceReading

Unread postby jgkitarel » July 20th, 2011, 4:00 pm

It can be pulled off, but only when done right.
Also, I have to punch you, jgkitarel, because I spent a lot of time on the nanoha wiki trying to locate information on mages being trained due to being above a certain rank, only to remember and confirm that you were the one that came up with that. - Phht
Don't forget: Mass Effect is powered by magic space rocks. Evangelion is powered by Your Mom.
From his new fic Long Night of the Harvest

My current project on FFN, Mystic Knight Online
jgkitarel

Unread postby Dechstreme » July 21st, 2011, 10:39 pm

Concur.
Dechstreme

Yahoo Messenger: dechstreme@yahoo.com

Unread postby TraceReading » July 22nd, 2011, 11:38 am

Most people, I've seen, fall far short of the doing it right portion.
See this look? It's terror!
TraceReading

Unread postby EdStargazer » July 22nd, 2011, 3:46 pm

The Daddies Trap by ____________
Uchiha Shunsuke & Uzumaki Sousuke live totally different lives. Yet, they have more in common then they know. They share the same parents. This leads to one plan; switch places to get their parents back together! -The Parent Trap: Naruto Style! SasuNaru-
Naruto and Disney mixed? Plus all the gay mpreg you can stand! (or not)
They are characters we all know, and dislike. They are the reason for the story. The reason the plot moves ahead towards its end. No story of any quality can exist without these most important of characters. They are the reason for heroes to exist.
The antagonist, the 'bad guy'

The Villain

One thing you learn as a hero, that once you reach a certain power or ability level, death is merely an inconvenience

There comes a time when even a magical castle loses its luster, when spells and enchatments fail to thrill, when magic itself becomes ... mundane
EdStargazer

Unread postby jgkitarel » July 31st, 2011, 7:18 pm

Most people, I've seen, fall far short of the doing it right portion.
The trick is in how it's built. There was one author who actually wrote a how to in doing so by gradually increasing the screen time of an OC and fooling the reader into thinking they were always important.

It's a fine line, and trying to avoid all OCs can actually ruin a fic as well, as the OC can be used as a Means of Plot on an as needed basis. Hell, some fics only work due to the OC effect (and not necessarily the funny satires).

Probably the one aspect that many readers miss, is that taking an otherwise minor canon character and making them a major player puts said character into the same realm, as the greater depth added, the less like the original canon character they truly are, despite the similarities.
Also, I have to punch you, jgkitarel, because I spent a lot of time on the nanoha wiki trying to locate information on mages being trained due to being above a certain rank, only to remember and confirm that you were the one that came up with that. - Phht
Don't forget: Mass Effect is powered by magic space rocks. Evangelion is powered by Your Mom.
From his new fic Long Night of the Harvest

My current project on FFN, Mystic Knight Online
jgkitarel

Unread postby runsamok » August 1st, 2011, 7:50 pm

Hi there,

The names of the authors of these fics have been removed from the posts in this thread. I also set up spoiler tags for all of the summaries, because some of the information posted here is very.. mature. We do want to keep the forum friendly to those who have younger eyes looking over their shoulders..

Just a reminder, that the Viridian Dreams forum is bashing-lite. Overt personal bashing of other authors is discouraged. Criticism is not prohibited, but keep in mind that it’s better to do so where they can see and respond if they feel the need.
Sincerely,
Lindsey Schocke (aka Runsamok)

"In the penny jar of life, I want to be a quarter."
runsamok

Return to “%s” General Fanfiction Discussion