Harry Potter The Power!

Re: Harry Potter The Power!

Unread postby Jasruv » July 28th, 2010, 12:14 pm

This is an idea I came up with for a 'Harry uses Guns' bunny that never took off.

It is an application of micro-engraved runic ward on bullets that has a minor temporal effect of delaying any magic from affecting the bullet for around a half to a quarter of a second. Of course, a bullet can travel a fairly long distance in that amount of time, almost certainly farther than a personal defence charm is from a caster's body.

So these type of bullets would be able to mostly ignore any kind of purely magical shield or barrier.
I don't believe in overkill, but I do believe in economy of force. Which is why I don't use tactical nuclear devices to get rid of gnats that are annoying me. Well, not often anyway.

Naruto shrugged. "It doesn't have to make sense, we're ninja. We walk on water because it's easier than learning to swim." Vulpine by Saphroneth

Stories do not exist to warn you of monsters. You knew that monsters existed before you could speak, before you could walk. Stories exist to tell you monsters can be defeated.
~Unknown
Jasruv

Unread postby Aldraia Dragonsong » July 28th, 2010, 1:39 pm

Common sense.
Seriously, Voldemort seems to be severely lacking in it. Indeed, Hermione's line "Most wizards haven't got an ounce of logic" in Philosopher's Stone could just as easily be applied to common sense.
Random Scholomance Quote of However Long It Takes Me To Get Bored of the Last One:
“Ancell: respecting personal boundaries to the detriment of his friends since 1993.” ~bookworm702
Aldraia Dragonsong

Unread postby Jasruv » August 6th, 2010, 10:33 am

Maybe the power is the ability to assimilate other types of magics into his own?

I was thinking that at the end of Chamber of Secrets, that the basilisk venom running through his system initiated some changes in Harry's magical core. Normally the venom would have killed him before those changes could have saved him but Fawkes' tears rendered the venom inert before it could kill him.

The changes mature a few hours later and Harry's magic begins to assimilate the magical substances used on him into his own body. Because Fawkes is still alive, he is able to resist the assimilation, however Fawkes becomes Harry's familar instead of Dumbledore's. The basilisk on the other is physically assimilated into Harry's body with his magic forming an interface. Thus, his own genetic code is unchanged.

The assimilation does give Harry new powers and abilities. He gains the ability to fly from Fawkes' own levitation ability( which is why a pheonix can carry such large loads) but although his innate flight is fast and strong, it is very clumsy( which is why Fawkes uses his wings, for additional control ).

The combination of the basilisk's eye powers and Fawke' fire nature gives Harry the ability to shoot eye beams of pure magical heat.

The assimilation of the sheer mass of the basilisk gives Harry immense strength and resistance to both physical and magical harm.

So in essence, Harry becomes a sorta magical kryptonian. I could even see this as being a start for a Justice League semi-fusion, with Harry as Superman, Luna as Zatanna, maybe Hermonine as a magical Batwoma.

Maybe Ron as a Flash analog? Tonks as Manhunter. Ginny as Hawkgirl?

So many possibilities.
I don't believe in overkill, but I do believe in economy of force. Which is why I don't use tactical nuclear devices to get rid of gnats that are annoying me. Well, not often anyway.

Naruto shrugged. "It doesn't have to make sense, we're ninja. We walk on water because it's easier than learning to swim." Vulpine by Saphroneth

Stories do not exist to warn you of monsters. You knew that monsters existed before you could speak, before you could walk. Stories exist to tell you monsters can be defeated.
~Unknown
Jasruv

Return to “%s” General Fanfiction Discussion