Harry Potter The Power!

Harry Potter The Power!

Unread postby Jasruv » June 19th, 2010, 3:24 pm

I just wanted to get some ideas for what 'The power that he knows not' could be other than Dumbles lame let him kill you to kill himself idea.

These can be just about anything from crack! ideas to serious ones from other stories.

First two to start it off.

Elemental Bending from Avatar the Last Airbender - just to be somewhat original, don't make Harry be the reincarnation of Aang. An amusing idea is to make Harry the reincarnation of Katara and Hermonie the reincarnation of Aang. Bending would work without a wand.

Spiral Power from Gurren Lagaan - maybe wands are the work of the anti-spiral?

Not a power but a spell idea, a version of reducto that creates a floating cluster of pink shards that home in on a target and dig into it before exploding. (Inspired by a certain video game)

Didn't see anything like this in the topics so just curious what other peoples ideas for the power are. Maybe we can also put in various ideas for spells and such.
I don't believe in overkill, but I do believe in economy of force. Which is why I don't use tactical nuclear devices to get rid of gnats that are annoying me. Well, not often anyway.

Naruto shrugged. "It doesn't have to make sense, we're ninja. We walk on water because it's easier than learning to swim." Vulpine by Saphroneth

Stories do not exist to warn you of monsters. You knew that monsters existed before you could speak, before you could walk. Stories exist to tell you monsters can be defeated.
~Unknown
Jasruv

Re: Harry Potter The Power!

Unread postby Dechstreme » June 19th, 2010, 3:37 pm

Uh, isn't this better discussed in the Plot Bunnies thread?
Dechstreme

Yahoo Messenger: dechstreme@yahoo.com

Unread postby Chuckg » June 19th, 2010, 3:55 pm

Harry is a phoenix animagus and thus just can't friggin' permanently die? :P
Chuckg

Unread postby Jasruv » June 19th, 2010, 5:07 pm

Uh, isn't this better discussed in the Plot Bunnies thread?
There are a bunch of ideas there but I figured we could use a Harry Potter version of the Jutsu recycling Thread. I'm kinda of hoping this could be something that a person could use for inspiration for HP fanfics or just to help breakup writer's block.

Plus it is kinda tedious to go through 90+ pages to try to find an old HP plot bunny or concept from there.
I don't believe in overkill, but I do believe in economy of force. Which is why I don't use tactical nuclear devices to get rid of gnats that are annoying me. Well, not often anyway.

Naruto shrugged. "It doesn't have to make sense, we're ninja. We walk on water because it's easier than learning to swim." Vulpine by Saphroneth

Stories do not exist to warn you of monsters. You knew that monsters existed before you could speak, before you could walk. Stories exist to tell you monsters can be defeated.
~Unknown
Jasruv

Unread postby serbii » June 19th, 2010, 10:28 pm

I saw a oneshot where the power was Propane, which wasn't commonly used til after Voldy left the muggle world.
Harry's spell missed V, blew up a propane bottle and killed him. XD
serbii

Unread postby gman391 » June 19th, 2010, 10:54 pm

The power Voldemort knows not?

Rods from God
"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby ewuvi » June 19th, 2010, 10:56 pm

Harry is an anguisette.
ewuvi

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » June 19th, 2010, 10:56 pm

The power is... kittens! (Turns out that his new form has a pretty horrific allergy)
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby Dechstreme » June 19th, 2010, 11:07 pm

Voldy: Kitteh's!!! My one weakness!!!
Dechstreme

Yahoo Messenger: dechstreme@yahoo.com

Unread postby Quadhelix » June 19th, 2010, 11:21 pm

I know that it is really cliche, but shouldn't the Power be something along the lines of Love, or compassion, or something that would separate a Villain from an anti-villain or hero?

Oh well, I guess half a gram of anti-matter in a magnetic bottle would do in a pinch. :yarr:
Quadhelix

Unread postby ewuvi » June 19th, 2010, 11:31 pm

I know that it is really cliche, but shouldn't the Power be something along the lines of Love, or compassion, or something that would separate a Villain from an anti-villain or hero?
In YA maybe, but I've seen some pretty sweet subversions of that. In Kushiel's Dart the main character's Power was enjoying pain (both physical and, apparently, psychological to some extent).

Bear with me for a second. It's eventually explained that she's supposed to bring a sort of balance to the world by being able take all of the cruelty done to people in the world.

And man, does she suffer for others.

She gets...violated, sold into slavery, skinned, put in some sort of pyscho prison, thrown off a cliff, and then there's Darsanga. Which just a few words cannot describe.

Anyone else read/watched things where the protagonists 'power that evil knows not' is something more unusual? I know there's gotta be more out there.
ewuvi

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » June 19th, 2010, 11:53 pm

Well, in "Power of Diplomacy" I'm planning on having said "power" be the overwhelming firepower that a group of highly-trained, highly pissed off magical Black Ops squads can bring to bear on child-killing terrorists.
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby gman391 » June 20th, 2010, 12:00 am

Hmmm something more esoteric ehh?

Well let's just invoke the "Human's are Warriors Trope" (Link:Humans Are Warriors)

The power Voldemort knows not is just how bloody stubborn people are when they don't want to die/vicious when it comes to finding new ways to kill.

I'm seeing a Harry creating a sort of warrior society.

Death Eaters are Volde's hand. The new Warrior Society is Harry's.

Still going to prefer an orbital kinetic strike on Little Hangleton.
"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby Darkandus » June 20th, 2010, 12:05 am

Bears.

No seriously, think about it.

He goes to the toilet. Bears.

Opens a door. Bears.

Goes to buy a bottle of milk. Bears.

Plays a game of chess. Bears.

Tries to sleep. Bears.

Is putting on his robe. Bears.

Drinking beer. Bears.

He can't avoid being mauled forever.
Spoiler: show
Darkandus

Unread postby ewuvi » June 20th, 2010, 12:09 am

Ah, but PETA would be on Harry's ass fast and hard.
ewuvi

Unread postby gman391 » June 20th, 2010, 12:10 am

In the words of a friend of mine

F*** PETA
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby Darkandus » June 20th, 2010, 12:11 am

Not if they were man eating bears that would just be shot along with any other bears that were just in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Spoiler: show
Darkandus

Unread postby MrRigger2 » June 20th, 2010, 1:28 am

We only need one bear. Vojtek, the Soldier Bear.

MrRigger
In engineering, the work is only done when there is nothing left to add. In writing, the work is only done when there is nothing left to take away.

Check out Between Magic and Mount Justice
MrRigger2

Unread postby Farmer_10 » June 20th, 2010, 1:42 am

Tch, Vojteks a wuss. Now Nils Olav on the other hand. That's a warrior beast.
Sweet lady fate, why dost thou piss on me so?!
Farmer_10

Unread postby Greybane » June 20th, 2010, 4:48 am

Hey! I am a ardent member of People for he Eating of Tasty Animals!
Odd that. It actually worked.
Greybane

Unread postby Zankaru Zelladonii » June 20th, 2010, 10:30 pm

What about harry's magic being able to take on corporeal form at will? I think it would be interesting for harry's magic to become sentient and help him wield it better and stuff. Kinda like a zanpaktou from bleach except it would be a clone of harry instead of a weapon.
"Machiavelli was wrong, it is better to be loved than feared. It is harder to get people to love you, but those bonds are that much harder to break."
I'm a Princeps, the #1 of a Titan, the crazy bastard who wears an angry house to work. - Tomas, Princeps of Warhound Titan Invictorus

~*~ Ultimate Viridian Dream's Fanfic Recommendation List ~*~
Zankaru Zelladonii

Unread postby bobman10000 » June 20th, 2010, 11:15 pm

What about harry's magic being able to take on corporeal form at will?
My first thought was Harry's magic becoming a somewhat short, fairly snarky person (by which I mean constructively condescending/sarcastic). Bonus points if his magic is majorly into pop culture, and appears as a different character (from tv, books, manga, etc), chibified if they are any bigger than Yoda (who is, of course, its favorite form).
bobman10000

Unread postby Zankaru Zelladonii » June 21st, 2010, 12:12 am

Having dagobah-yoda following harry around with nothing anyone could do to get rid of him would be bloody hilarious.
"Machiavelli was wrong, it is better to be loved than feared. It is harder to get people to love you, but those bonds are that much harder to break."
I'm a Princeps, the #1 of a Titan, the crazy bastard who wears an angry house to work. - Tomas, Princeps of Warhound Titan Invictorus

~*~ Ultimate Viridian Dream's Fanfic Recommendation List ~*~
Zankaru Zelladonii

Unread postby bobman10000 » June 21st, 2010, 7:59 am

Having dagobah-yoda following harry around with nothing anyone could do to get rid of him would be bloody hilarious.
:agree: Particularly if he had a full-size Gandalf beard (which would be nearly as big as him).
bobman10000

Unread postby Jasruv » June 21st, 2010, 11:35 am

What if Harry's power wasn't anything about his personal power, but rather the ability to augment the magical strength of his friends and allies? Puts an interesting spin on how 6 students were able to fight off 12 adult deatheaters in the Dept. of Mysteries.

Voldemort seems to be all about personal power, so that kind of boosting ability to help others would be against his nature. Hence the phrase 'power he knows not'.

~Unknown
Jasruv

Return to “%s” General Fanfiction Discussion