Viridian Dreams FanFiction Recommendation - Doctor Who

Viridian Dreams FanFiction Recommendation - Doctor Who

Unread postby Zankaru Zelladonii » October 20th, 2010, 9:02 pm

Last edited by Zankaru Zelladonii on January 6th, 2013, 3:06 am, edited 29 times in total.
"Machiavelli was wrong, it is better to be loved than feared. It is harder to get people to love you, but those bonds are that much harder to break."
I'm a Princeps, the #1 of a Titan, the crazy bastard who wears an angry house to work. - Tomas, Princeps of Warhound Titan Invictorus

~*~ Ultimate Viridian Dream's Fanfic Recommendation List ~*~
Zankaru Zelladonii

Re: Viridian Dreams FanFiction Recommendation - Doctor Who

Unread postby serbii » October 21st, 2010, 3:35 am

Second A Life Less Extraordinary
That's the only DW fic I know :P
serbii

Unread postby QuoteMyFoot » October 21st, 2010, 3:34 pm

Thirded!

It's not on ff.net, but recommending Season 4 (AU). Warning for slash, but you can skip it and the story is REALLY worth it. This is the season 4 that I wanted. ;-;
QuoteMyFoot

Unread postby Satori » October 21st, 2010, 7:29 pm

Decisions in the dark
The Doctor is attacked by fanatical historians. Rose tells the Doctor that turnabout is fair play. *NOT* a romance or comedy, despite my summary.

Now you see her
... Now you don't. Never did trust those stage magicians. Interesting plot, and very insightful thoughts.

Bleep Encounter
That's the censorship *Bleep*, if you were wondering. A beautiful but oh so heartrending moment between Nine and Donna. makes you wonder how many times this has happened.

Out of the dark
Jenny, doing daddy proud. Hey, if Caan can, why not her?

Little girls are made of
Drabble. Why Sarah Jane never had kids.

Cupcakes and Invasions
Rose has the best birthday ever.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Harriet Jones, former Prime Minister, gives the Doctor his well deserved comeuppance.

A Heartwarming Story In Which The Doctor And Romana Make A Baby
Exactly what it says on the tin.

Five Times the Sonic Screwdriver Proved Worse than Useless
Also exactly what it says on the tin.

18 seconds to make things new again
Okay, so it's unabashed Rose/Doctor, which is a love it or hate it deal, but the introduction captures the doctor *so* well, and the quality is superb. Plus it's one of the (very) few Reunion fics that doesn't feel horribly contrived.

The path of Needles
Explores the whole "Bad Wolf" theme much more completely and competently than the show. Brilliant interplay of folklore, myth and growing up, as Rose sets out into the woods.

Ten Times The Doctor Met Sailor Pluto
Kinda inevitable, don't you think?

Time, Roses, and the Wolf

Ten incarnations of the doctor, ten kisses. Chapter 8 is so beautifully evocative. Hell, Chapter 8 should be canon.

From a World More Full of Weeping

The Doctor get a little help from a legend known for her superb archery. Fix fic, crossover.
Satori

Unread postby Zankaru Zelladonii » October 21st, 2010, 8:24 pm

Holy crap, satori!
"Machiavelli was wrong, it is better to be loved than feared. It is harder to get people to love you, but those bonds are that much harder to break."
I'm a Princeps, the #1 of a Titan, the crazy bastard who wears an angry house to work. - Tomas, Princeps of Warhound Titan Invictorus

Zankaru Zelladonii

Unread postby Random_fan » October 21st, 2010, 8:26 pm

Seconding Five Times the Sonic Screwdriver Proved Worse than Useless and Bleep encounter.
Random_fan

Unread postby Zankaru Zelladonii » October 21st, 2010, 8:37 pm

Is Time, Roses, and the Wolf completed?

Zankaru Zelladonii

Unread postby Satori » October 21st, 2010, 8:47 pm

Is Time, Roses, and the Wolf completed?
Yes.

And yeah, I had that list for a while. ^_^

The Girl on the Horse
Fix fic for "The Girl in the Fireplace"
Satori

Unread postby DIT_grue » October 21st, 2010, 9:04 pm

Not a fandom I look for or know much about, but I occasionally stumble across it. These were the only ones I could recall offhand:

Like an Onion Inside Out
Dr Who/Narnia
Susan and the Doctor.

Journey's Dawn
Young Wizards/Dr Who
Links to the last chapter, but if I remember correctly that's the only complete set of links to all the chapters, and there's at least one break in the chain of 'next chapter' links. I enjoyed it immensely. Something of a fix fic on multiple levels (the summary lists it as post-"Journey's End") and does it right.
DIT_grue

Unread postby Random_fan » October 21st, 2010, 9:14 pm

What If

A collection of oneshots that deal with anything the author feels like.
Random_fan

Unread postby Phht » October 21st, 2010, 10:45 pm

Thirding "Five Times the Sonic Screwdriver [...]" and seconding "Ten Times The Doctor Met Sailor Pluto".
"BTW, Phht your ability to think of a plot bunny about any situation impresses me, amuses me and horrifies me. All at the same time. Good for you!" - doc.exe
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Naruto RP: Higure Yuuhi (Sp Jonin, age 20, Konoha)
RP Atlas - Naruto RP wiki
Phht

Unread postby Satori » October 21st, 2010, 11:15 pm

Not a fandom I look for or know much about, but I occasionally stumble across it. These were the only ones I could recall offhand:

Like an Onion Inside Out
Dr Who/Narnia
Susan and the Doctor.

Journey's Dawn
Young Wizards/Dr Who
Links to the last chapter, but if I remember correctly that's the only complete set of links to all the chapters, and there's at least one break in the chain of 'next chapter' links. I enjoyed it immensely. Something of a fix fic on multiple levels (the summary lists it as post-"Journey's End") and does it right.
Seconding both of these.

Under the Skin
Intern Martha Jones finds herself taking care of a comatose Rose Tyler, daughter of millionaire Peter Tyler.
Satori

Unread postby Zankaru Zelladonii » October 22nd, 2010, 10:39 am

Nominating Psycho Savior, very odd fic. I am not really all that familiar with the ninth so can't tell if it is ooc or not, but was an interesting read.

Also Flowers on Fire.

Finally And I Must Scream. This is pure gold! It feels like someone stuffed my brain full of crazed squirrels. Already read it ten times and still as chilling as the first time. Spoilers for the new season finale.

Also Destroyer of Worlds. One shot of the eighth doctor at the fall of gallifrey.

Zankaru Zelladonii

Unread postby Zankaru Zelladonii » September 28th, 2011, 7:09 pm

Formal Declaration - One Shot
The Doctor pays a visit to Terra.

Disposable - Tomb Raider / Doctor Who - One Shot
The consequences of disrupting an investment scheme.

Zankaru Zelladonii

Unread postby DIT_grue » September 28th, 2011, 8:20 pm

Second Disposable. (And I noticed a typo in the OP: you have "Like and Onion Inside Out" instead of "Like an Onion Inside Out".) A couple of tentative recommendations:

Displacement, Doctor Who/Stargate: Atlantis. It's been years since I read this, and I barely remember anything about it, except how impressed I was at the time.
Code: Select all
[url=http://michelel72.dreamwidth.org/461.html]Displacement[/url]
Near Doctor Experience, Doctor Who/Discworld, pretty much what it sounds like. Not great, and what I mostly noticed when I pulled it out just now was the number of typos.
[url=http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3917271/1/Near_Doctor_Experience]Near Doctor Experience[/url]
DIT_grue

Unread postby bobman10000 » September 28th, 2011, 9:24 pm

I'd suggest changing the link for Journey's Dawn, as it is currently linked to the final chapter rather than the first (something I didn't realize until I finished, very confused as to what happened ).

The link for the first chapter is below:
http://myriadwords.livejournal.com/54567.html
bobman10000

Unread postby DIT_grue » September 28th, 2011, 10:59 pm

Yes, I mentioned that when I recommended it. Unfortunately, unless it's been fixed since the last time I reread the story, linking to the first chapter leaves a reader with no easy way to find the last few chapters.
DIT_grue

Unread postby Zankaru Zelladonii » September 28th, 2011, 11:03 pm

Thanks for the heads up on the errors yall, greatly appreciate it. :biggrin:
I added a note to Journeys Dawn, DIT_grue, it is less convenient to not have the chapter list from the link, but less chance of spoilers for new readers.

New fics to a dead list, so excited, wish I could just say screw it and read the new ones but four hours of sleep each night is not enough anymore. Damn this old, twenty year body!

Zankaru Zelladonii

Unread postby Lthayer3 » April 25th, 2012, 11:19 pm

Thirding:
Journey's Dawn
Ten Times The Doctor Met Sailor Pluto

Recommending:
That Which Holds The Image
Shinji and the Doctor
Fake Psychics and Psychic Paper
A Change in the Wind
Spoiler: show
[url=http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7156582/1/]That Which Holds The Image[/url] - Harry Potter / Doctor Who [url=http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7366113/1/]Shinji and the Doctor[/url] - Evangelion / Doctor Who [url=http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6866931/1/]Fake Psychics and Psychic Paper[/url] - Psych / Doctor Who [url=http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7699632/1/]A Change in the Wind[/url] - Mary Poppins / Doctor Who - [color=#0080FF]Oneshot[/color]
Lthayer3

Unread postby DIT_grue » April 26th, 2012, 10:00 pm

Seconding A Change in the Wind and Shinji and the Doctor. (Was it the Evangelion thread that one was already recommended in, then?)
DIT_grue

Unread postby DoctorNutter » April 27th, 2012, 10:38 am

Seconding "That Which Holds the Image". I really hope the author updates soon, because he's captured the character of 11 perfectly!
DoctorNutter

Return to “%s” General Fanfiction Discussion