Viridian Dreams FanFiction Recommendations - FireFly

Viridian Dreams FanFiction Recommendations - FireFly

Unread postby Zankaru Zelladonii » October 20th, 2010, 9:07 pm

Last edited by Zankaru Zelladonii on January 6th, 2013, 3:06 am, edited 30 times in total.
"Machiavelli was wrong, it is better to be loved than feared. It is harder to get people to love you, but those bonds are that much harder to break."
I'm a Princeps, the #1 of a Titan, the crazy bastard who wears an angry house to work. - Tomas, Princeps of Warhound Titan Invictorus

~*~ Ultimate Viridian Dream's Fanfic Recommendation List ~*~
Zankaru Zelladonii

Re: Viridian Dreams FanFiction Recommendations - FireFly

Unread postby MrRigger2 » October 20th, 2010, 9:42 pm

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4099993/1/Forward - Continuation after the movie, slightly AU in that Book and Wash are alive. Highly recommended.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2857962/1/B ... Green_Eyes - While not my favorite, this is definitely one of the high points. Harry Potter is Serenity's new pilot after River freaks out one too many times.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3455176/1/In_The_Box - None of Mal's jobs ever seem to go right, but at least no one gets shot in this one.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3272960/1/Two_Gorram_Days - Captures the voice of Jayne and River extremely well. Very nice.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3286892/1/Kinship - Sequel to the above fic. Great character interaction.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3291324/1/Bank_Job - Next in the series, this one covers the events of the Firefly comic placed between Objects in Space and the Big Damn Movie.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3368240/1/Miranda - A lot longer than the previous entries in the series, this covers the events of Serenity. Highly recommended.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3833211/1/Prodigal - Last in the Horseshoe Nails series, this one is sadly incomplete, and hasn't been updated since '08. However, it's still solid writing.

MrRigger
In engineering, the work is only done when there is nothing left to add. In writing, the work is only done when there is nothing left to take away.

Check out Between Magic and Mount Justice
MrRigger2

Unread postby Random_fan » October 20th, 2010, 9:44 pm

Seconding Forward.
Random_fan

Unread postby Thozmp » October 20th, 2010, 10:28 pm

Seconding "In The Box"
Thozmp

Unread postby Phht » October 20th, 2010, 10:41 pm

Seconding "Browncoat, Green Eyes"
"BTW, Phht your ability to think of a plot bunny about any situation impresses me, amuses me and horrifies me. All at the same time. Good for you!" - doc.exe
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Naruto RP: Higure Yuuhi (Sp Jonin, age 20, Konoha)
RP Atlas - Naruto RP wiki
Phht

Unread postby Wittgen » October 20th, 2010, 11:30 pm

Thirding Browncoat, Green Eyes. That's one of my favorite fics.
Wittgen

Unread postby Zankaru Zelladonii » October 20th, 2010, 11:33 pm

I have not read any of the others yet, only just started reading fiction from this series yesterday, but I have read browncoat, green eyes. Thought it was okay until I got near the end and-
Spoiler: show
realized that it 'was' just a super!harry playing around in the firefly universe with no antagonist. He turns the parliament into his lapdogs, and cures the reavers with little trouble. The only thing that even comes close to conflict is the cult arming the super-bomb, but super!harry saves the day.
"Machiavelli was wrong, it is better to be loved than feared. It is harder to get people to love you, but those bonds are that much harder to break."
I'm a Princeps, the #1 of a Titan, the crazy bastard who wears an angry house to work. - Tomas, Princeps of Warhound Titan Invictorus

Zankaru Zelladonii

Unread postby Chuckg » October 20th, 2010, 11:40 pm

Seconding everything Dyce wrote. :)

Edit: Which would be 'Two Gorram Days', 'Kinship', 'Bank Job', 'Miranda', and 'Prodigal'.

Also, 'A Life Less Extraordinary'.
Last edited by Chuckg on October 20th, 2010, 11:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Chuckg

Unread postby MrRigger2 » October 20th, 2010, 11:44 pm

Yeah, that was what bugged me about Browncoat, Green Eyes as well. Well put, Zankaru, I hadn't really been able to put it into words before.

MrRigger
In engineering, the work is only done when there is nothing left to add. In writing, the work is only done when there is nothing left to take away.

MrRigger2

Unread postby Wittgen » October 21st, 2010, 12:05 am

It's a humor fic. It's not about Harry's struggle against anyone. It's about Harry and the Firefly crew having hilarious antics. Why the hell would it need an antagonist? Well, whatever floats (or in this case sinks) your boat.
Wittgen

Unread postby serbii » October 21st, 2010, 3:19 am

Will third A Life Less Extraordinary
serbii

Unread postby Zankaru Zelladonii » October 21st, 2010, 7:35 am

It's a humor fic. It's not about Harry's struggle against anyone. It's about Harry and the Firefly crew having hilarious antics. Why the hell would it need an antagonist? Well, whatever floats (or in this case sinks) your boat.
Well I went into the fic after seeing this label:

Crossover - Harry Potter & Firefly - Fiction Rated: M - English - General/Action/Adventure -......

I go into every fic expecting a serious story, unless it is mentioned somewhere that it is a crack or humor fic, which this one does not, so I am sticking with my belief it is just a mediocre story. There were some hilarious moments though, I even cried laughing at one part, we are talking about nonjon after all.

Nominating Still Flying.

It takes off from the end of season one and goes through two more seasons of what the show might have been like. Plot from the movie is worked into it.

Nominating Lost in the Woods

Star Trek (TNG) / Firefly crossover, one of the best fics I have read.

Zankaru Zelladonii

Unread postby DIT_grue » October 21st, 2010, 7:58 pm

Enthusiastically seconding Lost in the Woods, cautiously thirding all the stories by Dyce (it's been what, more than a year since I read them and I never re-read them but I think I remember them being fairly good).
DIT_grue

Unread postby Stormseed » October 21st, 2010, 11:05 pm

Stormseed

Unread postby Satori » October 21st, 2010, 11:33 pm

Rec'ing my own piece would just be bad form, so i'll rec Jedibuttercup's:

Good things come in fives has two brilliant firefly pieces. The first of which made me cry: "Five Things River Tam Wishes She Didn't Know."

Oooh, and another:

Of Kings and Hairy feet

A game of make-believe on board the Serenity.
Satori

Unread postby Random_fan » October 22nd, 2010, 1:14 am

Good things come in fives has two brilliant firefly pieces. The first of which made me cry: "Five Things River Tam Wishes She Didn't Know."
Seconding both of these.

Also the stargate fanfics there are just as good if anyone else is a fan.
Random_fan

Unread postby Zankaru Zelladonii » October 22nd, 2010, 7:06 am

Nominating No Good Deed, it is a sequel to Lost In the Woods.

Zankaru Zelladonii

Unread postby EdStargazer » October 22nd, 2010, 1:02 pm

While not needed, I would also recommend for Miranda
They are characters we all know, and dislike. They are the reason for the story. The reason the plot moves ahead towards its end. No story of any quality can exist without these most important of characters. They are the reason for heroes to exist.
The antagonist, the 'bad guy'

The Villain

One thing you learn as a hero, that once you reach a certain power or ability level, death is merely an inconvenience

There comes a time when even a magical castle loses its luster, when spells and enchatments fail to thrill, when magic itself becomes ... mundane
EdStargazer

Unread postby Greybane » October 26th, 2010, 2:18 pm

Seconding "Forward" and "Five Things River Tam Wishes She Didn't Know."
Odd that. It actually worked.
Greybane

Unread postby Zankaru Zelladonii » October 26th, 2010, 9:11 pm

I am seconding Into the Black, good so far.

Zankaru Zelladonii

Unread postby Satori » October 27th, 2010, 2:07 am

Seconding No Good Deed and Lost In the Woods
Satori

Unread postby Alotua » December 7th, 2010, 6:10 am

Some more suggestions:
Code: Select all
[url=http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2477346/1/Beyond_the_Black]Beyond the Black[/url]
Beyond the Black - Death: the act of dying, extinction, destruction. To die is not what it seems.
[url=http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3395132/1/Children_of_the_Cobb]Children of the Cobb[/url]
Children of the Cobb - Jayne Cobb wh*r*d three laps around the 'verse. His nine illegitimate children showing up on Serenity don't really surprise anyone aside from him. But why are the kids on the run from the Alliance? What will they mean for the Second Unification War? AUish
[url=http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2473235/1/A_Boy_Named_Sue]A Boy Named Sue[/url]
A Boy Named Sue - After OIS, Jayne's plans to get rid of the moonbrained girl ends in many an unexpected consquence. This is a miniepic to link Jayne and River yes its long, but stick with. Complete!
Alotua

Unread postby Greybane » December 9th, 2010, 9:49 am

http://www.fireflyfans.net/fulluserblue ... heAlliance

This is a series of three fics, with the last being incomplete. The first is called Kaylee's Lament, the next...you know, just check them out. Good for a few days reading, quite funny in places, and mostly canon. The first two are between the series and the BDM, the last post Miranda. Several mature bits are mentioned, so probably a high T rating if on FFnet.
Odd that. It actually worked.
Greybane

Unread postby MrRigger2 » December 9th, 2010, 11:46 am

Definitely seconding. I used to have those links, but lost it when I moved to my current computer. The first two are definitely worth reading, the third depends on if you go stark raving mad over deadfics.

MrRigger

MrRigger2

Unread postby Random_fan » December 9th, 2010, 8:01 pm

Thirding the first two, haven't read the third one.
Random_fan

Return to “%s” General Fanfiction Discussion