Naruto: White Rain Discussion thread

Naruto: White Rain Discussion thread

Unread postby ShonenHero » March 22nd, 2011, 2:56 am

I thought I'd whip up a discussion thread for White Rain, since I noticed a few people here seem to be following this story.

Oh, and if you're looking for the most recent chapter for White Rain you can find it here
ShonenHero

Yahoo Messenger: chubbs.panbuukin
AOL: canera411

Re: Naruto: White Rain Discussion thread

Unread postby QuoteMyFoot » March 22nd, 2011, 10:10 am

I spent most of Monday reading this fic. I cannot believe I missed it before. It is so good. Seriously, Zapenstap writes characters I only DREAM of being able to write one day. Everyone is perfect. And then Zap adds a genuinely intriguing, realistic plot on top of that? FFFFFFF-- I am SO jealous.

Okay, fangirling over. Now: who else is SERIOUSLY looking forward to the match vs. Yukio's team? I think Itachi is going to activate the Sharingan - well, I think he has already, but I think it's going to be recognised this time. If he doesn't have it, he at least has something very much like it. Sasuke's comment with the obstacle course? HMMM.

Also, it's nice to see some evidence of Hard Work Actually Works, even in a gifted character.
QuoteMyFoot

Unread postby Nitramy » March 22nd, 2011, 10:36 am

No matter the outcome, I am so looking forward to that team match as well - and the way Team Sakura is going to patch things up so close to the match... the wait really has me on tenterhooks.
Spoiler: show
That and Sakura's pregnancy, which is an even bigger set of problems in and of itself... even if it's not yet showing, the first part of Chapter 15 had this "Shin Ringetsu" vibe all over it.
Someone should translate this to Japanese and let Kishimoto have a look at it. I am pretty certain that he will be blown through the back wall of his reading room upon reading this.
slowly but surely / the moon / quietly goes to the stars
my fanfiction.net profile
Nitramy

AOL: linuxblacksarena

Unread postby Lthayer3 » March 22nd, 2011, 11:16 am

I started it probably a year or more ago, but I dropped it after a few chapters. Looking through it, it seems I got to around to maybe the beginning of the fourth chapter before giving up on it, and I'm pretty sure it would go about the same if I tried reading it again now. Very few authors (in any verse) manage to create convincing OC main characters and incorporate them in a manner that I find tolerable (JFalcon (writer of New Blood) is the only one I can think of offhand).

Skimming through it, I do think the OCs are well written, but I just don't feel a connection with them. The way the story is told just makes them (really, all the characters) feel distant. Either the OCs need as strong a set of personalities as the majority of the Naruto cast, or the point of view needs to be changed somehow. As it is, to me, the story isn't engaging, and it feels uncomfortable to read, if that makes sense. =/

I'd post a review, but it would basically amount to not liking Zapenstap's style of writing. And considering that I think this feeling is about the same as what I got when I tried a Mercedes Lackey book a month or two back (probably my fifth attempt at one of her books -- you'd think I'd learn that I don't like her style by now), it's probably just an unconscious preference on my part, rather than anything deeply wrong with the story...
Lthayer3

Unread postby ShonenHero » March 22nd, 2011, 1:08 pm

I can understand that. Tried to get my friend to read similar first-person books, and he just wasn't having it. Some people just can't get into them. Nothing wrong with having a particular preference. :)

As for characterization? I don't think they're weak so much as taking a bit to build up and being a tad subtle; there is a definitely feel I get from Itachi Jr. He's an introvert, maybe even a bit like Sasuke pre-massacre, with him being very determined to prove to those he cares about that he's meant to be there. Going back to reread the first chapter, I can see why, but during the first few chapters I only had a vague idea about him.

And heck yes am I looking forward to that battle! Though mostly I'm just wondering how Sakura's team is going to cope, what with
Amaya nearly sleeping with Itachi. I suspect that dinner with Lucia will either make 'em or break 'em.
ShonenHero

Unread postby QuoteMyFoot » March 22nd, 2011, 7:12 pm

I just wonder how Haro is going to react to news of that (since I'm pretty sure Amaya didn't tell him at that training session)... oh boy, that might not be fun.

I'm also interested in the result of
Lucia's talk with Ibiki.
You just gotta wonder what Naruto's going to get out of that.

I agree about the subtle characterisation, btw. That's what I love about Zap's characters, since I tend to try and imply the nuances of a character instead of stating them - but each their own and all that.

...goddamn where is chapter sixteen ;-;
QuoteMyFoot

Unread postby jgkitarel » March 22nd, 2011, 7:52 pm

On the intrigue side, I wonder how Naruto will react when Kakashi gets back. While I can see Lucia didn't lie, with her talk with Ibiki, plus what Kakashi will learn, will let him know just how dangerous this woman is. Frankly, this bit of intrigue will be interesting, to say the least.
Also, I have to punch you, jgkitarel, because I spent a lot of time on the nanoha wiki trying to locate information on mages being trained due to being above a certain rank, only to remember and confirm that you were the one that came up with that. - Phht
Don't forget: Mass Effect is powered by magic space rocks. Evangelion is powered by Your Mom.
From his new fic Long Night of the Harvest

My current project on FFN, Mystic Knight Online
jgkitarel

Unread postby ShonenHero » March 23rd, 2011, 1:29 am

What I want to know is what promise is Lucia holding to her son, that they apparently made. So many questions still not answered. The suspense is killing me. D:
ShonenHero

Unread postby jgkitarel » March 23rd, 2011, 12:59 pm

Wouldn't surprise me if it were a promise of vengance, but I wouldn't be disappointed if it was something suitably Byzantine, which would fit this story.
Also, I have to punch you, jgkitarel, because I spent a lot of time on the nanoha wiki trying to locate information on mages being trained due to being above a certain rank, only to remember and confirm that you were the one that came up with that. - Phht
Don't forget: Mass Effect is powered by magic space rocks. Evangelion is powered by Your Mom.
From his new fic Long Night of the Harvest

My current project on FFN, Mystic Knight Online
jgkitarel

Unread postby Dechstreme » May 6th, 2011, 6:35 pm

One thing that bothers me about the fic so far is how Zapenstaf equates the Narutoverse Kunai and Shuriken with real world versions and writes they aren't for killing... when we have quite a few situations in the canon where people are killed due to Kunai stabs. Yeah.

On a more possitive note, I really hope to see more of the developing situation between Sasuke and his niece and Nephew.
Dechstreme

Yahoo Messenger: dechstreme@yahoo.com

Unread postby Nitramy » May 28th, 2011, 2:28 am

White Rain has UPDATED to chapter 16!

Oh, Sasuke, you cad.
Nitramy

Unread postby ShonenHero » May 28th, 2011, 5:11 am

What? But so soon! I haven't had time to prepare! :panic:
ShonenHero

Unread postby Nitramy » July 2nd, 2011, 7:19 am

GENTLEMEN.

Chapter 17 is up.

Biggest bomb dropped at chapter's end so far.
Rina: I can show you how to do the Chidori.
:yuush:
Nitramy

Unread postby QuoteMyFoot » July 2nd, 2011, 11:14 am

IS THIS A WHAM LINE OR IS THIS A WHAM LINE, GUYS?! Omg I am so pumped, I can't believe that chapter ended there fffff.
I kinda -hope- that Itachi will recognise he's not ready for Chidori yet and say so, but I think what he'll actually do is go 'wait, really?' and... yeah, I think the discussion of the damage Itachi did to himself trying Chidori last time is going to be foreshadowing for chapter 18... D:
On another note, Sasuke continues to be frustrating, but at least he's a bit better than last chapter and, well... he's being frustrating in a sympathetic way at least.

Itachi's speech to Sasuke during their training also counts as a Crowning Moment of Awesome for him, imo.
QuoteMyFoot

Unread postby Dechstreme » July 2nd, 2011, 12:06 pm

GENTLEMEN.

Chapter 17 is up.

Biggest bomb dropped at chapter's end so far.
Rina: I can show you how to do the Chidori.
WHAT.

THE.

FUDGE? :eep
Dechstreme

Unread postby ShonenHero » July 3rd, 2011, 5:14 am

This must be like my fanfic Christmas or something, what with Transistor AND White Rain updating on the same day. *goes to read*
ShonenHero

Unread postby Zankaru Zelladonii » July 3rd, 2011, 6:40 am

*mindless gibbering of joy*
"Machiavelli was wrong, it is better to be loved than feared. It is harder to get people to love you, but those bonds are that much harder to break."
I'm a Princeps, the #1 of a Titan, the crazy bastard who wears an angry house to work. - Tomas, Princeps of Warhound Titan Invictorus

~*~ Ultimate Viridian Dream's Fanfic Recommendation List ~*~
Zankaru Zelladonii

Unread postby ShonenHero » July 3rd, 2011, 7:21 am

So, I've finished the latest chapter and with that I have to say this fic is one of my all time favorite Naruto fanfics, if not all time favorite fanfic. Zap's really got a handle on the central themes of her story, and it shows beautifully throughout. I love the whole 'pursuit and hope for change versus the reality of past sins' theme, and how its effectively underscored through a lot of the story's central conflicts. I can (though I don't want to) wait for the next chapter.
ShonenHero

Unread postby Dechstreme » July 3rd, 2011, 4:19 pm

*mindless gibbering of joy*
'

You okay man? Maybe you should take something for that gibbering syndrome. :biggrin:
Dechstreme

Unread postby Nitramy » October 7th, 2011, 7:00 am

Chapter 18 is up, guys.
What now, Itachi?

And Rina is f**kawesomesauce.
Also, we go from wham line to wham ending.

Nitramy

Unread postby Zankaru Zelladonii » October 7th, 2011, 6:24 pm

That was amazing! Yosh! :yuush:
"Machiavelli was wrong, it is better to be loved than feared. It is harder to get people to love you, but those bonds are that much harder to break."
I'm a Princeps, the #1 of a Titan, the crazy bastard who wears an angry house to work. - Tomas, Princeps of Warhound Titan Invictorus

Zankaru Zelladonii

Unread postby Nitramy » January 2nd, 2012, 11:18 pm

NEW CHAPTER!

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4237746/19/

All I can say is...

[Keanu Reeves]Whoa.[/Keanu Reeves]

Nitramy

Unread postby Zankaru Zelladonii » January 3rd, 2012, 1:13 am

It just got real!

Zankaru Zelladonii

Unread postby QuoteMyFoot » January 3rd, 2012, 9:51 am

For all that Rina is awesome, she is still only 8. The poor girl, I feel really sorry for her.
I'm feeling kinda frustrated now that we don't have any Rina POV -- it may just be because I haven't read this in a while but deciding to leave Konoha after her brother injured himself seemed a bit too sudden. Then again it seems like the Grass ninja have been manipulating her for a while too. Poor Rina. ;-; At least Yukio managed to redeem himself somewhat there, I think (even if he did get fooled by the genjutsu of an academy student, whoops). I'm really interested to see what sort of interaction he'll have with Itachi's team after this.

ALSO LUCIA JUST COME OUT AND TELL US YOUR SECRET ALREADY I have been dying to know for months now. If it's something to do with an inheritance, I think Lucia is related to a member of the daimyo's court or something...? Possibly to the daimyo himself.
QuoteMyFoot

Unread postby ShonenHero » January 3rd, 2012, 7:42 pm

Ugh, I know right? I've never wanted a reveal more in a fanfic then I do for Lucia's secret, but I digress. Really loved Yukio's POV in this chapter, and Naruto's approach with him. It did not go at all like I expected, and it's very telling of Naruto's leadership style and how much he's thinking ahead when he reaches for the olive branch instead of the club when dealing with Yukio.

Also, d'aww on Naruto/Hinata fluff. Sometimes the way the pairing is portrayed in fanfic isn't always the most realistic or healthy, but Zapenstap seems to have avoided all those pitfalls by writing a very low-key, mature relationship/romance between the two that's very open and full of warmth. Their relationship in White Rain reminds me strongly of the Keichii and Beldandy's relationship in Ah! My Goddess!

Oh, and we finally get a Title Drop! :biggrin:
ShonenHero

Return to “%s” General Fanfiction Discussion