~*~ Ultimate Viridian Dream's Fanfic Recommendation List ~*~

Re: ~*~ Ultimate Viridian Dream's Fanfic Recommendation List

Unread postby jgkitarel » October 7th, 2013, 7:10 am

Well, another deconstruction for your perusal, though the format is certainly different than most fics. Diamond in the Rough, by Spaztique, which was written as a particularly brutal deconstruction of the Gappy-Stu type of Touhou fics, particularly those by Colonel Diamondback. It's a Walfas type, so it's not the standard fic.

Keep in mind that as deconstructions go, it's pretty brutal once it hits the deconstruction phase about halfway through the series.
Code: Select all
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjKRqqJLGEk]Diamond in the Rough[/url]
Also, I have to punch you, jgkitarel, because I spent a lot of time on the nanoha wiki trying to locate information on mages being trained due to being above a certain rank, only to remember and confirm that you were the one that came up with that. - Phht
Don't forget: Mass Effect is powered by magic space rocks. Evangelion is powered by Your Mom.
From his new fic Long Night of the Harvest

My current project on FFN, Mystic Knight Online
jgkitarel

Unread postby Zankaru Zelladonii » October 7th, 2013, 7:02 pm

List updated and slightly more organized. One day the chaos left-over from copy-pasting all the list together will be defeated, but not this day!

Wraith5, thanks for the recommendations! I would really appreciate it if you put any more into code tags though, thank you. (Highlight the etc and hit the Code button, or [code] ... y and Mind for My Little Pony. Very enjoyable so far.
Summary:
Spoiler: show
Pincer is a changeling, a proud soldier of Queen Chrysalis. After the failed invasion of Canterlot, he finds himself trapped and at the mercy of Princess Celestia's Royal Guard. Believing that Celestia sees his species as nothing but soulless monsters, he prepares himself for the worst. The weeks crawl by, marked by an endless series of questions he will not answer for fear of endangering his friends and family at The Hive. As his nerves wear down and his interrogators learn just how ruthless he thinks they are, they have nothing to report but his belief that they will kill and destroy his kind without mercy.

Celestia steps in to prove him wrong, and what he learns leaves Pincer questioning everything he has ever known — but also gives him hope for what he'd never thought possible.
"Machiavelli was wrong, it is better to be loved than feared. It is harder to get people to love you, but those bonds are that much harder to break."
I'm a Princeps, the #1 of a Titan, the crazy bastard who wears an angry house to work. - Tomas, Princeps of Warhound Titan Invictorus

Zankaru Zelladonii

Unread postby Wraith5 » October 7th, 2013, 7:38 pm

Oops, my bad. :doh I'll try to remember that in the future...

Oh, and since I forgot to include this, The White Queen is incomplete and on a fairly frequent update schedule (well, for now at least) and Dark Angel of Freedom is incomplete and on hiatus. The author has stated that she is working on re-writing the beginning to make it work better.
"Boss, why is it that you always say 'I've got a plan' like a terrorist says 'I've got a bomb'?" - Garrus Vakarian in Razor's Edge: Requiem (a Mass Effect fan-fic)
"Sometimes I stop to think and forget to start again." - t-shirt
"I don't understand, but I disagree." - my older sister misquoting my younger brother ("I understand, but...")
"Come to the Darkside; We have bacon." - t-shirt
Wraith5

Unread postby Wraith5 » October 11th, 2013, 10:43 am

Well, another set of three Gundam fics to add. One thing to note: These fics are SIGNIFICANTLY darker than any other fics I've read (let's just say this guy knows how to do torture QUITE well) and the good guys definitely don't get 100% victories (some of the victories come with a higher cost for the good "good guys" than a victory for the "bad guys" would. (Sounds a bit more confusing than it actually is.) The trilogy is given the title "The Golden Age" for reasons that become MUCH more apparent in the second and third fics. Oh, and even though all of these fics are rated T, an M rating might be more appropriate... actually, I think these three fics should all be rated M...

Setting description: Takes place post-Gundam SEED. Gundam SEED: Destiny does NOT occur, but characters from Destiny are used in Eden Disaster and The Reclamation War.
Author: Maderfole.
Well, the first fic is TGA: Chaotic Cosmos. 107 chapters long, 1,032,584 words (counting Author's Notes).
Book 1 of The Golden Age trilogy. Peace is attained, but even worse chaos lurks just below the surface, waiting to consume the entire Seed cosmos in a war to dwarf all previous wars. The beginning of the epic story. FINISHED. Continued in Eden Disaster.
Second is TGA: Eden Disaster. 82 chapters long, 1,175,347 words (counting Author's Notes).
Book 2 of The Golden Age trilogy. If you had the ability... would you return Earth to Eden... against the will of its people? Is your Eden their Eden? What makes paradise be paradise? Sequel to Chaotic Cosmos, complete. Continued in The Reclamation War.
Wraith's note: please note, this version of "Eden" does NOT match up with the Biblical Eden...
And finally, TGA: The Reclamation War. Currently 79 chapters long, 1,333,064 words (counting Author's Notes).
Book 3 of The Golden Age Trilogy. How far would you got to reclaim what was lost? What would you do to get your old life back? The culmination of the epic story. Over two million words of history leading in, and at least a million more to go.
[url=http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2754991/1/The-Golden-Age-Chaotic-Cosmos]TGA: Chaotic Cosmos[/url] - complete [url=http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4809432/1/The-Golden-Age-Eden-Disaster]TGA: Eden Disaster[/url] - complete [url=http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6024259/1/The-Golden-Age-Reclamation-War]TGA: The Reclamation War[/url] - incomplete
One last thing to note, Maderfole (the author) is a Naval Nuclear Engineer (a Reactor Operator), so he will be silent for extended periods of time every once in a while. While it has been about 6 months since his last update, his chapters are MASSIVE.
And a fun factoid for you... for those who have read all three stories from start to current point (2.6 million words, plus or minus a few tens of thousands), that is the equivalent of about 25 paperback novels of 300-400 page length. Hoowah.
^That is from the end of the A/N at the top of chapter 33 of Reclamation War. If you want proof, follow the link (quote source is the link).
"Boss, why is it that you always say 'I've got a plan' like a terrorist says 'I've got a bomb'?" - Garrus Vakarian in Razor's Edge: Requiem (a Mass Effect fan-fic)
"I don't understand, but I disagree." - my older sister misquoting my younger brother ("I understand, but...")
Wraith5

Unread postby jgkitarel » October 12th, 2013, 7:37 am

So, an engineer who works on one of the Atomic Tea Kettles writes in his spare time, huh? Makes sense, when he's not on shift or watch, you need something to do on your spare time at sea.
Also, I have to punch you, jgkitarel, because I spent a lot of time on the nanoha wiki trying to locate information on mages being trained due to being above a certain rank, only to remember and confirm that you were the one that came up with that. - Phht
Don't forget: Mass Effect is powered by magic space rocks. Evangelion is powered by Your Mom.

jgkitarel

Unread postby jgkitarel » October 16th, 2013, 12:19 am

I know that this has been mentioned in the forums before, so making sure that White Devil of the Moon is recommended. It's a MGLN X SM Crossover that really messes with SM canon without completely destroying it.

Also, how did I forget this one? Giving and enthusiastic recommendation for Blood that Flows, a MGLN X Slayers crossover that actually manages to cross over both series rather well. Done by Nanya, the author of the Relationships series. Keep in mind that the FFN version is currently over 300 chapters long.

Hmm, better add them.

Relationships
Family
Pregnancy

A what if set in the same series (non-canon to the series):
Pain (Warning, Dark)

And a series set after the initial three called Day in the Life.
[url=http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5943503/1/The_White_Devil_of_the_Moon]White Devil of the Moon[/url] [url=http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6550856/1/Blood_That_Flows]Blood that Flows[/url] [url=http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5319721/1/Relationships]Relationships[/url] [url=http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5322290/1/Family]Family[/url] [url=http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5331980/1/Pregnancy]Pregnancy[/url] [url=http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5384255/1/Pain]Pain[/url] [url=http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5335063/1/Day-in-the-Life]Day in the Life[/url]

jgkitarel

Unread postby Zankaru Zelladonii » November 2nd, 2013, 9:47 pm

- Complete

Updated list.

Sorry on long update, I discovered FIMFiction and have not put down my kindle but to work and sleep. (I ate while reading)

Recommending the following fics for My Little Pony:

One of my favorite time-travel fics so far, still in progress.
My Choices: Twisted Tales Through Time
On secret assignment from Princess Celestia herself, Twilight investigates a powerful magical artifact for clues to the mystery of Luna's transformation in the evil Nightmare Moon. Incautious use of the artifact sends Twilight hurtling back in time. Can Twilight discover what caused Luna's transformation? And will she ever make it home again?
It Is My Fate to Enter Every Door
Blythe Hyacinth Pie, Blinks to her family, makes her annual pilgrimage to Tartarus to see her grandparents and hopes for their redemption.
Asylum
When Twilight Sparkle slipped beneath the covers last night, everything had been fine. She had friends whom she loved, a teacher she adored, and a bright future ahead of her. But when she woke up, her blankets and quilts had been replaced by hospital gowns and padded restraints.
Everything is wrong and nothing makes sense; even her friends have changed. The doctors, they keep telling her that she is sick, that none of it was real and that it was all in her head. Yet she remembers a life far beyond the hospital walls. She couldn't have made it all up on her own. They must be lying… right?
Arachnophobia
Spiders. Oh, how I hate spiders. And yet Luna insists on keeping one as a...pet.
The Numbers Don't Lie
When the Cutie Mark Crusaders dig up an ancient magical artifact, they unleash a spell on the town that allows everypony to see a "lie meter" floating above each other's heads. While attempting to solve the mystery, Twilight Sparkle has to analyze the tenuous balance between friendship and honesty. She doesn't like what she finds.
Mood Wings
Mood Wings - Observations on Pegasus Body Language. When Twilight Sparkle finds this book, she discovers an entirely new field of research. The secrets of pegasus wings lie before her, and she insists on making her own observations on the matter. How? Field research, of course.
"Machiavelli was wrong, it is better to be loved than feared. It is harder to get people to love you, but those bonds are that much harder to break."
I'm a Princeps, the #1 of a Titan, the crazy bastard who wears an angry house to work. - Tomas, Princeps of Warhound Titan Invictorus

Zankaru Zelladonii

Unread postby jgkitarel » November 17th, 2013, 9:16 pm

I recommend No Chance for Fate, a Ranma/Sailor Moon crossover and deconstruction of the Fuku Fic.
[url=https://www.fanfiction.net/s/4284134/1/No-Chance-for-Fate]No Chance for Fate[/url]

jgkitarel

Unread postby jgkitarel » December 16th, 2013, 1:40 am

Found an interesting and massive Fallout x Mass Effect crossover called From the Ashes that I think you all might enjoy.
[url=https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8126014/1/From-the-Ashes]From the Ashes[/url]

jgkitarel

Unread postby jgkitarel » January 3rd, 2014, 4:23 am

Another recommendation from an insomniac with too much free time. I've read this a few years ago, forgot about it, rediscovered it and now want to share it with you all. A Star Trek: TNG x Battlestar Galactica crossover called Going Native.
[url=https://www.fanfiction.net/s/3396972/1/Going-Native]Going Native[/url]

jgkitarel

Unread postby jgkitarel » February 19th, 2014, 4:59 pm

Found a Mass Effect gem that is about one of the biggest Offscreen Moments of Awesome in the series. I bring you The Miracle at Palaven.

jgkitarel

Unread postby Wraith5 » February 25th, 2014, 8:32 pm

Well, an update on a few fronts.
1) Regarding fics currently on the list:
Gundam SEED Dauntless, Serenity, and Divinity have been removed. The author is doing (what basically amounts to) a reboot of the series, and has decided to remove the fics from FF.N because of spoilers. She will (eventually) post them on her website, but not for a while. (If anyone wants them, I can send you the .mobi files for all 3 fics) :secret_laugh:

2) Regarding fics I'd like to nominate (I've got a few):
Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam Divinity - Maileesaeya's SEED Dauntless reboot
Summary: Kira Yamato has always done his best to help others, while Makoto Arata has been content living a grand lie... until the fires of war threaten to consume them and all they hold dear, driving them to the battlefield to fight for their very survival. But their victory hinges on the two discovering just what their connection is to Project Divinity... Part I of the New Divinity Saga.
[url=https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9958440/1/Mobile-Suit-Gundam-Divinity]Mobile Suit Gundam Divinity[/url]
Legend of Zelda (I've been reading a lot of these lately, for no particular reason)
The Legend of the Twilight Princess - short, recently published (published yesterday), but well written so far!
Summary: Faron Woods feel strange lately. Dangerous creatures start apprearing among the shadows and an eerie darkness befalls the land. Is he the only one to feel the danger? A realistic novelization based on The Legend of Zelda - Twilight Princess
[url=https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10139932/1/The-Legend-of-the-Twilight-Princess]The Legend of the Twilight Princess[/url]
Mercenaries of Fate - hasn't been updated since mid-April of 2013, but there's only 2 chapters and it was published January 2013
Summary: Like a plague, The Golden Alliance swept into Hyrule and the nation now stands enslaved. Those who escaped the Kingdoms fate are forced to adapt or perish. But when the bearers of Courage and Wisdom are united, the battle begins anew. Freedom to Hyrule! Fear the Wolf's Head!
[url=https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8960410/1/Mercenaries-of-Fate]Mercenaries of Fate[/url]
The Legend of Zelda: The Circle of Destiny - a truly amazing fic, currently not (directly) related to any actual Zelda games (though I'm almost certain it draws some very minor plot elements from a few of them)
Summary: For thousands of years, Link and Zelda have been forced to face catastrophe over and over again—each incident worse than the last. But now they face a darkness which threatens to consume the entire world forever. Can they finally break their cycle of reincarnation-by fulfilling the only destiny they have not yet completed-and save not only the present but the future, too?
[url=https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9961293/1/The-Legend-of-Zelda-The-Circle-of-Destiny]The Legend of Zelda: The Circle of Destiny[/url]
Well, that's all for now!

EDIT: Well, The Legend of Zelda: The Circle of Destiny is now complete with 113 chapters, not counting the epilogue, and the author had originally been planning on the fic being about FIFTY chapters long. "And with more than 450,000 words, this story is the equivalent of 4 full-length novels." The author has stated that she has "a few post-stories in mind" that she might end up posting as well, with promises that she'll post an announcement on the fic if she's ever "brave enough to post a sequel."
Last edited by Wraith5 on January 24th, 2015, 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wraith5

Unread postby jgkitarel » April 9th, 2014, 8:50 am

Seconding Razor's Edge, Dark Witness and Requiem.

jgkitarel

Unread postby WarriorDrgnMage » May 22nd, 2014, 6:55 am

Here is Gone (https://www.fanfiction.net/s/936018/1/Here-Is-Gone) by Terri Botta
Written a looong time ago but one of my favorites none the less. For the Wants of a Nail fic with Spike as the main character.

Echoes in Eternity (https://www.fanfiction.net/s/109275/1/E ... n-Eternity) and it's sequel We Live in the Hearts of Those We Leave Behind (https://www.fanfiction.net/s/285149/1/W ... ave-Behind) by Robin4
Another one thats been around for a long time. Essential and What if fic to the tune of What if Maximus had stopped Comidus from killing Marcus Aurelius
WarriorDrgnMage

AOL: WarriorDrgnMage

Unread postby Wraith5 » May 22nd, 2014, 10:52 am

Okay, Maileesaeya is discontinuing the (original) version of Dark Angel of Freedom (current title: Dark Angel Original). She still has it posted, but it will be removed once the new version reaches the same point (probably around the release of chapter 8 or 9). The new version only has the first chapter posted so far, but more should be on the way soon.
Here's a direct link to the new one: Dark Angel of Freedom
Summary:
Kira had lost everything. He had no name, no memory, no identity. No life, before they found him drifting in the final battlefield and offered him a new home. But when disaster strikes, he sets out with new friends to cry out for a changed world... and their voice shall be heard as the world stands, watching and listening in awe of the Animus and their Dark Angel of Freedom...
[url=https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10360317/1/Dark-Angel-of-Freedom]Dark Angel of Freedom[/url] - Maileesaeya
Also, Maileesaeya has a number of other fics, and she is a pretty damn good writer compared to (at least) 75% of the people on the site.
Wraith5

Unread postby jgkitarel » June 7th, 2014, 12:19 am

Wait, how did this get neglected?

Shadow Chrystal mage has a number of excellent humor fics. Very noticeable is the massive crossover: Takamachi Nanoha of 2814.

Takamachi Nanoha of 2814 also has a sequel. I now introduce you a new SCM work: Takamachi Nanoha of 2814: LeaguerS. Enjoy.
[url=https://www.fanfiction.net/s/6095074/1/Takamachi-Nanoha-of-2814]Takamachi Nanoha of 2814[/url] [url=https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9946094/1/Takamachi-Nanoha-of-2814-LeaguerS]Takamachi Nanoha of 2814: LeaguerS[/url]

jgkitarel

Unread postby WarriorDrgnMage » June 11th, 2016, 6:14 pm

Marvel Cinamatic Universe:

Five Things Darcy Loves About Working for SHIELD
http://archiveofourown.org/works/515016

Summary: The Bronx was up, the Battery was down and thank freaking Thor that SHIELD provided housing or Darcy suspected she wouldn't have been able to afford to live closer than Vermont.
WarriorDrgnMage

Unread postby WarriorDrgnMage » June 11th, 2016, 6:17 pm

Marvel Cinamatic Universe:

The Avengers' Compass Rose
http://archiveofourown.org/works/537268

Summary: Darcy Lewis was just an intern looking for six science credits. It's amazing how fast things change. This is the story of how her life gets completely reorganized.
WarriorDrgnMage

Unread postby Wraith5 » June 11th, 2016, 8:03 pm

I can't believe I never posted this, despite having read it multiple times over the last year: Archangel's Amazing Adventures
Summary:
Mass Crossover fic. Chapter 45 UP! Powerful magic draws the Archangel and the ZAFT Creuset Team into a world of magic and intrigue like nothing imagined by the straight-laced CE residents. Their battles on Cephiro are only the beginning of their nightmarish journey as they give Odysseus a run for his money in the 'bizarre trip home' category...
Okay, it starts as a Gundam SEED and Magic Knight Rayearth crossover, but then it goes into Battletech, Final Fantasy (not saying which one), Gundam Wing, and more. At the start, the author pretty much uses exclusively present tense, but he's gotten better about it in the more recent chapters. To make things VERY unique, he only has a general plan for how his story will progress. Things like combat, destinations, and the like are decided by DICE ROLLS.
[url=https://www.fanfiction.net/s/3729961/1/Archangel-s-Amazing-Adventures]Archangel's Amazing Adventures[/url] - CSS Stravag
Also, to WarriorDrgnMage: You really should've just edited the first post instead of double-posting. Additionally, check the Guidelines section at the start of the thread for the format you're supposed to follow for posting a nomination.
Wraith5

Return to “%s” General Fanfiction Discussion