~*~ Ultimate Viridian Dream's Fanfic Recommendation List ~*~

Re: ~*~ Ultimate Viridian Dream's Fanfic Recommendation List

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » April 19th, 2013, 12:23 pm

Hey joni, you got those tags reversed. You're supposed to put the address after the = in the first part of the tag, and the name in-between the tags.
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby Joni85 » April 19th, 2013, 1:01 pm

Ack, I'll edit it now. I had to wait for the mod to approve my message so I didn't see it when it went up.
Joni85

Unread postby jgkitarel » May 19th, 2013, 3:05 pm

Decided to recommend a classic here. Sailor Hellblazer, one of the classics in crack crossovers.
Code: Select all
[url=http://www.thekeep.org/~rpm/vertigo/sailor-hellblazer/]Sailor Hellblazer[/url]
EDIT (5/27): Forgot to put in the code to copy over the link. Also, found an interesting Bleach x HP Crossover. Finished it last night and am working on the sequel.

The titles are a bit unoriginal, but there's plenty of humor and serious stuff mixed in. Eradona's Harry Potter and the Order of the Bleached Phoenix and Bleach and the Half Blood Prince. Worthwhile reads, IMO.
[url=http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7197392/1/Harry-Potter-and-the-Order-of-the-Bleached-Phoenix]Harry Potter and the Order of the Bleached Phoenix[/url] [url=http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7673707/1/Bleach-and-the-Half-Blood-Prince]Bleach and the Half Blood Prince[/url]
Spoiler: show
The first few chapters give it a rough start and make it seem like a typical wish-fulfillment fic, with fix-fic aspects, but it gets better as it goes on. Rather than completely destroying the HP canon, the author manages to integrate in the Bleach characters in well and provides much larger roles for some of the side characters. The changes start subtle, and slowly build without massively changing things, as events still tend to go as they had in the HP books, though the changes are interwoven into those events.
Also, I have to punch you, jgkitarel, because I spent a lot of time on the nanoha wiki trying to locate information on mages being trained due to being above a certain rank, only to remember and confirm that you were the one that came up with that. - Phht
Don't forget: Mass Effect is powered by magic space rocks. Evangelion is powered by Your Mom.
From his new fic Long Night of the Harvest

My current project on FFN, Mystic Knight Online
jgkitarel

Unread postby jgkitarel » June 20th, 2013, 10:27 pm

Super Crossover: Takamachi Nanoha of 2814. Combining crack, drama, awesome, more awesome, sheer pwnage, awesome funny, funny awesome, accidental innuendo, trope overload and MORE!
[url=http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6095074/1/Takamachi-Nanoha-of-2814]Takamachi Nanoha of 2814[/url]
Also, I have to punch you, jgkitarel, because I spent a lot of time on the nanoha wiki trying to locate information on mages being trained due to being above a certain rank, only to remember and confirm that you were the one that came up with that. - Phht
Don't forget: Mass Effect is powered by magic space rocks. Evangelion is powered by Your Mom.

jgkitarel

Unread postby Joni85 » July 16th, 2013, 7:59 pm

I'm going to rec Back Again by Waugh. A Lord of the Rings time travel fic starring Bilbo. So far he's done a great job with world building, and hasn't rehashed cannon at all.
Joni85

Unread postby HypoSoc » July 17th, 2013, 1:09 am

Seconding Back Again
Mottos to live by:
Hoc Dictum Videtur Esse Melius In Latine.
Cadimus Concordia.
Nolite Hamena Machinae Timere, Nam Iusta Erunt.
This Motto Sounds Better In Latin.
United We Fall.
Do Not Fear The Reign Of Machines, For They Shall Be Just.
HypoSoc

Unread postby DIT_grue » July 17th, 2013, 7:39 pm

And I'll third Back Again. It doesn't quite match the Middle Earth in my head, but it's a good story.
DIT_grue

Unread postby jgkitarel » August 15th, 2013, 9:08 pm

Recommending Imperfect Cherry Blossom, a Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya/Touhou Project Crossover that is extremely well done.
[url=http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8495962/1/Imperfect-Cherry-Blossom]Imperfect Cherry Blossom[/url]

jgkitarel

Unread postby Phht » August 16th, 2013, 3:28 am

First thought: "Oh god, Haruhi/Touhou cannot end well." Next thought was "Oh, it's just Kyon." (Sorry Kyon!)

I'll second ICB, after binging through 19 of 21 chapters.
Phht

Unread postby jgkitarel » August 17th, 2013, 12:00 pm

Yeah, couldn't stop once I started.

jgkitarel

Unread postby Wraith5 » August 30th, 2013, 4:17 pm

Well, I noticed there weren't any Gundam fics, on the list, so... here's three by the same author. Basically, the first is a re-write of Gundam SEED with OCs and original Mobile Suits (both hers and another author's...I'll look it up when I get the chance...), the second is a re-write of Gundam SEED Destiny, and the third is a sequel. (Please note, the third one is dead on the author's own admission. When the author gave her reasoning though, I think she was selling herself short.)
[url=http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5024520/1/Mobile-Suit-Gundam-SEED-Dauntless]Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Dauntless[/url] - complete [url=http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5442411/1/Mobile-Suit-Gundam-SEED-Serenity]Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Serenity[/url] - complete [url=http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7963172/1/Mobile-Suit-Gundam-SEED-Divinity]Mobile SUit Gundam SEED Divinity[/url] - dead
Some of my all time favorite fics. The author, Maileesaeya, also has a number of other Gundam SEED fics, as well as a few Naruto and one Inuyasha.
Really nervous about posting this, what with this being my 6th post and all...
Last edited by Wraith5 on September 18th, 2014, 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Boss, why is it that you always say 'I've got a plan' like a terrorist says 'I've got a bomb'?" - Garrus Vakarian in Razor's Edge: Requiem (a Mass Effect fan-fic)
"Sometimes I stop to think and forget to start again." - t-shirt
"I don't understand, but I disagree." - my older sister misquoting my younger brother ("I understand, but...")
"Come to the Darkside; We have bacon." - t-shirt
Wraith5

Unread postby jgkitarel » September 1st, 2013, 8:58 pm

An interesting HP x Star Trek ToS crossover that I think merits some perusal from the rest of you called The Wizard on the Edge of Forever.

From the summary: During the fight at the Department of Mysteries, Harry gets taken on the ride of his life.

An understatement that a Brit would appreciate. Needless to say, it's a good read and comes with some interesting parts to it.
[url=http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4944819/1/The-Wizard-on-the-Edge-of-Forever]The Wizard on the Edge of Forever[/url]

jgkitarel

Unread postby EdStargazer » September 3rd, 2013, 11:25 pm

Oooooo. Me likey Wizard on the Edge of Forever. Whole hearted seconding
They are characters we all know, and dislike. They are the reason for the story. The reason the plot moves ahead towards its end. No story of any quality can exist without these most important of characters. They are the reason for heroes to exist.
The antagonist, the 'bad guy'

The Villain

One thing you learn as a hero, that once you reach a certain power or ability level, death is merely an inconvenience

There comes a time when even a magical castle loses its luster, when spells and enchatments fail to thrill, when magic itself becomes ... mundane
EdStargazer

Unread postby jgkitarel » September 9th, 2013, 12:21 am

Found this one after some massive digging. When I heard that Nobody Dies was written by Gregg Landsman, I jumped on it for a reason, and that reason is this little gem from the past.

Hope, Dreams and Destiny as One is a Breath of Fire fanfic that he wrote years ago and is probably the first major work he cut his teeth on. While it is not quite up to the same quality as his later works (this was before he became the prolific author on Spacebattles and got all the feedback he needed to really get into the groove, his ability as a storyteller is clear here. Also, it's not based in The Pit or on Spacebattles (at least I didn't find it in the latter).
[url=http://arcahan.topcities.com/gregg-hddo.htm]Hope, Dreams and Destiny as One[/url]

jgkitarel

Unread postby Dechstreme » September 9th, 2013, 6:13 pm

I thought I was the only one here that actually read that! And it's a rare Breath of Fire fic, to boot. Quality BoF fics are hard to find. It's very rough compared to his current level, but several of his signatures are still there.
Dechstreme

Yahoo Messenger: dechstreme@yahoo.com

Unread postby GreggHL » September 10th, 2013, 6:39 am

Dear Lord I had no idea anyone even remembered that fic.
GreggHL

Unread postby jgkitarel » September 10th, 2013, 2:16 pm

I did. Hell, finding it again caused me to reread it.

Again, compared to your current works, Gregg, it is rough, but it's also on of the first fics you cut your teeth on as a writer. Considering how hard it is to find quality BoF fics, this shouldn't surprise you. And yes, that old site is still running.

jgkitarel

Unread postby Bezzerker » September 25th, 2013, 6:39 pm

I would like to nominate A Captain and a Madman. It's a well written 11 Doctor / Star Trek fanfic.
[url=http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9319253/1/A-Captain-And-A-Madman]A Captain and a Madman[/url]
Unleash the Elements of Order and Chaos!

A Heart Born Of Darkness,
Bound Within A Body Of Light,
Ignited By A Twilight Forged Soul

What's the Canadian policy on heretics?
Gman391: Turn them into Pop sensations, and then inflict them on the American's for their sins.
Bezzerker

Unread postby Zankaru Zelladonii » September 29th, 2013, 1:09 pm

List updated, sorry for the months I let it sit, been working through RL stuff.

Added sections for Bleach, Breath of Fire, Sailor Moon, Gundam, Spirited Away, Star Trek, Mass Effect, Final Fantasy. I seem to have deleted the touhou project section somehow during my last update, that is back.

Seconding Back Again, thanks for that! I was tempted to make a section for time travel fics but realized I would never get anything done ever again.

~*~ZZ~*~
"Machiavelli was wrong, it is better to be loved than feared. It is harder to get people to love you, but those bonds are that much harder to break."
I'm a Princeps, the #1 of a Titan, the crazy bastard who wears an angry house to work. - Tomas, Princeps of Warhound Titan Invictorus

Zankaru Zelladonii

Unread postby Wraith5 » September 29th, 2013, 3:11 pm

I honestly don't know why I've waited this long to suggest these...
In any case, here's three Mass Effect fics: Razor's Edge and its sequels, Dark Witness and Requiem. The series uses a (mostly) paragon male Shepard, with a Liara romance in ME1, and Tali romance from ME2 on.
Razor's Edge - Mass Effect 2 rewrite - complete
Dark Witness - Lair of the Shadowbroker DLC - complete
Requiem - Mass Effect 3 rewrite (including the DLC for the game, includes mention of ME2's Arrival DLC) - incomplete, last update was about 2 months ago
[url=http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6049842/1/Razor-s-Edge]Razor's Edge[/url] - complete [url=http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6814325/1/Razor-s-Edge-Dark-Witness]Dark Witness[/url] - complete [url=http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7952484/1/Razor-s-Edge-Requiem]Requiem[/url] - incomplete
...I just realized that both times I've suggested fics, they've all been trilogies...
"Boss, why is it that you always say 'I've got a plan' like a terrorist says 'I've got a bomb'?" - Garrus Vakarian in Razor's Edge: Requiem (a Mass Effect fan-fic)
"I don't understand, but I disagree." - my older sister misquoting my younger brother ("I understand, but...")
Wraith5

Unread postby jgkitarel » September 29th, 2013, 4:25 pm

Zank, To the Stars is a PMMM fic, not Nanoha.

jgkitarel

Unread postby Zankaru Zelladonii » September 29th, 2013, 5:14 pm

:shy: Oops, rectified, thanks for the catch.

Recommending LOTR fic Saruman of many Devices, we saw saruman using gunpowder, this crossover takes that a bit further into glorious territory.
"Machiavelli was wrong, it is better to be loved than feared. It is harder to get people to love you, but those bonds are that much harder to break."
I'm a Princeps, the #1 of a Titan, the crazy bastard who wears an angry house to work. - Tomas, Princeps of Warhound Titan Invictorus

Zankaru Zelladonii

Unread postby DIT_grue » September 29th, 2013, 8:08 pm

Seconding Saruman of Many Devices.
DIT_grue

Unread postby Dechstreme » October 1st, 2013, 3:23 pm

You guys might want to change the status of the Evangelion fic Once More, With Feeling. The author updated it again.
Dechstreme

Yahoo Messenger: dechstreme@yahoo.com

Unread postby Wraith5 » October 4th, 2013, 11:27 pm

You know, considering the fact that I posted 3 fics by Maileesaeya before, I don't know why I just don't post a few more of hers. "The White Queen" and "Dark Angel of Freedom."
MSGS: The White Queen - incomplete, regular updates promised (and promises have been kept so far). NOTE: This is a rewrite. The original version can be found here.
Kira and Lacus have been friends since childhood. When ZAFT attacks Heliopolis, Kira is forced to pilot a powerful prototype mobile suit to protect Lacus... and to protect Kira, Lacus chooses to become the pilot of the prototype Strike Gundam. Plunged into the heart of the conflict, the two struggle to protect their friends and discover for themselves what is worth fighting for.
Dark Angel of Freedom - incomplete, currently on permanent hiatus, undergoing re-write (as stated in summary)
Inspired by Gundam SEED Destiny: Kira. An amnesiac pilot, discovered drifting through the final battlefield. With no knowledge of who he is, he sets out into a world soon torn asunder by war, new friends at his side, and new enemies to defeat. ON PERMANENT HIATUS, UNDERGOING RETOOL.
As far as my impressions of these fics go, the author does a pretty decent job with the "Lacus joins the Archangel before the ship reaches Earth" idea. There are a few things I don't think work quite so well in the fic, but it's an overall good read. Now, "Dark Angel of Freedom" is an interesting one. I'll be honest, I avoided it for a while because of the title. BAD IDEA. This fic is AWESOME. "Gundam SEED Destiny: Kira" (the fic that inspired it) was written by Tellemicus Sundance, but I think DAoF is better...
Last edited by Wraith5 on March 10th, 2014, 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wraith5

Return to “%s” General Fanfiction Discussion