Yet Another Random Bit of Insanity

A place to kick back, relax, and have a friendly discussion with intelligent people.

Re: Yet Another Random Bit of Insanity

Unread postby Farmer_10 » September 7th, 2014, 5:02 pm

Better ViViD than Nanoha Force.
Sweet lady fate, why dost thou piss on me so?!
Farmer_10

Unread postby Phht » September 7th, 2014, 5:31 pm

But wouldn't Force come after ViViD chronologically? So it's entirely possible that Force could be made into anime after they're done with ViViD. ;-)
Phht

Unread postby jgkitarel » September 27th, 2014, 2:48 pm

It could, but then the fandom would RAGE with the focus on a male protagonist, not to mention the idiot ball holding on the part of Nanoha and the cast.
Also, I have to punch you, jgkitarel, because I spent a lot of time on the nanoha wiki trying to locate information on mages being trained due to being above a certain rank, only to remember and confirm that you were the one that came up with that. - Phht
Don't forget: Mass Effect is powered by magic space rocks. Evangelion is powered by Your Mom.
From his new fic Long Night of the Harvest

My current project on FFN, Mystic Knight Online
jgkitarel

Unread postby doc.exe » October 1st, 2014, 2:38 pm

So, I just learned they announced a Tetris movie that is intented as a sci-fi epic of sorts…

Normally this would aggravate me, but given the fact that there hadn’t been any news of the Asteroids movie since it was announced, it just makes me laugh.
"No te tomes la vida demasiado en serio, al fin y al cabo no saldrás vivo de ella." Les Luthiers

"There are two essential rules to management. One, the customer is always right; and two, they must be punished for their arrogance." Dogbert
doc.exe

Unread postby JamestheFox » October 1st, 2014, 2:45 pm

What. Tetris? As a movie?

Like this?
GM of Kingdom Hearts VD: Visions of Destiny. You never know who you'll run into next. Until your Vision shows you.
Shinobi in Star Wars GM. Kyo's Data here.
Pokewizard Quest GM. Harry's Pokedex here.
JamestheFox

Location: A world beyond imagination, but just inside fantasy.

Unread postby Wraith5 » October 1st, 2014, 4:10 pm

.....That is amazing. And awesome, and... I'm not sure what the right word/phrase would be, but the closest I can come up with is 'oddly disturbing'...
"Boss, why is it that you always say 'I've got a plan' like a terrorist says 'I've got a bomb'?" - Garrus Vakarian in Razor's Edge: Requiem (a Mass Effect fan-fic)
"Sometimes I stop to think and forget to start again." - t-shirt
"I don't understand, but I disagree." - my older sister misquoting my younger brother ("I understand, but...")
"Come to the Darkside; We have bacon." - t-shirt
Wraith5

Unread postby MEKristian » October 1st, 2014, 8:34 pm

Let's double down on stuff today:

Korra Book 4, which starts this Friday.

And this new(ish) Fate/stay Night translation project. With the new ufotable anime staring in also a few days, which is based on the second route, I figure it might be worthwhile to point people towards this.

But you have to get any other things you may need on your own, sorry.
MEKristian

AOL: MEKristian

Unread postby doc.exe » October 15th, 2014, 2:35 pm

It’s official, DC and Warner Bros. are finally going to unleash their own cinematic universe including a Justice League movie.

Considering all the announcements surrounding the Batman/Superman movie (from the cast to the costumes to what has been revealed and/or rumored about the storyline), I can’t help it but feel some trepidation about this, even if I want to give them the benefit of the doubt.
"No te tomes la vida demasiado en serio, al fin y al cabo no saldrás vivo de ella." Les Luthiers

"There are two essential rules to management. One, the customer is always right; and two, they must be punished for their arrogance." Dogbert
doc.exe

Unread postby MEKristian » October 15th, 2014, 4:47 pm

Gundam Build Fighters Try is just as awesome as the first season, and you should watch it. If you didn't watch the first season, go do that then get back to this one.
MEKristian

Unread postby doc.exe » October 24th, 2014, 11:36 am

So Smash Bros. Direct and the early leak of the trailer for Avengers 2. Yesterday was a good day. :enjoying_mah_playlist:

doc.exe

Unread postby MEKristian » October 24th, 2014, 1:10 pm

The internet may or may not have eaten itself in the course of those 35 minutes.

And hats off to Marvel for just out and releasing the trailer after the leak instead of waiting.
MEKristian

Unread postby doc.exe » October 28th, 2014, 3:32 pm

Oh my god! Oh my god! This, this… Oh my god!

doc.exe

Unread postby doc.exe » November 1st, 2014, 12:49 pm

Happy All Saints' Day to everyone!

And a belated Happy Halloween too.

doc.exe

Unread postby MEKristian » November 5th, 2014, 6:47 pm

You've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?
MEKristian

Unread postby doc.exe » November 7th, 2014, 1:09 pm

That trailer captures the bleak yet surreal atmosphere of the game very well. In retrospective, while A Link to the Past will always be the one in my heart, I think this one might be my favorite of the 3D Zelda games. After so many teases, it was time for them to finally announce it.

And well, kind of an eventful week on my geekdom: Interstellar premieres this week, Marvel announced a crossover with Attack on Titan and unveiled Secret Wars: Battle world, Naruto ended, Nintendo Direct, Episode VII has a subtitle, they announced Toy Story 4…

doc.exe

Unread postby jgkitarel » November 11th, 2014, 6:48 am

A bit of interesting musing on my part, even if it's a bit late.

25 Years ago, on November 9, 1989, the Berlin Wall, a symbol of the Cold War, came down as the checkpoints along it were opened. An event I was present for, even if I don't remember it well (I was seven and wasn't really paying that much attention) and will probably have to go through the family photo albums, most of which are now in my care, to find pictures.

The only real thing I remember from it was being with my family, more US military families and some, Brittish ones as well, waiting for it. It was a bit of a party right then, as the Checkpoint opened and an East German kid asked me to hold a balloon he was carrying while he tied his shoes. He was surprised when he thanked me, in German, after I handed it back to him and I replied in English. He then gave it back to me, saying (according to my father) that he wanted to give it to the first free person he met.
Also, I have to punch you, jgkitarel, because I spent a lot of time on the nanoha wiki trying to locate information on mages being trained due to being above a certain rank, only to remember and confirm that you were the one that came up with that. - Phht
Don't forget: Mass Effect is powered by magic space rocks. Evangelion is powered by Your Mom.

jgkitarel

Unread postby Wraith5 » November 11th, 2014, 10:23 am

That is amazing. I wish I could be present for a historical event of that significance...
"Boss, why is it that you always say 'I've got a plan' like a terrorist says 'I've got a bomb'?" - Garrus Vakarian in Razor's Edge: Requiem (a Mass Effect fan-fic)
"Sometimes I stop to think and forget to start again." - t-shirt
"I don't understand, but I disagree." - my older sister misquoting my younger brother ("I understand, but...")
"Come to the Darkside; We have bacon." - t-shirt
Wraith5

Unread postby jgkitarel » November 11th, 2014, 4:01 pm

Considering that I also lived in Schöningen, in Lower Saxony at that time, right on the border between East and West Germany, it was also happening in my backyard. Still, being present for history is probably a big piece of bragging rights in my life. We had to go to Helmstedt to cross the border to go to Berlin. NATO troops had their own border control office, with civilians (and military) manning the desks to handle the paperwork.

Going to Berlin, you had two checkpoints all NATO vehicles had to pass through, with Red Army (Soviet, I believe) soldiers guarding them, specifically for us. Basically to check and stamp the paperwork due to travel controls within East Germany.

Also, to all former servicemembers, Happy Veteran's Day!

jgkitarel

Unread postby MEKristian » November 13th, 2014, 1:23 am

I know that anyone here who probably cares has known about this since forever ago, but since it's probably one of the best looking fighting games in years....

Here's Guilty Gear Xrd's first trailer:

MEKristian

Unread postby JamestheFox » November 13th, 2014, 1:27 pm

LINK KART... EIIIIIGGHHHHHHT

The new Mario Kart 8 DLC is amazing.

Triforce Cup 150cc is not even fair, from my playthroughs. 3-starring that's gonna be HARD.
GM of Kingdom Hearts VD: Visions of Destiny. You never know who you'll run into next. Until your Vision shows you.
JamestheFox

Unread postby doc.exe » November 16th, 2014, 1:58 am

The Mute City and Hyrule Circuit Tracks are works of art. The attention to detail is impressive.

Good job, Nintendo, good job. Now about that new F-Zero...

doc.exe

Unread postby Phht » November 16th, 2014, 2:05 am

Good job, Nintendo, good job. Now about that new F-Zero...
It'll be a Harvest Moon style racing team rpg with absolutely no player racing.

:leaving:
Phht

Unread postby JamestheFox » November 16th, 2014, 8:58 am

The only way the F-Zero track would have been better is if they had done the first lap mostly without boost panels, and then when you cross to second lap:

"YOU GOT BOOST POWER!"

And the rest of the boost panels turned on. Either that, or if the first lap had no Item Boxes.

Really, just adding the F-Zero Announcer (either F-Zero X or GX) would have really completed the feel of the track.
Yeah, you better run.

I hear worries that F-Zero is now obsolete because MK8 has the anti-gravity thing down... but I feel that F-Zero was more than that. It has PLENTY of differences that give it its own tone. Stuff like...

The fact that unless you turn respawn on, going off course or losing all your health is a retire.
The lack of items and the addition of ways to beat your opponent senseless for the purposes of forcing them to retire.
The helpful tracker telling you who is currently your rival for First in the leaderboards, so you can go on over and take them out, allowing an alternate way to increase your victory chances.
The warm-up first lap, followed by the Boost being given for the second lap onwards.
The Boost system in general is a big one. You have to actually manage that meter so you aren't retired by being hit by so much as a fly.
JamestheFox

Unread postby doc.exe » November 16th, 2014, 11:32 pm

Both are, in general terms, arcade racing games, but Mario Kart has always been more “party” oriented, while F-Zero is more technical and “hardcore” oriented. I think both can co-exist in the market, if Nintendo ever decides to release another game.

:leaving:
The thing is that after so many years, I’m so starved for an F-Zero game that I’m willing to accept anything they throw at me: A life simulator ala Animal Crossing, a minigame collection, heck, I would even take an action adventure game with token racing sections starring Captain Falcon called F-Zero Adventures. I just want the franchise to return from limbo.

doc.exe

Unread postby JamestheFox » November 17th, 2014, 11:32 pm

I actually could see a career-management mode, kinda. You choose a racer (or make your own!?), arrange general practices (increasing their stats and thus gaining a permanent boost to certain traits no matter the vehicle), fix up and upgrade their vehicle (akin to the Custom Machine mode in GX), get your guy sponsored and set up advertising commercials and the like, and every now and again get a challenge or hear about a tourney. The courses for each event are semi-randomly generated (maybe with the Track Maker making a return?), and shortly before any one challenge or cup, maybe you get the chance to order your racer to simulation-practice a course or two, giving them (and yourself) the chance to memorize the track(s) and git gud. You might not always get enough time to practice ALL the tracks for a multi-race event, though.

Then the event happens, and you have to race it. Depending on your placing, you get some money. Depending on how much damage you take, you might have to make repairs (if you get Retired, that's a few days wasted by your racer, recovering from injuries). If you take out OTHER racers, you might make them rivals, and (once THEY lick their wounds) might challenge your racer to further one-on-one events (they may also do this if you just barely beat them in events).

You'd have to worry about maintaining (or changing) your racer's image to garner/maintain fans, through how they perform on the track (do they act aggressively, are they efficient in picking the quickest paths to the finish, do they often just barely survive the race?), through post-event interviews (kinda like those post-cup interviews in GX), and through who's sponsoring them (maybe you've got a contract with some major Bounty Hunting Guild, or a Fast Food industry with a very cheesy, friendly feel). Is your racer the family friendly fella that parents can be proud their child idolizes? Are they the rough, rugged son of a gun that makes woman swoon through his mannerisms? Are they the arrogant prick that everyone just LOVES to hate on (and so loves to see around so they can be hated on, even though he only RARELY makes it into the top half of any of these races)?

You do all this and more to try and make sure that your racer is bringing in the dough, and becoming a true GP legend!

A beat-em up starring Captain Falcon would be fun. Shift between uber-hard driving sections like in GX's story mode, and running about beating the EVER LOVING TAR out of people as you close in on this or that bounty. Course, this would HAVE to have the Falcon Punch as a major move in his arsenal. Maybe something you fill up a gauge for and unleash as a supermove.

... We had Hyrule Warriors. Now for F-Zero Warriors. We got enough characters with varying powers, themes, and potential tricks to make it work. Just off the top of my head, you got Captain Falcon (HYES. Is a bounty hunter), Samurai Goro (samurai, natch. Also a bounty hunter.), the Skull (scary, spooky fighter with necromancy? Not sure if he has a reason to fight), Beastman (Animal motif, kills monsters for a living), James McCloud (BOOM. Arwings. Smart Bombs. Barrel Rolls. Star Fox references!), and Super Arrow (Superhero with Owl motif, including an Owl familiar. Also his wife is a former F-Zero Model and could join in either for assists or as her own character.). Also Zoda. Not sure what he does, but Zoda.
JamestheFox

Return to “%s” General Discussion