Yet Another Random Bit of Insanity

A place to kick back, relax, and have a friendly discussion with intelligent people.

Re: Yet Another Random Bit of Insanity

Unread postby Wraith5 » March 13th, 2015, 2:36 pm

The 'h4ck your g4mma' was a reference to KYR SP33DY's crew and their Minecraft videos. One of the members of the crew edited his game files so he didn't need torches to be able to see at night.
Granted, I never watched their Minecraft videos, so I only learned the reference during their Cards Against Humanity videos. *shrug*

NOOOOO!!!!!! TERRRRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :TT_TT:
"Boss, why is it that you always say 'I've got a plan' like a terrorist says 'I've got a bomb'?" - Garrus Vakarian in Razor's Edge: Requiem (a Mass Effect fan-fic)
"Sometimes I stop to think and forget to start again." - t-shirt
"I don't understand, but I disagree." - my older sister misquoting my younger brother ("I understand, but...")
"Come to the Darkside; We have bacon." - t-shirt
Wraith5

Unread postby jgkitarel » March 13th, 2015, 8:12 pm

I don’t get the reference but the joke still works for me at least.

And on a different and sadder matter:

AT LAST, SIR TERRY, WE MUST WALK TOGETHER.

Terry took Death’s arm and followed him through the doors and on to the black desert under the endless night.

The End.

:TT_TT:
Oh... OH...

:TT_TT:
Also, I have to punch you, jgkitarel, because I spent a lot of time on the nanoha wiki trying to locate information on mages being trained due to being above a certain rank, only to remember and confirm that you were the one that came up with that. - Phht
Don't forget: Mass Effect is powered by magic space rocks. Evangelion is powered by Your Mom.
From his new fic Long Night of the Harvest

My current project on FFN, Mystic Knight Online
jgkitarel

Unread postby Phht » March 14th, 2015, 12:48 am

There's a difference between knowing that water can be really really dark if you go deep enough, and seeing that at sufficient depth, water becomes a black hole, absorbing all existence outside the tiny 1-3 foot bubble of light you can manage in front of a camera or view port.

--

It wasn't until I saw Terry Pratchett died that I realized I had never read any of his works. But I have at least played games his daughter was writer for, so it's not a completely terrible situation to be in.
Phht

Unread postby MEKristian » March 16th, 2015, 2:46 pm

Symphogear GX announced for this July!

... even though I'm still probably the only one particularly excited...
MEKristian

AOL: MEKristian

Unread postby Phht » April 8th, 2015, 9:28 pm

Phht

Unread postby MEKristian » April 10th, 2015, 4:17 pm

I waffled a bit on linking this, but here's the Nintendo direct from last week in case there's somebody who hasn't seen it yet and is interested.

... and I'll also throw in this video explaining why the character I voted for in the Smash Ballot, which I'll put under a spoiler so that I don't bother too many people with all of the hype I have for her:
Spoiler: show
MEKristian

Unread postby doc.exe » April 12th, 2015, 2:52 am

I voted for Snake. I doubt he will actually return, but he was one of my mains in Brawl and I lose nothing trying.

My brother is planning to vote for Shovel Knight and I know a friend who is voting for Shantae. It will be interesting to see which character(s) is selected.
"No te tomes la vida demasiado en serio, al fin y al cabo no saldrás vivo de ella." Les Luthiers

"There are two essential rules to management. One, the customer is always right; and two, they must be punished for their arrogance." Dogbert
doc.exe

Unread postby JamestheFox » April 12th, 2015, 12:52 pm

I could not settle on a character... but I eventually decided to give a suggestion among the usual suspects:

Paper Mario.

Why? We already have Mario and two different Mario Clones! Why would I do that?

Because Paper Mario, if done well, should not be a clone. Make his abilities based specifically on his Paper Mario abilities and allies. Have him use a hammer. Have him call up Parakarry to keep him from falling to his death. Heck, with each character having a few custom specials, Paper Mario could probably bring in ALL his buddies.

Plus, he could easily have a Smash Taunt Easter Egg: Goombario/Goombella's Tattle ability talking about the fighters. I loved the codecs, I love Palutena's Guidance, and I want more.

I do fear that they'll say "Eh, make him a Mario Clone," though, so maybe it wasn't the best choice.

A few of the characters I considered, but didn't choose, why I would have picked them, and why I didn't:
Spoiler: show
Shantae: One problem I have with going outside of the franchises that already have representation is that... well... we don't know if stages and music are going to come with these characters. So far, that's not been a problem, but Shantae might not get to come with a stage from her game, or even music tracks to add to already existing stages. This might not be a dealbreaker for some, especially on its own, but it edged her out on my end. I'm also worried that she's a bit... overly sexualized for a family title like Smash (Brawl and Melee might have allowed her, but they took noticeable steps to reel back the sexualization in this one, no matter what you say about Zero Suit Samus' heel rockets). Plus, I'm not especially familiar with her, so...

Sora: Anyone who knows me knows I love me some Kingdom Hearts, and Sora would make me extremely happy to see in Smash. Heck, he has a fairly good claim - he may have started on the PS2, but unless you count the remakes and mobile games, around half of his series has been on a Nintendo Console. But he has the same issue as Shantae, and worse: how many swordguys do we already have? I've seen and played a Sora Moveset through Brawl hacking, and it's great, but I'm not sure I trust Sakurai to not make him too similar to, say, Robin or the other Fire Emblem guys.

Geno: Geno is one of those guys who is a cult favorite, but because of the curse related to being of a universe owned by one company but being himself owned by another, he really doesn't get a lot of limelight. I love the doll, and he'd make a very interesting ranged fighter, akin to Megaman. But that's just it. I'm having trouble seeing him really breaking any ground as a unique and interesting character. Also, while he is related to the Mario franchise, most of the music that would be related to him would have to come with him, and I'm not sure that's gonna happen. Darn you Nintendo! You need to make a statement on whether these characters get their own stages and music!

Terra Branford: Final Fantasy spent a long, long time on Nintendo consoles, and FF6 was the end of an era of Nintendo exclusivity. Also, lots of folks think it's one of the best ones in the series. She has plenty of spells to draw from for her moveset, she's a female (a main heroine at that!), she's got a lot of appeal... and again, she's not related to anyone in Smash already, which means she might not get music or a stage. Also, this is a bit of a lesser issue, but she's also very similar-looking to one of Lucina's alternates, so...

7 (Xenoblade Chronicles): An awesome character with their own array of interesting moves... but the fact that I'm not referring to their real name and identity for fear of spoiling people who haven't played the game should tell you enough about why I would suggest not including them.
GM of Kingdom Hearts VD: Visions of Destiny. You never know who you'll run into next. Until your Vision shows you.
Shinobi in Star Wars GM. Kyo's Data here.
Pokewizard Quest GM. Harry's Pokedex here.
JamestheFox

Location: A world beyond imagination, but just inside fantasy.

Unread postby MEKristian » April 12th, 2015, 1:30 pm

Gonna address two complaints:

Shulk runs around in swim trunks and ZSS has increased in... "talent" since Brawl. "Oversexualization" is not an issue unless the character really does the sexualization as part their character (Which I would argue Shantae doesn't do... it's everybody around her that makes those kind of jokes). Which is probably why Bayonetta won't happen despite how many people want it.

As for Seven.... they already have a trophy in the WiiU title so that's a spoiler... and Lucina happened. so while I also don't want Seven in the game, it's unfortunately possible to happen.

And oh god that probably looks crazy to anybody not familiar with what I'm talking about...
MEKristian

Unread postby JamestheFox » April 12th, 2015, 4:30 pm

Wait, 7 has a - Oh, so that's the last empty slot. GOSH DARNIT NINTENDO CURSE YOU AND YOUR SMASH SPOILERS

... Wait, Lucina's a spoiler? Huh.

Apparently, the ESRB would disagree with you regarding that - Both Melee and Brawl sat pretty at T, with Smash4 being set at E10... though that may be due to the removal of the ability to... ahem... upskirt the Princesses (there's now a black abyss under those dresses).

Call be oblivious, but I actually didn't notice any changes to Samus (other than the outfits which show more skin and the rocketheels), and Shullllk... well, I could attribute that to the double standard of "oh, it's funny to see a guy running around in his boxers. But when a girl does it..." but that's a whole other discussion.

(And we both missed Palutena's Poledancing. HOW DID THAT GET PAST THE RADAR? HOW IS THIS A KID'S GAME?)

From what I've seen of Shantae (I was introduced to her through the kickstarter for Half-Genie Hero), she's a scantily clad, belly dancing lady of considerable bust size, which... at least out of context, can seem a little bit provocative. But I guess the final decision on how appropriate this is falls to the Smash team.

That said... having only played the demo for Bayonetta 2, yeah, no. That's not happening. At all.

Anywho, now that DLC Characters and outfits for the Mii Fighters are a thing, what other DLC/Patches/etc would you want to see in Smash?

Patch-wise, I would like to have an in-between mode for how much customized characters are allowed, somewhere between "You have to play with the Vanilla Characters" and "You have alt stats, special moves, and weird extra effects." I'd also like these rules applied to the Amiibos and their ridiculous stat growth.

DLC-wise... stages. music. But more than that...

Interesting Alt Costumes for characters (seriously, more than the balance tweaks or added characters, this is why I liked Project M.). Like...

Peach: Actual Daisy (with Daisy voice?), Mario Sunshine outfit
Shulk: Some of the other armor types. I was so miffed that they only went with his starting equipment. Also. Glasses. I want my nerdy swordguy back. Failing them being actual characters, it'd be neat to have Shulk's Final Smash randomly select a different duo of characters to Chain Attack alongside him.
Luigi: Mr. L. Just... Mr. L.
Yoshi: YARN. I LOVE YARN YOSHI IT'S ADORABLE.
Pikachu and Jigglypuff: MOAR HATS. Also, one that has the Light Ball hanging from around Pikachu's neck.
Zelda: Hilda colors, I guess. ... A Tetra-esque outfit, if they could pull it off?
Link: Stop toying with us, Nintendo. Give us the actual pre-tunic outfits from SS and TP... Oh, also. HYRULE WARRIORS OUTFIT! I WANT MY SCARF TO BILLOW IN THE BREEZE!
Toon Link: ... and don't think I don't see you there without an Outset garb!
GM of Kingdom Hearts VD: Visions of Destiny. You never know who you'll run into next. Until your Vision shows you.
JamestheFox

Unread postby MEKristian » April 12th, 2015, 4:44 pm

Smash 4 also lacks a story mode; Pretty sure that most of the T rating was due to the violence and other unsettling scenes in SSE.

Also both Shantae: Risky's Revenge and Shantae and the Pirate's Curse are rated E-10 in the eShop by the ESRB (Shantae for the GBC is E for Everyone). So say what you will about her as a contender to smash, but her design doesn't appear to be a factor.

And yes, Lucina's a spoiler, due the the whole "pretending to be Marth" thing, where she comes from, and her relation to Chrom.
MEKristian

Unread postby doc.exe » April 14th, 2015, 3:45 pm

I would add as well that the E10+ rating didn’t exist back when Melee was released and I don’t remember if it was already available on Brawl’s debut. If Melee was released in this day and age, it would probably get an E10+.

Got to admit I considered voting for Bayonetta for a second before I admitted to myself that it was just not going to happen. You could actually create a great fighting style with her, but considering the levels of… ehem… "sex appeal"… yeah, it is obviously not going to happen.

As to what I would like added as DLC or patches, honestly, I would just settle with more characters, probably a few more songs and stages. That being said, more options for the stage builder and the snapshots would be nice (not the mention those features to share custom stages and snapshots online that they promised in a Direct and that, as far as I know, have not been implemented yet).
"No te tomes la vida demasiado en serio, al fin y al cabo no saldrás vivo de ella." Les Luthiers

"There are two essential rules to management. One, the customer is always right; and two, they must be punished for their arrogance." Dogbert
doc.exe

Unread postby MEKristian » April 14th, 2015, 4:26 pm

Yeah, that patch, 1.0.6, goes live tomorrow. Along with Mewtwo for those of us who registered both games with Club Nintendo before the 30th of March.
MEKristian

Unread postby MEKristian » May 1st, 2015, 12:57 pm

Double posting uuuuuuhg... but the game formerly known as "Project Ukelele", and now know as... Yooka-Laylee, has had it's Kickstarter go live. So, if you're interested and want to contribute, throw in a few monies.
MEKristian

Unread postby Phht » June 1st, 2015, 11:33 am

Psst. Guys. You ready for action?

November 2015.

EDIT: According to xcom.com, XCOM lost the previous game. Planet surrendered, XCOM routed. I wonder if this has something to do with Jake Solomon's twitter announcement that your Volunteer teleported off the Temple Ship before it went boom....
Phht

Unread postby doc.exe » June 2nd, 2015, 8:27 pm

Ok, on one hand YES!!!!! MEGA MAN IS NOT FORGOTTEN AND IS GETTING HIS OWN ANIMATED SERIES! I'M SO HAPPY!!! :TT_TT:

On the other hand: It's from Man of Action, creatives of cartoons that I either don't care about (Ben 10) or actively despise (Ultimate Spider-man). For not talking about the little fact that he is still not getting any new games.

So: Thank you Capcom, for your consistency. Even when you announce something that pleases me,you still find a way to add a very big "BUT..." at the end of it. :disapointed:

doc.exe

Unread postby MEKristian » June 3rd, 2015, 12:26 am

It's always kind of sad when the best you can say is "at least they're not Konami". Especially since Capcom WAS in that place for a while there.
MEKristian

Unread postby doc.exe » June 3rd, 2015, 1:30 pm

Don’t remind me. The wound from the demise of Silent Hills still hurts. :cry:

Honestly, it’s sad to see the current state of the Japanese gaming giants. Everyone seems to be in some kind of trouble these days.

doc.exe

Unread postby JamestheFox » June 3rd, 2015, 6:17 pm

Well, at least Nintendo isn't doing too horribly. I mean... They just released Splatoon, which I can conclusively say is awesome. They're hyping us up for all sorts of fun games, and the Amiibo- Oooohhh. Right. The Amiibo.

Well, at least they're trying to fix availability issues, supposedly?

But yeah. They continue to be good in my book. Splatoon is amazing, and if you don't have a Wii U, this is yet another great reason to get one. They're just... on a roll.

Now, hopefully they won't disappoint me regarding this... NX thing of theirs...
JamestheFox

Unread postby doc.exe » June 3rd, 2015, 7:11 pm

Don’t misunderstand me, Nintendo has been on a roll when it comes to the quality of their games. It’s on the financial side where they have been hurting. So much that they finally threw their hands up in defeat and basically said “Ok, the world wants us to do mobile games, we will do mobile games.” At least they are not leaving console gaming behind, like other companies. ¬_¬ *coff* *coff* Konami *coff* *coff* Sega *coff* *coff*

Splatoon looks amazing but I don’t think I will play it in a while. With the current dollar parity and the economy being more craptastic than usual lately, new releases of games are becoming more expensive than ever.

doc.exe

Unread postby Phht » June 3rd, 2015, 8:30 pm

Speaking of Mega Man.... I noticed that Mighty No9 is available for pre-order on Steam with a September release date. Mighty No9 being the not!Megaman game. ;)
Phht

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » June 3rd, 2015, 9:32 pm

Can't believe no one has brought this up yet.

"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby MEKristian » June 3rd, 2015, 9:35 pm

Oh hey, Bethesda finally remembered there are more colours than just green and brown. :V
MEKristian

Unread postby doc.exe » June 5th, 2015, 2:09 am

Well, that’s next-gen power for you. :secret_laugh:

I have been itching to try Skyrim and Fallout 3 and New Vegas for some time already. But what I have read of the bugs and glitches of the PS3 versions keeps me away.
Speaking of Mega Man.... I noticed that Mighty No9 is available for pre-order on Steam with a September release date. Mighty No9 being the not!Megaman game. ;)
Yeah, I backed that one. :biggrin:

Don’t misunderstand me, I'm glad that the man who is considered “father” of the franchise is keeping its spirit alive.

It’s just that I find it sad that the actual owners of the IP have been so… thoughtless with it lately, to say it politely.

doc.exe

Unread postby jgkitarel » June 5th, 2015, 6:31 am

Fallout 4 trailer
Oh hells yeah. Gotta stock up on the bottle caps for that one.
Also, I have to punch you, jgkitarel, because I spent a lot of time on the nanoha wiki trying to locate information on mages being trained due to being above a certain rank, only to remember and confirm that you were the one that came up with that. - Phht
Don't forget: Mass Effect is powered by magic space rocks. Evangelion is powered by Your Mom.
From his new fic Long Night of the Harvest

My current project on FFN, Mystic Knight Online
jgkitarel

Return to “%s” General Discussion