The Power of Friendship Podcast

A place to kick back, relax, and have a friendly discussion with intelligent people.

The Power of Friendship Podcast

Unread postby ashez2ashes » October 14th, 2009, 6:01 pm

Hey everyone! Long time forum poster here, I just started my own podcast called The Power of Friendship Podcast. Check us out: www.thepoweroffriendship.net We bi-weekly review fantasy movies and anime. We're a spoiler podcast, but we only spoil the episode topic.

Our first episode is Labyrinth, come check us out. We don't really have any listeners yet. I'm pretty sure our sole download stat is actually me. :lol:

The audio quality is... questionable on the first episode, but I did eventually figure out how to use my equipment.

We've recorded about 10 episodes already so I can gurantee a few months of regularly released pocasts.

Upcoming episodes include: shojo manga, fanfiction (team 8 is mentioned :D ), soul eater, Hook, slayers, Rainbow Brite and the Star Stealer (yes I've lost my mind), Skullduggery Pleasant, and the Secret of Nihm.

Next Episode: We discuss the shojo manga genre. Mostly, I complain and Melanie tries to keep me from making sweeping generalized statements about shoujo girls crying too much (someone call the waambulence).

I'd love to hear some comments and suggestions from the board. Please?
Last edited by ashez2ashes on October 14th, 2009, 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ashez2ashes

Re: The Power of Friendship Podcast

Unread postby ewuvi » October 14th, 2009, 6:06 pm

Wait. Soul Eater?

I'm in.
ewuvi

Unread postby Kage Husha » October 14th, 2009, 6:11 pm

(someone call the waambulence).
Bravo! :animlol: :goodpost :bow
Kage Husha

Unread postby QuoteMyFoot » October 14th, 2009, 6:16 pm

Well I can't listen right now, but I definitely will later. I haven't seen The Labyrinth, but that link to M. C. Escher at the bottom of your post? Yeah, too curious not to now. I picked M. C. Escher to study in GCSE Art and kinda became really intriguied by his work, so now whenever I see it mentioned I have to take a look. *bookmarks link*
QuoteMyFoot

Unread postby ashez2ashes » October 14th, 2009, 6:55 pm

Well I can't listen right now, but I definitely will later. I haven't seen The Labyrinth, but that link to M. C. Escher at the bottom of your post? Yeah, too curious not to now. I picked M. C. Escher to study in GCSE Art and kinda became really intriguied by his work, so now whenever I see it mentioned I have to take a look. *bookmarks link*
There's a really neat scene in the movie where the set is like that famous Escher painting Relativity (with the impossible stairs). My co-host Melanie was an art major and she explains it. There's quite a bit put into the movie despite having muppets and David Bowie in glitter.
ashez2ashes

Unread postby QuoteMyFoot » October 14th, 2009, 7:05 pm

There's a really neat scene in the movie where the set is like that famous Escher painting Relativity (with the impossible stairs). My co-host Melanie was an art major and she explains it. There's quite a bit put into the movie despite having muppets and David Bowie in glitter.
That is awesome. Tomorrow I will have to look that up on youtube.

I like knowing M. C. Escher, it makes me sound like I'm actually somewhat knowledgable in art. :biggrin2
QuoteMyFoot

Unread postby ashez2ashes » October 28th, 2009, 6:59 pm

Episode 2: Shoujo Manga is now up!

Visit here: http://www.thepoweroffriendship.net

In this episode, we discuss shoujo manga and how the heroines cry too damn much. Oh, they could seem like they're going to be awesome in the beginning... But soon enough those pesky hormones drive us women folk crazy until all we can do is cry. In fact, I'm sobbing right now, there's rivers of tears all over the place as I desperately trying to decide if I want to be in truuuu wuuuuv with the blond hot guy or the brunette hot guy.

And if I make the wrong decision my. life. is. OVER! :roll:

I also made a post describing what a podcast actually is, if you're looking at this post and wondering what the heck I'm talking about. Find out about the wonderful world of podcasts.

Next Episode: Anime Fan Expiration date! Does an anime fan expiration date actually exist? (The smell would indicate that yes, it actually does). Just kidding... mostly. :mob
ashez2ashes

Unread postby ashez2ashes » November 11th, 2009, 7:12 pm

Episode 3: Anime Fan Expiration Date is up!

http://www.thepoweroffriendship.net

This episode we talk about the mysterious anime fan expiration date. Basically, it’s the idea that you get into anime fandom in your early teens and then slowly its appeal wanes until you are no longer interested in it. Where have all of the older anime fans gone? Or are they still here, but simply hidden by the hordes of Naruto headband wearing people? If this expiration date does exist… is our time up?

I'd be your friend forever and ever and ever if you left a comment on my blog. Its all barren and sad looking. :violin:
ashez2ashes

Unread postby Dervon » November 12th, 2009, 2:47 pm

Ahh, the binge was rather short, but there we are. Good start, me and a mate (anime-hating t*rd that he is, couldn't get him to watch this. You know who you are, mate :lol:) may very well follow you into the podcasting world. And the vitriol will flow like wine. Because we are incapable of liking anything. Yes. :D

:lurk: *awaits episode 4* :lurk:
Dervon

Unread postby ashez2ashes » November 12th, 2009, 7:38 pm

Ahh, the binge was rather short, but there we are. Good start, me and a mate (anime-hating t*rd that he is, couldn't get him to watch this. You know who you are, mate :lol:) may very well follow you into the podcasting world. And the vitriol will flow like wine. Because we are incapable of liking anything. Yes. :D

:lurk: *awaits episode 4* :lurk:
Thanks so much for listening! And wow, you commented so much on my blog! :cheers: You are now my 'friend forevah'. You're membership card and decoder ring are in the mail.

You are actually on the money about Slayers (we just recorded a Slayers episode although it won't be up for awhile). The anime series is based on novels, but the novels were actually loosely based on a D&D campaign the author was playing in the 80s. lol
ashez2ashes

Unread postby Dervon » November 13th, 2009, 6:12 am

Thanks so much for listening! And wow, you commented so much on my blog! :cheers: You are now my 'friend forevah'. You're membership card and decoder ring are in the mail.
Sweet! Now, if only the Romanian postal-system wasn't sh!t, I might have actually gotten the card/ring... Oh well, ce-la-vie.

Yeah, I'll be tuning-in/commenting as you post. You gals do raise some interesting points while being pretty darn funny at the same time. Is all good. :D
You are actually on the money about Slayers (we just recorded a Slayers episode although it won't be up for awhile). The anime series is based on novels, but the novels were actually loosely based on a D&D campaign the author was playing in the 80s. lol
Yeah, and like I said, it shows. I can almost picture the dude playing Lina begging his DM for uber-l33t-abilities and his DM agreeing and then realizing that the player's response to everything from that point that may constitute a threat will be Dragon Slaves up the wazoo. :D
Dervon

Unread postby ANightmareDarkly » November 13th, 2009, 10:32 pm

One of you were talking about an anime you saw with 'wings and halos' and it was 13 episodes it sounded familiar to me so was it Haibane Reimei by any chance? More good manga I forgot are Kurohime which like Kekkashi and D-grey man to an extent starts generically but gets better. Bamboo blade is fun and Saki is amazingly good since its all about Mahjong the K-On anime but thats hardly obscure eh....oh and finish Gurren Lagann Galaxy Shuriken thats all I'll say.
ANightmareDarkly

Unread postby ashez2ashes » November 14th, 2009, 12:07 am

One of you were talking about an anime you saw with 'wings and halos' and it was 13 episodes it sounded familiar to me so was it Haibane Reimei by any chance? More good manga I forgot are Kurohime which like Kekkashi and D-grey man to an extent starts generically but gets better. Bamboo blade is fun and Saki is amazingly good since its all about Mahjong the K-On anime but thats hardly obscure eh....oh and finish Gurren Lagann Galaxy Shuriken thats all I'll say.

Yeah, Haibane Reinmei was the anime. Good series. I've tried D-Grey man before... the art was pretty but I didn't like any of the characters. The main character particularly was really boring and just... there. He didn't have any personality at all.

Saki sounds interesting. I'm always up for weird sports/hobby anime. I saw on youtube there was a golf anime. I'm hoping it goes to outlandish lengths to make golf look hardcore and cool.

Oh Gurren Lagann.... you
Spoiler: show
died when Kamina died... And then the mutlicolored loli showed up and it died again. But seriously, I can't get over my super mega Kamina crush to watch anymore. I even tried skipping the boring middle and still couldn't keep my interest. I am aware this is insane. Oh Kamina... :(
ashez2ashes

Unread postby Dervon » November 14th, 2009, 11:50 am

Oh Gurren Lagann.... you
died when Kamina died... And then the mutlicolored loli showed up and it died again. But seriously, I can't get over my super mega Kamina crush to watch anymore. I even tried skipping the boring middle and still couldn't keep my interest. I am aware this is insane. Oh Kamina... :(
Same reason here (sans the crush). :P
Dervon

Unread postby SirKaid » November 14th, 2009, 11:49 pm

Yeah, Kamina's definitely the best part of Gurren Lagann.
Simon tries, but he just doesn't have enough MANLINESS! to replace Kamina. I bet that Kamina would have been able to save Nia without destroying the world too.
SirKaid

Unread postby Darkandus » November 14th, 2009, 11:58 pm

You know, you might say you like Kamina but I suspect he would be pretty disappointed in all of you.
Just giving up because he died, and worse, complaining because his brother didn't free the Universe in a cool enough way.
Darkandus

Unread postby SirKaid » November 15th, 2009, 12:23 am

Hey, I still watched and enjoyed the whole thing.
Kamina is more manly than Simon, but even his death cannot overcome the breaking of impossibilities that is Gurren Lagann.

It's not really a fair comparison anyway. Kamina's just not the kind of act one can easily follow, yanno? Plus Simon does have the whole "Actual romance" as opposed to "Yoko's hormones mixing with Kamina's Manliness" angle going for him.

In the end, they're different people and the show probably wouldn't have been as good if Simon ended up as an expy of Kamina at the end. Well, more of an expy at any rate.
SirKaid

Unread postby runsamok » November 18th, 2009, 2:29 am

Yay for podcasts.. by the way, do you want to interview me or Matthew on your 'cast? =)
Sincerely,
Lindsey Schocke (aka Runsamok)

"In the penny jar of life, I want to be a quarter."
runsamok

Unread postby ashez2ashes » November 18th, 2009, 7:49 pm

Yay for podcasts.. by the way, do you want to interview me or Matthew on your 'cast? =)
Thanks for the offer. We do want to do a Naruto fanfiction show eventually, so an interview about Team 8 might fit into there. That won't be for awhile though.
ashez2ashes

Unread postby ashez2ashes » November 25th, 2009, 12:27 pm

Hey everybody! The power of youth and friendship explodes with the force of a thousand supernovas today on Episode 04: Shonen Anime and Manga on The Power of Friendship!

Check it out here:
http://thepoweroffriendship.libsyn.com/

I think we did a lot better job on this shonen manga episode than the shojo one. I'm not sure about Melanie's views, but I definitely prefer shonen of the two. I think we cover some interesting topics and sub genres this time and would love to get some input. I'd especially like to get some input on the whys of certain shonen cliches, like one-on-one fights. My theories are things I just came up with and would love to see if anyone has some actually factual info.

Please check it out! I looooove comments (it's actually kind of sad how happy getting comments/emails makes me lol).
ashez2ashes

Unread postby ashez2ashes » December 9th, 2009, 7:35 pm

I just uploaded The Power of Friendship Episode 05: Fanfiction. We talk in general about fanfiction and try our best to give a general overview of the subject. We have a little bit of background in fanfiction. We have written fanfiction in the past, and have read more than is probably medically recommended. I rant quite a bit about my pet peeves, so hopefully I didn't alienate too many people (although if you're not irking someone on the internet, you're not being completly truthful with your opinions).

I'm pretty old school when it comes to reviewing fanfics. I don't agree with the 'say something nice or don't say anything at all' mentality. Saying a terrible fanfic is good isn't doing anyone any favors. I'm not saying the world should be covered in flames, but a little politely worded criticism can really do someone some good. Besides, if you don't want any criticism at all, then why put fanfic on a website that allows readers to comment on the story? Back when I used to write fanfiction, my favorite comments were the ones that were insightful criticism.

I have to apologize for not mentioning the author lord's fics in this episode. I have no idea why I didn't... but I'll make to rectify my mistake when we record our Harry Potter Fanfiction and Naruto Fanfiction episodes!

I'd love to hear anyone's opinions on the episode, or just your opinions on this topic... even just that you're listening. Sometimes it's nice to know you're not just speaking into the void, ya know?

Listen to the episode at: http://www.thepoweroffriendship.net
ashez2ashes

Unread postby Psalm Of Fire » December 13th, 2009, 11:14 am

Speak into the void too long, and the void speaks back.

(I'll put down some comments when I listen to the podcast, but in the mean time I couldn't resist! This could also be an interesting way of saying that I haven't yet listened... hmm.)
"That didn't make me cry. I'm just shedding manly tears over something completely unrelated and super masculine. Like an explosion. An exploding robot. An exploding robot that's on fire. DON'T LOOK AT ME!"
-Farmer10
Psalm Of Fire

Unread postby ANightmareDarkly » December 14th, 2009, 12:53 am

Yay loose pretext to ask exactly what you asked: what is the point/joy of/attraction to MPreg I read one once and well...the words "What is this I don't even... :? " were uttered...a lot. It reminds me of that episode of the Cosby show that ended up being All just a dream only waaayyy more squicky due to biology failure...not that giving "Birth" to food is much better but...other than reminding me of that horror it was good as always though it brought a weird thought to mind mostly because you talked about good and bad fanfiction if 90% of everything is crap and most fanfic writers are yaoi fangirls does that mean there is more well written slash then straight? Hmm I need charts and graphs.
ANightmareDarkly

Unread postby QuoteMyFoot » December 14th, 2009, 1:17 pm

Damnit! I need to find the time to listen to these.

I promise to leave a comment when I get round to it. :(
QuoteMyFoot

Unread postby unknown547 » December 14th, 2009, 10:59 pm

Yay loose pretext to ask exactly what you asked: what is the point/joy of/attraction to MPreg I read one once and well...the words "What is this I don't even... :? " were uttered...a lot. It reminds me of that episode of the Cosby show that ended up being All just a dream only waaayyy more squicky due to biology failure...not that giving "Birth" to food is much better but...other than reminding me of that horror it was good as always though it brought a weird thought to mind mostly because you talked about good and bad fanfiction if 90% of everything is crap and most fanfic writers are yaoi fangirls does that mean there is more well written slash then straight? Hmm I need charts and graphs.
I must admit a very large portion of slash fiction is crap... maybe moreso than het. Het usually tend to have buildup more often than slash.

On the other hand if it were possible in real life I'd be all for my significant other being the one to get preggers if we ever have kids. That's about the only way I can understand mpreg myself.
unknown547

Return to “%s” General Discussion