Some interesting 'news' pieces

A place to kick back, relax, and have a friendly discussion with intelligent people.

Re: Some interesting 'news' pieces

Unread postby Kirai » December 24th, 2009, 9:20 pm

Although I wouldn't be surprised if this one turned out to be a hoax, if true this would confirm my own beliefs on the subject of 'global warming'
http://market-ticker.denninger.net/arch ... FLASH.html
http://factcheck.org/2009/12/climategate/

Just stumbled over this, don't know how accurate it is, but it does seem to dismantle the arguments quite nicely.
Kirai

Unread postby Dervon » December 24th, 2009, 10:33 pm

Although I wouldn't be surprised if this one turned out to be a hoax, if true this would confirm my own beliefs on the subject of 'global warming'

Just stumbled over this, don't know how accurate it is, but it does seem to dismantle the arguments quite nicely.
Good one, Kirai. I was getting the feeling that things were blown waaaay out of proportion and taken out of context with the original leak and the response it received. My two cents, anyway.
Dervon

Unread postby Nasdaq » December 25th, 2009, 12:28 pm

Good one, Kirai. I was getting the feeling that things were blown waaaay out of proportion and taken out of context with the original leak and the response it received. My two cents, anyway.
Not relly, FactCheck.Org is a fairly left-wing website. Now, I'm not making a big arguement one way or the other (for records sake, I'm very right-wing when it comes to US politics), but would simply point out that FactCheck.org is not the first site I'd go for confirmation, no more then I'd jump on Human Events or the Weekly Standard (which are both conservative magazines, if you're out of the loop) for confirmations on it.

Read the e-mails yourself. I mean, I think they actually just add another layer to my skepticism of global warming, these aren't the first thing at all. Just another stage to it. That being said, are they concerning? Yes. Is the fact that the research center has literally deleted date concerning? Yes. But honestly, moreso then the global warming parts, I find the fact they've deleted e-mails and stuff in direct response to a freedom of information act request even more disturbing.

Does this put a nail in the coffin of global warming? No, mainly because if you believe it, this is unlikely to shake you and if you don't believe it, it's just more confirmation of what you already know. You know?

On a completely unrelated note: Mankind lacks the ability to wipe itself out, and while I'm no fan of war, I must say that I think most wars are inevitable in some way or another, and technology, and society, leaps farther ahead during war then it does during peace.

But even if we detonated every nuke we had, we still wouldn't kill ourselves off. We are literally incapable of killing ourselves. So I don't worry.
"Sasuke was not really happy with his team. The shy Hyuuga, and the laziest person he'd ever known where not people he'd have picked. And he never expected how a blue-eyed, blond-haired, and newly minted jounin would transform them all into a true team." - Naruto-sensei, currently in Arc 2: The Chuunin Exams
Nasdaq

AOL: VindicatedHunter

Unread postby SquirrelyRequiem » December 25th, 2009, 12:37 pm

Hrmmm, you know, I'm rather curious to see if that's true or not now. I do believe it's entirely possible to wipe out the human race, the methods simply aren't currently available. Even barring the whole LHC hyperbole of the Earth being consumed by a Big Black Hungry Writhing Mass of Non-Mass, I do think that we'll eventually come across the wrong technology, cut the wrong wires, and detonate our own proverbial time bomb.
SquirrelyRequiem

Unread postby Darkandus » December 25th, 2009, 1:18 pm

On a completely unrelated note: Mankind lacks the ability to wipe itself out, and while I'm no fan of war, I must say that I think most wars are inevitable in some way or another, and technology, and society, leaps farther ahead during war then it does during peace.

But even if we detonated every nuke we had, we still wouldn't kill ourselves off. We are literally incapable of killing ourselves. So I don't worry.
What? No seriously. What?

It would be ridiculously easy to wipe out humanity or at least a massive proportion of them. The problem is you are thinking too straight forward.

If you dug down into the surface of the earth, sealed the tunnel to maximise destructive potential and directed the blast upwards, with a single nuke you could put hundreds of thousands, if not millions of tons of radioactive material into the atmosphere. Now multiply that by a hundred or a thousand and you have titanic amounts of radioactive material floating around.
Spoiler: show
Darkandus

Unread postby SquirrelyRequiem » December 25th, 2009, 1:26 pm

Then follow it up with the eruption of that one volcano off the coast of Africa.

Is there a way to trigger volcanic eruptions?
SquirrelyRequiem

Unread postby Nasdaq » December 25th, 2009, 1:36 pm

Oh, we could kill billions or trillions and destroy our civilization, but humanity is too widespread and too persistent to exterminate like that. Cockroaches got nothing.
"Sasuke was not really happy with his team. The shy Hyuuga, and the laziest person he'd ever known where not people he'd have picked. And he never expected how a blue-eyed, blond-haired, and newly minted jounin would transform them all into a true team." - Naruto-sensei, currently in Arc 2: The Chuunin Exams
Nasdaq

AOL: VindicatedHunter

Unread postby Darkandus » December 25th, 2009, 2:16 pm

Humanity is fragile as hell. The vast majority of humans who live in cities cannot survive without the support network of society. Farmers rely on their ability to produce food. Tribsemen rely on the hundreds or thousands of years of knowledge that they have of surviving in their own specific environment. Destroy the society, destroy the ability to produce food and destroy the environment too rapidly to adapt to and Humanity is up the proverbial creek. Humanity will go extinct some day. Believing otherwise is just wishful thinking.
Last edited by Darkandus on December 25th, 2009, 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler: show
Darkandus

Unread postby Dervon » December 25th, 2009, 2:31 pm

NOT UNLESS THE TECHNOLOGICAL SINGULARITY HAPPENS BEFORE THAT, AMIRITE, MAJOR MOTOKO?!

Dervon

Unread postby AntiNaba » December 25th, 2009, 3:15 pm

I certainly hope so.

AntiNaba

Unread postby SquirrelyRequiem » December 25th, 2009, 3:18 pm

Awww, poor Kimiko. Don't worry, we'll have a singularity of -some- kind soon!
SquirrelyRequiem

Unread postby AntiNaba » December 25th, 2009, 3:27 pm

Dresden Codak: For when xkcd isn't quite enough.
AntiNaba

Unread postby Dervon » December 25th, 2009, 3:56 pm

Dresden Codak: For when xkcd's "art" isn't quite enough.
Fixed it for you.
Dervon

Unread postby AntiNaba » December 25th, 2009, 4:09 pm

Aye.

Did you see the Dinosaur comic imitation? DO WANT.
AntiNaba

Unread postby tjchaos » January 2nd, 2010, 9:44 pm

Does this put a nail in the coffin of global warming? No, mainly because if you believe it, this is unlikely to shake you and if you don't believe it, it's just more confirmation of what you already know. You know?
That about sums up the whole thing. Interestingly enough though the 'Farmers Almanac' is predicting a bitterly cold winter this year:
http://news.mainetoday.com/updates/031815.html

That's a hard one to judge, for man made type stuff anyway. With a typical nuclear war scenario you're most likely correct and I doubt even Darkandus's scenario is likely to get us all. The most common dangerous radioactive fallout materials would become relatively harmless after a few weeks and there are thousands if not millions of people in the U.S. alone that have fallout shelters capable of getting them past that time period. Granted lifespans would become shorter and cancer rates higher but someone, somewhere some people would survive. Supposedly the Russians have entire city sized fallout shelters ready to go but I doubt that they're all the rumors say they are if they even exist. I'm sure the Russians have at least as extensive government shelters as the U.S. has but I'm not so sure about the whole 'underground city' concept. Also Switzerland has a ridiculously extensive fallout shelter system that was meant to protect every citizen in Switzerland from radioactive fallout for two years. Keep in mind that there are more people living in Hiroshima and Nagasaki today than there were before the two cities got nuked. There's also that guy up in Canada that buried a bunch of school buses for his fallout shelter for an example of a large private shelter. If something were to wipe all of us out I would think some sort of bio weapon would be far more likely to be able to do so than nukes. Even that would be hard to say if it'd kill everyone. As for all the high energy experiments I think that is basically impossible to gauge. Although there's certainly a possibility that something could happen that would actually destroy the planet, something like artificially triggering a new Big Bang. Nanotech gobblers are another interesting possibility but I think that's more science fiction as far as the gray goo scenario goes anyway.

As for natural disaster type stuff, I think the most likely to threaten us as a species would be a super volcano eruption. Although we apparently managed to squeak through one already about 70,000 or so years ago when Toba last went off in a big way. A big rock from space would do us in if it were big enough, say in excess of a hundred miles in diameter, possibly larger. Also interesting to me is that a biological has the dual tag of falling in both natural and man made categories. Massive solar flare like in that Nicolas Cage movie 'Knowing' might do the trick, depends on how long it lasts.

I do think that there are a lot of things that will possibly wipe out a large number of people on the planet. Seems like the current economic problems have a chance of taking out somewhere between a few hundred million and a few billion if things get really bad. There's a whole mess of other things as well that could cause a massive die off, peak oil is one of the more interesting ones to me but there are a bunch of others.
tjchaos

Unread postby gman391 » January 2nd, 2010, 10:14 pm

On the whole I think we're to damn stubborn to die through man made means. A extra terrestrial event could do it but it's iffy. Well I suppose that God could do it if you believe in that sort of thing. (Hope to hell we have a New Testament God though...the Old Testament one was not nice)
"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby tjchaos » January 2nd, 2010, 10:28 pm

Oh, almost forgot another interesting news bit.

Can you say opps:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldne ... uzhou.html
tjchaos

Unread postby gman391 » January 2nd, 2010, 11:36 pm

So it's not just Italians who fuck up when dealing with towers....
"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby tjchaos » January 2nd, 2010, 11:46 pm

I imagine that the designers and builders laughed their asses off when that happened. I love the one pic showing all the people in the foreground completely unconcerned about the hanging building half in the background.
tjchaos

Unread postby SLAMU » March 19th, 2010, 4:27 pm

I call upon the powers of necromancy: internet, do my bidding! Post this post in a dead thread! Be sure and make it so that it is read!
This might seem interesting to some. Who else here thinks they could pull it off if they had a decent internet connection?
I also want to draw your attention to something at the end of the article: They are making HAL. They are even going as far as recreating its voice. I am so glad that they'll be getting it off the planet when they are done.
SLAMU

Return to “%s” General Discussion