Some interesting 'news' pieces

A place to kick back, relax, and have a friendly discussion with intelligent people.

Some interesting 'news' pieces

Unread postby tjchaos » November 21st, 2009, 3:57 pm

This is the second or third time I've come across a tungsten gold bars story in recent months.
http://www.commodityonline.com/futures- ... 12877.html
Considering that the very first sentence is wrong about the silver plated zinc dimes I tend to discount it but it is an interesting/disturbing story if it turns out to have any truth to the tungsten bars parts of the article.

I didn't know they had any sort of 'death certificate' 2,000 or so years ago:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/commen ... 925371.ece

Although I wouldn't be surprised if this one turned out to be a hoax, if true this would confirm my own beliefs on the subject of 'global warming'
http://market-ticker.denninger.net/arch ... FLASH.html

A new 'Louisiana Purchase'? Perhaps 'How to buy a politicians vote legally?'
http://blogs.abcnews.com/thenote/2009/1 ... -vote.html

I knew that real estate was down and Michigan has been hit harder than most of the rest of the U.S. but this seems more than a little ridiculous:
http://features.csmonitor.com/economyre ... or-583000/
tjchaos

Re: Some interesting 'news' pieces

Unread postby Nebula1701 » November 21st, 2009, 6:10 pm

GAH I hate how my state is self destructing.....

we need to get those new tech and movie companies in here faster >.>
Nebula1701

Yahoo Messenger: nebula1701@gmail.com
AOL: nebula1701

Unread postby AntiNaba » November 21st, 2009, 7:31 pm

I might actually care more if America was allied to either of my countries... or even worth allying with in the first place.

Y'know, it's funny. My country has Climate Change doubters too. Only here, they're restricted to Sandwich board men and priests, rather than Senators.
AntiNaba

Unread postby ewuvi » November 21st, 2009, 7:35 pm

The LOL CLIMATE CHANGE IS A HOAX thing got a :roll: from me. It's things like that that make everyone think Americans are idiots.
ewuvi

Unread postby AntiNaba » November 21st, 2009, 7:44 pm

'Think' they're idiots? They're cannibals at the least. I mean, they eat Chitterlings!
AntiNaba

Unread postby ewuvi » November 21st, 2009, 7:46 pm

Hey. So I'm an idiot to you? Wow, thanks. Good to know.

I think I'm going to cry now.
ewuvi

Unread postby AntiNaba » November 21st, 2009, 7:51 pm

Don't get me wrong, I think everyone is an idiot. Vitriol is my substitute for Hemaglobin.

That's right, I egest bile and hatred.
AntiNaba

Unread postby ewuvi » November 21st, 2009, 7:53 pm

Is this a genetic defect?
ewuvi

Unread postby AntiNaba » November 21st, 2009, 7:59 pm

It certainly makes using the John an interesting experience, I'll tell you that much.

Granddad and the others of my family can't stand them, either. Even Cousin Johnny gets a little flak for living in Columbus, Ohio.
AntiNaba

Unread postby tjchaos » November 21st, 2009, 8:50 pm

I've read a lot, ridiculous amounts of stuff, about climate change and CO2 levels over the past decade or so. I used to think the whole CO2 causes global warming had a lot of validity but the more I read the more I would find oddities that didn't make any sense. After a while I really started doubting the whole thing had any sort of solid standing. Especially considering that there are far more pressing environmental issues than CO2 levels. The whole argument seems more smoke and mirrors than reality and the end goal seems to more wealth distribution from the U.S. to much of the 3rd world than any real concern about the environment. The truly funny thing about that though is the U.S. doesn't seem to really have much in the way of wealth anymore and it looks like there's somewhere between a 25% and 75% chance that the U.S. will drop into the '3rd world' sometime in the next two years.

*edit*
Nebula1701, I'd get out of that state at all costs if I were you. I've been trying to talk a friend out of the Detroit suburbs for a number of years but his wife's family is there and they all can't up and move it seems. With problems like this:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/w ... 926247.ece
I don't see any amount of new tech jobs helping. Especially considering that Detroit politics would make any business think 6 times before heading to MI. Might be a bit different elsewhere, maybe Grand Rapids or the U.P. but Detroit is likely going to suck money out of the rest of the state the more it collapses.
tjchaos

Unread postby Nebula1701 » November 21st, 2009, 9:00 pm

I live North outside of Detroit... our area isn't that bad off... (Oakland county is actually one of the richest counties in MI)

Detroit is actually on the long run to recovery now that they got a new decent Mayor.
Nebula1701

Yahoo Messenger: nebula1701@gmail.com
AOL: nebula1701

Unread postby Phht » November 21st, 2009, 9:05 pm

Global Warming is something that I, personally, do not believe in. I'm willing to accept that it is the case should clear evidence come out that the world is indeed getting warmer... rather than it seeming to be getting colder.

Though I also admit that any side that Al "I created the internet" Gore is on immediately has a harder time making its case. Especially if he gets a Nobel for his support of that topic.
"BTW, Phht your ability to think of a plot bunny about any situation impresses me, amuses me and horrifies me. All at the same time. Good for you!" - doc.exe
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Naruto RP: Higure Yuuhi (Sp Jonin, age 20, Konoha)
RP Atlas - Naruto RP wiki
Phht

Unread postby tjchaos » November 21st, 2009, 10:11 pm

I live North outside of Detroit... our area isn't that bad off... (Oakland county is actually one of the richest counties in MI)

Detroit is actually on the long run to recovery now that they got a new decent Mayor.

Considering the history of decline I'm amazed that the democratic party gets any votes in Detroit and I really haven't read or heard of anything good in Detroit politics but doing a quick read on wikipedia it looks like Bing is exactly what Detroit needs to hopefully pull itself out of the massive hole it's in. I certainly don't envy the guy and hope he succeeds but I think the challenges may be too much for anyone.
tjchaos

Unread postby gman391 » November 21st, 2009, 10:16 pm

I'm Canadian so by default I'm required to believe in climate change unless I live in Alberta. Besides regardless of whether or not it actually exists. It's still a good way to motivate people into cleaning up the environment. Which is a good thing.

All I know about Detroit is that the Red Wings are the enemy.

Still corruption is bad and all that.
"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby tjchaos » November 21st, 2009, 10:51 pm

I'm Canadian so by default I'm required to believe in climate change unless I live in Alberta. Besides regardless of whether or not it actually exists. It's still a good way to motivate people into cleaning up the environment. Which is a good thing.
Actually if they are in fact lying about the temperature changes in order to 'save the environment' it's a horrible way to motivate people because not only will it only work for the time the lie is believed but once exposed it will majorly marginalize any other or all calls to action to deal with environmental problems that occur after the lie is exposed.
tjchaos

Unread postby gman391 » November 22nd, 2009, 12:14 am

Wait you expect people to actually remember this in twenty years? By then we'll be so hardwired to be environmental friendly that it won't matter. Then China will take over the world. No using a lie to motivate people is bad no exceptions. But in this case the dogma on both sides ensures that it will be lies regardless. And I'd rather have a lie in favour of earth rather than against it.
"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby tjchaos » November 22nd, 2009, 2:08 am

Twenty years? Nope but it might go five. I'm not too sure that China is going to take over the world. From what I've read they'll be lucky if their country survives another twenty years. The whole CO2=bad always cracks me up but even more so once you start to factor in China. The fact that they were exempt from Kyoto treaty basically invalidated it as far as being 'save the environment' and showed it was really 'play games with money'. The environmental damage they're doing to themselves is ridiculous. I recently read an article about those 'green' compact florescent bulbs. Great here in the U.S. but not so great in one of the factories they're made in over in China. Out of something like 120 employees in that plant somewhere around 120 or so had mercury levels so high that they were all getting sick and winding up in the hospital. I'm expecting them to launch a heavy invasion of Africa sometime in the next five years or so because they seem intent on making much of Asia uninhabitable. In many ways they've already started, there's even 'gated Chinese communities' in some African countries that have strict 'Chinese only' policies.
tjchaos

Unread postby gman391 » November 22nd, 2009, 2:25 am

Touché tj Touché

Well regardless of China's.....apparent problems with the concepts of resource and environment management. I still expect them to try and take over the world at some point. If only because they need something for all the men to do.
All right co2 is bad but the real problem is that we have no real way to get rid of it. And yes the Kyoto Accord (and most likely the Copenhagen Accord) is all a bunch of political posturing.
Still shouldn't we be at least trying to save the environment? If nothing else I don't want the States invading Canada after we stop giving them water and power.
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby tjchaos » November 22nd, 2009, 2:53 am

Touché tj Touché

Well regardless of China's.....apparent problems with the concepts of resource and environment management. I still expect them to try and take over the world at some point. If only because they need something for all the men to do.
All right co2 is bad but the real problem is that we have no real way to get rid of it. And yes the Kyoto Accord (and most likely the Copenhagen Accord) is all a bunch of political posturing.
Still shouldn't we be at least trying to save the environment? If nothing else I don't want the States invading Canada after we stop giving them water and power.
Even considering their 'excessive man problem' I just don't see them going for the whole world. The old one child per family policy combined with their societies belief that sons are better than daughters has led to only 30 million or so men in China that will never be able to marry and raise a family. I'd worry more about the 300 million, 600 million or maybe even all 1.3 billion of them that are having trouble getting clean drinking water and having trouble breathing the air over there. Still from a strategic perspective taking Africa is probably their best bet. There's plenty of resources and it'd likely be pretty easy to set off many of the factions there against each other.

As for the environment CO2 is so low on my list of environmental problems I'm always amazed that anyone takes it seriously at all. Excessive use of nitrogen fertilizers is a much bigger danger in my book and that one is also something that China is likely going to really hurt themselves over in the relatively near future.
tjchaos

Unread postby gman391 » November 22nd, 2009, 4:09 am

How would they get there? the People's Liberation Army Navy (PLAN) is about as useful as a FOX t.v. Executive.
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby AntiNaba » November 22nd, 2009, 4:10 am

Global Warming is something that I, personally, do not believe in. I'm willing to accept that it is the case should clear evidence come out that the world is indeed getting warmer... rather than it seeming to be getting colder.

Though I also admit that any side that Al "I created the internet" Gore is on immediately has a harder time making its case. Especially if he gets a Nobel for his support of that topic.
I don't believe in Global Warming either. Then again, I don't believe in electricity, either. And yet the lightbulb still turns on when I flick the switch.

And as for the rest: Methane is roughly four times the danger of a greenhouse gas than CO2. Y'know, cows and larger lifestock. Which America's kind chock full of.
AntiNaba

Unread postby Phht » November 22nd, 2009, 4:24 am

And as for the rest: Methane is roughly four times the danger of a greenhouse gas than CO2. Y'know, cows and larger lifestock. Which America's kind chock full of.
Maybe the danger from CO2 takes into account all the politicians around the world blowing a lot of hot air daily? :leaving:
"BTW, Phht your ability to think of a plot bunny about any situation impresses me, amuses me and horrifies me. All at the same time. Good for you!" - doc.exe
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Naruto RP: Higure Yuuhi (Sp Jonin, age 20, Konoha)
RP Atlas - Naruto RP wiki
Phht

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » November 22nd, 2009, 4:25 am

No, because most of that's methane as well. I mean, considering what they're all full of, it'd have to be.
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby AntiNaba » November 22nd, 2009, 4:38 am

When they say talking out their asses, they mean it. They just gotta make do with the medium.
AntiNaba

Unread postby tjchaos » November 22nd, 2009, 11:15 am

I think you're off there, I'm pretty sure that methane is closer to 20 times more powerful than CO2 in regards to being a greenhouse gas.
tjchaos

Return to “%s” General Discussion