Introductions - Tell us a little about you!

A place to kick back, relax, and have a friendly discussion with intelligent people.

Introductions - Tell us a little about you!

Unread postby runsamok » April 19th, 2008, 9:13 pm

Please take a moment to introduce yourself!

If you are new to Viridian Dreams or have been lurking and would like to introduce yourself to the the community, this is the place to say hello! Lurkers, this includes you, maybe you have been a member for some time, don't be shy, click the reply button!
Sincerely,
Lindsey Schocke (aka Runsamok)

"In the penny jar of life, I want to be a quarter."
runsamok

Re: Introductions - Tell us a little about you!

Unread postby viridian » April 19th, 2008, 9:16 pm

Hello,

I'm a book and RPG junkie who's in his upper 30s and lives in the Southeasterm United States. I started with basic D&D in 1978, so yes, that means I have characters old enough to legally drink. =) While I still hold a warm place in my heart for Gary Gygax's creation, I think Shadowrun offered me the most flexibility as far as game mechanics goes. R.I.P. Mr. Gygax...

Started reading Harry Potter around the time the Prisoner of Azkaban came out, and my wife and I have been hooked ever since. Other favorites include David & Leigh Eddings, Christopher Stasheff, and Robert Heinlein.

I've written a few original novels that I'm trying to get a publisher or agent interested in... right now I'm working on my collection of rejection letters.

Harry Potter and the Nightmares of Futures Past is an idea that started bugging me late in October. Harry finally tricks Voldemort and destroys him, but the cost is far, far too high. He makes a desperate attempt to go back and "do it right this time" - even if it means returning Voldemort to life. Now a traumatized and war-weary 30 year old Harry Potter is trapped in the body of an 11 year old, about to begin attending Hogwarts. Can he make it right this time, or will he be thwarted by fate? Plotline picks up after HBP. Canon pairings, H/G, R/H, N/L.

The Blackwand Chronicles is an attempt to weave an original story within the confines of JKR's canon... (I'm trying to take this as a serious exercise in writing discipline, so if you see me violate something from Canon, please drop me a review and let me know.) Her characters will make appearances, but the focus will mostly lie on a group of first year students who start two years after Harry and Crew (tm). Amazingly enough, they seem to have even worse luck than the Gryffindors. I flatter myself to think that I'm taking this story in a direction that I haven't seen done yet, but I could be wrong. (Due to reader response this is on Hiatus in favor of Nightmares.)

Clever Hans is a gaming piece I wrote involving the backstory to a popular NPC from one of my table-top Shadowrun campaigns. Technically, everything that happens is possible under the second and third edition rule-set. Feel free to email me with any questions or guesses.

Team 8 was written to give me a small breather from NoFP, but it's since taken on a life of it's own and introduced me to a whole new fandom.

Out of the Darkness: A Jinchuuriki's Tale is also set in the Naruto universe, but not the same AU as Team 8.

-Matthew
-
Viridian
viridian
Site Admin

Unread postby VoiceoftheNephilim » April 19th, 2008, 9:22 pm

If Viridian gets to repost introductions from other sites, then so do I :)
Reposted from the DLP forums.

Greetings. The moniker is Voice of the Nephilim, if you hadn’t already deduced that by looking at the top left-hand corner of this post.

I stumbled upon this forum when reading Jbern’s “To Fight the Coming Darkness”. I had been enjoying his author notes when they began to diminish in length, and began to point towards this board. I resisted for a while, but eventually checked it out, and all the treasures that reside within.

My excursions into fan-fiction began a few months before Deathly Hallows had been released, and I was looking for information. One link brought me to a supposed leak of book seven, which while I was certainly not ignorant enough to believe was the real thing, decided to read anyway for lack of anything better to do at the time. This fiction was Melindadeo’s “The Seventh Horcrux”. While I definitely hated the angst and quite perplexingly detailed analysis’ of Ron’s chest, I did find some of the ideas interesting. The version I read was at PhoenixSong, so I checkout out their top ten and started reading. Read “The Awakening Power”, which I found to be even more angsty, and thus worse. Also, the story only seemed to include two wizard fights, with the rest being against goblins on flying desks. Not exactly breathtaking material, in my estimation. I then tried Viridian’s “Nightmares of Future Past”, which I thought was absolutely fantastic, and still follow to this day. I traveled to Viridian’s message board, where someone name-dropped JBern's “To Fight the Coming Darkness”. I sought it out, and was shocked and amazed by it, as this was the first fiction I’ve ever read that actually felt like war, and reinforced this by brutal violence and common character death by the dozen.

I’ve read quite a bit since then, almost exclusively from recommendations from the library. I’m not very picky in what I read, as I typically go by the ratings in the library, and read most fictions above a 4 star rating that are rated as M. I don’t have much of an interest in stories outside an M rating, aside from the occasional divergence. I do tend to like stories regarding time-travel, and canon events thus unfurling in a different manner. I assume this is because I am relatively new to fan-fiction, and have not seen it done a great number of times. I’m also fond of great action sequences, which means that Jbern is my favorite active author. His “The Lie I’ve Lived” is my current favorite story.

Other favorites of mine include IP82’s two main longer stories, NoFP, Dakaath (though I was disappointed to find the smut cut when I read it), HP and the Hero’s Path, HP and the Litany of Blood, Resistance of Azkaban, In the Clockface (just started, but I already like it that much), What Would Slytherin Harry Do?, and a few others.

I honestly couldn’t care less about the pairing, just as long as it’s not gay (I think this is what the term “slash” refers to), or him screwing the entirety of the female wizarding populace. I have no problem with smut, and think that sometimes it’s entirely appropriate (the missing scenes in Dakaath come to mind, considering the rest of the content). I will admit I’m quite fond of Susan Bones and fem!Blaise however. There seems to be a great deal of Ginny hate on the DLP forums, which I am rather ambivalent towards, as I don’t really care.

I’m not a huge fan of where Dumbledore is made to be an evil, conniving person. Unless explained in a fantastic fashion, as in IP82’s “Potter’s Resistance”. I view him as a shining beacon of light for the wizarding world, whose decisions may sometimes be bad, but always had the welfare of others at the foremost in his mind. It seems to me that too often Dumbledore is painted as someone to be hated without real justification.

I find Snape is almost always more interesting when portrayed evil in some fashion. I care not to his true allegiances, just as long as he is not stripped of the obvious power he displays in canon. I don’t care what an author does with any of the rest of the characters, just as long as it’s well written and suitably explained or justified in the fiction.

I prefer fiction to be violent in nature. I don’t really mind if Harry is light or dark, just as long as he doesn’t have kids gloves on.

I’m pulling together ideas for my own fiction. I may not ever write anything, but I’m certainly going to give it a shot once I cement my ideas a bit more.

As for the person who lies outside the bounds of fan-fiction:

24 year old male, living on the Northeast coast of Massachusetts, with his loving fiancé. Almost finished with my bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering at University of Massachusetts, Lowell, only three credits shy of graduation. That is currently on hold, as I have found a good job as a power plant technician that provides overtime, usually for a total of anywhere from 40 – 90 hours a week, with 50 being the mode.

I’m a fairly large reader outside of fiction, currently reading Mark Danielewski’s “House of Leaves”, Chuck Palahniuk’s “Invisible Monsters”, and Philip K. Dick’s “A Scanner Darkly”. Those are my favorite authors, along with Stephen King. I play a fair bit of video games, most recently Bioshock, Guitar Hero 3, and Madden 08.

My interest is music, with myself owning around 500 CD’s. My name is taken from 80’s goth rock band Fields of the Nephilim, whom I believe the to be without peer. However, that is rather an anomaly, seeing as my main taste is Black Metal. I play bass for a currently on-hiatus Black Metal band, although most of my contributions are of a thematic and lyrical kind, as I completely suck as bass.

I am almost unhealthily obsessed with the TV show "Lost". As a great many people can attest to.

I think that about covers it.
VoiceoftheNephilim

Unread postby runsamok » April 19th, 2008, 9:36 pm

I am Matthew's wife and beta, Lindsey. An avid reader, I devour books of all shapes, sizes, and genres, but my favorites would be fantasy and science fiction. My other hobbies include piano, singing, poetry, and managing several web sites. I frequently play table-top and online role playing games. Matthew and I have a growing anime collection and a very playful border collie named Petey.
Sincerely,
Lindsey Schocke (aka Runsamok)

"In the penny jar of life, I want to be a quarter."
runsamok

Unread postby forbin » April 19th, 2008, 9:56 pm

I'm an avid reader who has worked as a software developer for the past few years to feed his book habit. Unfortunately with the way book prices are nowadays I end up working more than I read. I love to play tabletop RPGs, but had lapsed for quite awhile until Matt and Lindsey started up a series of D&D games a few months ago.

I actually didn't start reading fanfiction until 2005, and luckily enough NoFP was one of the first stories I found. Along with Naruto and HP fics I also enjoy reading Ranma, Buffy and just about any well written fic I can find.
[Bored Moderator - Mod posts shall be in this color]
forbin

Unread postby Lochar » April 19th, 2008, 10:02 pm

Hi, I'm Lochar. Also, Brandon. Lochar's the online handle, sometimes lengthened to Lochar Isma. Cookie to those who get the reference.

Anyways, I live in the Florida Panhandle. Better known as the Plywood State. While I haven't been gaming long enough to have characters able to drink (I'd have had to start playing when I was three!), I have been gaming in one form or another for 10-12 years.

*waves to everyone* Just one of your friendly mods, here to nerf all your posts.

And tease you about Team 8 spoilers. Did you know that Naruto is a ninja?
Lochar

Unread postby LightLink17 » April 19th, 2008, 10:17 pm

I'm me. I'm young, or so I'm told, but feel very old. I live in America, I suppose, and I'm in college at the moment working on a degree in English and Philosophy and Foreign Language.

I like to read, but I'm very picky in what I like. I like all genres, but I have a hate for unrealistic things, so I can't handle self contradictory settings, abilities, plots, or anything of the sort well. My favourite genres would be fantasy, and Alternate History. I have a fairly large hate for science fiction unless it's Robert Sawyer. I love music, and have never met a genre that I couldn't find something to like in. I watch anime every now and then. I like white chocolate, and hate milk and dark chocolate. Eating white chocolate is a hobby of mine. I don't like cookies, or cake, or most sweets, I don't like peanut butter, and I don't like ice cream that isn't vanilla. I do like taffy, though, I don't get it very often. I used to like pie, but I don't any more. Same with doughnuts. I like food in general though, and I give a lot of thought to what I want to eat, because I can only eat so much in a day.

I like Magic: The Gathering, but I haven't been able to play in almost a year. The shop I used to go to closed down, so now I can't go to tournaments any more. I've never "played" DnD, but I DM all the time. I don't like it, but it's what I have to do if I want to play at all. I don't like many video games. I don't watch films often any more, but I have a lot of favourites. I don't like television much.

I like fanfiction. I read it and write it. I only like AU's though. I don't see much of a point in reading anything that isn't an AU.

Harry Potter specific, I hate Manipulative!Dumbledore and Independant!Harry, because these are never done "right". I don't much like reading Unrealistic!Snape either, on either end of the spectrum. I like Harry/Ginny. I don't like Ron or Hermione as characters so I tend to dislike fics that are centred around them. But I like the Ron/Hermione ship because in my mind, it gives two unliked characters to each other, so they don't have to pollute good characters. I like Luna, but am sad that the majority of fics don't portray her correctly. Too often she knows things she shouldn't (as some sort of ability), is a Seer, can see through illusions, or has some other strange power...instead of just being weird like she is in the books. I like Neville too. I can't stand the twins constantly shown to finish each other's sentences. I'll read it, but I won't like it. I also don't like anybody but Luna saying "Ronald" because nobody ever called Ron such a name besides Luna in canon, but it happens far too often in fics. Besides Harry/Ginny, I like Draco/Ginny, Tom/Ginny, and Severus/Lily. Oh, and I don't like anybody but the twins doing pranks. Nobody in canon has ever done a prank or expressed interest in doing a prank, besides the twins and the twin's friends.

Naruto Specific...I don't read Naruto any more, and definitely don't watch it. It got terrible. I've always hated Sasuke, I dislike Sakura's character, and as soon as the story started worrying a lot about how cool people are instead of plot, It died for me. But I like Naru/Hina, so I might find myself rarely trying out an AU fic because of that.

I like pepsi more than coke. And I collect plastic bottle caps and stack them.

That's about it for me.
LightLink17

Unread postby SilentWasteland » April 19th, 2008, 10:40 pm

I'm 21 years old, and I live in the Midwest United States. I currently work for a tower company. I climb cell phone and radio towers and fix what's broken on them. I've also built new towers. For the record - no, I've never used my safety equipment as a bungee harness. It's not designed that way. I have also never BASE jumped off a tower. I've only been 800 feet up, and thats hardly high enough. Those are the two most common questions I get after people find out about my job. :)

My interests include reading, primarily scifi and fantasy, video games, and just generally browsing the internet.

The first fanfiction I ever read was Nightmares of Futures Past. Since then, I've read dozens, possibly hundreds, of fanfics. My main way of finding good fanfics is from recommendation threads on forums I visit. I also will look at an author's favorite stories on ff.net. I mainly read Harry Potter and Naruto fanfic.

The reasoning behind my screen name is quite simple. I used to go by Gonzo - I got that nickname in high school band for having the largest nose out of anyone in the band. However, when I went to sign up for an Xbox Live profile, that was already taken. Since I refused to put a bunch of random numbers to get Gonzo. The reason that I eventually decided on SilentWasteland was because I was playing ChromeHounds for the 360. Since you pilot giant mechs in that game, they tend to leave a silent wasteland behind after a battle, and I envisioned my self standing victorious. :)

Edit: If you have facebook and want to add me. Search for Alex Schultz. The only network I'm in is the Kansas network.
Last edited by SilentWasteland on April 21st, 2008, 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SilentWasteland

Unread postby Zerrat » April 19th, 2008, 11:45 pm

The name's Zerrat, and I'm usually the lurking variety of forumer. I'm a uni student in Australia (just started! [/noob]) and enjoy biology, psychology, reading, writing and hanging around on the internet. I've tried my hand at original fiction a few times, but the ideas seem to just burn out.

I first read Team 8 after I saw a review on one of my favourite author's fics comparing theirs to Team 8 a bit. After a bit, I clicked on the link and the rest is history! :lol:

As a side note, I'm a total anime geek, a Final Fantasy nerd and I sew fan-made plushies for conventions in Australia. The goal is to get 30 done by Manifest this September! (and I'm so totally behind!)
Zerrat

Unread postby ShonenHero » April 20th, 2008, 12:11 am

Hi, my name is Spencer Rutherford. I recently turned eighteen not but a couple months ago, and I must say that it wasn't as life-changing as I assumed it'd be. I'm currently located in the boonies of the Northwest of the good ol' USA. As of this moment I'm still attending my senior year of high school, and I'm hoping to graduate by next year.

I generally get enjoyment out of most geeky things, whether it be science fiction novels or fantasy adventure games. The only thing that really ever hinders my enjoyment of such things is my lack of understanding. >_< So if you ever see me pop up with an odd question about this or that, I'd appreciate if you indulge me with an answer. ;P

I first got into fanfiction four or so years ago when I started my own. It wasn't very good, but it was my introduction into the wonderfully bizarre world that is fanfiction. As the years have gone by, I've found that I prefer reading over writing. I've read quite a few things since then, ranging from very unique to very disturbing. One of the better things I've come across over time is Matthew Schocke's writings, whether it's just his writing drabbles or his full-length fanfiction. Since I was a part of the fandom of both Naruto and Harry Potter, I guess you could say that I got the best of both worlds when it came to his stories. :)

Oh, and if you were all wondering where my username came from, the bla--Er, I mean the credit goes to one of my friends from another forum community.
ShonenHero

Yahoo Messenger: chubbs.panbuukin
AOL: canera411

Unread postby Greybane » April 20th, 2008, 12:50 am

I'm Greybane, but if you couldn't already tell that, then I would immediatly check myself into the nearst psych unit available.

Besides having an unhealthy enjoyment of puns and sarcasm, I adore reading pretty much anything. Manga, Sci-fi, Fantasy, even Romance (despite my refusal to be caught with it, I have an image to maintain after all to all the people who aren't my friends.) I write poetry, and have even started a couple fanfictions, but I enjoy reading so much more than writing.

I am currently a Senior in highschool, with no idea what they wish to do for the next 60-odd years of life. I have absolutely amazing friends who I would gladly give my life for. I guess that may be because we are what I call the "Eclectics" the slightly crazy kids who don't fit completely fit in with other groups. I fill the role of the "slacker genius." Not quite as smart as Shikamaru, but no average idiot either. Took some I.Q. test for a few hours, and got rated as "Superior" even though I was just screwing around half the time. Got zero motivation to work, unless it is for someone I care about.

I play Magic the Gathering casually, but that is because the nearest tournament is about an hour away. Love the Lorwyn block, and eagerly awaiting Shadowmoor!

Pizza is ambrosia, orange soda sacred nectar. I got a couple funny stories about them, but then that would be way to much personal info for the internet. Probably already breaking that..ah well!

Favorite Pairings:Harry/Ginny (non-negotiable), Ron/Hermione (non-negotiable) Neville/Luna (non-negotiable), Remus/Tonks

I HATE Severitus

Favorite Pairings: Naruto/Hinata (death to all others!!!), Sikamaru/Temari (non-negotiable), Chouji/ Ino, Neji/Tenten

I got no problem with Sasuke/Sakura, I just don't support it. Though the manga does seem to be going downhill, especially the revalation about Itatchi from Madara. I mean come on...it's like the Harry is a horocrux theory. It ended up being canon, but is always gonna be stupid.

Favorite Pairings: Ichigo/Rukia (though I don't have a problem with Ichigo/Orihime) Hitsugaya/Hinamori

Ichigo's Bankai seems to have gone so far downhill though...

The name Greybane came from Runescape,though I haven't played for about half a year now. Went so far downhill too...
Last edited by Greybane on April 20th, 2008, 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Odd that. It actually worked.
Greybane

Unread postby taillwh » April 20th, 2008, 1:16 am

Hello! taillwh here, also known as sinisterDei in some places, but mostly I prefer my name - Will.

I'm in my early twenties and happily married for the past six months come this next Sunday. My wife is the one who got me into Harry Potter through the movies - I didn't pick up a HP book until after I liked the third HP movie so much. Speaking of which, I find myself in the minority that I liked the third HP movie so much - I enjoyed its more stylish, darker tone. I didn't start in on the fanfiction thing until shortly before the release of DH, once again thanks to my wife.

As for my 'pairings' preferences, I've discovered that I don't much care as long as the relationships are presented in a plausible scenario. For example, in general I detest Ginny / Draco fics simply because, in my opinion, Ginny Weasley would *never* forgive anyone associated with how TMR's diary arrived in her possession (pun not intended). Ginny/Draco *could* be done properly, if Draco was rewritten to the point that the character is essentially entirely new - such as Draco renouncing his father at an early age - but at that point, you've simply got an OC named "Draco Malfoy" so there's not much point. Oh, and I dislike slash.

I personally have near-zero creative talent of my own, as years and years of art, writing, and musical type classes have proven. I am, however, fairly handy for spelling and grammar and things of that nature when I want to be, so my contribution to the fanfiction community has been serving as a beta for JadeSeraph's Soul Nexus story for the last few chapters. I'd like to do more to help, but other than things of a technical nature I'm really not much use.

I'm pretty much your average computer dork, professionally as well as in my spare time. My day job is an enterprise server administrator for a fortune 500 company, with my team responsible for some 400+ servers. My house is home to four full blown computers and a laptop. In addition to tinkering with all sorts of things - software, hardware, operating systems, etc... - I also play many video games. I'm particularly partial to first person shooters, real time strategy games, action-oriented RPGs, and World of Warcraft on occasion. I also have a somewhat unnatural proficiency at rhythm based games such as Guitar Hero and Rock Band.

*EDIT*
In retrospect, I would also like to add that I very much enjoyed reading LightLink17's post in this thread. I thought it was quite funny ;)
taillwh

Unread postby unknown146 » April 20th, 2008, 9:55 am

I'm a hardcore dedicated lurker. :) I just really don't feel like replying whenever I feel as if it's similar to what everyone else is saying or stupid, so I tend to filter out a lot of the posts I think about before doing them. That way, only the really stupid ones I think are brilliant get through.

As a high school student who doesn't like sports and likes electronics, I probably have too much spare time. My job? Cleaning out horse stalls once a day.

In fiction interests, I read a lot of speculative fiction, and play video games. I've read all the Harry Potter books, and thought Deathly Hallows was just... MSTable in terms of some of the plot decisions. Naruto, and pretty much all Shonen anime/manga isn't my thing, but I have been known to watch the occasional series that catches my eye (Death Note, which is even more lost to bad yaoi writers than Naruto is). I will read Naruto fanfiction, as there's a significant portion of it I consider to be better than the show (Team 8 included.)

Things I Like in Fanfiction: Redo fics, AU fics, the occasional Dark fic.
Things I Dislike: Uber!MainCharacter (I.E. Son Goku!Naruto), improper text formating (no spaces between paragraphs, funky indents, double spacing), and writing that sounds awkward.

Favorite Series and Authors (all types): Larry Niven, Harry Turtledove, Terry Pratchet, Stephen King, Metal Gear, games directed by Masahiro Sakurai or Suda51 , Kingdom Hearts, Ace Attorney, Deep Space 9, Boston Legal, Stargate SG-1, Arrested Development, Mystery Science Theater 3000.
unknown146

Unread postby Nementh » April 20th, 2008, 10:01 am

Hello all, Nementh here! I've been the occasional poster to Matt's Yahoo group, and a less than consistent chapter reviewer over at his Fanficauthors.net website, though I do try to make my reviews count when I do post one. For my RL activities, I read fantasy and SF, I'm an old-line Furry (Scalie actually, but the fur-and-feather crowd never really understand the distinction), and I work as a computer hardware consultant and software support technician to keep food on the table, and storage cards for my photographic hobby. (Finally bowed to the inevitable and put my 35mm cameras in storage last year.)

I do a bit of beta reading from time to time for friends, and when the stress levels get way up there I hop into City of Heroes online and take a few mission runs as one or the other of my game personas. Up until a couple of years ago, I also did a fair amount of RPG with a local group, usually in the Hero systems framework recently, and more distantly a fair amount of time in Star Fleet Battles as my group's most stubborn Gorn Hunt Leader. :mrgreen:

I initially got recommended to Matt's works through my housemate (pretty much the ultimate lurker, I don't think Bettie's ever reviewed or even commented on any of the stories she follows online, but she's shy like that), and after just a few chapters of NoFP I was hooked. I resisted picking up the Naruto stories for a long time (got tired of the really juvenile flood over at ff.net), but once I started reading, I really had to kick myself for denying such a tasty bit of literary work for as long as I did.

Here's hoping that Matt's Muse stays a content and very productive lady for many years to come!
Nementh

Unread postby MrRigger2 » April 20th, 2008, 10:32 am

Hello everybody! I'm MrRigger, something you may have already picked up. I'm a nineteen year old electrician, currently touring Europe with Winnie the Pooh. The stage show, for those that are interested. I'm currently finishing up a break in Spain, and in the next couple days we're heading back out for a few weeks in Sweden, and after that, I'm not sure off the top of my head, but I know it's Eastern Europe. It's a lot of fun, but it's definitely tiring.

I like to read, though I haven't had a lot of time to do so in a while. I just got interested in the Dresden Files before I left for tour, and I can't find any english copies over here. I started reading Harry Potter a while after the third book came out, when a teacher recommended it to me. I stuck with it, and got into fan fiction after the fifth book, though my first fandom was actually Teen Titans, of DC fame. I didn't even think about Harry Potter until I came across a mockfic crossover. I don't even remember what it was. I trolled around a bit, and then I found This Means War, by Jeconias, and that got me hooked on HP fanfics. After that, I started through the rest of the authors on Fanfic Authors, and came across NoFP, and that got me into Team 8. Team 8 was actually the first Naruto fic I read, so I was sorely disappointed when I found out all Naruto fics weren't that good. Still, it got me hooked and I stayed with it.

I do a little bit of writing myself, and you can find my stories on fanfiction.net, if you really want to subject yourself to them. Just search for MrRigger, and you should find me.

I read HP and Naruto, but I also enjoy the occasional Bleach or BtVS fic as well. I really enjoy a good AU fic, though well written comedy is what I really love. Too bad that's harder to find than a good AU fic. Some of my favorite stories include Make A Wish, by Rorschach's Blot, and The Lie I Lived, by jbern. Though that is certainly not all, just a small sampling. Others include The Night The House Of Cards Was Built, by drakensis, and The Great Romantic, by MogtheGnome.

In addition to being the youngest crew member currently on the Winnie the Pooh tour, my accomplishments also include a black belt in American Kenpo, Eagle Scout, sustaining more concussions than is healthy in a single night, and throwing up in an international airport.

MrRigger

Also, I'm willing to beta Naruto and HP stories. Just let me know, and I'll get back to you.
In engineering, the work is only done when there is nothing left to add. In writing, the work is only done when there is nothing left to take away.

Check out Between Magic and Mount Justice
MrRigger2

Unread postby SquirrelyRequiem » April 20th, 2008, 12:24 pm

Greetings all, as the handle suggests, I am Squirrely Requiem (Or Squirrely Dirge or as some friends have come to call me, Mii ). Before he made these glorious forums I was primarily a lurker who found his stories through a chain of author favorites on Fanfiction.net. I live in Florida, hopefully not forever, and am of 20 years of age (soon to be 21). As it stands, Matt's characters are apparently older than myself (and unless I enter some sort of time paradox, will remain so).

Not really a big fan of HP or Naruto fanfiction, but his works are really just so much above I couldn't help it. Generally I stick to the Ranma 1/2 area, even having started a couple of sub-par fics myself. I like to puzzle out the mechanics for techniques and whatnot in games and anime, even if I really don't have a clue about what I'm saying or doing.

Currently in college, working towards being a game developer. I've been playing them since the NES and Deus (my DS) is my constant companion. Video games are a big thing to me despite having not played as many as I would have liked, developing them just seems to be the natural next step for me. I'm also a closet Pokemon dork, despite the battered-wife syndrome the fans have developed (myself not excluded) from the lackluster improvements in the game, I still play to this day. I'm a big fan of strategy games even if I'm no good at them, Advance Wars being a lovely series (I'm always up for a wifi match for whoever is interested).

As for music, I'm a huge fan of The Flower Kings. I'm slowly working up to Spock's Beard and The Tangent, both of which are also incredible groups. Transatlantic, King Crimson, and The Decemberists have a few good numbers as well (BIG fan of The Mariner's Revenge Song and O' Valencia).

I like some anime, but I've really stopped watching tv altogether. Obviously I'm a big fan of Ranma 1/2, Host Club was also an excellent series. Big fan of storyline driven web comics (Girl Genius and Misfile being my favorites) but enjoy XKCD just as much as the next person (another favorite). The only tv show I would watch is House, not really interested in anything else, especially not after Tech TV went downhill.

And there you have it, Mii in a nutshell.
SquirrelyRequiem

Unread postby Hihavaniceda » April 20th, 2008, 7:03 pm

Hi, just a little note to introduce myself, I am from Australia, I am definately on the wrong side of 45years old and I have worked full time as a registered nurse for almost 30 years. I have two teenagers who keep me busy and in my little spare time I love to read HP fan fiction.

I am a mathematican who could not write to save myself but I love to read.

With the help of tammy I have a small thread in an Australian chat site that we let everyone know when we find good fan fiction stories.. (and general chat) ..... and .... Viridian's story is the top of our favourites.
Hihavaniceda

Unread postby Justin Blaze » April 20th, 2008, 9:35 pm

Yo I'm Justin Blaze, otherwise known as Jordan. I'm seventeen and started getting into anime about four years ago. Team 8 was one of the first fanfics I've ever read and quite possibly the only one I'm still checking up on. I'm from East Lonmeadow MA and I'm heading off to the University of Rhode Island after this summer. As you can tell from my other posts I'm somewhat of a smartass from time to time but other than that I hope I'm pretty reasonable.
Justin Blaze

Unread postby Roxanne » April 20th, 2008, 10:44 pm

I'm Roxanne, and I don't own any red lights ;). Sorry, just pre-empting the usual reaction :oops: . I've semi-lurked on the Yahoo group for a few years now. Since I get the digest form, most often by the time I read a thread, someone else has commented with what I would say, so I just nod my head at my desk and scroll on.

I discovered NOFP from following "favorites" links on ffnet from whydoyouneedtoknow's stories. I had already been reading This Means War by Jeconais - don't remember how I found that originally - and saw some reference to NOFP on J's Yahoogroup, so that's when I looked on Yahoo and found Viridian Dreams.

I had been aware of HP for a while before I read any - being a librarian, it kind of came with the territory, especially once people started trying to have it banned. A friend of mine from the Trixie Belden fandom (another "children's" series from another time) kept nagging me to read HP, as she was already writing fanfic in it. GOF was just about to be printed, so I read 1-3 in prep for 4, got it, read it, and then found myself caught in the 3-year summer. That's when I really got into the HP fanfic - first at the original Gryffindor Tower, then Sugar Quill, on to SIYE and Checkmated. I've probably visited if not registered at most of the general fic sites. Don't really visit the ones who specialize in single pairings or topics exclusively.

Haven't quite made it to reading Team 8 yet - I tried to pick up on the Naruto anime when they had the marathon a while back, but didn't get into it. Probably my age - I was around for Astro boy back in the 1960s.

As for me, I've been a librarian since 1979 - cataloger, trainer, automation specialist, consultant and now a library services manager. Married for almost 28 years to the same man - we got married the day Mt St Helen's blew up, which I attribute to the magma fleeing hell as it froze over. No kids, 2 cats, to whom we are staff. Partial to fantasy, sf, and mystery, in that order. LOTR fan from my youth, also like Matt's favorites Eddings, Stasheff and Heinlein, as well as Mercedes Lackey, Barbara Hambly, Tim Powers and Steven Brust.
Roxanne

Unread postby U2P » April 21st, 2008, 12:37 am

Greetings,
<Insert witty, and sarcastic greeting here>. Rather than write a novel proclaiming my many great talents(I'd have to charge for the collective works!) I thought I'd simply make a list of a bunch of facts about me, since it seemed easier, and to be honest I'm pretty lazy at times. It should also be noted that I'm highly sarcastic so if I say something as a reply don't take it personally it's sarcasm most likely, and meant to entertain.

How I got into fanfiction: I actually started a few years ago on some sub par fics that at the time seemed really good to me, however since discovering T8 I've come to realize they were in fact quite terrible. Despite being well written I can't get into the Hp story NOFP. It's nothing he did wrong. I just hate Ginny, and I'm also a H/Hr fan, but don't hate me just for that there's so many other reasons you could pick!

Age+Location+Gender:22, and living in Indiana of the good Old USA. Male.

Interest: Unique ideas. I've been known to put up with sub par writings (not in the case of T8, of course) for the sake of an interesting concept, and it's a major drag to me when a book, or movie starts out with such great potential, and goes downhill (ie seems bleach is going that way sadly, ichi/Rukia is my preferred there since Ino is the only person there who uses Kurosaki-Kun as punctuation!)
I like classical music a lot, but I really like Nightwish/Foo Fighters. I'm a fan of reading, and writing, and I also maintain a couple of Characters on WoW for kicks. Oh, and for the record Hina/Nar is my fav pairing! Should you be foolish enough to challenge me to checkers you will face a defeat most sound! I'm also a huge computer nerd. Go figure right?

Character I identify with the most: Shikamaru. I breeze through life as best I can using my smarts, and try to only put in effort when needed. So far it's going well!

Things I hate: Commas. Go ahead and laugh. I'm terrible with them. I can use them except in spots where you're "supposed to put it when a person would breathe" I guess I breathe differently than most people.

Feel free to shoot me any other questions I may have failed to answer in my mini novel here!

PS. I am confident in the fact that FFTactics is the Single greatest console game...ever. Story, characters, hidden stuff....so good.
Last edited by U2P on April 21st, 2008, 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
U2P

Unread postby unknown213 » April 21st, 2008, 3:22 am

My name is Auryn and I'm a 25 year old Belgian student of "Multimedia and communications technology".

I got into Harry Potter when the first movie came out. And I got into fanfiction a few years before that.

Although I prefer crossover fanfiction as it is always fun to read how people can get different fandoms to work together in a plausible way.

I've been following NoFP from pretty early on but am not much of a reviewer and a natural born lurker, so I doubt you'll hear all that much from me here.

Besides reading books and fanfiction, I'm also into movies and music. And my hobbies are airbrush, deep sea diving and going to the local shooting range (yes shy little me is into guns).

Greetz,
Auryn
unknown213

Unread postby unknown214 » April 21st, 2008, 5:20 am

Hi! I'm 20 and spanish. I've been reading fanfictions since 2003 and NoFP since the start because my boyfriend was always looking for fics with a more adult Harry.
I'm studying Medicine and japanese (this summer I'm going to Japan!!!) and I love reading everything I get a hand on, when I was younger I was a real freak of black novel. I also like manga a lot, non-stop talking and amercian series like House, Criminal Minds, Dexter and so on.
Have a great time!
Pauchan :twisted:
unknown214

Unread postby CKeffer » April 21st, 2008, 11:37 am

My name is CKeffer or, Cameron Keffer as I sign all my posts. I am a 22 year old art student at the Art Institute of Houston studying animation. I have been on the yahoo boards for a while though I only post off and on. I enjoy reading (and a strong hunch tells me so does every one else on this forum to some extent), watching anime, and good cinema rgardless of it's age. In my free time I race cars with SCCA. I look forward to getting to know all of you, and ingaging in some stimulating debates with y'all.

-Cameron Keffer
CKeffer

Unread postby bibliophile20 » April 21st, 2008, 11:50 am

I suppose that I should get to this now. As for general details, 22 year-old guy currently enrolled at the University of Rochester, about to take a year off to avoid burnout. My interests are myriad and include gaming of all kinds, reading, geology, astronomy, lapidary arts, and several other areas; I'm also a pretty decent cook.

As for why I'm here, I'm the Authorlord's beta for Naruto fics, as well as a moderator here and back on the Yahoo-Group.
bibliophile20

Unread postby unknown218 » April 21st, 2008, 6:01 pm

Hi Everyone! I'm just dropping a quick line here. My name is Eve. I've been reading fanfiction for the greater part of...damn, I don't know... *ahem* Anyway, I've read the good, the bad, and the just plain fugly over the years. I'm travel-size short, sarcastic, 22, and swear like... (insert appropriate cliche)... My biggest pet peeve would be people with no sense of plot, structure, grammar, brains, etc. who INSIST on writing garbage and proceed to mutilate, strangle and then chuck the English language into the nearest, dirtiest ditch they can find. I also can't stand people that assume that since I'm asian, I must have 1) an accent, 2) no sense of humor, and 3) an accent. (insert appropriate rant here) But, enough about me. I'm here to join Viridian Dreams Forum because I believe in what he writes.
unknown218

Return to “%s” General Discussion