MTG Tournament, Interest Check

A place to kick back, relax, and have a friendly discussion with intelligent people.

Re: MTG Tournament, Interest Check

Unread postby Kirai » May 16th, 2010, 2:16 pm

Don't you dare take away my Jitte!

Not as if it can't be shut down ridiculously easily anyway!
Kirai

Unread postby Lthayer3 » May 16th, 2010, 8:23 pm

Jitte, Top, and I think arguments have been made against Pithing Needle. Wasn't it in practically all tournament level decks in that block? It's hard to remember that far back...
Lthayer3

Unread postby Dervon » May 19th, 2010, 12:07 pm

NOTE ON RULES:

Someone brought this to my attention, so I figure I might as well address it; We will be playing with pre-M10 rules. If you played MTG prior to core-set 10 then this just means we will be playing with the rules you are used to, rather then the new ones introduced in M10. I think, also, for future events the basic rule of thumb is pre-M10 block(s) = pre-M10 rules; post-M10 block(s) = post-M10 rules.

Thoughts? Everyone fine with this?
Dervon

Unread postby Greybane » May 19th, 2010, 1:23 pm

NOTE ON RULES:

Someone brought this to my attention, so I figure I might as well address it; We will be playing with pre-M10 rules. If you played MTG prior to core-set 10 then this just means we will be playing with the rules you are used to, rather then the new ones introduced in M10. I think, also, for future events the basic rule of thumb is pre-M10 block(s) = pre-M10 rules; post-M10 block(s) = post-M10 rules.

Thoughts? Everyone fine with this?
Could you note any major changes Pre to Post? I have yet to play Post so...
Odd that. It actually worked.
Greybane

Unread postby Lthayer3 » May 19th, 2010, 2:00 pm

Woah, they changed rules with 2010?

*Goes to look at Magic website*

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/a ... eature/42a

Mulligans? Makes sense.

Battlefield? Yuck.

Cast wasn't official since Sixth? I never actually noticed.

Exile? Yuck.

Beginning of the end step? Yuck.

No more mana floating between steps? Because people are stupid and can't learn the rules? What the heck?

No more mana burn? It seems like this has some potential for abuse somewhere. Also, why?

Token ownership change? Well, alright, I can see how that can potentially be confusing.

Combat damage doesn't use the stack? Arrrrggggg.

Deathtouch change? Hmmmm.

Lifelink change? Alright.

(Also, I'm still not used to those keywords lol)

I guess I need to read through the changes in more detail if we should ever play with a post 2010 set. I doubt I'll be adopting the rule changes in casual play with my friends, though. Heck, I still use the terms 'Summoning Sickness' and 'Local Enchantment' and miss Interrupts and Mana Sources :(
Lthayer3

Unread postby Greybane » May 19th, 2010, 2:56 pm

Old School that Lthayer3.

Mulligan: makes sense.

Battlefield: really more for flavor (and money) than the rules IMHO.

Cast: same as above (I began play with 7th so...).

Exile: actually a fan of this. Thought they needed a keyword for a long time, but that may be due to the fact that I made a 'Blink' deck before.

Beginning of End Step: I don't see the problem with this. They have the beginning of every other step, so why not this one?

Mana Float: Concur with above.

Mana Burn: I liked mana burn, it was a limit I ran into several times.

Token Ownership: Well, I always sort of Ad Hoc-ed it with my opponent. Nice to actually see the rules.

Deathtouch: Well, that simplifies things. Might not screw me over as badly in the future.

Lifelink: Wait, it wasn't always this way? Something new every day I guess.
Greybane

Unread postby Magnificate » May 19th, 2010, 3:06 pm

Mulligans? Makes sense.
BTW, back when I played the game we generally agreed that you can Mulligan for free if there are no lands or all lands in your hand. Do we do that here?
Code: Select all
Battlefield? Yuck.
Naming convention. I preferred "in play".
Cast wasn't official since Sixth? I never actually noticed.
Naming convention. IMO "cast" is better than "play".
Exile? Yuck.
Naming convention. Really poor choice.
Beginning of the end step? Yuck.
Negligible difference in casual play.
No more mana floating between steps? Because people are stupid and can't learn the rules? What the heck?
I support this change.
No more mana burn? It seems like this has some potential for abuse somewhere. Also, why?
Significant change. Mana ramping is now less dangerous. I'm fine either way.
Token ownership change? Well, alright, I can see how that can potentially be confusing.
Minor issue.
Combat damage doesn't use the stack? Arrrrggggg.
I used to hate that change. However after some plays I support the new rule since it restricts wacky combat tricks.
Deathtouch change? Hmmmm. Lifelink change? Alright.
Back when I played these weren't even keywords.
Magnificate

Unread postby Lthayer3 » May 19th, 2010, 3:36 pm

Yeah, I guess 'At the beginning of the end step' isn't so bad. 'At end of turn' can be confusing, especially to newer players who haven't had the Phases/Steps explained to them properly. It just seems that changing it now, after over 15 years, seems a little odd. And cards already have problems with being wordy -- those extra eighteen characters can make a big difference in what can be fit on cards.

Exile I can get used to, but it is just frustrating that they feel the need to keyword everything. The term makes sense, but just sounds strange. Then again, I wasn't happy with the Defender, Flash, Fear, Haste, Lifelink, Reach, Shroud, or Vigilance keywordings, either. Still haven't gotten used to some of them, but they all significantly shorten text on cards, so they serve a good purpose. I guess.

Wait, what's Intimidate? *continues reading* But, but...

Ok, it makes sense. And I can see why other colors might need the ability once in a while. But why couldn't they have done this in the first place instead of screwing around with fear for the past however many years?

*goes off and cries in a corner somewhere*

I want Banding back, dang it. That was a fun ability. And why was Landhome removed? And, and...

*wanders off as he begins to rant about Urza and the multiverse*

:angry

Oooh, look, a new post before I was done with this...

Mulligens: Yep. I'm fine with that rule.
Lthayer3

Unread postby LightLink17 » May 19th, 2010, 4:01 pm

My opinion on M10 rules is a mild ambivalence towards all the word changes, and annoyance at all gameplay changes. My main method of play has been through tournaments, I've spent a long time learning how to mulligan properly and how the stack functions in regards to damage dealt (I also think those damage shenanigans were fun). It's not so much I feel my effort was wasted as I feel utterly confused by these new rules. I've been called out sometimes for trying to do things that don't work anymore, and it'll probably go on for a while with me.
LightLink17

Unread postby Dervon » May 19th, 2010, 4:46 pm

"Many players aren't aware of the existence of mana burn as a game concept. Discovering it exists, especially via an opponent manipulating his own life total for gain, can be jarring."

*sigh*

I'd just like to say I'm against most of the changes, merely as a matter of principle. "Don't fix what ain't broke", and all that.

I especially hate, HATE the changes to burn and combat-stack. I found that it opened a new dimension for tactics during the combat step.

We'll be running a variant mulligan system, if you guys are okay: If both players wish to mulligan then it's free. Otherwise standard rules apply.
Dervon

Unread postby Wittgen » May 26th, 2010, 11:59 am

The 27th is tomorrow, I do believe. Should I send a decklist to someone? When are we playing? Is there anything I should know about how to play multiplayer with LackeyCCG?

Sorry for all the questions.
Wittgen

Unread postby Lthayer3 » May 26th, 2010, 12:56 pm

Questions are good. I like those questions :)

I forgot how painful it is to make decks. I've slowly shifted between 4 different ideas in the past couple hours, and my current deck refuses to get cut down to 60 cards. Bah.

Two hours later. My deck has grown by a few cards, but I'm finally happy with it, I guess. One card I'm not real sure about, mainly because I've never played with it myself and it doesn't exactly fit with the rest of my deck, but whatever.

Unfortunately, I'll be gone for some of tomorrow (not sure when or how long -- my family is too indecisive), but otherwise, I'm all ready to play.
Lthayer3

Unread postby Wittgen » May 26th, 2010, 4:20 pm

I've finished making my deck. I don't really have any deck making experience, so I looked at deck archetypes from the block, found one I liked, and then kind of modified it a little. Kind of lame, I know, but I would hope not too lame.

I'm finding Lackey a bit tricky to use. Example: I right click a card and then click "send to top of library," but it doesn't send it to the top of the library. I hope I don't make any super embarrassing input mistakes.
Wittgen

Unread postby Lthayer3 » May 26th, 2010, 4:51 pm

Me too. I've been fiddling around with the controls, and I think I have the hang of it, but I'm sure something will pop up that I don't know what to do with...

I thought about just grabbing a deck archetype, but that's never any fun for me. Heck, without looking, I don't even remember the good tournament decks for Kamigawa. I think one centered around Kiki-Jiki, and another abused Meloku. I'm sure a few will turn up, though.
Lthayer3

Unread postby Random_fan » May 27th, 2010, 12:33 am

I've got my deck ready, it helps that the only deck I've used was almost exclusively Kamigawa.
Random_fan

Unread postby Lthayer3 » May 28th, 2010, 11:29 am

*whistles*

So, are we going to organize the matches through posts here, through PMs, or set some sort of chat channel up on Skype or something? Or is the server going to be running 24/7 so that we can tell who's online just by looking at who is connected?
Lthayer3

Unread postby Kirai » May 28th, 2010, 11:32 am

Well Grey derv and me meet on skype and play if we feel like it.

The server is running anyway and shows who's online. You just need to log in^^

But Skype is probably the best option.
Kirai

Unread postby Lthayer3 » May 28th, 2010, 11:53 am

Ah, I see. There's a public server thingy. I had thought we were playing on a private server Dervon was hosting, or something.
Lthayer3

Unread postby Wittgen » May 28th, 2010, 2:00 pm

Skype and my computer hate each other very, very much. I don't know why. I've tried many things: troubleshooting, forums, relationship counseling. Anyway, I'm still curious as to who we should send our decks to and who is playing who. Did we choose round robin after all?
Wittgen

Unread postby Greybane » May 28th, 2010, 3:11 pm

Skype and my computer hate each other very, very much. I don't know why. I've tried many things: troubleshooting, forums, relationship counseling. Anyway, I'm still curious as to who we should send our decks to and who is playing who. Did we choose round robin after all?
Round robin was the decision yes. I also wish for the knowledge of who I should send my decklist to.
Greybane

Unread postby Kirai » May 30th, 2010, 12:10 pm

Well i haven't seen dervon on lately, so there might be some problems on his end.

This might have to wait a bit, till he can come back online again.
Kirai

Unread postby Dervon » June 12th, 2010, 2:31 pm

As per usual, shifts in the paradigm of RL have caused further delays for me. We have two options, as I see it:

-You start playing matches now (I'll post a final player-list if this be the choice), and I'll jump in in about a week.

-Wait for this last week to elapse, as I am in the process of moving to Scotland (YAY, no more of these bloody Romanian heat-waves!) for my Summer courses. As the courses are quite simple, I'll have most evening free for the matches I'll be playing (and as a side note, more time to be working on Motivation /shamelessplug), as well as reffing the others (via MTG Salvation, of course).

I apologies for any inconvenience. IRL-woes, what can I say. :yum:
Dervon

Return to “%s” General Discussion