Never been so glad that I'm out of school

A place to kick back, relax, and have a friendly discussion with intelligent people.

Re: Never been so glad that I'm out of school

Unread postby doc.exe » April 6th, 2010, 1:09 am

Oh boy! We actually face pressure from a lot of fronts. The fuel market is one of the more important given how dependant we are of it, but it's not the only one.

There is (or was) also the effect of China and other Asian countries in our trades. I'm not sure how is the situation right now, but prior to the recession they were hitting us very hard in that field. Given that two of our major assets in the international markets were precisely cheap labor and outsourcing manufacture, but the fact that Asia provides it better than us and even cheaper... well, you get the idea. :you_seem_to_be_serious:

There are other serious issues too, like our social security system that is on the brink of colapse, the conflicts with some of the labor unions (which I don't lie, are nests full of rats), or the sad fact that a lot of families depend of the income they receive from their relatives in other countries (which seems to decline every year).

Now, there do have been many protests (sometimes escalating to riots) in the past two or three decades. But they never escalate to something that the government is unable to control (either by negotiation or by force). Their effects also tend to be rather isolated and negligible in most cases. Many times they only affect a specific part of the country while the rest is untouched.

That is part of the reason why a good percentage of the population has become so apathetic: People seems to protest every month, yet nothing ever gets done or changed. At times it seems that, like tjchaos pointed, we need some very serious crisis to hit us before things progress, and even then.
"No te tomes la vida demasiado en serio, al fin y al cabo no saldrás vivo de ella." Les Luthiers

"There are two essential rules to management. One, the customer is always right; and two, they must be punished for their arrogance." Dogbert
doc.exe

Unread postby Dechstreme » April 15th, 2010, 11:57 pm

Please tell me there are more Latin American countries with their heads screwed on straight in the world other than Costa Rica...
Dechstreme

Yahoo Messenger: dechstreme@yahoo.com

Unread postby gman391 » April 16th, 2010, 2:51 am

Brazil?

Maybe Peru I really don't remember much about down there.
(Sorry Doc :shy: )
"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby doc.exe » April 16th, 2010, 3:08 pm

I think Brazil and Chile were doing relatively well in political terms (at least prior to the earthquake and the landslide). Other than that, I'm not sure.
"No te tomes la vida demasiado en serio, al fin y al cabo no saldrás vivo de ella." Les Luthiers

"There are two essential rules to management. One, the customer is always right; and two, they must be punished for their arrogance." Dogbert
doc.exe

Unread postby Arganaut » April 16th, 2010, 3:20 pm

Well, Brazil has a major problem concerning the great concentration of so much of its industry in so few places. Sso Tome and Rio de Janeiro and surrounding areas make up most of what we'd call 'developed land' in Brazil. From what I've learned from a fellow college student from that area of Brazil, there's a significant group of the population that's non-Portuguese/Brazilian, himself and his family included, that live in that region. Combine this with the fact that the region basically helps to hold up the rest of Brazil with its industry, a separation from Brazil is... welcome to say the least. Of course, this is only what I've gathered thus far

So, if ever there was a time if and where the collective states of Paraná, Santa Catarina and Rio Grande do Sul were to separate from Brazil, and Rio de Janeiro be struck by its own national disaster, well, the repercussions would be terrible, so say the very least.

Education-wise... I can't say for sure. Didn't get that deep into the conversation.
Arganaut

Unread postby tjchaos » April 16th, 2010, 10:22 pm

I don't really know much about South American countries but economically speaking, I think Costa Rica is likely too dependent on tourism. Otherwise I've heard some good things about Chile and Brazil. I think one of the bigger problems Brazil has had in the past decade or so was a drought that was impairing the hydro-electric portion of their power grid, which apparently is a significant percentage of their grid. That could easily be old news though and no longer relevant.
tjchaos

Unread postby Dechstreme » April 16th, 2010, 10:56 pm

I don't really know much about South American countries but economically speaking, I think Costa Rica is likely too dependent on tourism.
First things first... I'm fairly Certain Costa Rica is in CENTRAL America. Secondly, I've been there. Too dependent on tourism? It's a beautiful place, they produce the second best coffee in the world, they got volcanoes that don't erupt big time, White Water Rafting, and Poison Dart Frogs. Oh, and a Legal system that is punishing on Currupt Politicians in a big way, last I went there. I don't know, but it doesn't seem like they need to fall on any backups for cash just yet.
Dechstreme

Yahoo Messenger: dechstreme@yahoo.com

Unread postby tjchaos » April 18th, 2010, 12:01 am

I don't really know much about South American countries but economically speaking, I think Costa Rica is likely too dependent on tourism.
First things first... I'm fairly Certain Costa Rica is in CENTRAL America. Secondly, I've been there. Too dependent on tourism? It's a beautiful place, they produce the second best coffee in the world, they got volcanoes that don't erupt big time, White Water Rafting, and Poison Dart Frogs. Oh, and a Legal system that is punishing on Currupt Politicians in a big way, last I went there. I don't know, but it doesn't seem like they need to fall on any backups for cash just yet.
Yep, Central, bad mental reflex that I consider everything South of Mexico to be South America. I should probably just start using Latin America instead. As for the concept that it's too dependent on tourism, that comes from what I've heard from friends of mine who have been there and described high levels of poverty. I would think it'd be more of a concern if the tourism drops off for reasons that have nothing to do with Costa Rica. You also forgot to mention that they've got some of the best surfing in this hemisphere, at least from what I've heard.

Did a bit of reading in the CIA world fact book and going by that it seems that they've got a lot more pluses than I thought. Although a bit of 2/3 of their economy is 'service', so I could be right about too much of their economy coming from tourism but they've got plenty of other stuff going on so they're probably in better shape than most.

About the only other negative I can see is that they don't have any proven oil or natural gas reserves. Although on the flip side I could also argue that such a factor isn't really a negative at all, especially over the long term.

I think it's also rather interesting that they have no regular military.
tjchaos

Unread postby WarriorDrgnMage » June 10th, 2010, 1:12 pm

Costa Rica is an Island Nation hence they don't need standing army. It was abolished by one of their presidents, (can't for the life of me remember the man's name...) after their civil war was over. It's actually part of their constitution that they have no actual standing army though if I remember correctly they do have various paramilitary forces like foreign peacekeeping and internal law enforcement.

Also I definitely remember that they have very little if any recorded mineral resources.

EDIT: It was president José Figueres Ferrer On December 1, 1948
WarriorDrgnMage

AOL: WarriorDrgnMage

Return to “%s” General Discussion