End of One Manga

A place to kick back, relax, and have a friendly discussion with intelligent people.

Re: End of One Manga

Unread postby serbii » July 31st, 2010, 1:48 am

Give me back my shoes Spence!
But where am I going to eat my cereal? D=
On second though keep the shoes, hand over the cereal.
serbii

Unread postby gman391 » July 31st, 2010, 1:52 am

Why do I keep being the straight man where ever I go? I know the world doesn't make sense but I can't help myself.

Anyways no cereal for you Serbii instead have this healthy bowl of fruit.
"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby ShonenHero » July 31st, 2010, 6:47 pm

Why do I keep being the straight man where ever I go? I know the world doesn't make sense but I can't help myself.

Anyways no cereal for you Serbii instead have this healthy bowl of fruit.
Why not meet in the middle? Fruitloops covers both things, right?
ShonenHero

Yahoo Messenger: chubbs.panbuukin
AOL: canera411

Unread postby serbii » August 1st, 2010, 2:34 am

Mmmmm sugar in milk fruitloops.

What kinds of fruits gman, the goodness of a fruit bowl is highly dependant on the kinds of fruits. The awesomeness of a bowl of cherries, blueberries, watermelon, plums, grapes and generally everything else I can only get in summer is about 1000x greater than a bowl of sour green apples and tinned pineapple.
serbii

Unread postby gman391 » August 1st, 2010, 2:39 am

All kinds Serbii I would never make a you choose what kind of fruit to eat. I'd stay away from the crab apples myself.
"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby unknown6959 » August 1st, 2010, 9:55 am

I know it's late to the discussion but I would like to point out that not everyone can find a place to buy them. In the city I live in Ireland there is only two stores that stock manga and they only stock volumes of the extremely popular manga, worse they don't stay up to date with the english translation. I would happily pay a subscription to a site in order to pay to read them as I read a large variety of manga.
unknown6959

Unread postby Satori » August 1st, 2010, 9:57 pm

That one you mention is more an issue of the censors than of the translators (I'm not saying there are not translations that are very bad, but there are also some that are very good). Now that you mentioned it, I have always find that the way censure is applied, not only to anime and manga, but in general, is... well, very inconsistent to point of silliness.
The stupidity of the censors is only the most egregious of the problems. The majority of official translations are made of fail. If they can't be arsed to even try to make a quality product, why the heck should I make any effort to compensate them for it?

I bought a bunch of used Evangelion manga at 1 USD a pop, because that's a fair price for the quality I'm getting. Heck, 3-4, maybe even 5-6 USD is good by me for something new and quality. But the 10+ USD/volume they want to charge me is blatant robbery. It's notably more than what the same volume goes for in Japan, and the translation is in NO way worth that extra cost. If anything, I'd expect a discount for the reduction in product quality in the translated version.
Satori

Unread postby Wittgen » August 1st, 2010, 11:41 pm

Poor translations shouldn't be supported, yes, but that's not what you're paying for. You're paying for all the extra layers of business involved in reading that manga in America. It has to be licensed and localized and distributed in America, and all of that costs money. Manga is never going to cost 4.50/volume in America like it does in Japan. I totally agree that 12 bucks is stupid as hell, though. I blame American comics for killing the American comic book market years ago.
Wittgen

Unread postby ewuvi » August 1st, 2010, 11:46 pm

Well, this is as good of a time for me to stop reading comics as any, what with FMA done. Haha, watch my productiveness skyrocket. :XD:
ewuvi

Unread postby MEKristian » August 1st, 2010, 11:46 pm

I blame American comics for killing the American comic book market years ago.

Ha HA! Clone Saga!

...Had to be done...
MEKristian

AOL: MEKristian

Unread postby Darkandus » August 1st, 2010, 11:50 pm

It's probably the illness and the fact that it's almost five in the morning talking. But this is really annoying. Oh well, guess I'll never finish Hajime no Ippo then...

*Sigh*

Screw it, I'll just look for another source.
Spoiler: show
Darkandus

Unread postby Satori » August 2nd, 2010, 1:49 am

Poor translations shouldn't be supported, yes, but that's not what you're paying for. You're paying for all the extra layers of business involved in reading that manga in America. It has to be licensed and localized and distributed in America, and all of that costs money. Manga is never going to cost 4.50/volume in America like it does in Japan. I totally agree that 12 bucks is stupid as hell, though. I blame American comics for killing the American comic book market years ago.
eh, well, if that holds true, I'll never buy manga. I'm not going to pay more than twice as much for an inferior product.

There are a few amercan comics which are okay. I still follow Fables. And runaways volume 1 was fantastic even if it did go downhill rapidly after.
Satori

Unread postby doc.exe » August 2nd, 2010, 2:51 am

I think Wittgen means that comics in general tend to be too expensive nowadays, because the idiots running the major American comic companies like Marvel bankrupted the market with poor managing and marketing decisions some years ago (and yes, it didn't help that many of the stories were awful). That event seriously diminished the demand, thus leading to the ridiculous prices we pay today not only in the USA.

In my country, a Marvel comicbook ranges between 20 and 30 pesos (more or less 1.5/2.5 dollars given the current exchange rate). That is too much, considering the minimum wage here is about 4 dollars per day. Curiosly, manga is somewhat cheaper when you take into account the volumes have like 200 pages or more. Last time I checked, the prices ranged between 60-120 pesos (4.6-9.2 dollars approx.)

And well, I can't really speak about the English translations, but in Mexico the translations tend to be, if not good, at least decent. I have cringed at some mistakes I have seen in a pair of volumes, but nothing that have made me throw a book in disgust. And considering Japanese is not exactly an easy language to translate, that is an accomplishment.
"No te tomes la vida demasiado en serio, al fin y al cabo no saldrás vivo de ella." Les Luthiers

"There are two essential rules to management. One, the customer is always right; and two, they must be punished for their arrogance." Dogbert
doc.exe

Unread postby Minion » August 2nd, 2010, 4:33 pm

That is all, folks. The beast has died. Strolling down the manga list all you'll see is suspended. That could mean they might make a comeback, but I'm not getting my hopes up. So did you all get your fill in the final hours?
Minion

Unread postby doc.exe » August 2nd, 2010, 7:11 pm

Not really. I was too busy yesterday. I suppose I will have to look for some other place to at least catch up with One Piece and Kenichi. And maybe read Mahou Sensei Negima and Gintama if I have the chance.

Anyway, ashes to the ashes, dust to dust. Rest in peace, One Manga :violin:
"No te tomes la vida demasiado en serio, al fin y al cabo no saldrás vivo de ella." Les Luthiers

"There are two essential rules to management. One, the customer is always right; and two, they must be punished for their arrogance." Dogbert
doc.exe

Unread postby MrRigger2 » August 2nd, 2010, 7:21 pm

Yeah, I'll have to find someplace else to read Negima, as Manga Stream doesn't run it. I'm current, but that doesn't necessarily mean much if I don't know of anywhere else that runs it.

MrRigger
In engineering, the work is only done when there is nothing left to add. In writing, the work is only done when there is nothing left to take away.

Check out Between Magic and Mount Justice
MrRigger2

Unread postby MEKristian » August 2nd, 2010, 7:34 pm

Yeah, I'll have to find someplace else to read Negima, as Manga Stream doesn't run it. I'm current, but that doesn't necessarily mean much if I don't know of anywhere else that runs it.

MrRigger
I know where.

...It's Hayate the Combat Butler that I can't find anywhere.
MEKristian

AOL: MEKristian

Unread postby Disconnected » August 3rd, 2010, 12:14 am

Mahou Sensei Negima is available on Manga Fox, and they used to have Hayate the Combat Butler, but it is no longer available due to it being licensed.
If the problem isn't solved, there are still survivors you missed.
Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.
Disconnected

Unread postby serbii » August 3rd, 2010, 6:14 am

*checks personal source*
Still good.
Except I can't get 07Ghost there and When They Cry is so poorly organised I just gave up and subscribed to the scanlator's RSS feed, also Pokemon Special isn't up to date there... actually my source is pretty crap isn't it?
And it's nor read OL.
serbii

Unread postby Minion » August 22nd, 2010, 1:01 pm

I just thought of something else about the whole not supporting manga thing. I've bought a lot of anime DVDs which were based off manga, such as a couple of seasons of DBZ, a few Yuyu Hakusho, and Afro Samurai. Does my buying these items in any way help the manga industry?
Minion

Return to “%s” General Discussion