Necromancy Quest

"Anyone else noticed most of the quests are built around Death and Crazy?" Quests are Play By Post Games with collectively controlled protagonists. Join in and have fun!

Re: Necromancy Quest

Unread postby Flux_Blade » October 7th, 2010, 12:31 pm

"Hey, before you run her down the river, can you at least explain why you don't like her? After all, she did keep me from being ambushed by a few ahh... things that wanted me dead."

(he's too lazy to remember the name of the attacking undead)
Still proud owner of no avatar.

Digimon Quest, it's back. Clicky.
Flux_Blade

Unread postby SLAMU » October 7th, 2010, 1:00 pm

Combine the Kibeth vs Kibeth (which I'm sure we'll lose, but it should get her attention at least) with the rude gesturing. "You don't need to come between us, you know!" we shout. "There's room in our lives for both of you!"
Hmm...that doesn't mesh with the rude gestures, does it?
SLAMU

Unread postby Darkandus » October 7th, 2010, 3:55 pm

Now would be a really good time to figure out how to break free somehow, followed by a "Leave my friend alone" followed by an ultimately futile punch or threatening to use the Weeper, which probably won't do much to Kibeth and will probably totally and irreversibly kill Leto but what can you do?
Spoiler: show
Darkandus

Unread postby SLAMU » October 8th, 2010, 1:26 am

Struggle futily for a bit, get the bright idea of trying to use Kibeth to counteract Kibeth, and shout after them "now hold on a minute! We can work this out, no need to kill her and all! Or, er, whatever's going on!"
"Peri? You don't owe her money or anything, do you?"

I get the feeling that he's not *actually* trying to kill her, but rather a) make a point and b) get some alone time for Mommy and Daddy the adults the two of them to talk for a bit, as something we've said seems to have been...unwelcome.

Still, someone's not getting a belly rub.
SLAMU

Unread postby serbii » October 9th, 2010, 12:09 am

By the way, Kibeth is a she. A female dog if you will. :roll:
-----------
"Leave my friend alone!" Leto calls out after them, the dog doesn’t react… yeah ok, he wasn’t expecting much from that one.
A ha! Dog must be jealous!
"You don't need to come between us, you know! There's room in our lives for both of you!"
Kibeth vanishes into the darkness, Leto gives her the finger then fumbles to take Walker from its pouch, figuring there must be some kind of irony in this.

Bell: Kibeth 1d20+4 = (8, 9)
Luck 1d6=5

He walks a few shaky steps, staggers and almost falls face down in the river before regaining his footing, slipping the bell back in its pouch and sprinting off down the river. A part of his mind noted this was probably quite dangerous, a larger part went ‘meh’.

He finds them at the waterfall marking the entrance to the fifth precinct, even so they probably heard him coming a mile off. The dog turns and faces Leto with a gruff sigh, Peri stands stock still a few meters away, right on the edge of the small waterfall, looking into the waters of the fifth precinct with dread and breathing heavily.

Leto calls out, and sees Peri twitch “Hold on a minute! We can work this out, no need to kill her and all! Or, er, whatever's going on!" he goes cold as something clicks; Fifth Precinct: The waters have a metamorphic effect. Any spirit that reaches the waters here will not resemble its living form. “Um, ah, I mean before you run her down the river, can you at least explain why you don't like her? After all, she did keep me from being ambushed by a few ahh... things that wanted me dead."

The dog growls, though it’s directed at Peri rather than Leto. “Yes, why? is a good question,” says Kibeth as the stalks over to Peri, growing with every step until she looms over Peri’s shoulder, “like ‘Why would a powerless remnant of a monster be wandering Death alone with a young, half-trained Abhorsen?’, ‘Why didn’t he recognise me when I know I’m in The Book?’ What are you doing here Little One? What are you planning for the Abhorsen boy?”

Step in or leave it to Peri?
serbii

Unread postby Darkandus » October 9th, 2010, 12:25 am

"Well maybe if you decided not to unilaterally kidnap my friend we wouldn't have to be in this stupid situation, We're here even though I'd much rather be in bed so I can bloody well train, because quite frankly luck isn't going to save me as my luck sucks. And as for why I don't recognise you I haven't finished the bloody book yet and to be honest at the time I was reading it I wasn't exactly paying a lot of attention! And to be quite honest if your big plan was to push her into the next precinct to reveal what she really looks like to frighten me and scare me off it's a bloody terrible plan, because what someone looks like doesn't dictate who they are! I don't care if she's an eldritch abomination from the beginning of time! SHE'S MY ELDRITCH ABOMINATION!"
Darkandus

Unread postby Wittgen » October 9th, 2010, 12:35 am

We've put our lot in with Peri. Switching would be a big pain. Loyalty, like all truly great traits, flows naturally from laziness.

I like Dark's speech, but it is a tad impassioned. I don't know if we're in a situation that requires such a desperate, frenzied use of effort and energy. We're just mediating some kind of conflict between two ancient beings at a death waterfall that also happens to be a gate to the beyond. So come on, let's not overreact. Something like, "Recent events are mildly alarming and I'm tired now. Can you let my friend go so we can return to life. Please."
Wittgen

Unread postby doc.exe » October 9th, 2010, 12:53 am

Mmmm... Would it help if we state Peri is a relative of sorts?

....Well, not a relative, but she did married our grandfather.
"No te tomes la vida demasiado en serio, al fin y al cabo no saldrás vivo de ella." Les Luthiers

"There are two essential rules to management. One, the customer is always right; and two, they must be punished for their arrogance." Dogbert
doc.exe

Unread postby serbii » October 9th, 2010, 7:24 pm

Loyalty, like all truly great traits, flows naturally from laziness.
Have you ever considered writing for kids shows? I think you have some valuable lessons to impart.
-------------

Leto is starting to get beyond pissed off, he could be sleeping but nooooo there’s some demigod-dog kidnapping the cute girl he’s getting quite fond of and messing with his training and making him run and no doubt plotting something stupid with her doggy brain. He scratched her ears and everything damn it! So he takes the only logical course of action and starts to rant.

"Well maybe if you decided not to unilaterally kidnap my friend we wouldn't have to be in this stupid situation! We're here even though I'd much rather be in bed so I can bloody well train, because quite frankly luck isn't going to save me as my luck sucks. And as for why I don't recognise you I haven't finished the bloody book yet and to be honest at the time I was reading it I wasn't exactly paying a lot of attention! And to be quite honest if your big plan was to push her into the next precinct to reveal what she really looks like to frighten me and scare me off it's a bloody terrible plan, because what someone looks like doesn't dictate who they are! I don't care if she's an eldritch abomination from the beginning of time! SHE'S MY ELDRITCH ABOMINATION!"

Peri looks up from the river at him, wide eyed and he thinks he sees the barest hint of a smile. Kibeth snorts and rolls her eyes before padding away from Peri. “Teenagers, always so dramatic.”

“You’re one to talk!” Leto yells back at the dog.

The dog grins her doggy grin at Leto once again “Fine.” She gives a little yip and Peri scrambles back from edge before dropping to sit in the river, Kibeth’s power over her gone. The dog shrinks back to her usual size before approaching Peri again and leaning entirely too close for her comfort.
“You. Motives. Now.”

Peri hesitates for a moment, then starts to speak, her voice nervous, becoming frantic and rushed. “We’re, we’re family. My granddaughter is his cousin! She’s second in line. I can’t let her become Abhorsen, it’ll kill her! I’m helping him to save her, to save both of them! That’s why I’m here. Yrael is free, they never even met the last Abhorsen! There was only me. I swear I’m not trying to use him! I know what’s happened in the past, how the Lines were lost, turned against each other and your creations, how many were killed and manipulated by monsters and mortals! I’ve seen the world without them, I don’t want that! Please! I know what we were like all those years ago, when the Magic made us mad. But I don’t want his power, I don’t want revenge! I’m just trying to protect the ones I love!”

The dog hesitates then turns to Leto for confirmation.
serbii

Unread postby bookworm702 » October 9th, 2010, 7:26 pm

"Gee, it's almost like I was telling the truth or something...Wait, what was that last bit?"
bookworm702

Unread postby Wittgen » October 9th, 2010, 9:27 pm

Just give a thumbs up.
Wittgen

Unread postby doc.exe » October 9th, 2010, 10:06 pm

What about simply nodding?
"No te tomes la vida demasiado en serio, al fin y al cabo no saldrás vivo de ella." Les Luthiers

"There are two essential rules to management. One, the customer is always right; and two, they must be punished for their arrogance." Dogbert
doc.exe

Unread postby MrRigger2 » October 9th, 2010, 10:11 pm

I’m just trying to protect the ones I love!
"Aw, you do care!" Tackle hug Peri at the closest opportunity and covertly grope. Dog should be hard pressed to say that Peri has designs on us when we're groping her.

Slightly unrelated, that would be an awesome Trope. Did you grope the Eldritch Abomination?

MrRigger
In engineering, the work is only done when there is nothing left to add. In writing, the work is only done when there is nothing left to take away.

Check out Between Magic and Mount Justice
MrRigger2

Unread postby SLAMU » October 9th, 2010, 11:38 pm

Might I reccomend a combination of all of the above?
SLAMU

Unread postby serbii » October 10th, 2010, 3:20 am

Leto nods as he gives the dog the thumbs up and a big cheesy grin. The dog looks back to Peri then shrugs in acceptance and moves away as Leto approaches Peri while speaking to Kibeth.
“Gee, it’s almost like I was telling the truth or something… wait,” he looks away from the dog down to Peri who look up an him, confusion in her yellow-green eyes “what was that last bit?”

Her brow furrows “What las-” Leto doesn’t give her a chance to finish, it was only a courtesy question after all. He drops to his haunches in front of her seated form.

“Aw! You do care!”

“I-“ she never gets to finish the sentence as Leto lunges forward and wraps her in a hug, knocking her back and almost submerging them. He throws out an arm in time to keep them from going under. He drags them both back up then pulls her onto his kneeling lap and holds her tight against his chest. She’s cold and trembling and once again seems very small. She sits stiff and tense for a long moment before going to say something, then hesitating and deciding against it. Instead the tension drains out of her a little and she leans her head against Leto’s chest and clutches at his shirt. He shifts his grip a little and rests his chin on her head. They stay like that for a few minutes before he feels her stiffen again, hearing the splashing as Kibeth moves.

“You can stop looking so scared you know.” Kibeth says, amused.

Peri laughs nervously “The last time I saw you, you were tearing apart the foundations of the world and wiping out the vast majority of life, directly or not. So no, I don’t think I can.”

Leto raises his head “Uh, should I be scared?”

Peri asks, a little bemused, “Why should you be scared? You’re part of their creation too.”

“Ahh, I’ll protect you from the big scary dog then. I’ll get her a muzzle and a lead and everything.”

Dog plays along a whines, dropping her tail an ears at the mention of a lead and muzzle. Leto can’t see Peri’s expression but she seems to relax again.

“Leto?” She asks.

“Mmm?”

“Is that your hand on my ass?”
serbii

Unread postby Darkandus » October 10th, 2010, 8:40 am

"I sure hope so."
Darkandus

Unread postby MrRigger2 » October 10th, 2010, 10:15 am

"It certainly isn't on Kibeth's ass."

MrRigger
In engineering, the work is only done when there is nothing left to add. In writing, the work is only done when there is nothing left to take away.

MrRigger2

Unread postby bookworm702 » October 10th, 2010, 10:58 am

"That depends. Do you want my hand on your ass?"
bookworm702

Unread postby Wittgen » October 10th, 2010, 11:44 am

"Must be some dead guy. Damn dead guys."
Wittgen

Unread postby SLAMU » October 11th, 2010, 12:17 am

"...maybe?"
SLAMU

Unread postby serbii » October 12th, 2010, 5:05 am

"That depends.” Leto answers “Do you want my hand on your ass?"

“…you’re hopeless.”

“That’s not true. I have plenty of hope. I am entirely with hope, hopeful if you will.”

“Uh huh,” She grabs his wrists, unwraps his arms from around her and slides off his lap. He stands first and offers her a hand up which she takes with a small roll of her eyes.

“You know, I suddenly have some quite important things to do,” the dog says, in a conversational tone, her dark eyes glittering as she watches the pair intensely “so I’m afraid I don’t have any more time to chat, back to Life with you, children.”

“Hey!” Peri yells, evidently her annoyance at being called a child out weighs her nervousness.

Leto turns back to the dog in time to see it bark. His legs fold under him and he feels himself engulfed by the River once more, then blackness.

Leto inhales deeply then promptly sneezes the air back out. Why is it always cold? He rubs the ice and frost off his face before opening his eyes, he’s in Peri’s room again and back in his own body. The ice frosted on his clothes cracks and melts as he shifts. He turns to Peri who is sitting with her arms wrapped around her knees, one hand rubbing frost out of her hair.

“So,” she says, smiling a little sickly “That was death, uh, normally it’s less eventful…”

-----------------
(To be honest I rolled for who’s answer to use, as they’re all pretty much the same outcome)
serbii

Unread postby Darkandus » October 12th, 2010, 6:39 pm

*Yawn, maybe look around for something to warm up Peri as she seems cold, a towel perhaps.*

I guessed as much. So, are you ok? The whole Kibeth thing seemed a little rough on you.
Darkandus

Unread postby doc.exe » October 12th, 2010, 11:07 pm

I'm also curious about the situation with Kibeth.

Also:
"Brrr... It seems we are freezing. You know, human contact is the best mechanism to regain warm. Just saying."

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :oops:

doc.exe

Unread postby Wittgen » October 12th, 2010, 11:53 pm

Just give in to the hypothermia. We had a good run, but every story has to end somewhere, and we might as well cut our losses before going through the pain in the ass process of producing body heat.
Wittgen

Unread postby MrRigger2 » October 13th, 2010, 12:13 am

No! No, we must not give in to the hypothermia! We will live to grope again another day!

MrRigger

MrRigger2

Return to “%s” Quests