Forum Random Numbers Generator(s)

A place to kick back, relax, and have a friendly discussion with intelligent people.

Forum Random Numbers Generator(s)

Unread postby Dervon » November 29th, 2010, 11:43 am

So I was wondering, how would one go about using a random-numbers generator in a forum environment? I know there are code-build rngs that can then be called up via tags (I believe that the OotS forum has one, for instance), but lacking the knowledge as to which type of forum code VD runs on, I've been unable to search for one that would work here (so as to put it up on the suggestions sub-forum, 'natch).

But tag/code-based dice-rollers aside, does anyone know of any secure roller that would allow for legitimate rng usage in quest-type games? Something the person running could set-up (on a first-come-first roll basis, I'd guess) to add a slight touch of dice-based chaos?
Dervon

Re: Forum Random Numbers Generator(s)

Unread postby Magnificate » November 29th, 2010, 12:00 pm

Well, in my Quests I use http://kostnica.eu/ and simply link the results. The method was since adopted by others. That dice-roller was created for PBF use and although it's not integrated into the forum itself I find it sufficient.
Magnificate

Unread postby Dervon » November 29th, 2010, 12:11 pm

Well, in my Quests I use http://kostnica.eu/ and simply link the results. The method was since adopted by others. That dice-roller was created for PBF use and although it's not integrated into the forum itself I find it sufficient.
Hmm, where did you post usage-instructions for it?
Dervon

Unread postby serbii » December 1st, 2010, 3:32 am

Username:
Password:
Check the "Nowe konto:" box if it's your first time using it.

Select die, + or - strength.
the button below "Dodaj kosc" to add another die.

Comments box

Final check box: Secure password-throw
(If secured the throw, not knowing the password users will see only its final outcome, without a formula of dice)
I rarely use it

Big button at the bottom to throw the dice and it will come up with a page like this. Which has the code to link the result.
Results are stored under username too. For example mine can be seen at http://kostnica.eu/show.php?user=serbii

Google translate gives a pretty good indication of what's what.
serbii

Unread postby Arganaut » December 1st, 2010, 4:39 pm

I personally used the online D&D dice roller, as I had no idea how to navigate that dice rolling page serb and Magnificate used up until now.
Arganaut

Return to “%s” General Discussion