So... any questions about Boomerang?

A place to kick back, relax, and have a friendly discussion with intelligent people.

So... any questions about Boomerang?

Unread postby viridian » December 24th, 2010, 1:19 am

I just got my complimentary copies in the mail, so they should be arriving from Amazon soon. (I even have a copy propped up on my desk at work. When I'm about to tear out my remaining hair, I glance over at it and grin.)

It's premature to start a whole forum for original fiction, but I did want to start a thread for any questions you might have about Boomerang. We (Editor Bernheimer and myself) tried to keep the pacing tight-ish, so some of the background was more tooled into the plot that given clearly as exposition.

So if any questions were left unaswered, fire away. (This also lets me check if we were too sparse on the details.)
-
Viridian
viridian
Site Admin

Re: So... any questions about Boomerang?

Unread postby Minion » December 24th, 2010, 8:01 pm

What's the story about?
Minion

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » December 24th, 2010, 9:28 pm

It's from the Anthology that Viridian contributed to: "Horror, Humor, and Heroes Volume 2: New Faces of Fantasy".
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby Kodra » December 25th, 2010, 1:25 am

Wait, is editor Bernheimer, Jim Bernheimer, aka jbern?
Kodra

Unread postby Wittgen » December 25th, 2010, 1:26 am

Yes, that was the editor and the writer of the first Horror, Humor, and Heroes.
Wittgen

Unread postby viridian » December 25th, 2010, 8:47 pm

Yes, it's the same guy.

Some of the other people who contributed stories may sound a bit familiar as well...

Oh, and Merry Christmas everyone!
-
Viridian
viridian
Site Admin

Unread postby Nasdaq » December 26th, 2010, 2:39 pm

Slightly different question. Will the book be available anywhere else than Amazon? I'm partial to Barnes and Noble, due to accounts and gift cards I regularly get for that, and am curious.
"Sasuke was not really happy with his team. The shy Hyuuga, and the laziest person he'd ever known where not people he'd have picked. And he never expected how a blue-eyed, blond-haired, and newly minted jounin would transform them all into a true team." - Naruto-sensei, currently in Arc 2: The Chuunin Exams
Nasdaq

AOL: VindicatedHunter

Unread postby viridian » December 26th, 2010, 11:27 pm

Slightly different question. Will the book be available anywhere else than Amazon? I'm partial to Barnes and Noble, due to accounts and gift cards I regularly get for that, and am curious.
Hmmm... can't get their search page to load tonight to check...
-
Viridian
viridian
Site Admin

Unread postby Magnificate » December 27th, 2010, 8:38 am

Is there some sort of preview somewhere?
Magnificate

Unread postby Nasdaq » December 30th, 2010, 9:04 pm

Another mildly unrelated question... any tips on getting published, even short story-wise? I'm working on some material of my own I hope to get out there to make myself look better when I go shopping around with a longer work I want to get published.
"Sasuke was not really happy with his team. The shy Hyuuga, and the laziest person he'd ever known where not people he'd have picked. And he never expected how a blue-eyed, blond-haired, and newly minted jounin would transform them all into a true team." - Naruto-sensei, currently in Arc 2: The Chuunin Exams
Nasdaq

Unread postby JBern » January 2nd, 2011, 3:32 pm

I can probably answer most of these questions better than Matthew.

The antho will eventually be available via ordering from Barnes and Noble. Createspace has this feature called Expanded Distribution, but it takes time for it to trickle into the inventory catalog that B&N orders from. How much time? I can't say. I suspect it will be in next 4-6 weeks.

The best "preview" would be on Smashwords's website. http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/33593 You can read the entire first story and a good portion of the second story.

Tips on getting published.

1. Short stories need to be concise and deliver a complete story in as few words as possible. Most think of a short story as anything under 7500 words. Realistically, most of the semi-pro and up markets draw the line at either 3000 or 5000 words. The few that actually go up to 7500 words are tough to get into.
2. www.ralan.com is a good clearinghouse that shows what markets are actively looking for stories right now. www.duotrope.com is also good for this.
3. In a novel, a reader will give you roughly the first chapter before they decide if they are going to read further. In a short story, you've got at best the first three paragraphs to hook their interest. Make your opening count otherwise it doesn't matter what you do with the rest.
4. For me, plot is important, but characterization is more important in a short story. (Others may argue differently, but this is just me speaking.) Deliver believable and interesting characters. You don't have the room for an incredibly complex plot in a short story, so keep it simple while you get your feet under you and follow the formula of setup, complication, twist, and resolution. Don't try to overdue the plot on your first original offerings, but do not skimp on characterization!
5. The short story market is brutal and there is little money in it. Prepare for long waits and form letter rejection. It comes with the territory, but it will make that first sale oh so special.

I'll try to swing by and answer other questions. Thanks for all the interest in the anthology.

Regards,
Jim Bernheimer
www.jimbernheimer.com
JBern

Unread postby Nasdaq » January 3rd, 2011, 3:26 pm

Thanks, helps a lot. Yeah, I'm in it for the joy of writing, not the money. S'why I got myself a job in the Air Force instead of going to college to be a writer. Haha, but yeah, thanks, I'll have to save all that.
Nasdaq

Unread postby serbii » January 7th, 2011, 4:17 am

Haven't read it yet but my copy arrived today. :biggrin: I now own a book where I know a couple of the writers.
serbii

Unread postby viridian » January 12th, 2011, 7:45 pm

Just got a nice review of the story!

Karissa's Reading Review

"- Boomerang by Matthew Schocke (5/5)
An excellent urban fantasy story about a mage and crew who go up against an evil lab. Tons of action, well written, and great characterization. Has a bit of a Dresden Files feel to it."
:yuush:
-
Viridian
viridian
Site Admin

Unread postby demonclownbaby » January 14th, 2011, 3:09 pm

I'm about to leave a review on Amazon for the cameo contest... I hope it's okay I haven't read the whole book yet, but I read Boomerang and the first three stories in the book, and I like it and will read the rest as soon as I get a chance.

My account doesn't appear to let me PM the Authorlord so I hope this will serve as my advance notice so I get credit for the review.

I bought this book for one reason: because it contained a story by Matthew Schocke, who had previously self-published some quite excellent free fiction on the web.

His story, Boomerang, is reminiscent of Magic, Inc. by the sci-fi grandmaster Robert A. Heinlein. It takes place on a world where magic exists alongside technology, commonplace but powerful. It actually took me a couple of pages to get into the story though, because it started with a lot of action before I cared about the characters, but it soon establishes the characters, story and setting before settling back into a gripping action story but as always with Schocke, with a real human element. I'll definitely reread this story when I finish the others.

After reading Boomerang first I began at the beginning of the book and discovered three excellent stories in a row. "Maiden Quest" is by far the most entertaining so far, with several laugh-out-loud parts which is a rarity for me. There are nine more stories for me to read and the purchase was already worth every penny. I'll certainly be picking up the first volume now.
demonclownbaby

Return to “%s” General Discussion