2011, movies, and you.

A place to kick back, relax, and have a friendly discussion with intelligent people.

2011, movies, and you.

Unread postby Random_fan » January 13th, 2011, 2:03 am

So we have a thread for games your looking forward to, the next obvious thread is one for movies your looking forward to this year.

The main ones I'm looking forward to are Thor, Captain America, X-men first class and the new pirates of the Caribbean, and to a lesser extent Green Lantern. But one that I only just found out about today, yet know I'm going to be seeing no matter what is called sucker punch, and it's about a group of women who try and escape from an asylum using their dreams, dreams which involves giant robots, dragons, and nazis, here's a trailer.
Random_fan

Re: 2011, movies, and you.

Unread postby gamebrain89 » January 13th, 2011, 3:03 am

Three words. Cowboys and Aliens.
Think Globally. Act Within Local Variable Scope.
<div> Q: How do you annoy a Web Developer? </span>
Kingdom Hearts: Visions of Destiny- The Game So Far...
gamebrain89

Unread postby MrRigger2 » January 13th, 2011, 3:20 am

Thor is on the top of my list, and so is Sucker Punch. I Am Number Four looks somewhat promising as well.

MrRigger
In engineering, the work is only done when there is nothing left to add. In writing, the work is only done when there is nothing left to take away.

Check out Between Magic and Mount Justice
MrRigger2

Unread postby Greybane » January 13th, 2011, 3:33 am

Thor is on the top of my list, and so is Sucker Punch. I Am Number Four looks somewhat promising as well.

MrRigger
Sucker Punch is much lower on mine, but I have serious doubts about No 4. I kept looking at the trailer thinking CLICHE! over and over. Will still probably see.
Odd that. It actually worked.
Greybane

Unread postby Phht » January 13th, 2011, 7:05 am

Sucker Punch is about the only one I can think of that I'd like to see, though I know I'm forgetting some.

Though I think I prefer the first trailer to that one.

EDIT: Drive Angry looks interesting for an action flick. And Priest, well it just looks cool.
"BTW, Phht your ability to think of a plot bunny about any situation impresses me, amuses me and horrifies me. All at the same time. Good for you!" - doc.exe
Play Billy vs Snakeman.
--
Naruto RP: Higure Yuuhi (Sp Jonin, age 20, Konoha)
RP Atlas - Naruto RP wiki
Phht

Unread postby Calinero » January 19th, 2011, 10:36 pm

Cowboys and Aliens looks as though it will be either totally awesome or completely terrible. I'm hoping for the former.
Calinero

Unread postby gamebrain89 » January 19th, 2011, 10:46 pm

Daniel Craig with a ray gun fighting aliens from horseback. Even if it gets shot down in reviews, I have an obligation to watch it. But yeah, its either going to be totally freaking awesome or complete garbage.
Think Globally. Act Within Local Variable Scope.
<div> Q: How do you annoy a Web Developer? </span>
Kingdom Hearts: Visions of Destiny- The Game So Far...
gamebrain89

Unread postby Melverne » October 23rd, 2011, 9:51 am

2011 Movies I have seen and some I would like to see.

I have seen the following this year.

Thor: I liked this the best.
Captain America: The second reason this year while Marvel rules in the theatres.
Green Lantern: I almost didn't go see this because of the reviews but I liked it. Good but not great.
Cowboys and Aliens: The first half of the movie was great the last half was kind of weak for me.
Pirates of the Caribbean: The franchise managed to redeem itself.
Red Riding Hood: Rented this from Netflix. It was better than I expected but I’m glad I didn’t pay to go see it in the theatre.
Rise of the Planet of the Apes: I was pleasantly surprised with this and enjoyed it quite a bit.
Transformers 3: This is now the bar that I measure all bad movies against. IE: Man that movie was bad. Was it Tranformers 3 bad?

Movies I would like to see.
Conan the Barbarian: Definite wait for DVD quality.
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo: I am looking forward to this one.
Hanna: Supposedly Hanna would beat Hit Girl to a bloody pulp.
Harry Potter : I have never seen an HP movie in the theatre. I cringe when I watch the movies. Seeing the special effects and locations were great though.
I Am Number Four: Too many mixed reviews. I decided to wait to rent it. Has anyone seen this?
Sucker Punch: I’m not sure if I want to see this one. It looks like it has the potential to be Transformers 3 bad.
The Three Musketeers: Loosely based on the novel by Alexander Dumas. Some of the characters have the same name but anything else that is similar to the book is pure coincidence. I still want to see it but there is no way I will pay admission at the theatre.
Super 8: Has anyone seen this? What did you think?
X-Men: First Class: I still can’t believe I missed seeing this in the theatre.

Did I miss anything worth noting?

Melverne
Melverne

Unread postby Zankaru Zelladonii » October 23rd, 2011, 12:47 pm

2011 Movies I have seen and some I would like to see.

I have seen the following this year.

Thor: I liked this the best.
Captain America: The second reason this year while Marvel rules in the theatres.
Green Lantern: I almost didn't go see this because of the reviews but I liked it. Good but not great.
Cowboys and Aliens: The first half of the movie was great the last half was kind of weak for me.
Pirates of the Caribbean: The franchise managed to redeem itself.
Red Riding Hood: Rented this from Netflix. It was better than I expected but I’m glad I didn’t pay to go see it in the theatre.
Rise of the Planet of the Apes: I was pleasantly surprised with this and enjoyed it quite a bit.
Transformers 3: This is now the bar that I measure all bad movies against. IE: Man that movie was bad. Was it Tranformers 3 bad?

Movies I would like to see.
Conan the Barbarian: Definite wait for DVD quality.
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo: I am looking forward to this one.
Hanna: Supposedly Hanna would beat Hit Girl to a bloody pulp.
Harry Potter : I have never seen an HP movie in the theatre. I cringe when I watch the movies. Seeing the special effects and locations were great though.
I Am Number Four: Too many mixed reviews. I decided to wait to rent it. Has anyone seen this?
Sucker Punch: I’m not sure if I want to see this one. It looks like it has the potential to be Transformers 3 bad.
The Three Musketeers: Loosely based on the novel by Alexander Dumas. Some of the characters have the same name but anything else that is similar to the book is pure coincidence. I still want to see it but there is no way I will pay admission at the theatre.
Super 8: Has anyone seen this? What did you think?
X-Men: First Class: I still can’t believe I missed seeing this in the theatre.

Did I miss anything worth noting?

Melverne
X-Men: Epic movie.
Conan pulled a Wolverine: Origins and ruined the entire movie for me at the end. Worth watching once though.
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is a must see, better than every movie they have made for the books.
Have seen I Am Number Four, and it was pretty good.
"Machiavelli was wrong, it is better to be loved than feared. It is harder to get people to love you, but those bonds are that much harder to break."
I'm a Princeps, the #1 of a Titan, the crazy bastard who wears an angry house to work. - Tomas, Princeps of Warhound Titan Invictorus

~*~ Ultimate Viridian Dream's Fanfic Recommendation List ~*~
Zankaru Zelladonii

Unread postby Farmer_10 » October 23rd, 2011, 2:08 pm

I gave up around movie 5, but were the last 3 Harry Potter any good? Are they worth the 7-9 hours I'll probably lose forever to watch?
Sweet lady fate, why dost thou piss on me so?!
Farmer_10

Unread postby Zankaru Zelladonii » October 23rd, 2011, 3:30 pm

I gave up around movie 5, but were the last 3 Harry Potter any good? Are they worth the 7-9 hours I'll probably lose forever to watch?
Only the last two.
"Machiavelli was wrong, it is better to be loved than feared. It is harder to get people to love you, but those bonds are that much harder to break."
I'm a Princeps, the #1 of a Titan, the crazy bastard who wears an angry house to work. - Tomas, Princeps of Warhound Titan Invictorus

Zankaru Zelladonii

Unread postby Melverne » October 23rd, 2011, 5:15 pm

I just found this on IMDB. It looks pretty good.

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi2464325145

Melverne
Melverne

Unread postby Zankaru Zelladonii » October 23rd, 2011, 6:21 pm

Melverne
That looks nice.

Zankaru Zelladonii

Unread postby Random_fan » October 23rd, 2011, 6:33 pm

I haven't seen 6, just reading the changes made me angry I'd probably throw something at my TV if I watched it, but both Deathly Hallows weren't terrible, they weren't great, they might have been better if someone had realised that the movies could actually have a dramatic moment though.

Melverne
That looks awesome.
Random_fan

Unread postby Darkandus » October 23rd, 2011, 7:03 pm

Typical, there's always one jackass who has to go and ruin everything.
Spoiler: show
Darkandus

Unread postby Farmer_10 » October 23rd, 2011, 7:15 pm

It's because of crap like that that humanity's probably never gonna develop super-powers. We'll be constantly waiting for that first lab accident that will just f___ up everyone's good time. Lines will be drawn in the sand, sides will have to be chosen. *sighs* We can never have nice things.
Farmer_10

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » October 23rd, 2011, 7:31 pm

Typical, there's always one jackass who has to go and ruin everything.
You might want to clarify who/what you're talking about here Dark.
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby MrRigger2 » October 23rd, 2011, 7:42 pm

I believe he was the talking about the teen in the trailer who randomly shoves a truck off the road, likely killing a man, then shown in a junkyard idly crushing a car while staring menacingly at the camera.

MrRigger
In engineering, the work is only done when there is nothing left to add. In writing, the work is only done when there is nothing left to take away.

Check out Between Magic and Mount Justice
MrRigger2

Unread postby Melverne » October 23rd, 2011, 7:54 pm

I believe he was the talking about the teen in the trailer who randomly shoves a truck off the road, likely killing a man, then shown in a junkyard idly crushing a car while staring menacingly at the camera.

MrRigger
Whew... Thanks for clearing that up. For a moment I thought I had done something wrong.

Melverne
Melverne

Unread postby Darkandus » October 23rd, 2011, 7:55 pm

Sorry for any misunderstanding. I was indeed commenting on the guy abusing his powers for chaos and murder.
Spoiler: show
Darkandus

Unread postby Zankaru Zelladonii » October 23rd, 2011, 7:58 pm

If we ever do get super-powers it is inevitably going to be someone with skewed morals.

Zankaru Zelladonii

Unread postby doc.exe » October 23rd, 2011, 11:08 pm

It looks interesting. The only particular issue I have it's the fake documentary format. While I have enjoyed some movies in that format, almost all of them inevitably end up stretching my suspension of disbelief too far. Simply put, there comes a moment where you just don't believe anyone would really keep filming with such a high level of danger in his surroundings, that the camera battery would have lasted for that long or that the camera wouldn't have gotten destroyed by that point anyway. Also, certain scenes just can't help it but seem too conspicuous as "classic movie exposition" rather than what people would actually film if it was a proper documentary.
"No te tomes la vida demasiado en serio, al fin y al cabo no saldrás vivo de ella." Les Luthiers

"There are two essential rules to management. One, the customer is always right; and two, they must be punished for their arrogance." Dogbert
doc.exe

Unread postby Melverne » October 24th, 2011, 7:58 am

It looks interesting. The only particular issue I have it's the fake documentary format. While I have enjoyed some movies in that format, almost all of them inevitably end up stretching my suspension of disbelief too far. Simply put, there comes a moment where you just don't believe anyone would really keep filming with such a high level of danger in his surroundings, that the camera battery would have lasted for that long or that the camera wouldn't have gotten destroyed by that point anyway. Also, certain scenes just can't help it but seem too conspicuous as "classic movie exposition" rather than what people would actually film if it was a proper documentary.
That is definitely a problem along with the constant motion and poor picture quality. I don't really care for staring up someone's nose during the filming, Blair Witch style.

Melverne
Melverne

Unread postby Melverne » October 25th, 2011, 7:27 pm

Sorry for any misunderstanding. I was indeed commenting on the guy abusing his powers for chaos and murder.
Darn I was hoping to be the guy abusing his powers for chaos and murder. :lol:

Melverne
Melverne

Unread postby Farmer_10 » October 25th, 2011, 8:47 pm

You're gonna fit in here just fine Melverne.
Farmer_10

Return to “%s” General Discussion