Phat Music!

A place to kick back, relax, and have a friendly discussion with intelligent people.

Phat Music!

Unread postby Psalm Of Fire » March 17th, 2011, 12:21 pm

So I discovered a new genre of music about two weeks ago. Dubstep. For those of you who know of it, your heart probably just palpitated :P. So I decided to share. The genre leans to the harder side of things, but there are are softer versions.

So, to help you find what you might like in the genre, here are five example songs arranged from softest to hardest. Its better if you're doing something else while listening.

(Soft-Slow)Learned to Live (Dubstep Remix)

(Soft-Medium)Eden (Snapple Remix)

(Mix-up-Medium)Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites

(Harsh-ish - Medium)Cracks Began to Show

(Sick)Kill Everybody (Just envision a snapped joker)

If you don't like any of these, you probably won't like the genre. If you do, give yourself the Pandora dubstep station! Woo!

(On a side note, this dramatically increases my multi-tasking when play StarCraft II, w00t)
Last edited by Psalm Of Fire on March 21st, 2011, 12:43 am, edited 7 times in total.
"That didn't make me cry. I'm just shedding manly tears over something completely unrelated and super masculine. Like an explosion. An exploding robot. An exploding robot that's on fire. DON'T LOOK AT ME!"
-Farmer10
Psalm Of Fire

Re: Phat Music!

Unread postby Darkandus » March 17th, 2011, 12:55 pm

For as long as I've known about it I've never really cared much about dubstep. I've only ever activly liked two songs from the entire Genre, and I don't even know their names. Ah well.
Spoiler: show
Darkandus

Unread postby bookworm702 » March 17th, 2011, 1:10 pm

I'm afraid I'll have to second Dark's 'meh'. It's not bad, per se, but it's not really that good, either.
bookworm702

Unread postby Psalm Of Fire » March 17th, 2011, 1:23 pm

These songs are from several artist, which one do you find lacking in skill, Bookworm? Of course, skill varies across any genre.

Or did you mean "good" as subjective indicator your appreciation of the music, rather than an objective assessment of the skill of the genre?
"That didn't make me cry. I'm just shedding manly tears over something completely unrelated and super masculine. Like an explosion. An exploding robot. An exploding robot that's on fire. DON'T LOOK AT ME!"
-Farmer10
Psalm Of Fire

Unread postby bookworm702 » March 17th, 2011, 3:18 pm

No, from a skill perspective, these songs were put together very well, and I am sure they are exemplary examples of the genre. I'm just saying from my subjective perspective, these songs, and dubstep as a genre, are merely average.
bookworm702

Unread postby Psalm Of Fire » March 21st, 2011, 12:28 am

Anybody else listen to the samples? It's a bit lonely being the only Dubstep fan so far, :P
-Farmer10
Psalm Of Fire

Unread postby gman391 » March 21st, 2011, 12:57 am

I did. I have to echo Book on this one. It was done well but....the genre didn't speak to me.
"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby Psalm Of Fire » March 21st, 2011, 1:25 am

Fair enough. More for me then.
-Farmer10
Psalm Of Fire

Return to “%s” General Discussion