I Love Version [X]!

A place to kick back, relax, and have a friendly discussion with intelligent people.

I Love Version [X]!

Unread postby Psalm Of Fire » April 25th, 2011, 8:34 pm

Pick one character, tell us in what fanfiction or if it's canon where you like the portrayal/take on that character the best.

I'll start:
Tsunade - Senjuu Naruto
She is completely in character there, and her extremely obsessive mother tendencies lead to touching moments, funny moments, and work very well within the plot. Nicely done *golf clap*.

Your turn.
"That didn't make me cry. I'm just shedding manly tears over something completely unrelated and super masculine. Like an explosion. An exploding robot. An exploding robot that's on fire. DON'T LOOK AT ME!"
-Farmer10
Psalm Of Fire

Re: I Love Version [X]!

Unread postby FeatherBlade » April 26th, 2011, 12:04 am

I'll play!

Hermione - Pet Project.

She learns to turn her crusading impulses to a useful end,in a logical and reasonable manner. I couldn't say whether she's completely in character, as it's been a long time since I've read the original books.

Also, Professor Vector is great in that one. I'm particularly enchanted by the author's depictions of Arithmancy.
FeatherBlade

Unread postby ShonenHero » April 26th, 2011, 5:22 am

Goofy from Kingdom Hearts. He's still Goofy, in the clumsy sense, but he's also a very perceptive and down-to-earth interpretation of the character. It was one of the more unexpected, if welcome characterizations in Kingdom Hearts. Ayup.
ShonenHero

Yahoo Messenger: chubbs.panbuukin
AOL: canera411

Unread postby Psalm Of Fire » April 26th, 2011, 1:10 pm

That's cool. I hate it when characters are forever butt-monkeys.
"That didn't make me cry. I'm just shedding manly tears over something completely unrelated and super masculine. Like an explosion. An exploding robot. An exploding robot that's on fire. DON'T LOOK AT ME!"
-Farmer10
Psalm Of Fire

Unread postby Psalm Of Fire » May 1st, 2011, 11:16 pm

Toph, from Avatar: The Last Airbender. She is such a great character. She tries to be so tough, is so good with her bending and yet bumbles around like the social awkward child she is. And is all the more awesome for it.
-Farmer10
Psalm Of Fire

Unread postby Wittgen » May 2nd, 2011, 12:31 am

Toph is the best. Interesting fact. The creators originally intended for Toph's character to be a big, hulking, badass guy. Then they went, nah, let's have it be a blind little girl, but same personality and same capacity to kick ass.

Hm, I should be on topic. My favorite Faith of all time has to be the Faith from M. McGregor's from the Surrogate Angel/Connected series. I've never seen the emotional and psychological damage Faith has undergone handled more deftly than in that fic. That fic might also have my favorite Xander. Good story.
Wittgen

Unread postby MrRigger2 » May 2nd, 2011, 10:39 am

The original character design for Toph is the guy from the opening sequence, where Katara is doing the whole "Earth, Water, Fire, Air" thing. Your trivia for the day.

I love the version of Azula from Embers. She's still as Badass as canon Azula, you can believe that she's a Manipulative Bitch capable of talking over the Earth Kingdom through stealth and words, not through force, and the author keeps her Genre Savvy/Dangerously Genre Savvy like she was in the show, diving straight into the Nightmare Fuel territory that the show couldn't always include.

MrRigger
In engineering, the work is only done when there is nothing left to add. In writing, the work is only done when there is nothing left to take away.

Check out Between Magic and Mount Justice
MrRigger2

Unread postby Psalm Of Fire » May 2nd, 2011, 11:27 pm

I didn't know that about Toph. Cool stuff.

I actually don't remember Azula from Ember, I'll have to rewatch those episodes. They were great, so it's not exactly going to be a chore.
-Farmer10
Psalm Of Fire

Unread postby Greybane » May 3rd, 2011, 12:24 am

I didn't know that about Toph. Cool stuff.

I actually don't remember Azula from Ember, I'll have to rewatch those episodes. They were great, so it's not exactly going to be a chore.
Embers is a fantastic fanfic. Well, I think it has gone a bit downhill, but still worth the read, easy.
Odd that. It actually worked.
Greybane

Unread postby WarriorDrgnMage » May 3rd, 2011, 1:10 am

Pick one character, tell us in what fanfiction or if it's canon where you like the portrayal/take on that character the best.

Iruka Sensei Cannon
First episode were he protects Naruto first by turning into him and then again when he jumps in front of the boy. Even more then this it's what Iruka.
WarriorDrgnMage

AOL: WarriorDrgnMage

Unread postby doc.exe » May 3rd, 2011, 2:14 am

Well, given that "The Gauntlet" arc of Amazing Spider-man finally arrived to Mexico, I have to say it:

Electro from "Power to the People", written by Mark Waid with art from Paul Azaceta.

Electro has always been one of my favorite members of Spiderman's rogues gallery. Despite the fact that he has always been quite one dimensional, he can be a really deadly foe when written well. In this story Mark Waid not only managed to portray him as cunning and dangerous, but for once actually gave him some sense of pathos. Granted, Max Dillon is still the same opportunistic loser that he has always been, but for once he actually has some lofty goals (loftier than what he usually does at least) and employs imaginative methods to achieve them.

On a somewhat related note, I'm liking the concept behind the current incarnation of Venom. IMO, Venom started as one of Spiderman's more compelling enemies, but as time passed, he just became a joke (and changing the host of the symbiote from Eddie Brock to Mac Gargan didn't improve things in any way). I was not particularly interested when the new series was announced, until they revealed that Flash Thompson was going to be the new host.
Spoiler: show
While Flash has never been one of my favorite characters, after what happened to him in recent years I was genuinely interested in how the writers were going to develop him from there. Having Venom as a black ops operative for the U.S. goverment didn't really appeal to me. But having as the host for the alien a man that not only was crippled while serving his country, but that also idolizes Spiderman, and that actually has good intentions despite the fact that his bully persona makes him an easy target for the dark influence of the suit... Well, that's just a great recipe for drama, adventure and suspense.
From what I have read, the writter (Rick Remender) has not only realized the potential of the concept, but has finally given some respect to the character and turned him into a genuine dark reflection of Spiderman. I just hope for the book to be published in my country and sooner rather than later.
"No te tomes la vida demasiado en serio, al fin y al cabo no saldrás vivo de ella." Les Luthiers

"There are two essential rules to management. One, the customer is always right; and two, they must be punished for their arrogance." Dogbert
doc.exe

Unread postby ShonenHero » May 14th, 2011, 10:13 am

My favorite version of Hermoine:
Spoiler: show
ShonenHero

Yahoo Messenger: chubbs.panbuukin
AOL: canera411

Unread postby Farmer_10 » May 14th, 2011, 12:53 pm

:X3:

Most of the cast - Expectations of development by Kirai

Couldn't pick just one

Naruto: Pretty much his canon self pre-timeskip, which is not a bad thing during that time.

Sasuke: Subconsciously his Libido is waging an epic one-man war against the rest of Sasukes mind.

Sakura: More or less the leader of the team now.

And the dynamic between the three is just great. There's also some awesome developments with the rest of the cast too.
Sweet lady fate, why dost thou piss on me so?!
Farmer_10

Return to “%s” General Discussion