TARDIS Quest

"Anyone else noticed most of the quests are built around Death and Crazy?" Quests are Play By Post Games with collectively controlled protagonists. Join in and have fun!

TARDIS Quest

Unread postby Arganaut » May 10th, 2011, 9:19 pm

'As long as I've been at this job, I never can quite get over just what sorts of people come in through those doors.'

A lead psychiatrist's thoughts lingered on this note as he looked at the newest patient to be dragged into the asylum. Being in this line of work wasn't for the faint of heart: the most deranged of personalities resided here alongside the most utterly disturbed, with the strange and untenable residing somewhat amidst the middle of these rather off factions.

As a psychiatrist he had the distinct displeasure of watching these men wallow in their madness, making vain attempts to help them get over their illness in order to make them functioning members of society. If the man were to be perfectly frank, he'd say he'd seen just about everything there was to see in this line of work.

This new patient was, at once, no different and yet very different.

The man was distinctly Irish, though seemingly from the British segment of the island. A dark, full head of red hair sat lazily strewn about his face and, somewhat pale skin marred by freckles of various color and intensity. His nose was somewhat crooked at the bend, more likely than not from some self-inflicted injury if his impression of this patient was anything to go by.

Standing at about 5' 7" he was hardly an overwhelming appearing young man, thirty some odd years old if the psychiatrist had to guess... and yet this man managed to be far more intimidating when you met him face to face.

By all accounts he was a typical case really: bouts of madness marked by delusions of grandeur and fantasy that were likely created from memories corrupted thanks to dementia. In all reality, this should have been a snap for him to deal with.

But this man seemed to forgo reality.

The tales he spun during their first session were unlike anything he had ever heard before. Tales of far off worlds, races of creatures unheard of and a race of immortal beings, which this man claimed to be a part of. Yet, looking straight into his eyes you would know that this man felt he was telling the truth... and that he seemed to be teasing you with it.

Odd, but hardly anything to get worked up over.

Currently he was being restrained in a straitjacket, the man labeled as a danger to himself when, in an attempt to 'prove' his immortality, he offered to smash his head against a rock. Needless to say, when he actually attempted to do so, this pretty much forced the need for a straitjacket. However this jacket was being placed over top of the clothes he had come in with.

By his own insistence, which seemed to border on outright dependence and obsession, was allowed to keep the clothes he had been dragged in with: dress pants with a nice pair of shoes, a white button up shirt with a straight black neck tie, although a loose-fitting coat was kept away for the sake of having his new straitjacket fit.

A thorough search through his clothes revealed nothing of any great danger to himself, save for a mirror in one of the jacket pockets, and it was figured that a transition period in something he seemed to fancy so much would keep him from being too much of a problem initially.

Watching as the young man was dragged off, firmly trapped within the straitjacket, the psychiatrist sighed as he rubbed his forehead. It was getting late, time for him to go home...

---------------------------------------------------

May 10th, 2011, 11:33 P.M. - London, England

It was late, time to get moving.

Humans were always a rather funny lot, hardly a man or woman amongst them with an open enough mind to actually listen to you when you speak with them. Talk with them about the weather or the most recent episode of one of their asinine television programs and they'll, even if only to keep up some appearance of good grace, speak with you.

Try to tell them you're an alien with a time machine that doubled as a space ship and they'd put you into the nearest asylum. Of course, he'd been counting on this little fact.

The scanners had revealed a rather odd fluctuation in the space-time continuum when he had passed by this time and date. Now, normally this wouldn't be much of a problem, considering how many time travel enabled species there were around the universe...

What made it unique was that the source anomaly was one of these humans, a species most certainly not able to travel through time... hell, barely able to travel through space at this date.

This human had been locked up in this particular asylum as well, from what he was able to gather the man had gone around telling people he was from the future, acting out rather harshly and confusedly when confronted by the people of this time.

A human from the future mysteriously ended up in a time before his own with no means of getting back to this particular time in the first place?

Why, this might as well have been a hand written invitation for him to check this out. The next part from deciding to come was the easy part: 'faking' needing to go to an asylum was always easy by human standards.

Placing his ear against the door of his padded cell, he could just barely hear the watchman start to wander his way down the hall...

Time for the decidedly more difficult part.

------------------------------------------------------

Inventory
Spoiler: show
Sonic Screwdriver (Location: Stomach)
What do you do?

Yep, Doctor Who Quest. CURSE YOU DAVID TENNANT! YOU TOO MATT SMITH!
Last edited by Arganaut on May 11th, 2011, 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arganaut

Re: TARDIS Quest

Unread postby leon89 » May 10th, 2011, 9:47 pm

Ask for a lemon! We always need a lemon.
Nope
Somebody buried a tornado, and it's trying to escape.
leon89

Unread postby ewuvi » May 10th, 2011, 10:06 pm

We do, but there aren't even any females around! And I don't think that Arg would really be comfortable with...

oh, did you mean the fruit? If so, I'd ask for a minneola. Much more yummy.
ewuvi

Unread postby serbii » May 11th, 2011, 5:37 am

These lemons? We don't want to stinking lemons!

Well if this is the kind of asylum that will have social sessions and crayon time and shuffling around in the sunlight we should probably just hang around and kill some time before we can speak to this guy in the rec room.
If this is the kind of asylum where we're about four crazy comments off a lobotomy and shock therapy, I say we have a look around and see what we have to work with aside from an ingested hunk of metal and magic.
serbii

Unread postby Arganaut » May 11th, 2011, 6:05 am

Smacking his lips together as he walked away from the door, the man suddenly felt a strong craving for lemons. Though he doubted the watchmen would much appreciate being asked to run to the nearest corner shop on a lemon run, he'd have to remember to grab a lemon later.

Observing the padded cell, he noted that... well, it was a padded cell. There was nothing in here to ensure that he couldn't hurt himself. The straitjacket was there to make sure that, without any other objects around to hurt himself, that he wouldn't hurt himself with his bare hands.

Still, the straitjacket was a temporary hold. If left on for too long it'd start to cause painful fluid build-up around his joints and painful cramps around the neck and shoulders... well, it would if he were human at any rate. Which meant that they'd be in to take it off, presumably while he was asleep.

If he had time to just sit around he'd probably manage to be let out of the cell and out to paint or hang around with the other clinically insane folks around the asylum. Unfortunately, he was on a very strict time table, one that couldn't afford him to wait so long.

Besides that... there was something off about his trip to the asylum. Not so much with the guards or the other inmate or even the asylum itself. There was definitely something here, and if his suspicions were to be proved correct...

Not that it mattered as of this moment. There were watchmen posted nearby and his own cell door, while padded, was metallic and strong. What mattered right now was on planning how to get from point A, his dingy little cell, to point B, mister 'I'm from the future''s dingy little cell.

-------------------------------------------------

Forgot to add this in the previous post, but just for those of us who don't know what the hell this Quest is all about:

"What is this?"
This Quest is based off of the Sci-Fi universe of Doctor Who, a British Science Fiction television program that has aired, nearly without stop, since the 1960s. Its a vast universe of space-faring aliens, time traveling races and wondrous creatures and very intricate locations to be seen, studied and, in some cases, fought off for survival.

You are currently playing a Renegade citizen of a Planet known as Gallifry, a planet filled with a race of beings whom have mastered the art of time travel. Unfortunately, due to the sordid development of time travel (in this Quest's universe, which is standing as an alternative universe to the canon-verse) on the planet, time travel for any purpose other than to correct the anomalies caused by other time traveling races is very, very illegal.

Out of either boredom or a wish to help the universe, your character has taken a TARDIS, a Time and Relative Dimensions in Space machine, that can travel through time, space and even other dimensions. This, of course, makes you an outlaw of your species, and all the dangers that comes with.

This alien species, while extremely human in appearance, has a very different biology as compared to humans. The basics of which amount to a greater ability to control the functions of your body, somewhat increased endurance and physical capabilities, and an immense intellect to work with. Added to a lot of this is a greatly slowed biological clock, plus the ability to 'Regenerate'.

Regeneration for your character basically means that when you take a lethal blow in this Quest, your body will begin to break down its current form and, using its life essence, create a brand new body from it. This completely changes the appearance of your character, and it should be noted that it would also change their personality. Keep this in mind for when you regenerate.

Now then, on top of your wits you also have in your arsenal, currently, a tool known as a Sonic Screwdriver. On top of being a very nifty screwdriver, the Sonic Screwdriver is capable of picking locks, scanning various things for information you might need, destroying or working with electronics and so on.

The full range of uses (that will be allowed for this Quest) will be given once you have the screwdriver in your possession. Anything other than the listed uses will have to be rolled for.
Last edited by Arganaut on May 11th, 2011, 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arganaut

Unread postby leon89 » May 11th, 2011, 9:33 am

First get out of the strait jacket, we are strong enough to easily rip it to shreds. First we need to formulate a plan. We need more information on our neighbor, ask guard.

---------------------------
Don't forget the doctor does not kill directly.
Nope
leon89

Unread postby Joe » May 11th, 2011, 1:28 pm

'We're wearing a straight jacket. Straight jackets are cool'.

Am I right in assuming that in this alternate WHOniverse the last great time war didn't take place?

Anyway, let's not tear our way out of the straight jacket, where's the class in that? We're the Doctor, we must have met Houdini at some point in our travels. I say we use the tricks we learned from him to get out of it.
Joe

Unread postby Magnificate » May 11th, 2011, 4:13 pm

We could wait for some psychiatrist to come and talk to him or her. There is no need to rush and could enjoy the conversation. Perhaps even talk our way out of the cell and gain new companions?
Magnificate

Unread postby leon89 » May 11th, 2011, 4:33 pm

I don't think we would want a psychiatrist as Nakama, I'm pretty sure we want the person in the other cell, as long as they don't turn out to be a villain.
Nope
leon89

Unread postby serbii » May 11th, 2011, 7:32 pm

We're the Doctor
Unless Arg has changed his mind from when we spoke about it we're not The Doctor, nor The Master, we're another random time lord.
serbii

Unread postby leon89 » May 11th, 2011, 8:48 pm

We're the Doctor
Unless Arg has changed his mind from when we spoke about it we're not The Doctor, nor The Master, we're another random time lord.
Ah, then we need a name.

I vote 'Traveler' or 'Outlaw' or, or even better we are 'Crazy~~'

"~" are important, they are wavy hands.

that also (probably) means Tardis has a working chameleon circuit.
Nope
leon89

Unread postby serbii » May 12th, 2011, 4:36 am

Unfortunately, he was on a very strict time table
The irony.

Well seeing as everyone is insane and locked in padded rooms I doubt they'll pay some guy to stand at our door all night, seems like it wouldn't be cost efficient. Welp, let's get to coughing up that screw driver unless we can contort ourselves out of that jacket.

Yes, we will need a name at some point.
serbii

Unread postby Arganaut » May 12th, 2011, 10:45 am

"Now... let's see if I can do this right." The young man said as he began shrugging his arms, throwing himself forward a few times.

Roll(1d6)+0: 6,+0 Total:6

Worming his way around a bit, the young man eventually loosened the straitjacket till he could easily pull his arms from the restraints, the man laughing slightly as he pulled off the restraint.

"Well, that's going to make this next part a bit easier." He said with a chuckle, straightening out his tie as he opened his mouth slightly.

A few minutes of gagging later, the young man was now cleaning off a slender tool on the padded walls. A blue gem was secured onto the edge of the pen-like device, a few switches, panels and tiny knobs along its length. The alien, after having cleaned the device enough, flipped open a small panel on the device, revealing a small clock counting down:

Days: 00 Hours: 03 Minutes: 23 Seconds: 21

"Took a little too much time getting in here, but I've got plenty of time left." The man said, going over to the door as he activated the Sonic Screwdriver, pointing the blue gem at the door's handle.

"Now let me think, what was the layout of this place?" He said, closing his eyes a bit.

A metal gate about 100 yards off from the main entrance to the asylum, two cameras on each side of the gate and one camera about fifty feet off from each camera. At the front of the asylum a pair of double doors open to a narrow corridor, a storage room to the immediate left. They took his jacket and mirror and put it in there, 'storage' they said. Nearby the storage room there was a desk, people signing in and out, the information being logged onto their computer.

From there walked thirty feet forward, took a right, then walked another thirty feet, another turn. More likely than not the asylum follows this pattern for most of the holding cells, as this pattern of perfect thirty-foot squares continued for quite sometime. Didn't start off with padded cells, most likely less-violent, of both outward and inward violence, are kept. Moved me into the padded cell area for fear of me hurting myself. Was put into a cell, said they'd process me in the morning.

"Alright then. So, he's probably been processed. He's in one of these cells and this little baby..." A little click snapped him out of his thoughts, placing the Sonic Screwdriver into his pocket before opening the door, a small smile on his face.

"I should be able to find him rather easily."

Anyway, to answer Joe's question, no, the Last Great Time War hasn't occurred yet. The Galifreyans are quite alive and well in this universe. Also, just to note, there hasn't been a 'Doctor' figure in this universe previously, just as there's been no 'Master' figure. This is an alternate universe with a clean slate, save for what adventures this particular individual already has had.

Anyway, the specific uses for a Sonic Screwdriver:
-Picking Locks
-Scanning people, electronics, energies, et cetera ad infinitum
-Signaling the TARDIS (takes a while and emits a loud burst of sonic energy, causing lots of noise)
-Manipulating electronics
-Screwdriver

Other uses will be rolled for. It should be noted that should you try something that the Screwdriver isn't listed to do, there's a slight chance you might end up overloading the Screwdriver, breaking it. A new one will be produced, after some time, in the TARDIS, but if you break it outside of the TARDIS you'll be without it till you can get back.

However, with each new Screwdriver, a new 'slot' for a programmed in use will be made available.
Arganaut

Unread postby leon89 » May 12th, 2011, 7:59 pm

Use natural sense 'for things that don't belong in this time' to find our friend. Also try to remember why our screw driver is counting down.
Nope
leon89

Unread postby LifeOfGesture » May 13th, 2011, 2:13 am

^That or find a computer to hack into. Remember, if we walk with swagconfidence, no one will think anything's a matter!
LifeOfGesture

Unread postby Darkandus » May 13th, 2011, 3:36 pm

Striding is good, perhaps we should remotely start screwing with the lights to distract any guards and make our way to the guy from the future.
Darkandus

Unread postby Arganaut » May 13th, 2011, 4:48 pm

With his escape from the cell complete the alien man took a few looks about the corridor he was in, producing his Sonic Screwdriver again. "Just have to start searching for the frequency the TARDIS locked onto and-" A small ding from the screwdriver as the machine lightly hummed caused the alien to grin a bit. "-brilliant."

Roll(1d8)+0: 8,+0 Total:8

Following the trail the sonic device had locked onto, the alien followed the minor humming of the device through the corridors. Wasn't easy going through them, he'd admit. Along the way he had to duck through about eight different members of the security personnel. Of course, distracting them was easy enough. Shattering a light or causing one of the bulbs to flicker at insane speeds was enough to grab their attentions, or spook others into running off for maintenance.

After a few minutes the screwdriver indicated one of the doors in the non-violent ward of the asylum, the alien shimmying on up to the door and knocking on it, aiming the sonic device at the door's handle.

"Wha? Who's there?" He heard a very tired sounding voice call out from the other end of the door, the voice very masculine in its tone.

-----------------------------------------

The title we go by? Also, questions for our future friend?

Just a note for none DW fans: each 'Renegade Time Lord' usually goes by some title in the form of a 'The' and a noun. A few examples are 'The Doctor', 'The Master', 'The Warlord' et cetera.
Arganaut

Unread postby Wittgen » May 13th, 2011, 6:10 pm

The Lothario? Nah, too Leto. The Joker? Nah, taken. The Professor? I actually kind of like that. I vote something academic. The Professor. The Teacher. The Dean. The Student. The Librarian.
Wittgen

Unread postby leon89 » May 13th, 2011, 6:24 pm

"I'm The Spy"
"I'm The Engineer"
"I'm The Medic"
"I'm The Solder"
"I'm The Demoman"
"I'm The Scout"
"I'm The Heavy"
"I'm The Sniper"
"I'm The Pyro"

"I'm The Wanderer"
"I'm The Prince"
"I'm The Count"
"I'm The Alien"
"I'm The Sir"
"I'm The Angel"
"I'm The Traveler"
"I'm The Outlaw"
"I'm The Repairman"
Nope
leon89

Unread postby Aldraia Dragonsong » May 13th, 2011, 6:31 pm

The Professor has a nice ring to it, though I think my favorite of the suggestions so far given is The Repairman.
Random Scholomance Quote of However Long It Takes Me To Get Bored of the Last One:
“Ancell: respecting personal boundaries to the detriment of his friends since 1993.” ~bookworm702
Aldraia Dragonsong

Unread postby ShonenHero » May 14th, 2011, 12:46 am

I like Aldrai's suggestion, but I say change Repairman to The Janitor (similar in terms of formalities). Anyone who frequents with TV Tropes should know why I chose that particular title.

:biggrin:
ShonenHero

Yahoo Messenger: chubbs.panbuukin
AOL: canera411

Unread postby LifeOfGesture » May 14th, 2011, 2:21 am

The janitor. Yessss. And we can ask questions once we get him out of there and into our tardis. This is no time for loitering!
LifeOfGesture

Unread postby leon89 » May 14th, 2011, 2:30 am

Okay, 'The Janitor' trumps all of my ideas. I might as well give a few honorary mentions.

"I'm The Plumber"
"I'm The Tax Collector"
"I'm The Last Man You Ever Wanted To See"
"I'm The Blueman"
"I'm The Nanny"
"I'm The Maid"
"I'm The Butler"
"I'm The Song That Never Ends~"
Nope
leon89

Unread postby serbii » May 14th, 2011, 2:41 am

XD I dont know if there's even a point to posting. I cant think of anything better or good enough to swing votes.
serbii

Unread postby Arganaut » May 14th, 2011, 4:36 am

"I'm The Janitor." The Janitor called through the door, the Sonic Screwdriver fiddling with the lock as he heard an exasperated sigh from the other side.

"Look, I don't know what sort of messes you're used to cleaning up in other cells, but I can assure you th-"

"No, not that sort of janitor you idiot." The alien time traveler said, seeing the young man look at him through the window into his room. The young man in question was a rather dark skinned individual, his head shaved close to the scalp as he looked at The Janitor.

"Well, when you say 'The Janitor' what the hell else am I supposed to think?" The young man asked, before continuing. "Besides, you don't look like any janitor I've ever seen around here. Who are you?"

"Like I said, 'The Janitor'."

"I got that bit, what's your name?"

"Are you daft? I said The Janitor." The Janitor said, hearing the click of the lock as he walked into the room, seeing the young man back up slowly. "Anyway, that's not important, what is important is that I'm here to help you."

"Help me with what?" The young man asked, seeming rather... tense. After all, the man had just opened up a locked door without a key.

"Well, according to my scanner and your own protests, help you get back to your time." The Janitor said, the young man's eyes widening slightly as he gaped his mouth open. "What's your name young man?"

"L-L-Luke, sir." The young man stammered, obviously quite amazed. "You mean you, you believe me?"

"Well, either you, my screwdriver and my scanners are either lying, crazy or dead wrong, or you're from the future. All things considered, all three of things can't be wrong at once." The Janitor said, Luke blinking slightly as he shakily nodded.

"I-I'm not crazy and I'm not lying. I'm from the year 2786! I keep telling these people that but they don't believe me." Luke said, the Janitor nodding as he looked back at him.

"Yes, and what a fascinating year that is. However, you'll have to stress out about this whole swing through the centuries later, for now we'd best leave while we have an opening." The Janitor said, Luke blinking slightly.

"Wait, where are we going?" Luke asked, The Janitor smiling slightly.

"Well, after we're safely out of here and you tell me what happened, you'll be going home." The Janitor said, a grin on his face as he looked into the surprised expression of the young man. A series of emotions ran across Luke's face. Shock, elation, gratitude... confusion, emptiness, worry.

"But sir, I don't know what happened to me." Luke said, the Janitor raising an eyebrow as he brought out the Screwdriver again, scanning Luke.

"What do you mean? No one just gets thrown back in time and not know what happened to them." The Janitor said, his scan of Luke pulling up nothing out of the ordinary.

"That's the truth though. One moment I'm just walking home, I notice some figure standing in an alley and then in the blink of an eye I'm standing in the middle of this London's square sir."
Arganaut

Return to “%s” Quests