Naruhina,love,omnipresence.. and urge to relieve...

A place to kick back, relax, and have a friendly discussion with intelligent people.

Naruhina,love,omnipresence.. and urge to relieve...

Unread postby Memoriam » January 13th, 2012, 5:55 am

Greetings geeks, gamers, savants, apostles, and viridian dreamers.

A year ago...
I remember scraping past the exams to a month of educational and institutionalised freedom and retracing my footsteps into my impressionable childhood with Naruto Shippuden. Watched the anime and read the manga and experienced alternate bouts of ecstatic euphoria and concomitant rage.

Penetrated the world of fanfiction through some crack pairings and an entire virtual dimension came alive with doujinshi, fanarts and fandoms and noticed a virulent Naruhina shipping almost everywhere. Vitriolic Fan Following accompanied by incandescent rage and sublime devotion in some places and Symbiotic Acceptance with mutual co-habitation and tranquility in others (fewer in number).

Team 8 was a revelation with a huge fan base, avid fan following, and ubiquitous recommendations.
I hope the hallowed halls of Viridian Dreamers allows me to probe the situation.

My question is, Why/How did Naruhina become this sensation and the effigy of the quintessential couple, people? Is it the symbol of transcendental chaste love(as potrayed in many fanfictions and widely advocated by the majority) or the ultimate cliche of contemporary literature (remembering Harry Potter)? Is it something more? Is it the Deadly Duo of Lightning Bruiser Naruto and Yamato Nadeshiko Hinata that sealed the deal?

Why did Team 8 garner so many fans aside from its perspicuously detailed characterisation, deft plot setting and championing of feel-good social ideals and principles ? Also why do fans take a vicious salvo against any other pairing they encounter?

The answer may be canon, fanon, or something that we intuitively impulsively feel as society. All these shed light on different aspects of the Naruhina ideology and may contribute in helping us answer the question.

Hope to have individual perspectives of many many people and cumulative viewpoints of many others. My close short scrutiny of viridian dreams forums revealed how mature and well mannered residents are and IMHO that is what this debate exactly needs. Also I hope The Evil Authorlord (..Maniacal Laughter :devil ) will grace us with an insight on the inspirational pairing of Team 8, his reasons and his overview of the situation.

Thank You :biggrin:
Memoriam

Re: Naruhina,love,omnipresence.. and urge to relieve...

Unread postby gman391 » January 13th, 2012, 8:19 pm

Well to be clear even with the popularity of NaruHina...it's not the most popular fan pairing by a long shot. That is
NaruSasu or SasuNaru depending on which one you think would be 'dominant'.

Anyways NaruHina works because for most people they balance each other out. Naruto's brash, Hinata's calm and so on. The fact that Hinata already has a crush on Naruto in canon just makes it easier. Then there's the assorted cuteness and what not.

Hinata is fairly Moe. The term Moeblob is usually applied to Mikuru Asahina of "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya" but it applies to Hinata to in a lot of ways. That means a lot of people want to make her happy. Making her happy means having her with Naruto usually. This is also why people who do like her and the ship defend it as much as they do.

(Hmm plot bunny, Hinata as Mikuru...Focus brain!)

Naruto on the other also brings to the table the Iron Woobie. We know that he's...okay not exactly smart or deep but we know he struggled a lot with his angst before deciding to be come a master and kick angst to the curb. Out of that we infer that he really wants people to truly care for and love him. Hinata can give that according to most people. So the pairing works from that direction as well.

Why do people love Team 8?
Well a lot of reasons
For some of us it was the first introduction to the Naruto Fandom and it holds a special place for that.
For some of us it's because the characters are all believable and well written
For some of us it's because we enjoy the story
For some of us it's because we like seeing a true AU from a subtle change

It's different for everyone. We have our reasons for shipping or not shipping NaruHina and for enjoying a story that many find great.

It's not a dark secret really
"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby Psalm Of Fire » January 13th, 2012, 11:10 pm

What a great topic! Name's a bit sloppy, but whatever.

My wrists are a bit damaged, so I can't give this the reply I want. I will, however, say a few key elements I think played into the success of Team 8.

First, very strong themes of acceptance. Hinata has a need for it, Naruto has a need for it, and, in a less intense way, so does Shino. Almost everyone is impacted by that, feeling the desire of acceptance. In fact, that need dictates so many of our actions, is almost frightening. So this is a very deep, core part of the human experience. If you look at the age demographic of FF.N (fanfiction.net), it's even more true, when youth lacks the perspective experience offers, (and often the withdrawl and suppression adults have of this need).

The acceptance theme of Team 8 is very consistent from start to finish: characters is afraid, opens up to their team a bit, and closeness ensues. No one is rejected, and need for acceptance is met with acceptance within the team. This is in great contrast to real life, where people tend to have a lot more misunderstandings, ignorance, or self-centered motivations, and the need for acceptance is not properly communicated or met. In essence, Team 8 serves as the essential fantasy of one of humanity's greatest needs being met.

(Here you can see partly why Hinata has become the primary shipping: these themes of acceptance naturally arise from her character. These themes of acceptance is also why Naruto canon storyline resonated so well with audiences, what with Naruto and the Kyuubi. It's also why so many people were upset when the revelation to his teammates that he is, in fact, the Kyuubi container was handled so lamely/offhandedly.)

The second, and this tends to be more attractive to the early team demographic, is the simple "we're good they're bad" mentality. Hyuuga are almost all bad. Hokage is good. Village is bad. Kurenai is good. There's security in knowing who your enemies and allies are, and a certain comfort in being able to dismiss and (on some level) dehumanize your enemies.

For many reasons, I feel like Matt's handling of these themes are... fantastically (as in fantasy) simple. It's part of their charm, but it's also not a reflection of the real world, so in this sense I view this part of the story as a sort of candy: delightful, but not transcendent beyond the text. Don't get me wrong, Team 8 helped me get through a very hard point in my life, so I don't mean there is no real world benefit. But, still, most stories that really stick with me over the years are those that help answer life's hard questions, or help equip the reader to face some of life's problems. Part of Team 8's brilliance, and it's limitations, is that it doesn't do that.

(This is my experience, of course, I'd love to see contrary experiences or evidence for discussion.)

EDIT:
Now that it's later, I can add some more about Hinata specifically.

Western audiences love an underdog. And boy is she ever the underdog versus her cousin in the chuunin exams of canon. I think this was the first stage of audiences really "falling in love with her as a character". Before, she's not really that interesting, as all we know of her is that she was secretly supportive of Naruto (which, of course, earns our sympathy if we manage to remember her).

The chuunin exam storyline is amazing in so many ways, especially when looking at her character. It was amazing to see her fight to get up again. I remember that moment when she thinks "I won't give up anymore", and she stands back up with a spine of steel. As readers, we've all faced challenges we feared. Hinata was the perfect example of that struggle. We needed to see her fight, we needed to see it like we need reassurance we can fight our own battles. And for a moment, it looked like she could win.

Then, she couldn't. It was a surprise, for me at least. But then she just wouldn't give up. The bittersweet song of tragedy (through failure and possibly death) starts to pull at us. And even as she is getting crushed, in a way, she's winning, refusing to be put down. So that, even as she loses the external conflict, she is victorious over the internal conflict. She has beaten her own weakness. This resonates with us in so many ways.

Combine this with her woobie-ness (the sympathy she evokes, the strength of it, from the terrible situations she's been in), her conquering the dismissal and complete devaluing of her father (another theme very common for readers), and her ultimate failure to win, it just plays across our sympathies and makes a character you want to root for. Her support and appreciation of Naruto also connects us to her character.

She hasn't seen much spotlight since then -- yeah, she's appeared here and there and took a big action in the pain arc -- but it's still more of those themes. Conquering her fear to face Pain and declare her love to Naruto, and such.

Now, why do so many people ship them? I honestly think most of us are approaching the relationship from Hinata's perspective. We want them to be together based on just how much Naruto means to Hinata. Honestly, Hinata doesn't mean that much to Naruto, and there is little basis of a relationship from him to her. But on the flip side, Naruto is the reason she was able to conquer herself and become a person she doesn't despise. Whether or not her crush is healthy, the truth is, it's very easy to want to see her succeed there. Because she still is a broken person, and because of the chuunin exam arc we've become so sympathetic with her, we can't help but want to see her repaired. And Naruto's shown a history of helping people.

On a more Meta level, male readers tend to feel more connected or attracted to female characters with which there is a need that can be field -- i.e. if they were to have a relationship with the character, they would have a role they know they could perform that would be genuinely valued by the female in question. It gives them a place. Hinata has that.

Also, she's "safe". She's so socially desperate (in the sense that she really needs a friend), that she'll be very considerate of the other person. You know that, in a relationship with her, you'll be valued. It's said that the person with the least interest in a relationship has the power, and she's extremely interested in a relationship, and so the other party is safe.

And the last major reason she's so attractive to the audience goes back to how much we sympathize with her: you just want to give her a blanket and some warm soup, sooth away the fears, and tell her it's going to be alright. I could see those kinds of stories (well executed) many dozen times, and it would still connect with me.

So, to summarize:

1) We're so sympathetic with her that we want to see her powerful emotions toward Naruto fulfilled
2) She is attractive to much of the readership, and so we like to see her in romances.

I think those are the biggest reasons I know.
"That didn't make me cry. I'm just shedding manly tears over something completely unrelated and super masculine. Like an explosion. An exploding robot. An exploding robot that's on fire. DON'T LOOK AT ME!"
-Farmer10
Psalm Of Fire

Unread postby SynzofGlikus » February 8th, 2012, 4:30 am

Well to be clear even with the popularity of NaruHina...it's not the most popular fan pairing by a long shot. That is
NaruSasu or SasuNaru depending on which one you think would be 'dominant'.

Anyways NaruHina works because for most people they balance each other out. Naruto's brash, Hinata's calm and so on. The fact that Hinata already has a crush on Naruto in canon just makes it easier. Then there's the assorted cuteness and what not.
I think the most popular fan paring is probably Naruto/Multiple not the slash xD but I haven't actually slogged through writing a program to calculate it. Naru/Hina is the only paring that seems to avoid the multiple fallacy but being canon it has become fairly iconic for its assorted cuteness indeed.

As for this
Why do people love Team 8?
Well a lot of reasons
For some of us it was the first introduction to the Naruto Fandom and it holds a special place for that.
For some of us it's because the characters are all believable and well written
For some of us it's because we enjoy the story
For some of us it's because we like seeing a true AU from a subtle change

It's different for everyone. We have our reasons for shipping or not shipping NaruHina and for enjoying a story that many find great.

It's not a dark secret really
:agree: Team 8 has something for everyone to love ^^.
“My dear friends,” said the king, “we have come a long way… yet our journey has only just begun. Our species is young on this planet. Today we are like children again. The future lies open before us. We shall go into this future and try to do better than we have done in the past. We have time now – time to get things right, time to grow up, time to learn from our mistakes, time for the slow process of building a better world, and time to get settled in it.
The True Fable
SynzofGlikus

Unread postby gman391 » February 8th, 2012, 4:56 am

Having trawled the Pit more then once. Yes I can say that.

On rating: All
Language English
There is
233,387 Naruto fanfics

Of those

28,614 are Naru Sasu fanfics

Or roughly 12 percent

10673 are NaruHina fanfics

Or 4 percent

Yeah I'm pretty sure NaruSasu wins by a pretty large margin. Of course this isn't measuring the composition of all the fanfics for Naruto on the Pit.

Even Naruto centric fics only comprise
73,579 fanfics available which is

about 31 percent total.

So yeah. NaruSasu is pretty popular on the Pit.
"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world."
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby SynzofGlikus » February 8th, 2012, 5:12 am

Yeah I wish there was a way to accurately count the number of harem fics/pairing with fem naruto other than SasuNaru. Oh well I guess we will just have to rest on our dear 12% laurels ^^ while waiting to see if Naru/Hina continues to emerge dominant in crowning moments of aww.
“My dear friends,” said the king, “we have come a long way… yet our journey has only just begun. Our species is young on this planet. Today we are like children again. The future lies open before us. We shall go into this future and try to do better than we have done in the past. We have time now – time to get things right, time to grow up, time to learn from our mistakes, time for the slow process of building a better world, and time to get settled in it.
The True Fable
SynzofGlikus

Unread postby gman391 » February 8th, 2012, 5:43 am

Indeed, the Pit needs an
"Exclude Character option"
----Jack Layton
gman391

Unread postby Nebula1701 » February 8th, 2012, 11:25 am

problem with (On rating: All) is that many authors don't use the character list as a pairing list and just the main characters that get focus in the story... so your findings can still be skewed.
Nebula1701

Yahoo Messenger: nebula1701@gmail.com
AOL: nebula1701

Unread postby Minion » February 8th, 2012, 12:06 pm

Yeah I wish there was a way to accurately count the number of harem fics/pairing with fem naruto other than SasuNaru. Oh well I guess we will just have to rest on our dear 12% laurels ^^ while waiting to see if Naru/Hina continues to emerge dominant in crowning moments of aww.
I was shocked to discover that Fem Naruto has been given her own character slot as "Naruko". This would help narrow things down, but a lot of those fics don't use the slot, still counting it as "Naruto". Maybe the authors aren't aware yet, as it is a pretty new addition. But Fem Naruto makes up a very small portion of NaruSasu, and as far as monogamous pairings go, it's by far the most popular. It's probably only a matter of time before there is a harem slot...
Minion

Unread postby gman391 » February 8th, 2012, 3:49 pm

problem with (On rating: All) is that many authors don't use the character list as a pairing list and just the main characters that get focus in the story... so your findings can still be skewed.
I have no doubt that some of this fanfics are friendship fics and the like. But it's still telling.
----Jack Layton
gman391

Return to “%s” General Discussion