Mayan Survival Guide

A place to kick back, relax, and have a friendly discussion with intelligent people.

Mayan Survival Guide

Unread postby Arganaut » December 20th, 2012, 2:11 pm

Welp, according to everyone and their mom, and their ancestors if they came from Central America, the world ends sometime between 11 and 35 hours from now folks. It's been a good run, but I think we all can agree that it's about time for the Apocalypse.

Before we all start roasting in lava, or the long-since dead start to rise out of the Earth or whatever that crazy man at the end of your street corner says is going to happen, how about we all jot down some notes and tips on how to make the most of the Last Day on Earth.

I for one will be downtown. Not because of any sweet raves, but because sometime tomorrow I'm willing to bet that there'll be doomsday panic, and I want to score that flat screen tv that I've been eying for a while.

Arganaut

Re: Mayan Survival Guide

Unread postby Tempest Kitsune » December 20th, 2012, 2:17 pm

I will be sleeping. I came into this world lazy, and I'll leave it the same way.
"Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."
— Captain America

Naruto RP Character - Takuma Itsuki, Special Jounin
Tempest Kitsune

Unread postby doc.exe » December 20th, 2012, 2:30 pm

Unless I’m forced once again into consented slavery (aka having to cover extra hours at work, because I know my boss will keep the business running even after the fire starts raining from the sky), I finally got Bayonetta and will be playing it like crazy tonight.

The premise of the game (slaying angels and the forces of heaven with a sexy witch and her demonic allies) is incredibly appropriate for the occasion if you think about it.
"No te tomes la vida demasiado en serio, al fin y al cabo no saldrás vivo de ella." Les Luthiers

"There are two essential rules to management. One, the customer is always right; and two, they must be punished for their arrogance." Dogbert
doc.exe

Unread postby MrRigger2 » December 20th, 2012, 2:55 pm

I will be sleeping. I came into this world lazy, and I'll leave it the same way.
I'm leaving the way I came in too. Naked, covered in someone else's blood, and screaming.

MrRigger
In engineering, the work is only done when there is nothing left to add. In writing, the work is only done when there is nothing left to take away.

Check out Between Magic and Mount Justice
MrRigger2

Unread postby Aldraia Dragonsong » December 20th, 2012, 3:26 pm

I would like to say I will be reading Cold Days, but my mother hid my copy, making that difficult. So instead, I will be spending the day with my family.
Random Scholomance Quote of However Long It Takes Me To Get Bored of the Last One:
“Ancell: respecting personal boundaries to the detriment of his friends since 1993.” ~bookworm702
Aldraia Dragonsong

Unread postby Arganaut » December 20th, 2012, 3:30 pm

A couple links to help those trying to keep just where in the world it is currently Doomsday.

http://www.worldtimezone.com/
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/c ... tml?sort=2
Arganaut

Unread postby gamebrain89 » December 20th, 2012, 3:53 pm

I will probably be stuffing my face with various goodies, cackling gleefully as I watch that one neighbor make a fool out of himself.
Think Globally. Act Within Local Variable Scope.
<div> Q: How do you annoy a Web Developer? </span>
Kingdom Hearts: Visions of Destiny- The Game So Far...
gamebrain89

Unread postby shadowspiri5 » December 20th, 2012, 4:52 pm

I will be walking around town with a portable boombox playing Europe's The Final Countdown all day.
If at first you don't succeed kill it with fire! Because why not?
shadowspiri5

Unread postby jgkitarel » December 20th, 2012, 6:22 pm

I will be walking around town with a portable boombox playing Europe's The Final Countdown all day.
:animlol:

I'll be working on my move and keeping that going. If there is a local panic, well, who knows... :biggrin:
Also, I have to punch you, jgkitarel, because I spent a lot of time on the nanoha wiki trying to locate information on mages being trained due to being above a certain rank, only to remember and confirm that you were the one that came up with that. - Phht
Don't forget: Mass Effect is powered by magic space rocks. Evangelion is powered by Your Mom.
From his new fic Long Night of the Harvest

My current project on FFN, Mystic Knight Online
jgkitarel

Unread postby Random_fan » December 20th, 2012, 8:52 pm

Well I'm going to be spending today with a friend, If I'm going to die today, I'm going to have fun beforehand.

Also here's a video for the apocalypse.
Random_fan

Unread postby Arganaut » December 21st, 2012, 1:07 am

Happy Doomsday American Eastern Seaboard!
Arganaut

Unread postby Disconnected » December 21st, 2012, 3:23 am

Welp the worlds been ended for 23 mins and so far nothings changed.
If the problem isn't solved, there are still survivors you missed.
Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.
Disconnected

Unread postby jgkitarel » December 21st, 2012, 7:51 am

Still here? Good.
Also, I have to punch you, jgkitarel, because I spent a lot of time on the nanoha wiki trying to locate information on mages being trained due to being above a certain rank, only to remember and confirm that you were the one that came up with that. - Phht
Don't forget: Mass Effect is powered by magic space rocks. Evangelion is powered by Your Mom.

jgkitarel

Unread postby Vael » December 21st, 2012, 12:08 pm

Oddest thing happened today, while I was at the mall I would have sworn I saw a guy in tweed with a bow tie on, laughing to himself as he ate some jelly babies. He was cheerfully talking about how he needed some new clothes...
~WARNING! MIND AT WORK!~

KH Wiki: The Keyhole
Fairly solid as a resource and rather organized, perfect for newcomers to KH.
Kingdom Hearts Wiki
Parent-site of The Keyhole, a little less organized in my opinion, but goes a little deeper into the mechanics of KH.
Vael

Unread postby Arganaut » December 21st, 2012, 2:07 pm

Oddest thing happened today, while I was at the mall I would have sworn I saw a guy in tweed with a bow tie on, laughing to himself as he ate some jelly babies. He was cheerfully talking about how he needed some new clothes...
Huh, that is odd. On my way downtown to pick up my new television, I could've swore I saw some guy with a buzz-cut and huge ears practically skipping down the street while he snacked on a banana. He was making small-talk about how Gangnam Style hit 1,000,000,000 views.
Arganaut

Unread postby jgkitarel » December 21st, 2012, 3:45 pm

Well now, that is odd. Then again, I've been seeing some odd things myself, including some lights in the sky. Thought it was my eyes playing tricks on me. Meh, the world and universe is full of strange things anyway.

jgkitarel

Unread postby Zankaru Zelladonii » December 21st, 2012, 6:16 pm

Many odd things happened today it seems. Some thief in a fez jumped through my window and stole my toaster.
"Machiavelli was wrong, it is better to be loved than feared. It is harder to get people to love you, but those bonds are that much harder to break."
I'm a Princeps, the #1 of a Titan, the crazy bastard who wears an angry house to work. - Tomas, Princeps of Warhound Titan Invictorus

~*~ Ultimate Viridian Dream's Fanfic Recommendation List ~*~
Zankaru Zelladonii

Unread postby Lightwhispers » December 21st, 2012, 6:46 pm

My pepperpot has gone missing!
EXTERMINATE! :burnt:
Warning: the above may contain strong language (which may be unsuitable for children), unusual humor (which may be unsuitable for adults), and logic (which may be unsuitable for stupid people).
-adapted from xkcd

I'm a solipsistic conspiracy theorist. I'm sure I must be up to something, and I will not stop until I find out what.
-xkcd
Lightwhispers

Unread postby Ristridin » December 21st, 2012, 6:59 pm

One minute to go in this time zone. The extermination event will have to be extremely fast to hit us in time.
Kingdom Hearts: Visions of Destiny Manual
Ristridin

Unread postby shadowspiri5 » December 21st, 2012, 8:26 pm

Six hours to go in the Central United States.
If at first you don't succeed kill it with fire! Because why not?
shadowspiri5

Unread postby doc.exe » December 22nd, 2012, 12:07 pm

Well, besides the rather inordinate amount of ambulances and police cars that I saw, that was the most uneventful apocalypse I have seen.

31/12/1999 was more interesting.
"No te tomes la vida demasiado en serio, al fin y al cabo no saldrás vivo de ella." Les Luthiers

"There are two essential rules to management. One, the customer is always right; and two, they must be punished for their arrogance." Dogbert
doc.exe

Unread postby jgkitarel » December 22nd, 2012, 12:41 pm

Rather boring. If it happened, I didn't know or notice the world ending.

jgkitarel

Unread postby doc.exe » December 24th, 2012, 12:10 pm

Well, Mesoamerican cultures were big about periodical cycles of destruction and rebirth, so how do we know the world didn’t got destroyed? Maybe it was then immediately reconstructed by the Mayan gods or something like that. :biggrin:

doc.exe

Unread postby jgkitarel » December 24th, 2012, 5:10 pm

Hmm, that is a good question. Perhaps it was destroyed and rebuilt without our even noticing.

jgkitarel

Unread postby Disconnected » December 25th, 2012, 3:08 am

The problem with that theory is that according to several "Experts on Mayan culture" the Mayan mythology stated that there would be five worlds and the next would come at the end of the last and said experts say that this was supposed to be the fifth world.
If the problem isn't solved, there are still survivors you missed.
Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.
Disconnected

Return to “%s” General Discussion